Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ Legacy of Treasure Island ❯ Chapter 2: Lana and James: Friends or Foe ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter 2: Lana and James: Friends or Foe?

Although she wanted the secret, Lana did not want James to get close to James in a way that could start a relationship beyond acquaintances. Being the clever girl, she was she thought of a way to get around that. She turned sharply towards James, once again completely facing him. He turned his head, but still leaned, to look at her directly. “James,” She tried to put on the most serious, a cold-hearted stare she could. ’Look like Amelia’ She thought as she looked at him. But those eyes. Those strong amber eyes. “The only relationship you and I can ever have is a master-servant one.” James glared at this. He did not like the idea of him playing the lowly role of the servant. “We can only be friends, if we help one another out, at least once. Savvy?”” James quirked, whoever this girl was, he really didn’t like her anymore. Maybe he would have at first, but now she was an uptight freak, just like the captain.
““Savvy.” He croaked out suppressing the anger that raged in his chest. ‘Fine by me, I wouldn’t dream of helping this… bitch.’ Unbeknownst to James, Lana was thinking along the same lines. ’’That jerk, the way he glared at me when I said that. I’d never help that creep anyway.’ There was an angry silence between them. Neither knew one was angry with the other. Lana stabbed the counter with the peeling knife. Both the knife and counter screamed with pain and she roughly pulled a rag from its hook. The angered girl turned on the tap. As the water poured out of it freely, she drowned the rag into the bowl that contained the liquid. ‘Why am I so angry?’ She thought as she pulled and tossed the knife into the sink. The water from the rag dripped on to the counter, until she slapped the cloth against it and began scrubbing it. She snuck a quick look at James, who wasn’’t glaring at her but looking at a barrel of potatoes.
‘‘Someone has a temper. What do I care anyway? It’s her life.’ James’ angered look intensified as he thought of her words master-servant. The two angered adolescents snapped their head towards the door when they hear Arrow calling for all-hands. ‘Bet he doesn’t even know what that means.’ Lana thought bitterly. The thought vanished as he stood upright pushing off one leg. He looked at her. His amber orbs told her that he knew. ““C’mon, James.” She jumped onto the table in front of her and walked on it until the edge came to her. She gracefully hopped off and pulled his wrist as she began to go up the stairs leading to the main deck. James quirked his brow. ‘Now, she’s holding my ha - wrist.’ The sun pained James’ eyes; he looked up and noticed Amelia, on the bridge, glaring at him? No, she was glaring at Lana, who noticed this as well. James looked at his wrist as the girl’s grip tightened, out of tension and a possible hate. Lana’s hate wasn’t targeted at him, this time it was targeted at Amelia.
James then remembered where was RJ, Skye and Dylan? He looked around him then on the bridge. There. They were all there on the bridge. RJ had his hands in his pocket, back haunched over. He looked bored. Skye’s hands were behind he back, as usual, she had a ditzy look on her face. Dylan looked serious, his hands were behind his back as well, and his back was straight. James only realized how short Dylan looked compared to Arrow. The bigger man called for Amelia whose angry face calmed and turned from Lana. Lana’s grip once again tightened. James looked at her with concern. He didn’t know why, but he had suddenly forgiven her. James pulled at her hand with the caged wrist. She loosened slightly but still she focused bitter stares at Amelia, who occasionally looked back. Lana’s now captured James’ hand. He didn’t know how to break this angry-look-war so he did the first thing that cam to mind. He squeezed her hand.
Lana’s head jerked up and she looked into James eyes. All the anger she felt toward him before vanished as she looked deeply into his eyes. She slightly shook her head then looked down at her hand. He was holding it. She wrenched her hand away, and turned around so he wouldn’t look at her. James wasn’t affected by the action. After all, he wasn’t holding her hand he was just… informing her, about the pain she inflicted on him. He looked at her again. She was rubbing the hand he held. She looked at him ‘He’s looking at me!’ She took it calmly on the outside. She simply moved back beside him. She looked at him, his eyes focused on a spot on the ground. ‘He’s so tall. I’m only to his shoulder.’ Her eyes moved from his should to hip lips. ‘I want to kiss him…’ Lana’s eyes widened and she pulled her eyes to look at the old guy on the bridge, beside Arrow. ‘I can’t love James, I can’t.
““Lana Jane Silver?” Arrow called her name, for roll call.
