Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ The Empire ❯ Eleven Years Later ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
NOTE: Bear with me on this if, for some, the beginning may seem confusing for this whole story! I haven’t really mentioned much about where everything in this story is based.

This is based on the time when Kings and Queens ruled our world, there were knights in shining armor and damsels in distress. Dragons, witchcraft, warlocks and demons roam freely. I’m writing this as I go. I know how the ending will be and some parts in the middle; but everything else? You’re guess is as good as mine! I’ve created two countries that will be the main focus of all events. The Dryden’s own Laroxshire while the Blackwoods own Vanonber.

Enjoy!

Copyrighted to Casei (me) all characters and concept belong to me. Any resemblance to real life people or place is purely coincidental!
--------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 1

The sounds of swords clashing with one another rang through the courtyard as two men continued to battle under the heat of the mid day sun.

Seth ducked down as a sharp blade swooped over his head. Reaching his arm across and grabbing the other mans wrist, he sharply turns the wrist around forcing the man to grimace and drop his sword. He hit’s the middle of this mans chest sending him flying across the courtyard. Running towards him, Seth stops immediately in front of him and places the hilt of his sword to his throat.

“Have you not had enough of this embarrassment? “ Seth humorously inquired.

Blake merely chuckled as he swats Seth sword aside and lifts himself up.

"Oy, Seth!" hollered a blonde haired man as he leapt the last few steps onto the courtyard.

"You better get your ass up to the parlor, your mother's becoming anxious as the day gets later."

Smirking, Seth tosses his sword onto a table piled with weapons as he throws his coat back on him. "Why is she in such a rush? Worried that the Dryden's might change their minds and go back on their word?"

"War will be at their doorsteps if that happens," Blake threatened as he follows step with the two other men.

"Ay," agreed Harold, "though it won't be so bad if they do go back on their agreement. Their whole country will be given up to you."

"What difference does it make my simple minded friends?" laughed Seth as they walked up the final concrete steps up to the palace, "Whether I marry this brawd or they don’t follow through on their agreement, I will be king of both countries either way."

The men shake their head in disbelief at that comment. To fathom both countries uniting for the first time after thousands of years by the time the sun sets on that day; it was too much to take in.

“What does Rose say about all this?” Blake cautiously inquired.

“She knows my position,” Seth softly replied, “my heart will always belong to her. This marriage is merely a business deal. Once I marry the Dryden’s daughter and she bares me an heir; she’ll be too busy with that child and what ever other female task simple minded women do to even bother with me. In no time I will be able to be back in my Rosies arms and everyone will be happy. I don’t see how this concerns any of you.”

“Have you even seen this bride of yours?” Harold asked.

“I sent Rafael to the dragon tamers to pick up my brides,” it looked as if Seth swallowed a lemon as he said that word, “wedding gift. On the way I task him to try to take a glimpse at her and report back to me. From what he saw, I fear I would rather marry the dragon I’m giving her.”

“Eck, what can you expect from those Dryden’s.” Harold replied with disgust. “They say Jerock kept his daughter in lock and key and it was almost impossible for anyone to see her other than her maid and father of course.”

“I shall intend to keep it that way,” Seth chuckled as they reached the entrance to the great parlor.

“Well adieu for the moment my compadres,” he continued as he reached for the door knob. “The next time you see me, I will be an unhappy, yet wealthier, married man.”

Blake and Harold saluted their friend in farewell and turned to walk back to the courtyard to finish their sparring before the ceremony of the century for the next week begins.

“You do know his wife is not as ugly as Rafael made Seth believe, right?” Blake questioned with a slight smirk on his face.

Harold looked over to his friend quite puzzled, “Is she now?”

Blake laughed as he slaps his friends back. “I was with Rafael when we saw her; she was bathing in a lake quite a distance away from her palace. Believe me, if we weren’t listening hard enough in the forest to hear her laughing, we would never have found it.”

“I can’t believe you’ve kept this from me!” Harold accused.

Harold and Blake were Seth’s trusted friends, advisors and not to mention the generals of the Blackwoods massive army. All three had known each other since childhood and have always been inseparable. So it was understandable that Harold was slightly vexed at the concept that Blake had kept something as intriguing as this from him for some time.

“You are horrible at lying to Seth, so of course I did!” Blake retorted.

“Well, what did she look like?”

“Nice.”

“Nice? Is that all?”

“Well when Seth sees her, I’m sure he would rather bed her than a flaming dragon; I will tell you that.”

“That tells me nothing!”

“In time my dear friend, in time.”

“I could strangle you.”

“No, no you couldn’t.” Blake replied amusingly.

*****
“Seth... Darling, Look at your clothes,” Melayna worried as she walked across the room to her son. “Must you play with your friends when time is drawing near for the ceremony?”

Seth smiled softly at his mother seeing her brow wrinkle and realizing that age has finally caught up with this beautiful woman. It had not even been a year since his father passed away, but it seemed to take toll on her; seeming as if years had been stolen to her now frail body. He knew with his father dead, his mother was missing half her soul and it wouldn’t be soon before she too is gone.

Clearing his mind of such horrible thought, he clears his throat.

“You act as if I am still a child, mother.” he jested as he pulls his mother into a warm embrace. “You forget I am almost twenty-five. What we do is not child’s play with wooden swords anymore.”

“I know,” she sighs as she fixes her sons hair. “Today is just an important day; I just want everything to be the way your father and I wanted it to be for you.” She had sadness in her eyes, “We’ve asked so much from you. I just hope you understand that what you’re doing will bring great happiness to both countries and myself.”

“Well if it makes you happy,” Seth joked. “Ever since I was fourteen, I have accepted this and do not think of it as a burden for me. It is such a small request you or anyone could possibly ask from me. And I’m sure Jerock is more than happy that I would marry his ogre of a daughter.”

Melayna looked perplexed. “I don’t remember his daughter resembling an ogre what-so-”

“Oh she is.” Seth replied sure of himself.

Melayna waved her hand nonchalantly, “I don’t really know what you’re insinuating Seth, but now’s not the time to talk about ogres or monsters or whatever you and your friends have concocted. Now go freshen up and get ready. We leave within the hour.”

Seth smiled as he turned to leave the room.

“Oh Seth… there is one more thing…”

With a smile still on his face he turns his head to face her.

“About Rose… you must stop seeing her. It isn’t right.”

The smile slowly faded as his eyes turned a dark shade.

“I should have stopped it years ago, but I thought it was merely a childhood crush.” Melayna continued, “But now, you are to be King and it isn’t fair for your future wife to have-”

“Do not ask me to end it, mother.” he replied with harshness on his voice. “I am giving Jerocks daughter my last name and marriage. Something I will never give to anyone else; especially someone that I actually care about. For the remainder of my life, she will bear my children for who will rule after I’m gone. Children I don’t care for from a woman I DON’T care for. I do not regret any of this, yet I also do not expect you to tell me to stop being happy.”

“I will provide her shelter, children, and kindness. But my heart will never be hers. Please do not force me to give up my only happiness. Rose has never bothered you or anyone else. Do not as me of this, mother.” he finished.

With that, Seth exit’s the room slamming the door behind him with Melayna holding back her tears.

You’re blind, my son. Melayna thought to herself as she dabbed her eyes with a handkerchief. You’re body may be that of a man, and your mind is that of a Kings-- but Rose has blinded you with her beauty and your lust has made you foolish.

She looks out the window and watches repulsively as she sees a raven haired woman locked in a passionate kiss with one of Seth’s soldiers.

“How could he love that whore.”