Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ Kalin's Journey ❯ chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]
I hummed, looking over the rules for slaves. To give them clothes was to give them freedom, but it had to be full covering, and slaves couldn't be beat for not obeying if the order would put them in mortal danger. They couldn't be given more then 3 platinum Kalidins a month, unless they were to buy their freedom, which, in his case, was out of the question...He couldn't buy his freedom.
I looked over at him, "I'm Kalin, and you are?" He shrugged, raising an eyebrow as he looked at me, his big ears laying to the sides. He was about the same height as me, shorter by an inch, unless his ears were up, then he had an inch on me. He had blue eyes and his face hinted at a smile, no matter what mood he would be in.
"I don't have a name. I'm only a slave. Unless you want to give me a name." He said with a sneer, looking at me as if I was stupid. I growled at him, I knew I would have to get used to this guy...he was a lot like me. Cocky, smart, and a smart ass.
"Fine. I'll think of a name for you. And don't take that tone with me. I don't plan on ever using a whip, but if I have to, I'll make sure to leave a few scars. Now. I'm an arena fighter, so that means that I won't have any qualms about chopping your head off, even in my sleep." He just smiled, his eyes looking at the ground. "So, while we work our way to our house...you know what? are you hungry?"
"Yeah, I kinda am...haven't eaten in a few days...last meal was bread and water." I nodded. I knew how it felt to go hungry, Hito having trained me to survive in both the desert and forests of the local areas. I had learned how to hunt, fish, sneak, and everything else, in the time period of a year, I could survive anywhere in the world, minus a volcano mind you. I glanced over at him, sizing him up, I shrugged.
"Well, what kind of food do you like?" I asked him.
"Uhm...not really picky...I could go for a pepperoni and cheese pizza...sir." I smiled, nodding. I figured there'd be no point to threatening him, I wanted to be on this guy's good side...let him know that working for me would actually work for his better. As we walked to the nearby pizzarina, I frowned looking at my watch. "Listen. I've got to go to training. If you want to come and watch, you can...or you can go to my house and start cleaning...but if you come, you'll have to wait till later to eat." he shrugged, seeming to ponder.
"I'll stay with you." I nodded, buying a bag of jerky from a local stall, I took a few chunks, passing him the rest of the bag.
"Should keep you for the time." He nodded, as I ordered him to keep up, running to the arena. Hito was going to be pissed...I was already 5 minutes late...and hadn't even realized it. We ran, I glanced over, amazed at how well he kept up with me, in my days I had strengthened my leg muscles to the point that most people saw me as nothing but a blur of lightening, and this little fox was actually keeping up with me. I zipped to the left, through the gates of the arena, turning right into a training room, Hito sitting there, looking at his watch.
"Your late."
"I know. I apologize. I was doing some shopping for a housecleaner. I think I found one that'll suffice. but enough. It's not an excuse for my lateness. I deeply apologize." He nodded, without saying another word, I saw his hand flick out. I turned my head, my eye locking onto the first of the 5 daggers, I flicked out my sword, tagging the first one, I moved to the left to dodge the second, the third tapping the edge of my blade. The fourth clipped my snout, opening a gash between my eyes, the fifth slamming into my shoulder, causing me to step back a few steps. I ripped the dagger out, gasping, I glared at him. "WHAT THE HELL?"
I ran a paw over the cut, my hand glowing as the wound sealed itself. I flicked my sword to a defensive stance. "Your training started 20 minutes ago. You should always keep your guard up. who's he?" Hito said, drawing his longsword. I shrugged, rolling my sword in my hand, keeping him in front of me, about 4 feet between us.
"Haven't named him yet. He's my new housekeeper." I slammed the sword down, deflecting a slash aimed for my legs, bringing my sword up, I pressed the lonsword away again.