““Aye, Sir.” She yelled confidently. This was the person she knew she was. This was the person she would be. Arrow continued down on the list. It took a couple minutes, no more the 15. Everyone on the list was accounted for except for Pete who was apparently dead. Thirty-two men present one dead. Six Bridge members. Thirty-two even. “Good, now Arrow, get ready to go. Set sails, weigh anchor, and all that stuff.” Arrow nodded and began to call out orders; his hands were behind his back. He stood on the bridge supervising. The men, save Lana and Skye, began to run around getting to their jobs. RJ was cleaning the deck with a mop and Skye was dusting off the railings. James noticed Dylan and Amelia were talking. Strangely enough, Amelia looked very interested. James looked at his three friends forgetting about his job.
Lana was behind him she looked at his back, working up the courage to tap him. She stared at the hand he had previously held. Her face contorted with anger. She was angry, with neither James nor Amelia, at herself. He is just a boy. That’s all; they weren’t even friends. She bravely allowed her hand to rest on his shoulder. “James our chores are downstairs - In the kitchen.” James looked at her, then his friends. He followed Lana, keeping his head down. ‘I’m looking at the floor.’ He repeated in head over and over again. His thoughts broke as he heard a bang, Lana jumped on the table again. ‘
Won’t we eat on that?’ He was staring at Lana. She started mumbling angrily, “Stupid Amelia, I hate her so much. I wish I could. ARGH!”” Everything except the ‘argh’ was inaudible. Lana continued growling as she viciously stabbed a potato; James could almost hear the potato’’s agonizing scream. “Who’re you mad at? Amelia?”
““Yea.” Lana bitterly scoffed. James inquired further, “Why?”
““Because I - Ow!” Lana flinched as the knife she used for peeling, slit into her thumb. It was a small cut but it was bleeding somewhat badly. Her hand was slightly shaking as she looked at her cut. James casually walked over towards her, grabbing a clean clothe and ripping a piece of it length-wise. James took Lana’s hand into his own, and examined it. ‘This is the same hand he held a while ago.” Lana thought. She wondered if he knew it too. He did. Lana hissed in pain as James pressed the bigger piece of ripped clothe on her thumb. She just realized he put it under hot water, and the searing pain burned her cut flesh. James lessened the pressure on her hand and tied the thinner piece of rag onto her finger. Just when Lana thought he was done, he turned himself behind her - her back pressed against his chest - and his left hand took hold of hers. He began to move their hands in a peeling motion so that the knife moved away from them - rather than towards. “Keep the knife moving away from you, then you’ll have less of a chance of getting hurt.” When their hands stopped moving, they did not move out of the position either. Neither knew what to do next. ’We could go on with life…pretend he never held me.’ Lana wanted to see his face, but turning would mean having to break free of his hold, ’But, isn’t that what I want?’ Had she seen James face she would have seen a side to him that nobody had seen - not in a long time. His brows furled together in confusion, his teeth clenched in frustration and his mouth, at the same time, hung open with curiosity. He was confused; he really didn’t know what to do. ‘What did I feel when I held her hand, both times? Why did I get so scared, when she hurt herself?’ He shut his eyes tightly. ‘If I go further… will it feel right?’’
James was risk-taker. He knew he was, so he did what any risk-taker would do. He took the risk, he let go of Lana’s hands and trailed his own up her arms. He slowly and unsurely wrapped his arms around her neck and allowed his head to rest on her shoulders (well really his own arm, but since it is around her neck……) he shut his eyes to allow himself to think. Lana’s heart pounded in her chest. She knew it would burst and she would die of heart attack. She looked down at her hands again. What would she do> If she kept this on then maybe, she would… ‘No, I won’t. I won’t let it happen.’ She thought angrily. She would push him off even if it breaking her heart. ‘Wait. My heart?’ the tension all over her released. Yes, her heart. Her heart would break. She leaned into his embrace and held onto his arms. His embrace tightened, and her hand held onto the back of his neck, the other hand holding onto his arms. ’This…feels…right.’’ They thought in chorus. Sadly neither wanted to admit it to the other. ’’Who cares if this is happening right now? I won’t admit it to him that I like this.’ James sighed. ‘I won’t tell her, I won’t tell her this feels so right.’
