Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ Legacy of Treasure Island ❯ Chapter 1: Long John Silver’s Journal ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter 1: Long John Silver’s Journal

““I -I got another letter from…his father.” A woman, around thirty-nine, dressed in a coffee brown work-dress and an apron, whispered sadly.
““…And?” An older man, 42, replied.
““I have to hide it from him. He’ll get so upset when he reads this. He’ll…he’ll. It’s too painful.” She paused. “Please Dylan. You - You HAVE promise to never tell him!”” The woman said between her small sobs. The man, Dylan, Took a long pause. He had doubt etched in his face. Dylan looked at the woman before him. Her hair was in a tangled mess, from the pulling of frustration. Her eyes were wet, and almost red. Her face was tear-stained and damp. Dylan sighed in defeat. “Alright, Sarah.”
““Thank You, Dylan. Thank you.” She whispered.
James Hawkins stood there, on the roof beside his mother’s window. Hiding in the still black shadow of the moon. He had heard every word his mother and Dylan had said. And with every word his mother said, an unbearable anger grew in his heart. However, it was not anger towards his mother, but an anger, a burning fury towards his father. All his Life, James’s father had never been there for him. For them. He did not support his family. And so James’s mother had to run the inn her family before her had created. It was this reason that all his life James never got the needed attention from his mother. He had no father.
““Wretch.” James scowled.

*************************************

“ 220;Mom! Mom!” James, a small seven year old back then called to Sarah, his mother. Back then she was young and hadn’t undergone so much stress. Back then she was strong. Worst of all, back then, James had no idea. “Hey, there, Pup!” His mother called. Her little seven year old son ran to her, so caught up in his excitement he hadn’t noticed the dirty old rag on the ground. Before he got to her, James slipped on the rag and fell into his mother’s arms. Sarah chuckled, “Oh, James, be careful will you? I don’t want you hurt.” Sarah’s seven year old child squirmed out of her arms and waved his own arms excitedly. “Momma, Momma! I have to ask you something! When’s father coming back? I wanna show him this,” James pulled out a picture from his back pocket. ““See momma? See? It’s dad and shipmates fighting a crew of PIRATES!”” James grinned with pride. His father was, after all, the first mate of a ship. Or… so he thought. Sarah’s expression shifted from happy, with curiosity, to shocked, with sadness. She pulled her son into a comforting embrace. This confused James. Why had his mother been so happy a moment ago, only to become sad now? Sarah buried her face into the crook of James’ neck and began to cry. She cried for her poor son. She cried for the childhood he would have to miss out on, due to their unhealthy life. Most of all, she cried, for the father her son could never have, but, thought he had.

--------------------------------------

Seven years had passed since then, and James, now fourteen, was fully aware that didn’t have his, so called ‘proud father’. He now knew his father was not a man of high standards. In fact that was the only thing James knew about his father. That, and his father went around looking for work with random fishing companies. Also his father would probably never be there for him.
““James!” a shrill, high pitched voice called. It was Hannah. Her younger brother, John, not too far behind. “James!” This time it was John. “Look what came in the mail for us, it’s…”” James didn’t listen. He didn’t care. True these two were his friends. But whatever it was they were talking about, wasn’t any concern of his.
““It’s great, huh?” John quirked after summarizing the letter to James. “Yea…” James droned. He wasn’t sure if what was said great, or if he should comment about it.
““What about you James?” John inquired. James had no idea what John was asking about. So he said the smartest thing possible. “Wha?”
““Your dad comin’?” Hannah chimed in that small bit of information. Now James was lost, coming to what? What was there to come to? What was the letter about? Why hadn’t he listened? “Coming to what?” James voiced his inward questions. Both his friends began to laugh. “Where else? The carnival next week!” Both the siblings exclaimed. James’ expression went from confused, to blatantly upset. He couldn’t blame them though. They didn’t know about his father. They didn’t know his father rarely ever came home. They didn’t know James and his father had only interacted at least three times in all his fourteen years on earth. How could they? He never told anyone. Not even his closest friends. “No.” James replied bluntly. Like a knife which hadn’t been sharpened. With that James stalked off, once again angry. And a silent darkness surrounded him once again.

