Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ To Break a Spirit ❯ things get REALLY bad ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SFH: Chapter 4 up! Enjoy!
 
Disclaimer: do not own RuneScape
 
 
 
 
 
 
To Break a Spirit
Chapter 4: Things get REALLY bad
 
SKY'S POV
 
Like Faln, I had also run to find the girls. I felt bad about leaving the others to be annihilated by the other clan, but I had a bad feeling, and my instincts are normally right.
Anyway, I ran to Storm's vanishing site just in time to see Faln disappear under three Dark Angels' blows and to see another knock out Zelda. Immediately I attacked the one that did it.
“You *bleep*,” he managed to say before he disappeared. Then a couple other guys decided to avenge him, and started swinging an assortment of longswords, battle axes, and scimitars at me until I finally collapsed and was taken back to the challenge hall with the voice blaring, “YOUR CLAN WAS DEFEATED!”
<Faln!> I shouted in clan chat, <Get Zelda back to Falador immediately! We don't have that much time before they come after her!>
<Got it,> he answered, a hint of fear evident in his voice. Who could blame him? It was obvious that he cared for her more than he admitted, and vice versa.
<Sky,> said Bsomero, <Aren't you supposed to regain consciousness in the jail cell?>
<Yeah, why?> I asked uncertainly.
<Zelda's still unconscious.>
<WHAT?!>
<Yeah, she won't get up,> added Tink, <I think someone did something to make sure that she stays like that when she leaves the arena…>
<But how could they?!> I cried frantically, <She had the tiara, they couldn't possibly->
<Yes, they could,> Faln said grimly, <The tiara has a weak spot in its shield. I thought it wouldn't be a problem, but I was wrong…aha, I found the source…it's so small, though, I dunno if we can get it out…>
<Do you recognize it?! You're the one who took the course on identifying darts and what kind of poison they have, remember?!> Why were these people acting so calm?! They had no idea what was at stake here!
<I think I can…> Faln was silent for a minute. Finally, he said, <I don't know what it is. It's not good…it's brand new, from what I can tell, so it's out of my knowledge. Sorry, but I'll have to find an expert.>
<Okay, but hurry Faln! I said we don't have that much time! Teleport like there's no tomorrow!>
<Got it.>
 
FALN'S POV
 
No offense to Zel, but with her armour, she's heavy.
Finally, I simply took off her addy armour, put it in my pack, and took her now lightweight body into my arms. Her head lolled off to one side, into the crease inside my elbow, and her eyes darted behind their lids. A bead of sweat rolled down her forehead. One thing was certain: I was going to brutally murder the one who did this to her.
I gently laid Zelda on a table in the back of the arena, and then summoned some of my flagging strength to call up a ball of teleporting magic in my hand. Palm quivering slightly, I touched the magic to her heaving chest. Instantly, she vanished.
“What do you think you're doing?!” an unfamiliar voice demanded. I looked up and saw a tall boy (well, actually, he had just reached manhood) in full rune except for the helm striding toward me. A fancy cape covered his right shoulder.
“It's my friend,” I quickly explained, “Something happened, and now she needs medical help fast.”
“Yeah, right,” he scoffed, “I think you're up to something. As in kidnapping her.”
“I would never do such a…” I started to say, but then I froze. A sudden breeze had shifted the cape on his right shoulder, exposing the now-hated badge with the image of two black wings. He covered it quickly, but it was too late.
“And you accuse me of kidnapping?! You're one of them!” I said, my voice rising until I was almost shouting. He just flashed a horrible grin at me.
“I'm the one who put the girl under that curse,” he sneered, “And until you find a way to break it, she'll never, ever, wake up.”
You saw the weak point in the tiara's shield.” Who was this creep?
“Yeah,” he agreed, “I've been gifted with the power to see the weakness of every person, place, or thing. Pretty useful, don't you think?”
“Yeah I guess,” I answered, “Now let Storm go, wherever you took her!”
The boy curled his lips in a leer. “And why would I do that, do tell me.”
“Because she is the princess of Falador! And the heir to the throne! Without her, who will take the throne?!”
`The other one, you dolt,” he answered, “And don't play me for a fool. We all know that Zelda has been the heir since birth, because Storm has no intention of sitting on it the rest of her life when she comes of age.”
Again, who was this creep!?
“Who in RuneScape are you?! And why did you want to kidnap the girls?!”
“I'm Lot Dragons, second-in-command of the Dark Angels, and you know exactly what we want with the girls. Think about our legacy:”
That made me freeze. Yes, I knew their legacy…and there was no way I was letting Zel get involved with it!
`So enough about me,” said Lot, “Who in RuneScape are you? And why do you care so much about the girls, eh?”
“I am Faln Archer, and I care about them because I've known them since Zelda was born!” then I teleported myself away. For all I knew, someone had seen Zel and was a little confused about why she was in the middle of the road. Besides, that guy just freaked me out. There was something strange about the way he talked about the girls…
Thankfully, Zel was untouched when I arrived in Falador. She lay at the feet of the statue of Saradomin, and I could have sworn I saw her jerk slightly in her disturbed unconsciousness…Wasting no time, I slung my beautiful friend's arm around my shoulders, and then began walking through the streets to the White Castle. A couple of villagers gave me an inquiring glance, then shook it off and passed by, going about their business. Finally, I reached the bridge to the castle. I walked over it, taking care not to scrape Zelda's shins on the pavement, and then took her to the servants' entrance.
Before I opened the door, however, it opened, and then I saw Zelda's handmaiden Lira, standing there, bits of her short blonde hair plastered to her face with sweat. When she saw the princess, her hand flew to her mouth.
“P-pr-princess Zelda!” she gasped, “W-w-what happened?!”
“I'm not sure,” I told her, hopelessness clouding my voice, “But she needs medical help and fast. I'm not sure how long she has before something bad happens…”
Lira nodded. “Then she'll get help. Guards!” she shouted. In the next minute, two soldiers appeared by her side. I could tell that they were recruits because they had a bronze medium helm and iron chainbody. Maybe one day they would be promoted to white knights, but not today. “Princess Zelda is severely injured, and we need you to take her to the infirmary and make sure that she has the most experienced nurses tending her!”
“Right away!” one of the guards replied, and then took Zelda into his arms, and he and his companion walked off. Lira and I watched them until they were out of sight.
“I'm sorry, Sir Faln, but do you think that you can make sure that the princess gets there okay? I really don't trust those two, they're still learning their way around the castle,” she asked me, “I would do it myself, but I have laundry to do, so-“
“Of course, Lira,” I replied, “I was going to follow them anyway.”
“Okay, I just wanted to make sure,” she smiled, and then walked away. I then started to make my way to the infirmary.
<Faln, please tell me that Zelda is safe and sound,> Sky said wearily in the clan chat.
<I got her to the castle, and I'm on my way to the infirmary right now,> I assured him.
<That's good,> he said, and I heard him sigh in relief. <Any sign of her waking up?>
<Stirred a couple of times but…no.>
<Okay…uummm…how good are the doctors and nurses' knowledge involving poisons and darts?>
<If I am correct, they are the best in RuneScape. Now stop worrying, Sky. She'll be fine, I'm sure of it.>
 
