Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ Kalin's Journey ❯ Begginings ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Kalin: chameleon-main character
Hindrek-Black wolf-Best Friend
Hito-Chameleon. Trainer for Arena Fighters.
Sheddek-Bat Fox, desert. Slave for Kalin

Bronze Kalidin: 1 Kalidin
Silver Kalidin:10 Kalidin
Gold Kalidin:50 Kalidin
Platinum Kalidin:100 Kalidin
(ALL CHARAS ARE COPYRIGHTED BY RAVEN VENICE)
(STORY COPYRIGHTED BY RAVEN VENICE)



I ran down the road, the toes of my talons the only part of me making contact with the ground, my long scaled tail straight behind me, acting to steer me where I needed to go, my scaled muzzle panting from the exertion. My tail curved to the right, my momentum and the wind causing me to veer into the right side walkway, I dipped around various other furs, I forced the tip of my tail left, veering me into the bar, I skidded to a stop, dropping into the barstool, I smiled, the best a chameleon anthro could, my body already shifting to hide me where I sat. I didn't have much control over my color changes, they were usually done on their own...and had been known to lead to some...less then useful situations.
I frowned, digging in my trenchcoat, "Where on earth did I...oh there they are." I pulled out a pack of marlboros, tapping out one, I looked at the pack, it was still half full. I smiled, tapping it on the counter, I acted like I was lighting a lighter in the direction of the bartender, shrugging my shoulders. he smiled, coming over, he lit the cigarrette for me, and then asked me what I wanted. "Hrm. I'll take a screwdriver if I can." I asked, as I watched him shake the vodka and orange juice together, I hummed, puffing at the ciggarrette, my skin nearly blended into the chair under me...I was still noticable...just striped like wood.I sipped the vodka orange juice mixture while smoking my ciggarrette, remembering some of the more humurous moments of the last 15 years of my life.
The most rememberable time for me, Was when I had fallen asleep on top of a checkerboard at one of my sparring partner's places, and had been asleep for at least 8 hours.
***FlashBack***
"Yo! Kalin! Come get something to eat!"
"Uhrm?" I groaned, raising my head. I frowned, seeing red and black squares in front of me, I looked down the length of my muzzle, then down the length of my body. "Oh you have GOT to be shitting me. Yo! Hindrek! How long was I out??!?!?!?!" I said as I started walking outside. I knew that my scales would change back in about 10 minutes, but still.
"A few hours wh...oh." he said, his eyes getting big as he tried not to fall over laughing. I glanced over at the full body mirror next to me. I had thought only my head had changed...nope. I was a walking talking checkerboard. my buddy landed on the ground with a loud thump and a laughing "OW!" as he began rolling around on the ground, laughing. I rolled my eyes, playfully kicking him off the porch, I shook my head. He got back up, looking away, "Dude, you have to find someone willing to teach you how to control that...I mean dude...you litterally change into whatever your on for more then 10 minutes...and only when you focus on it can you keep it from changing...but you and focusing on doing 2 things make it very very difficult." I shrugged, chuckling as I thought of something.
"I could always go ninja style?" He rolled his eyes, forcing me to move to the lawn, as I was starting to disappear on him. I shrugged. "What? It'd work!"
"Yeah, until you decided to become the same color as your suit, then you'd just be this black shadow, and we'd have to keep you away from all things black, since all anyone would see is your eyes...and yeah. yee. might be a bit freaky." I shrugged, my tail slithering back and forth along the ground, I was pacing back and forth across the walkpath and grass, so my body wouldn't change. I looked over at my friend, wondering why I had to be cursed with the chameleon blood.
I shrugged again. "Well, I could always wear a cloak or something...even though I'd probably end up merging with the cloak, which would be amusing. Though, I didn't know if I could really tolerate wearing a cloak, as clothing was more for fashion...very few people actually wore clothes anymore. They were cumbersome, expensive, and often had to be custom made. I had a pair of jeans and a shirt in my room, custom sized and shaped to my body. I never wore them, as noted above, they were cumbersome and useless, but if I had to be in a situation where someone had to see me, that was the best way.
I also knew that I could learn to control it subconciously, but it wouldn't be the easiest. I looked down, chuckling, my mind was having problems deciding what color I was supposed to be, my scales different shades of grey and green. I sat down on the white fence, looking over at him. "I don know. I hate clothing, but until I learn to control this shifting of colors...I might just have to get used to em."
"Well, yeah. I mean, if you can find someone that's willing to stick with you 24/7 and do something to get your attention every time you start to change without thinking about it...but i don't think you'd find anyone willing to do that. I'd be willing, but I think we'd end up killing eachother by the end of the day." I nodded, subconciously picturing a desert, I opened my eyes, my scales a sandy brown.
"Well...I could always talk with the Arena Trainer...he might be of some use. What was his name again?" I sat there, thinking, one eye closed. "Oh yeah. Hito." I shrugged, turning my head as a large, very obnoxious fly began buzzing near my head. I snapped my jaw, crushing the exoskeleton, I chewed, throwing my muzzle back, the dead fly disappearing down my throat. In this world, everything grew to abnormal sizes, a fly could stand at 3 feet from the ground, and was not even noticed.
"Well. Might as well go talk to the old bastard." I said, my friend looking at me in minor disgust. Hindrek had never gotten used to me eating insects, and often found it to be rather gross, even if it did help keep them off the food during picnics. I personally didn't even notice when I did it, it just happened. I began walking, my tail dragging on the ground, sifting left and right as we walked.
***End Flashback***