*************************************

Today, James was seventeen. His birthday passed a little over two weeks ago. He had dropped out of school in grade 11. James didn’t do it because he hated school, well, not entirely. He did to free some extra time to help his mother with her several jobs. She had many now. An Inn Keeper/cleaner/ manager/owner. The inn was also a dinner and pub. She also had to control the dock at the beach the inn built on. Well more like, it was on a hill that led to the beach. A two minute walk to the beach in fact. And the dock well, she had to manage it meaning she had to keep track of those using it was a sort of mini-port for their boats. It wasn’t an easy life for them. So James decided dropping out would help at least a little. At first, it caused more stress on Sarah but she accepted that James would not go back to school. And she decided it would be alright. And James himself never minded the work. Besides while he was at school James was involved in many bad things. He always got into fights, thus getting suspended. And he got ticketed for speeding on his motorcycle. Yes, he had somehow gotten his licence. That’s James. Angst filled from life and all its heavy burdens. Like one of those misfits you see at school who do all sorts of things to get into trouble. At a first glance you’d imagine James as an antagonist in a modern fairytale story. Or perhaps the mysterious, man who was perfect, but without anyone else knowing it had a problematic life.
He kicked a rock down the hill and stared at it as it rolled helplessly towards the beach. No control of where it could go. Gravity forcing it downwards. ‘Just like my life. Never goes up. Only forced down.” James pushed forward, striding slowly down the beach to kick the rock more. His hands in the pocket of his black biker jacket. A cold wind blew through his hair. An unfelt shiver played down James’ spine. ‘It’s cold tonight….I hope you die fath--”
CRASH! James thoughts were interrupted as a small motorboat crashed into the dock. Right away James knew who the idiot driving it was. He didn’t have to take a second guess. “Bill that drunken idiot. He’s driving under influence…again.” James rushed to ‘The Bones”’ Bill’s boat. Bill was an alcohol addict. Having tried every alcoholic beverage created. He constantly abused the alcohol and over drank. James found it amazing Bill wasn’t dead yet.
““Bill! Dammit, Bill you fag! You ruined the damned dock again!” James yelled as he grabbed the collar of Bill’s smelly coat, shaking him a bit. Bill suddenly wrenched James hands away and pulled at his wrists, rather viciously. “James, Run boy, RUN!” He yelled not a drip of drunkenness in his voice.
““The Hell? Why? Bill wh-” James was roughly pulled to his feet and dragged by a swiftly running Bill. The ’drunk’ man ran to the Inn. Knowing that Sarah never locked the door until after one o’clock in the morning, Bill barged in, pushed James into a chair, and slammed the door. James stared as Bill began frantically to lock the door. ‘Every lock? Okay, not even mom does that.” James thought. He hadn’t noticed his mother run downstairs. The bang of door, when slammed shut, had woken her. “James why on earth did you-- Bill! What are you doing here you know that the dock is closed! You can’t--” Bill shushed Sarah before she could rant on about policies. Sarah at a loss for words, began to stutter her disapproval of Bill shushing her. “I said SHUSH! Dammit woman.” Now Sarah went completely quiet. James stared at his mother. He too, was at a loss for words. Bill slinked to the window. He pulled the blinds down. James looked back at Bill. ‘What is he looking for?’ James wondered as Bill scanned the view outside. Whatever it was he was searching for it wasn’t there. And whatever it was, it must have been something he feared. For when Bill found that it was not there. He heaved a sigh of great relief. “Bill?” James finally croaked out. The man James called to looked up as if he just remembered James was there. He got up from his seat on the floor and grabbed James’ shoulders.

““James,” His voice was shaken. Not from the drinks, but from fear, ““I was- I was at a pub somewhere down the coast. I went after fishin’. And there was a group. Pirates I tell ye boy. Pirates! And a young girl there with ‘em. I thought maybe she was a pris’ner. But, no James. She was the lead. One little mistake and they gotten the worse beating of their life!” Bill flinched as the memory inflicted his mind. Bill released his tight hold on James’ now sore shoulders. He crawled over to his bag, and pulled out an old, ugly book. It was crusted and torn. Obviously many centuries old. The addict stood up. The book in both hands. When he got in front of James he did nothing but stare at the book. Then, suddenly he pushed the book into James hands. James, who almost fell backwards, looked at the dusty old book. ‘Lng Joh Sver junal? What the hell?’ James thought as he looked at the cover of the crusted antique. A shock jolted through James which caused him to jump. Bill had grabbed his arms again. “James, I stole this from her!” He was gasping and sounded utterly terrified. “It MUST be important James. For her and crew they were chasin’ me in their boats; shooting at me!”” James was shaken slightly by Bill who trembled. “Take it James. Do whatever. Hide it, sell it. Anything juts look out for a girl with-- AHHH!!”” James’ mother screamed as a pulled shot through the glass windows and purged into Bill’s heart. James was shaken, and somewhat disgusted, as the dead man fell into lap. Sarah grabbed the stair railings, leaned over, and screamed. “Bill!” She was about to run to help him but James pushed him off, and grabbed his mother. “Mom, there’s no time! We’ve got to get out of here!” James yelled over the sounds of shattering glass. He knew whoever was chasing Bill, found them. And he knew whoever was chasing Bill would find him. And he knew He had put both him and his mother in a great load of danger. He didn’t bother to look back behind him. Even when he heard someone find Bill.
““He doesn’t have it!… Look upstairs!” One of them men looked upstairs and saw James turn to run into a room. “There someone’s running away!” They were about to chase James until another man called to him. “Don’t! We’ll do this the hard way.” James wondered what that meant. From the corner, he could listen to what they were saying. “Damn it.” James groaned. He wanted to stop and think a while but then, he smelt… Fire! They were going to set that place on fire. “Damn.” James jumped up. He could hear them running up the stairs to catch him and his mother. “They’re in that room!” James gasped and slammed the door locking it. The men started banging it. “Give us the book boy!”
““I don’t have it!” James tried, hoping that maybe these men were stupid.
““We aint stupid, boy!” So much for that theory. “Why else would ya run away like this?” James tried to think, but he couldn’t. There was too much pressure. He could die. His mother could die! The place would burn down! His thoughts were interrupted when he heard a different man. A more literate voice yell, “Have it your way, bud, we’re gonna smash down this house, kill you and the lady, slowly!” At this, all the men began to laugh. James groaned in frustration and his mother gasped. He could hear them running up to the door until. “Captain said stop! Captain said STOP!” It was still a man. But a quiet more shy type of person. James could tell from just the voice.
““What do you mean ’stop‘?” this was inquired by the more literate man. The shyer one replied saying, “I mean captain wants you to cut it out and just blow this place up!” James eyes widened. “Oh. No… mom we have to get out now!” James yelled at her and…

