Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ Kalin's Journey ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]
CHAPTER 2
I pulled my key out of my pocket, sliding it into the keyhole, I turned the key, then removed it before opening the door. I stepped into my house, looking around. I shrugged, opening my closet, I slid my trenchcoat off, I brushed off a bit of dust, then hung it up on a hanger. I slid my sheathed blades off of my back, laying them against the wall, I did the same with the oversized silver tower shield, leaning it against the other wall. I walked into the kitchen, I turned on a nearby radio, one of my favorite rock stations coming on, I hummed as I went through the pantry, looking for something to cook.
I frowned, shaking my head. I seriously needed to find someone that could cook for me. I had been living alone for about 2 years now, and had just got out of training. I closed my eyes, grabbing the first thing I touched from the fridge, pulling out what appeared to be rotten meat. I groaned, throwing it away. I was really really tired of this happening, the house hadn't been cleaned in a month, I was always tired, and I never had the energy to cook. I rubbed my head, my eyes closed, I really REALLY didn't want to deal with this.
I growled, throwing together an oversized ham sandwhich, I put the ham back, turned the radio off, and turned on the TV. I flipped through the channels randomly, looking for anything to watch at 8:00 at night. I stopped, the beggining of some over cheasy movie coming on, The theme being that of zombies taking over the world or some stupid shit like that. I rolled my eyes, flopping down on the unmade bed-couch, my tail laying flat on the bed. I shrugged, figuring it was better then nothing, chewing on the sandwhich, I soon found myself falling asleep.
I woke up the next morning, groaning, I rolled over, my tail getting pinched between bed and foot, I growled, rolling off, I moved my tail, sitting up. Sometimes having a tail was a nuisance, but not having it was weird none the less. I had the chance of finding out once, when I was in the arena with an anthroeagle, and she wanted me...and I don't mean sexually. She was trying to eat me. In the process of the fight, I had ended up with an eagle head, and a stub of a tail. Thankfully, my tail grew back in about a week. I groaned, looking at my watch, then at the calendar. I had training at 4, and it was only 8. why was I already up?
I went to the kitchen, digging in the drawers, I pulled out a good sized chunk of cash, about 5 million Platinum Kalidins. I sifted through them, opening a carrying case, I dropped in 100 platinum Kalidin, figuring it'd be enough to do some shopping with, and get a "servant" of sorts. I threw my carrying case over my shoulder, I opened my front door, ducking outside, I closed and locked the front door, walking to the nearest coffee shop. As I walked around, I passed a mechanic's shop, in the back of the shop, I could see a 10 story tall mecha, what appeared to be a smaller, lighter version of the Dragon, or DRG-1. I had been in one, and would never go in another one again. I hated enclosed spaces, and I was extremely claustrophibic. That was also the reason I NEVER wore armor, and had learned to hate anything but a trenchcoat as clothing. I chuckled, one track of my mind kept on a far away desert, the mental world I used to keep myself from chameleoning, I didn't even have to think about it anymore, it just happened.
I walked into the coffee-shop, one eye closed, the other turned toward theshop-keeper, I smiled. "I'll take a white chocoloate mint mocha with 4 extra shots." the robin blinked at me.
"Are you sure?" I nodded. I was awake, but not awake enough. He shrugged, going to the back to take care of it. I pulled out one of the platinum kalidins, flipping it through my fingers, I waited for the guy to hurry up, my other hand drumming halfway annoyedly on the table. This guy seemed to strive to be slow, and I wasn't one for patience, especially when the temperature was about 115 degrees outside, and my blood ran cold. I ran a taloned hand over my head, my eyes blinking. I smiled as he laid it in front of me, he eyed the platinum kalidin, eager to get his hands on it. I smiled, shaking my head. "I'll be paying, don't worry about it." I said.
I walked out of the shop, flicking a bronze kalidin, my other hand catching it, I continued to flick and catch as I waltzed down the street, humming to myself. "He may be slow, but he can cook.." I said, turning my head to the side as I saw something move. I shrugged it off, as nothing of massive danger was there. I stopped in front of a large wooden gate, looking up and down it, I hated the smell wafting out of the place...The "slave" market always smelled of old sex and death. I shrugged, wondering if I should really be "hiring" a thief or murderer to keep my place clean...but it was cheap labor...you kept them fed, they did your work. I stepped inside, shaking my head. I muttered to myself, a silk handkerchief appearing in my extended talons, I wrapped the end of it around my nose.
I breathed through the handkerchief, glad to have something to block the smell, I walked about the market, looking at those who had been caught breaking the laws, and checking their time. I didn't want someone that would only last me a few months...I needed at least 15 years...The time I would be stuck in the Arena. I could "retire" in 10-15 years, as long as I didn't get to badly beaten, and so far had done a good job at that.
I stopped in front of a male Anthrobatfox, his fur a beautiful light brown. I reached down, pulling up his rapsheet, he was a major thief, who had been caught 25 other times, and was now serving a lifetime sentence. I raised an eyebrow, looking up at him, I could actually see it. I went back to the sheet, looking for any signs or problems that could arise. I glanced back at him, he wore nothing more then a loincloth, orange collar, a metal leash, and his hands were locked behind him in leather cuffs. I checked his sheet again, He wasn't known for being much of an escape artist, if anything his thefts where untrained and weak.
I thought to myself. I scrolled down the sheet, letting my finger do the walking, I blinked, looking at the price. They only wanted 50 platinum kalidins. I shrugged, looking up the name of the arresting officer.