““James, Lana! Do you have a snack?” Skye burst into the room, luckily for them she wasn’t looking. Skye was to busy poking around for food. The pair’s eyes snapped open. They simultaneously pulled away from each other, not bearing to make eye contact. However had they looked at one another, they’d notice Lana was coral pink and James was crimson red. “Yea, here you go Skye.” James tossed an apple to still clueless girl. ““Thanks, I was a bit - oh… did I interrupt something?” Skye asked when she noticed their flushed faces. “NO!” They shouted at once, thought they didn’t have to for Skye had already made her way up the stairs. “That was - uh - that was - that was awkward.” Lana stuttered. James looked at her and gave her an empathic smile. She tensed her shoulders. “That was awkward.” She said with more confidence. After that, Lana found interest in a barrel of rum while James eyes the cupboard or the carvings of the ocean waves and royal battleships. It was well crafted in red pine. James searched his mind for something to say, the silence was getting too uncomfortable. Unfortunately, the silence would continue for another 12 hours.

*************************************

Half a day passed and James and Lana kept their mouths shut, too afraid of saying what they felt. 12 hours of dead silence until Dylan began screaming. They’re tension was lost in Dylan’s cries of fear. For a moment, James felt ashamed of the elder man. Then embarrassed Lana heard everything as well. But, she didn’t James was ’chaperoned’ by Dylan.
““Lana, James, all hands! We’re nearing pirates!” RJ stopped on the last step. Unlike his uncle, he was calm and he wasn’t in a fear-struck frenzy. Lana was unresponsive the command RJ had just called out. Both the boys looked at her. Then each other, then her again. James yanked Lana’s arm he didn’t hold on since RJ was right there. “Lana, let’’s go!” James yelled at her, she looked at him and followed, though she didn’t speak. When they got on the main deck RJ and James scattered away to help where it was needed. Lana however, just stood there anger written on her face. ‘If those idiots are here…” She clenched her fists, and looked at the ground. Strangely, she could hear James yelling her name; it got louder, and louder until -

--------------------------------------

James pushed himself and Lana onto the floor. He crushed them both against the hardwood ground. He just saved her from canon-ball, which luckily missed the ship too. ““What the hell, Are you crazy? Moron, you could have been kil-” Lana cut him off when she lunged herself at him, embracing him under his arms. He looked at the unknown wondering, ‘What the hell is she doing?’ His question was answered when she pulled back holding his one of his guns. Lana pushed James away cursing at him. ‘Move it you idiot!” She ran to the bow and began to shoot at the opposing ship. ‘Nope, not them.’ These men were pirates. They wanted treasure, money. A few of the men did get on board the Hispaniola but none of them stayed on for very long. Few were killed. Most were thrown overboard, one even surrendered! All the crewmembers fought with skill. James was good at forceful hands on fighting. RJ knew martial arts, Skye dodged everything they threw at her, and Lana was skilled with a gun. Finally, all but the captain were felled. The cowardly man stood shaking. He looked at everyone then fell to his knees forfeiting. Everyone gathered in a circle around him looking. Lana, James, RJ and Skye were few of the first row. All four had a pistol at hand, just in case. The crowd separated a path as Amelia came walking to them. Amelia cast an black, ice cold gaze down at the man. Her untrusting eyes bore a hole through his heart into his soul. She knew something was wrong with this.
““Silver.” She commanded and motioned to the man. Lana obeyed and slowly approached him. She nudged him her gun. Prodding and probing him. Her intense gaze went to Amelia; she shook her head. Everyone automatically knew that meant no effects. Amelia looked pissed. A dilemma had just formed. He either did or did not have weapons. She needed a second check, therefore, called Lana’s hand. ““Hawkins.” James looked at her mouth agape. He noted her serious look and went to the man. RJ went forward to help him. Before they knew it the captain swung around and kicked RJ down, he grabbed the boys gun and shot James. This man had poor aim for it missed James. Everyone saw this but oddly enough, James still cursed in pain. The captain pushed the crowd out of the way shooting wildly. He swerved out of the men’s grabs and lunges. The man turned around and headed back towards the boy he shot. James looked up and saw he was coming. Lana looked at the man as well she stepped in front of James and pulled out two pistols. ““If you won’t play fair,” She mumbled angrily. “Then neither will I.” She smirked and lifted her two guns shooting the man repeatedly. Unlike him, her aim was flawless. She targeted his hand, leg, stomach, heart, and head and got him perfectly. The captain’s blood flowed smoothly out of his body. He dropped into the pool of his own blood. Lana’s triumphant smirk faded when she heard James groan. ‘What a baby, the guy missed his.’ She thought when she turned to look. The sight in front of her was shocking. James hand was scarlet with his blood. He was shot! She fell beside him and pulled his hand away. The bullet didn’t lodge in but grazed his arm. The scar it left behind that pretty deep. “Come on, idiot.” James forced out a laugh at his new nickname. She held his arm as they walked back down to the galley.