*************************************

A light stung James eyes. He did not remember much of what happened a few hours ago. He could only remember Bill, the pirates, the book and-
““Mom!” James shot up. He was in a bed, but - it was not his bed. It was someone else’s. ’I know who’s - Dylan.’ James stared at the blanket on his lap for a while and the shot his head up towards the door. He could hear people talking. Dylan, now the police, and Dylan again, then his mother. ‘She’s safe. That’s a relief.’ He slinked quietly off the bed and tried his best not to make a sound. When he was sure the floors would creak, he moved to the door. He opened it, just a bit, then watched and listened.
““Pirates?” His mother. Her back was to him. But he could she was confused just by the way she bent over a bit. A police nodded. “Yes, miss. Pirates.” Dylan nodded. He cupped his chin with hand and had the look of that funny statue, the one that was always thinking. What was it called again? James shook the thought away when he heard Dylan ask, “What else have you found?”
““Nothing, Sir, I’m afraid we found nothing. The inn was badly destroyed the explosions they used were, how can I explain… they were ones you would use in a war.” This time, a female officer spoke. James knew her! She was the one who brought him home after speeding. James heard his mother gasp. Dylan, knowing Sarah would not speak, put his hand on shoulder and thanked the officers bidding them both farewell and a pleasant night. ‘Pleasant night? How can this be a pleasant night?’ His home was gone, he had no idea what his mother and him would do, He didn’t understand what Bill was going to say and he what the book that caused all this was-
““The book.” James ran back to them bed. He tripped over something on floor and fell, fortunately landed on his bed. He looked up and saw the old book on the side table drawer. Pushing himself to a sitting position. James picked up the book and stared at it. Question began to run trough his head as he looked at this book. This book, the source of their current problems. ‘What was Bill going to say? What did he say? Look out for someone…whatever.’ He opened the book then had a surge of memory. He remembered how the miraculously escaped.