SKY'S POV
 
For the love of Saradomin, I really hoped that Faln was right.
<Okay guys, its looks like this clan is done for now,> I told the group, <Feel free to go at any time.>
<I'm staying,> Bsomero said instantly, <I'm not missing out on this.>
<Same here,> Tink added, <Zelda's my new friend, and I watch out for all my friends. I want to help out whenever possible.>
<I would love to stay, but…my buddy wants me to join his clan, so see ya!> and Elvislim was gone.
<Same here. Bye!> There went Cupcake. I had known the instant that I had met them that they weren't very faithful to the clan they joined.
<Okay, what about you Miko?> No answer. <Miko? You there?> Still no answer. <MIKO!!!>
Still no answer, until finally, <I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I didn't mean it!>
<Sorry for what?! Didn't mean what?!>
Suddenly, a small head buried itself in my arm. Must have been very uncomfortable, as I still had my rune platebody on, but it stuck itself there and didn't move. I recognized the hairstyle instantly.
“Miko, what's wrong?”
“I'm sorry! I'm sorry! It was my fault! All my fault!”
“What's all your fault, Miko? Talk to me!” I begged her.
“They made me do it! I didn't want to lead them into that trap, but they made me! It's all my fault!”
Finally, I understood what Miko was trying to tell me.
“Think you want to tell Zelda this?” I asked her, “She has a right to know.”
Miko, wiping her nose on her sleeve, nodded, so I got a ball of magic that would take us to Falador in my hand.
“She's right, you know,” a voice behind us hissed, “She led the girls to us, enabling us to poison Zelda and capture Storm.”
I whirled to see the guy that I managed to knock out in the arena.
“I'll get you for that,” I countered, “But not today.” Then I teleported Miko and myself just as he reached out to the first.
“I'm so horrible,” I heard Miko whisper, over and over, “I'm so horrible, I'm so horrible…”
I glanced at her. She looked so innocent, with her small size, large eyes, and age. It was really difficult to imagine her being a Dark Angel.
Then again, it was hard to imagine Royal being one.
“You're not horrible, Miko,” I told the distraught girl, “You just made a mistake. We all do sometimes.” What else could I say?
Silently, we began to walk through the streets of Falador. To my surprise, Miko's tears began to dry, and she began gazing at the City of White Knights in wonder. “I've never been here,” she explained when I asked; “The farthest I've ever been from Lumbridge is Varroc or the Wizard's Tower.”
“I see,” I answered, “and this is the Falador Castle, which happens to be the home of Princesses Zelda and Storm.”
“Wait, what?!” Miko exclaimed, “Zelda and Storm are princesses?!”
“Well, yeah.”
“But that makes my crime all the worse! I helped them capture a princess! And of such a beautiful town too!” in seconds, Miko's distress came back.
“No, please, don't cry!” I frantically told her. I had never been the best with whiny kids, being a seasoned warrior. “You don't want to be crying in front of the royal family.” She hiccupped a couple of times and stopped bawling.
<Hey Sky, good news!> Faln called out to me, <A couple of the doctors recognize the dart on Zelda's neck, and they know how to get it out! I told you she would be alright!>
<Okay yeah, shut up and meet me at the infirmary!> I called back. Miko and I began walking at a faster pace until we were at the door to the castle. There, tow White Knights let us in, and we began striding through the corridors, hoping with all our hearts that our friend was going to be okay.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------
 
SFH: That concludes another chapter in the thrilling saga of To Break a Spirit! The next Chapter will be dedicated to the first reviewer! Toodles!