When they got down Lana sat James down on a seat. He let his wounded arm rest on the table before him. Lana searched the galley for some clean rags and instead found two clean towels under the sink. She wet one in hot water and rung out the excess. Slinging the dry towel over her shoulder Lana scurried to James and pressed the hot towel on his injury. He flinched and looked at the towel as it began to redden with his blood. After cleaning the wound, Lana put the dry towel around it allowing it to soak in all the blood. When both towels were crimson with blood, Lana realized there was nothing to cover James’ wound. Using dirty towels would infect it. They were lucky it stopped bleeding. She looked around for something to use, but all the rages were dirty and she had no handkerchief. James could tell right away there was nothing to use. He was going to tell her that was he was fine but before he could open his mouth, she did the weirdest thing.
She ripped her shirt‘s strap. It was wide enough to cover the wound. However, it wouldn’t be long enough so she pulled more off, to ensure she could tie it. The rip she made wasn’t very modest. The whole sleeve came off. Now a bit of the shirt lapped down and showed a small corner of her breast. The only one of the two, who was greatly affected by this was, James. He tried not stare but it was difficult. He is a guy. Focused on that and trying not to stare at it James hadn’t realized Lana was finished.
““There, I hope that works.” Lana placed her hands on her hips, sounding satisfied with her work. James shook his head out of daze. Her shirt would remain like this for the whole time. ‘Wait did she say she finished?’ James shook his head again and looked at her; she was smiling. “Yeah, uh, Yeah, thanks.” The girl laughed. “It was nothing; you helped me out twice you know? And you even gave me advice.” Their grins began to fade as the sudden realization came to them. They helped one another. Lana felt puzzled she never helped anyone before why was he so different? She had other friend who had worse if not the same. Why didn’t she help them? As for James, well, he never thought someone as confident and sure as she was would ever need his help. Or anyone’s help for that matter. He blinked once, twice, then got up; thanking her again. He took the towels and dirty rags and began to wash them. Lana watched him as he did his job. ‘On one hand I get to be near him and stay close to him.’ She smiled at the thought. Another vision tainted her mind. ‘On another hand, how would the others feel?’
After cleaning up the galley and cooking everyone’s meal Lana leaned over the counter to read the list of things to do Amelia had made for them. “James we have an extra job, outside that galley.” Lana continued reading. James simple looked at her. ‘Thank the Lord. I’m getting sick of this place.’ His thoughts, he realized, were always so plain. Just like him. “Oh, that’s fun, on scouting duty.” Lana turned towards him her fists on her small hips. She is so tiny! James remembered when this girl told him she was his age, however she looked younger 15 at most. Lana was also very unlike him. She was so vibrant and happy. He was dull, and emotionless. ““So, James, I hope you know how to ride a jet-ski.: she winked at him; another example of her enthusiasm. She giggled and smiled as he stepped back. James smiled back and chuckled, her laugh was nice. That is when Lana realized James gave her a genuine smile. James also realized this was the first friendly smile Lana gave him. The smiling ended as both parties began blushing. As he was thinking about Lana’s voice James announced he had no idea where the jet skis were. Lana looked at him and laughed. ‘She’s so easily amused. Laughing at everything.” James grunted as Lana’s hand forcefully pulled him towards a hutch in the floor. In the hutch were some stairs that lead to a large room.
The room was filled with weapons such as guns, swords, transportation units and some communication devices. James stared at the room in utter amazement, his mouth hung slightly open. Lana smiled at the boy. He reminded her of a small child who found a room of toys. James hadn’t realized Lana’s watch; he was too amazed with the equipment. He noted how each gun was sorted in the order of its power. There were also explosives, even canons and cannonballs! Cherry bombs, grenades, nitro-glycerine they were all littered in a lone corner. Hanging on the wall across from the guns was an assortment of swords. Different kinds. The regular ones, fencing ones. Even Japanese ones. Beside them, on the same wall, were spears, bows and arrows, maces and axes. On a desk near yet, another corner were communication devices. Radios, tracking devices, locators. Of all the things in room the things that really caught James’ eye was the transportation units. They had everything! Extra life boats, motor boats and jet skis. It was great for James.
““So do you know how handle these?” Lana asked as she played around with the ski. James looked at her, he only just remembered, she was still there. ““I guess. I have a motorcycle. They’re different, but I guess I can do this.” Lana replied with an unsure shrug. “Well James, let’s get going. As friends.”