--------------------------------------

“I mean captain wants you to cut it out and just blow this place up!” The shy voice screamed. James ran to his mother he grabbed her and jumped out the window. Luck for them the roof was there. He put her down and pulled her to her feet. They ran on the rook two where James parked his motorcycle. His mother started to scream protesting to what she knew he was going to make them do. He would make them jump. She pulled at her son, once a small innocent child now, a carefree daredevil. James jumped forward launching both him and her off the roof and well, somewhere close to his bike. The grass wasn’t so bad to land on, thanks to moisture of the beach. James pulled himself to his knees he could now see the men come out slowly they all retreated to a lone figure a small slender one, hiding in the shadows. James turned to look behind there was his bike he pulled his mother with him and gave her his helmet. “Oh, no, James, I am not getting on this thing! You know damn well when Dylan gave it to you; I swore to never get on this thing!”
“Would you rather get killed by them, ma? It’s either this or a slow painful death.” James’ frustration was slowly seeping out. His mother sighed in defeat. James was already, ready to ‘floor it’’ and speed off. Where he would go? She did not know. Once Sarah pulled on the helmet and got on, James did exactly as predicted. Unfortunately since motorcycles aren’t exactly the most quiet of transportation, the thieving, and apparently psychotic, men noticed. “Argh, get him!” who was that? The shy one? No, this voice was… different? James sped down the highway. He was going to get his mother to Dylan’s and run off with book to get the criminals away, and keep his mother safe.
A bullet shot through the air, His mother’s shrill scream following soon after. The police sirens came alarming in after that, oddly enough. ‘Oh, they better not be after me. James cursed. He pushed the throttle forwards and accelerated. He was now officially speeding. 120 km/h on a 90 km/h highway. On the positive side, the people of the town decided to abandon the highway; no cars were on it that evening. James remembered the gun he had in his pocket. He glanced at his mother. Would he rather get into trouble? Then again, he would rather be in trouble later, than be dead. After having that inner battle with himself he pulled the gun out began to shoot back at gang of vicious thieves. That didn’t help a lot but it did hit one of the cars and it had to stop, causing three others to crash, or stop before they did. “James!” His mother called to him. Yeah, he was in trouble now. “James, dear…give me the gun!” That was an unexpected thing to hear a mother yell to her child. Sarah turned to her side and began rapidly shooting at the men. Her motivation was unclear to James at the moment. There were many possibilities. Could it have been that, she was protecting her son and herself? Or, perhaps revenge for destroying their home? Maybe it was to avenge Bill’s death. The last one was highly unlikely, for Sarah never really liked Bill that much. She hated his drinking habits. She didn’t like his colourful language, nor his pirate-y way of speaking.
The shots his mother was making weren’t to accurate but they did prevent the band of men chasing them from shooting back. The unpredictable-ness of her strange shots were hard to dodge so there was hardly any firing for James to manoeuvre. The plan (if you could call it that) went rather well until the bullets ran out. Sarah didn’t know what to do. She didn’t have bullets why would she? And James did nothing meaning he obviously planned on trying to outrun the thieves. The shots from the men behind them began again. They started hearing hoots and shouts of rejoice from them. Sarah started to shriek as a shot narrowly missed her. At that moment, the scream of police sirens came announcing their rescue. Miraculously at the same time, the shooting ceased. James turned his bike around to skid into a stop. “James, what are you doing!?” His mother screamed. She paused after seeing James was calm, she looked where her son was looking. The men were riding off. They weren’t too far off, but they were turning around. The police must have psyched them out. Speaking of the law, here they come.
““Are you two alright?” One man asked. When this query was asked James doubted he was the one in trouble, especially when another patrol car was driving after the group of men who cruelly destroyed his and his mother‘s home. James couldn’t answer he only stood there while an interrogation with his mother was taking place.
‘How long have I been standing here? James wondered. James glanced at his watch. Five - no six minutes. James sat on the seat of his bike, taking a short rest. He thought of everything he just went through in that one night. The painful memories of his unknown father. The newly created memories of his burning down home he had spent his entire life. He also thought of the rock. This truly confirmed it; his life was a rock. A heavy rolling rocking. During his thoughts, James began to realize how fast his heart was beating. He also remembered - just how much smoke did he inhale? This was all that he thought off until he collapsed.