"Ah. thought maybe you'd gotten desperate for a mate." I rolled my eyes, expecting such banter from this old fool. In the time I'd been around him, I had found that he wasn't as bad as people thought, he just liked to keep most people away. He pressed forward, his blade aimed for my chest. I ducked to the side, bringing my sword down on his leg. He sidestepped, his sword's flat end sliding across my side. "One hit for me."
"And one for me." I brought the flat of my blade up, stopping inches from his crotch. He glanced down, blinking.
"A kill shot at that. good job." I shrugged.
"You're an excellent teacher. Only problem is your old." I smiled, laughing as he dropped his weapons, chameleoning to the environment, I did the same. "C'mon old man...afraid to fight me face to face now?" I closed my eyes, knowing they no longer served any purpose, I slid my foot across the floor, careful not to make any sound as I moved away from where I was standing, knowing he was probably going to try and ambush me. I opened an eye, laughing as my slave looked around, wondering where the hell we'd gone.
I shuffled across the floor, my tail sifting the dirt on the ground, I slid behind my slave, tapping him on the shoulder. "Dont' run off." I chuckled as he tried to keep from jumping through the roof. I patted his head, then moved back into the arena. I dipped down as I felt a change in the wind, claws raking where my face was, my foot snapping to the side, I smiled, feeling resistance, I flipped backwards, landing on all fours. "C'mon old man! Your slow!"
"That's what you think." I blinked, wondering how he'd gotten behind me so fast, as he pinned my arms behind my back. I smiled, focusing my energy into my skull, I slammed back, my head meeting his jaw. He grunted, letting go as he stepped back, I could see his green blood dripping from his broken lip. "Not bad. Shouldn't have gotten that hit in though. Your training is over for today. I want you back here tommorow for an Arena match." I nodded, returning to my preffered desert sand color, I shook the old man's hand, giving him a hug.
"Don't die on me you ol bastard." I smiled, waving as I sheathed my sword on my back, waving to my slave to follow. We left, walking down the street. I hummed to myself as we walked.
"How did you do that? I mean the healing thing?"
"It's easy. Next time you get a cut, just imagine the wound sealing itself shut, while focusing your energy into making it so. It takes practice, but it's a nifty trick." He nodded, following me as I turned into a pizzaria. "What kind of pizza did you want again?"
"Eh...Pepporoni if I can?" I nodded, digging into my satchel, I made the order, going and finding an empty booth. I sat down, motioning for him to sit across from me. "So, you don't have a name, you've got an attitude, but I think I can trust you." He shrugged, looking around.
"Maybe you can, maybe you can't. Personally, I think your a great guy, but I don't know if I really want to be working for you...I mean what's in it for me?"
"What do you want?"
"Alot of things, few of them I think you could provide." I shrugged, smiling as the pizza came over. I took a slice, chewing on it, I glanced at him.
"Try me. I've got resources."
"Heh, fine. First off, I want to learn how to fight. I want to be trained in the art of using the staff and bow. Second, A fair amount of freedom. In other words, an area that I'm free to travel to on my own time. Third, A partner. I wasted my chances when I was a thief, and now I regret what I did, and have alot of things I wanted to do that I never got a chance to."
"I'll talk to Hito, he can get you a trainer. As long as you do what I tell you to, you can go where you please, as long as your back by the end of training. Finally, well, show me I can trust you enough, and we'll see what we can do." I said around the pizza, watching him eat. I hated to admit it, but I was kind of attracted to him.
After we finished, we walked home, I opened the door for him, letting him enter first, following behind. He blinked. "Don't you ever clean?!?!?!"
"Don't have time." I watched him walk around, tiptoeing around various things. He looked at the kitchen, shaking his head. I shrugged, putting my sword away in my closet.
"I know. It's bad. why do you think I invested in you. I'm going to bed, your first job is to clean the place up. I don't know where your gonna sleep, but you can figure that out when you get there." he raised an eyebrow at me, shrugging. "And don't try to run. I can and will hunt you personally, and I will enjoy it." He nodded, knowing I was serious. I rolled onto the bed, wrapping the blankets around myself, I fell asleep to the clattering of dishes.