--------------------------------------

He stared at the book while all those memories flooded back. ‘I’m recalling a lot of my memories tonight.” James opened the book. Dust flew out. He began to cough and fan away the dust with his hand. He flipped to the center and noticed a map. “All this for a dusty old book, and its map?” The map was old. Its pages were slightly burnt and torn. The coffee stained pages were wearing away the ink was barely readable. There some black finger prints on most of the pages. On the spine, a couple pages were clearly ripped out. However, the map, strangely enough, wasn’t unreadable. It made perfect sense. Well, to a cartologist. It was a strange map, strange that it looked like the one in the story ‘Treasure Island‘. But, the ‘X’ wasn’t in the Caribbean, like in ‘Treasure Island‘. It led into the ocean. Or, not the ocean but a small island one that had no name. One that wasn’t claimed. At least, to James’ knowledge it wasn’t claimed.
““There is no way that this map can mean so much to them.” James said aloud, although he never really believed he meant that. “For all they know this thing could be a fake. A childish prank. A stupid kid’s fairytale.” James never really was the optimist. Nevertheless, it never crossed his mind that maybe the map wasn’t a fake. In the back of his mind, he wondered if it was real. James hissed and slammed the book back down on the side table, not caring how fragile or valuable (if it really was real) it was. He got and began pacing the room. He just realized he was shirtless. James glanced around the room. It was so bear; there was barely any furniture in the room. Why was it so bear? Dylan owned tons of stuff. He noticed some clothing on a wooden chair. A black muscle shirt, ad a ripped jeans. The ripped jeans were fine, but white really wasn’t his colour. He tried desperately hard to make himself believe the map he had was false. His tries went in vain. Looking back at the book, James picked it up and started to examine slightly worn out map. He was no cartologist, but he could try.
James stretched out and yawned. He spent what seemed like hours, trying to figure out the map in front of him. He did everything he could. Read it backwards, read it in weird positions. Read listening to music. Nothing worked. It was so frustrating; he had to let it out. “Argh, damn!” James yellowed out threw a pillow at the door; causing it to loudly slam shut. James pushed back his bangs. And waited for it. ‘3...2...1’
““James, you’re alright! Oh, James, Are you hurt? Do you need anything?” His mother burst in wrapping her arm around his head and pulled him into an embrace. The weird ones that parent do when they find their kids are indeed, alright. ‘Why is my life so predictable?’ James thought as his adrenaline-powered mother’s arms crushed his head. Just then, Dylan walked in asking, “Are you okay, James?” Dylan was a doctor, and not just the people ones. He researched everything. Maps, oceans, plants, animals, space, anything. But just to make it short, they either called him Dylan or Doctor. “Yes, I-I’m fine doctor. I just - doctor, you’re a map reader - sort of person, right?” James asked eagerness covering his face. Taken aback by his sudden question Dylan stammered. “Uh-uh- Y-Yes James. I am… wh-”
““Then, this!” James interrupted and shoved the book at Dylan’s face, showing him the old map. “You can deduce and - and understand this right?” Dylan stared at the map first, then James, then the map. He took and fingered. “It looks like a map…to Treasure Island. Then, for some reason that is unknown to me, the middle of the ocean.”
““Yeah, I could tell that part but, I want to know - why?” Dylan stared at James, and right away the adolescent knew, the doctor had no idea why. Until, Dylan looked like suddenly had an epiphany. He turned to James with a curious look on his face,
““James, what was that story? How did it end?” He asked out of the blue. James in turn didn’t quite know how to answer. Was he to retell the whole story? No probably not so he only briefly summarized the end. “They found the treasure but then Silver ran away with it,” James paused.
““I guess he sunk cause of all the extra weight.” Nobody spoke after that, and then came a long awkward silence. During that silence a strange epiphany hit the boys
““Doctor, do you think…” James let Dylan continue. (His mother asking, what Dylan thought.) “Yes, James. It very well could be so.”” Again, Sarah was asking, after the two had spoken, what they thought. James looked at her and asked the strangest question ever to come out of his seventeen-year-old lips. “Mom, may I go and find Flint’s lost treasure?” Sarah blinked once, twice. “What? James, that’s just a storybook myth! The event must have traumatized you!”
““No!” Pausing James and took a calming breath. He sighed and finally said, “No, mom, it didn’t.” James’ eyes locked with his mother’s eyes. Again, and uncomfortable silence. James and his mother seemed too able to read each other’s eyes and minds. Sarah knew she could not win in this silent argument, thus ending the eerie silence with a finished sigh. “James,” she whimpered helplessly. “I don’t want to loose you. You’re the only one I have left.””
““Please mom, let me do this.” Sarah remained silent and looked at her son. She tried to avoid his eyes, knowing that once she saw them she would know hoe badly he wanted this. Once she knew how he wanted this, she knew she could never say no. Try as she might, Sarah found her son’s eyes. They held so man emotions, guilt, sadness, determination, even rebellion. The thing that made it worse was how his eyes, his emotion-filled eyes, were exactly those, of his father. Sarah sighed. (She did a lot of sighing today.) “Fine but, only if someone over 20 accompanies you.”
““Okay. Dylan… will you come with me?” James turned to the family’s most trusted friend. Dylan paused a moment weighing out the possibilities. He would either loose the chance of a lifetime, or possibly die at sea. After the small moment of thought, Dylan smiled. “I would be honoured to accompany you, James.” Sarah and James both thanked the older man. James looked down at his mother (yes she was shorter then him.) “Thank-you, mom.”” He whispered and embraced her. She embraced back. The fear of uncertainty danced in her heart. Would she loose him to sea? What if there pirates out there. Could he be left on a deserted island? She would rather not think about it now.
““My goodness, I still have arrange for a ship a-and a crew. My brother will hopefully have something.” Dylan was rambling as he usually did when he was stressed.

*************************************

The next day they arrived at Port Thunder. A small but busy port. James saw many people there. Small me, big men, innocent men (like boys, almost) and thuggish pirate men, just like the ones who destroyed his home. But, they weren’t just men, the people there. There were women too. However, most of them were wives, mothers, daughters, girlfriends, fiancées, nieces, granddaughters, and grandmothers, cousins, there to greet the men welcome or goodbye. James cam to notice, all of the women there were just that. All except one girl. She was sitting on an old crate with ropes tied around it. A small sports bag slung on her arm. She sat with a group of those pirate-like men. The weirdest part was she seemed like she was to be boarding with them.
“James, there you are. This is my brother, Roland. He’s the one funding this expedition.” James jumped as Dylan interrupted his train of thought. “And these are his children, my niece and nephew, Skye and RJ.” Roland reached out to shake James’ hand. James reluctantly took it and shook his hand. It wasn’t that he didn’t like Roland; it was just that, shaking hands was odd. ‘What an old people thing to do.’ James thought.
“Hello, James.” Skye, Roland’s daughter said, smiling sweetly. James looked at her and replied with a plain “Hi.” Skye wasn’t an eyesore. She had blackish-brown hair that reached down to her waist. It was neat and straight, silky looking. She wore a denim skirt and jacket with a pink tank top. Her tall yet slender form, gave her the figure of a model. Though she was tall, she didn’t quite reach James’ height. Her brother was beside her. Unlike his sister, he didn’t give the friendliest greeting. “Hey.” was all he said. He didn’t even look at James. RJ was taller than Skye, yet at the same time he looked her age. He was, most likely, her twin brother. It was funny since she looked so neat whereas he looked thrown together. His hair was plainly black and long. Not strangely long but it reached down to his chin. It looked as if it was combed lazily, so it was still somewhat a mess. All he was wearing was red t-shirt and blue ripped jeans. He also had a jean jacket, but it was currently tied around his waist. James greeted him back not bothering to sound friendly. James glanced around the port to see if he could find the sailor-girl he had seen, no luck, she probably already boarded. James returned his look to the two teens before him. He realized they couldn’t be more nor less his age. They were both talking, about him? He didn’t know.. The girl began to laugh and the boy snickered. James averted his gaze to Dylan who was chatting with Roland. James noticed Dylan’s eyes shift to him. The doctor cleared his throat and looked completely at James. “James, RJ and Skye will be with us on this expedition, hopefully you three will be good friends.”
“Okay.” Was all James could say. ‘Do you I want to be friends with a some hyped-up prep and her laid-back brother? …Worth a shot.’ James wanted to say it but, he kept the thought to himself. In all honesty, James didn’t care, and he didn’t try to hide it. Roland said good-bye to his brother giving him a small brotherly embrace. He went to his children. Talking to them. They nodded. The three embraced and Roland was off. James was eager to leave so once Roland finished his farewell he stepped off to the boat. Unbeknownst to him, one more visitor had come.
James!” Sarah Hawkins, his mother, called. James stopped mid-step. He half turned his head, wondering, was that his imagination? “…Mom?” He nearly choked on the word. “Mom? Mom!”” He started clearly then yelled once his mother came into view. He dropped his duffel bag and ran to her, not caring what the others thought. They embraced and exchanged loving words and promises. Dylan cut Sarah and James’ goodbye short calling for James to get on board the ship.
“I’m gonna miss ya, mom.” His mother looked up at him and smiled. How was it that the child she once was able to hold in her arms was now taller than she was? How was it that all the innocence he had was no longer there? She knew not the answer but the reasons. “I will miss you too, James.” She answered; tears were forming in her glistening eyes. He smiled looked at her and let go. “Good-bye, Mom.” Sarah smiled once again; her tears fell freely. “No, James this isn’t goodbye. It’s just …see you soon.” James gasped out a laugh, then gave his mother a sad smile. He picked up the duffel bag he had and went back on his way to the ship. He pushed back the tears he had in his eyes. He took in a shaky breath; exhaled. In their hearts, both he and Sarah knew he was no longer a boy. He was a man. He became one when he was fourteen and, they both knew it. James knew he would find a way to help his mother, financially and emotionally. He was going to pick-up where his father left them, but he would not make the mistakes his father made. He would not abandon his mother; James silently vowed this as he boarded Roland’s HMS Hispaniola.
As soon as James boarded Skye and RJ became his immediate friends. They introduced him to those they knew. He had bee acquainted with so many people he forgot to ask about the captain, or Dylan. Once the introductions were completed they began telling him they way thing went around the ship.
“We all have jobs on this ship.” Skye said after laying down some less important basics. “And once we’re assigned to them, we have to keep them for the rest of the voyage.” RJ finished. RJ there was someone your first impression of him never really gave you the correct impression. James thought he was some laid-back skater boy. When James saw him, he thought RJ was going to boring and say ‘whatever’ to everything, and did everything he was told. However, RJ was somewhat like his sister. He was always so happy, just he was not as hyped and happy-go-luck as her. His happy was the serene kind of happy. ‘I can tell we’ll be friends.’ Thought James.
“Hold on, ‘kay?” RJ took Skye’s wrist and pulled her along with him to a massive well dressed man. Massive, meaning he looked in shape. His arms were wide and his chest looked well-worked on. He was tall; possibly 6’5. ’This guy can be in a steroids ad.’ James looked the guy over. He noticed the many badges and various medals against the valiant red army shirt the man was decorated with. Right away James guessed, this man was the captain. James noticed RJ beckoning him over. As James made his way towards them he caught RJ calling him Mr. Arrow. ’Mister.’ James played it in his head. This man looked like a captain, but was called mister. ’This guy isn’t the captain.’ Arrow placed his hand on James shoulder. It was heavy. “Master Hawkins, the cap’n would like to meet with you . In her quarters.”
Uh…uh-huh.” James nodded stupidly. He heard Skye snickering. Arrow firmly, but gently pushed James through a door, under the main bridge. The door led to a flight stairs in to a foyer. The foyer was small barely enough room for three people. There was another door there to, It led to the captain’s cabin. The room was large. It was also very neat and exceptionally clean. It was well decorated. The ruffled, sand-coloured curtains were pulled back and allowed sunlight to pour through the window and into the navy-blue room. An pure oak desk was in the close to the window . On it were maps and papers, files, and other such things either piled neatly or littered all over the desk. There were also some shelves in the room. The were filled with old book. Big thick ones, that you’’d find in a history movie. There were also guns that hung on frames and shelves. On one wall there was a case filled with pictures, medals, and more guns. The room was navy-like but at the same time held some feminine touches. James was so lost in his thoughts he hadn’t realized how long it had been since he was in there. James turned when he heard the door click. He was shocked to see a woman had shut the door. She was dressed in the same attire as Arrow was. Only her shirt was blue and where he had many medal she had double. She also wore a miniskirt. Why? James had no idea. James for some odd reason looked down her legs, he noticed she had a strap around her leg and a gun, positioned in such a way that if she should ever need it she could easily pull it out and start shooting, in the strap. Her hair was black and back in to a ponytail except for two short strands of hair and her bangs. She had magenta eye shadow decorated was the only thing that her face was. To finish her outfit she had knee-high leather boots. She walked past James and Arrow, who has still behind him. James put on a confused face. She barely noticed him! She sat down in the big leather Seat. Her legs were crossed and she placed her elbows on the desk, hands folded together. She shut her eyes took a deep breath. It reminded James of those times when the principal was containing his anger. She exhaled. “So Mr. Hawkins, am I to understand you have found the journal of the infamous…Silver Family?” Silver words slipped out venomously.
James nodded his reply “Yes…m’am…uh, captain?”
“Captain will do. James, do you have any idea what you have found?”” James noticed how cold her stare was. For the first time in his life, he felt oddly intimidated. “N-no, m-Captain.”
The captain paused a moment. ‘Will she tell me? Or will she not?’ Her head turned to him, sharp and quick; her movements belonged to a cat. ““James, from now on you will address me as Captain or Captain Amelia. And you are not to tell of… What you have.”
“So I can hold on to the…journal?”
“Absolutely not! You are to give it to Arrow now, then go into the galley and you will wait there.” Amelia snapped loudly. She had such a temper why was she like that? James scowled at her wanting to protest but he didn’’t. He took the journal out of his bag and reluctantly pushed it into Arrow’’s waiting hands. Both officers watched as James trudged out the door and slammed it shut. Amelia scoffed. “That boy needs discipline.” She checked over the file she received from her employer, Roland Erving. “Huh, he worked at his family inn. Hard to believe after what just happened.” She looked up at the door; her blank stare looked tired, even though she really wasn’t. “Arrow… see to it Master Hawkins… gets his old job back.” Arrow bowed obediently, “Yes, Captain”

“Ugh, I hate her, bitch!” James shouted as he kicked down a small sitting stool in the kitchen.
“Hey, just because you’re angry, doesn’t mean you may destroy my galley!” A girl’s voice called. James looked around the room to see a short girl peeling apples, back turned to him. He shook his head and averted his gaze, but for some reason he had to look at her again. “Sorry. I’m just… I just - Ugh.” The girl chuckled. She quirked slightly but didn’t turn to look at him. “Pissed? At who, Amelia?” Though she had an optimistic, yet dark voice.
“Silver! You are to address her as Captain Amelia!” Bellowed Arrow. James hadn’t noticed him come in, so when Arrow yelled at the girl it made James jump. The girl, however simply curtsied, back still towards the men, saying, “Yes, Mr. Arrow. Sorry, Mr. Arrow.” Arrow didn’’t look upset. “Very good. Ah, Silver you seem to have met Master Hawkins. He will be you’re cabin boy.” James turned to Arrow he looked upset. “What?” Before the girl could turn to argue, Arrow pounded a fist onto a table. “No arguments, Captain’s orders.” Arrow tipped his hat before leaving. ‘Why didn’t I notice his hat before?’ James wondered. He looked back the girl. She was no longer peeling. Now she was leaning on against the counter. They groaned at the same time. After a quick silence, the girl went back to peeling and James just stood there, hands in his pocket. A sigh rang into James ears; he rolled his eyes to where the girl was standing. ‘Why won’t she face me?’
“All right, then. I can tell you want to ask me a few questions; however, I have a few myself. So to compromise we will both alternate asking, understand?” She still didn’t turn. This irked James slightly but he wouldn’t let it get to him. “Are you a girl?” She laughed, “Well, I should think so… eh… huh, my question is…… Who are you? And what do I call you?” James smiled, she asked for his name only now? ‘Strange girl.’ He took his hands out of his pocket and put his bag down. “That was two question. My Name is James Ishmael Hawkins, but I prefer to be called James.” When she didn’t answer, he remembered he had to ask her a question. “And you? What Can I call you?”
“Two questions for two question? Hah, you are something. My name is Lana Jane Silver, but around here, I’m called Lana. And so we lead to another question. How old are you, James. I’m 17” James picked up an unpeeled apple from the table that was so badly hurt by Arrow. He tossed it up and down as she spoke. “Me too. Who were those men? He saw Lana’s head move; she was looking up but still not to him. “Which men?” She asked. James stared at her why wouldn’t she turn? “The ones who were with you at the dock.” Lana quirked her head to side her hair bounced lightly. “How so very perceptive of you. Those lazy asses were my friends. Who could you possibly have known that was me?” She knew now knew his face she remembered seeing him look at her before boarding. James smirked, though she wasn’t looking at him she knew he was. “No other girl out there had silver hair. Ask a question I have nothing.”
“Why are you here? On this ship?” Lana asked. James paused. He wasn’t allowed to tell about the journal, not even RJ or Skye knew about it. She turned her head halfway, almost facing him. He could see her ear. ““For adventure, action in my pathetic life. And the money.” He lied. “And you? What are you’re reasons, Lana?”
She smiled and now turned to full face him. She leaned back against the counter. His heart skipped a beat. “I am here for the same reason as you, James Hawkins.” James suddenly realized why his heart skipped a beat, or two. This girl was beautiful. Her sharp purple eyes pierced into his. Her silver hair cascaded down to her mid-back. A red bandana crowned the sea of silver tresses. He looked down her figure. She was wearing a tight navy-blue muscle shirt, for ladies of course, which stopped where her ribs did (Not that you could see them). He also noticed she had midnight-blue tips on her hair. This small framed girl had tight abdominals, she was obviously very fit. Yet, not gross-looking like a body builder, just fit. His eyes continued their journey down her body. Her pants were some low, low rise baggy jeans, her shoes were barely seen. She crossed her arms, he noticed her biceps were toned as well. He copied her action and leaned on the wall. “While you’re checking me out, James, I’ll go back to peeling these apples, so feel free to stare.” She turned back around. James then, noticed something he hadn’t before, on the small of her back she had a tattoo of a small koi-fish curving its body downwards. On the top just before the tail, a small skull smirked. Encircling the koi were some silver doubloons. The skull caught his eyes the most. It was taunting him… James, secretly, growled at it.

--------------------------------------

Lana never expected James to be this good-looking. Yes, she did see him at the dock but he was far from them and so his face wasn’t clear enough for her to see, but now that she could see him clearly, he was very different from what she imagined. Though he looked at her with a blank stare, his rare, amber coloured eyes bore into her memory, she would remember them for a long, long time. Like her he had silver hair, unlike her, his was very, long especially for a boy, it was like one of friend’s however James let his out free. It wasn’t obvious to her that his hair was an un-natural colour. He wore a black vest, she wasn’t sure what it was made of but the outside was a dull shine on the night. His arms were toned, she thought he must have done a lot of work as child; he did. Just like the rest of everything he wore he, his jeans were acid black and baggy. A weird thought ran into her head as she looked at his jeans ‘‘Does he have good running legs?’ She shook the new thought from her head, glancing at him to see if he noticed. ‘No, he’s busy looking at me.’ She finished her look and noticed he wore skater shoes ‘Why is everything he wears black?’ She glanced up at him again, ‘‘Still looking at me.’ Lana leaned against the counter and crossed her arms. As he mimicked what she did, she noticed how fit he was, when his muscles rippled under his skin. She wondered if he had a lot of female attention where he came from, she would not be surprised if he did. Wanting to prevent herself from thinking to deeply about this boy, she spoke, “While you’re checking me out, James, I’ll go back to peeling these apples, so feel free to stare.” Lana turned around and went to peeling. ‘Feel free to stare? Why’d I say that?’
James turned his head towards the door, but kept his eyes on the girl. She was a strange person, sounded secretive, not that he would judge her on that. Lana slightly glanced at James in such a way that he wouldn’t notice. He was a different person, that much was true. She had to look out for him. She would keep close to him. She would find away to get that secret out of him.