Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Magic over Machine ❯ Rivalry ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Magic over Machine

Chapter: 3/11

Chapter title: Rivalry

Disclaimer: THEY BELONG TO ME!!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Aw! Shut up Hira!! Sorry She's on one of her insanity strikes again. GW and HP do not belong to her. Any original characters are mine! What do you mean about that?!? Technically I though up about them so they're mine!<sticks out tongue> Why you…. Come back here Yuko!

From the diary of Hermione Granger:

It was already night when the guests arrived. I had learnt that this is the Chang children, one of the people that neither Zak, Ced nor I had been able to track. Funny that I learnt the family just moves around much and they never did change their name. Infuriating isn't it? Now where was I, oh the children!

I first met a young blonde girl, younger than 10 at least. Her name is Li Yan, cute little bugger whose face reminded me of someone. She's really hyperactive as if someone had put a permanent cheering charm on her! She practically jumped around the living room bouncing around, looking into each room with the curiosity only a child can have. A real child…(sighs)

Then the other came in. I couldn't believe it! Neither could she, I think. I can still remember it now: "Granger, how lovely to see you!" sarcasm rolled out on that Chinese-accented voice of hers! Cho Chang, how I'd love to take the overgrown head of hers into a dissolution potion! Pity Harry still fancies her. Both of us had gone into a staring match before Li Yan interrupted us. Then mum came in. No matter what I have to talk to her royal bitchness. The time draws nearer. Good night.

^^^^^^^^

'Ah Crap! Just what I need! I midnight errand from the cursed Durselys!' Harry thought. The Durselys have become more vindictive about their idea of 'taking care' of Harry Potter. The balmy night air of summer suddenly gave a cool breeze. All thoughts about the Durselys disappeared. With the rising of Voldemort, he had kept his wand at bay, planning only to use in emergencies.

The calming sound of crickets silenced, for that moment nothing was heard, only his footsteps crunching the gravel of the walk. The slight rustle of leaves made him fall into red alert, but he walked just as if he never noticed a thing. The attack came fast and furious, a heavy weight fell onto him. He's glasses were knocked off as he struggled at the snarling, drooling sharp-toothed thing on him.

He gave the other a brutal kick to his soft abdomen. It recoiled immediately, giving him time to escape. As he crawled back, a silhouette appeared in front of him, a bright blue blur came rushing to him. A spell! His mind thought, but his weary body reacted slowly. The spell hit him dead on, and then darkness took him.

^^^^^^^^

Hermione woke up late that morning: at 7 am. (Normally she woke up at 6) As she headed down to the training room, she heard the sounds of someone already deep into her morning exercises. It was either in the middle or almost ending of the exercises. As she rounded around the corner, the bushy-haired brunette saw the only other dark-haired occupant of the house: Cho Chang.

Annoyance ran up her back. But there was nothing to be hated about the other now. Now there was no academic results to fight about, no guys to fight over and no competition about being the best. It was ironic that the competition for the BEST results, even if they are in different years, is between mudbloods.

As she watched the katas being done, she could only be enraptured at the grace the other had. Every movement, every kick and punch had a meaning, It was almost like watching a solo dance. As Cho moved into her third movement, she snapped out of the trance. She went ahead to do her own sets of exercises.

Side by side the both of them finished their sets, though Cho finished much faster than Hermione did. Cho watched the hurried movements of Hermione, the sharpness in them looked to be one of agitation. When the other finished, she asked from across the room.

"I sense that you need to ask me something."

"You keep your divination 'skills' to yourself!" Hermione cried back. Cho just looked at her questioningly, waiting for the answer. Hermione stayed mum returning back a deathglare.

"Well then, keep your questions to yourself. Nothing of any importance it seems," Cho said as she rolled her eyes. She was done for the meantime, there seem to be a busy day ahead of her. 'I've got some revisions to do on the blue prints.'

'That goddamn know-it-all! Argh! I really don't feel like making her an ally. ALLY? Chang? Of all the Changs on the world why must it be this Chang!!!' Hermione rambled to herself.

^^^^^^^^

It is well known in Hogwarts that Hermione's favourite haunt is the Library. Cho being a ravenclaw had spent many a time there too. That was where the rivalry started. As you would see Cho at the library surrounded by books and pieces of parchment, chewing on her quill deep in thought, Relena found Cho at the study table pouring over some books. She smiled as she knocked lightly at the open door.

"Ahem! Cho, I'm going to the clinic today. If you need anything, just ask Hermione." She said lightly at the startled girl. Cho smiled and said thank you at the retreating back of Mrs Yuy. She signed off the letter she was writing (with a pen! Muggle inventions are so much easier sometimes!).

"She almost startled me! Done, now to send this to Him. Lingshi! I need your help now!" A gust of wind signalled the arrival of her beloved owl. The owl was huge and strangely dark blue, almost midnight. "{Lingshi, I need you to take this to Him.}" The owl gave her questioning look. "{You know who I mean!! Don't act dumb! Here. Some bread to give you energy for the journey. Fly safely my friend.}" The owl flapped the giant wings of his and flew into the daylight.

Outside, Hermione was playing tag with Li Yan. The little girl was really energetic and had almost outrun her sometimes. At that time when the bird-like shadow fell over them, Hermione was about to tag the small blonde.

"Hah! Tag! Now my turn…" She never finished her sentence when the little girl took flight…literally! The girl had grown wings, white and translucent. She flew up like it was the most natural thing to do! "What the…?" Hermione may be a witch but this she had never seen before! Never had she read about wandless magic this strong other than Harry's job with You-Know-Who! She pricked up her ears to the sky.

"{Hey, Lingshi! Going away again?}" Li Yan asked the flying owl. She ruffled the feathers in his head and said, "{Okay but take care okay? I don't want to see you hurt again.}" The owl sped off towards the horizon.

The flying little girl smiled and waved at the tiny figure of her adopted Jie Jie. Hermione found herself waving back. Flapping her wings she dipped quickly below to the open window of Cho's room. Hermione shrugged, but quickly went towards Cho's room to get a closer view of Li Yan.

"{Sister!}" Li Yan called out.

"Hm?" She suddenly gasped to cover the loose pieces of paper. Unfortunately, the sudden rush of air made some fly. "Li Yan!!!"

"Hi ya Jie!"

"Hey now, come inside. We're not at home, remember? What if someone see you, like Granger?" She said reaching out for her winged sister. 'I really hope nobody did see you, if not, I'll the one who'll be in trouble!' The Li Yan's voice piped up.

"Hello Hermione- jie jie! How was I?" But Hermione wasn't looking towards the duo. Her attention was toward the pieces of paper on the floor. Cho widened her eyes in horror. 'Oh no …'

"Chang these are… sketches…and power controls of a Gundam!" Hermione said softly. She looked up at Cho, whose eyes had widened to the size of dinner plates. Li Yan was looking blankly at them. Quickly Cho grabbed the other pieces of paper. Her Ravenclaw side took over her panic.

Staring into the other's eyes, she quickly mouthed out, "Not in front of Li Yan." Hermione nodded. She helped Cho gather the other pieces of paper.

"Hey, Li Yan. How did you do those wings anyway?" Hermione asked.

"These?" Li Yan asked. The wings that disappeared reappeared, now clearer in the relative dark of the room. "I've always had them. Why?"

"Hm…At least we'll know that you'll go to Hogwarts like your sister now. Remember, you should not use any magic outside in the normal world. They do not understand these things."

"But I understand."

"{Li Yan, Just promise me that you wouldn't use these powers recklessly.}" Cho asked.

"{I promise.}"

^^^^^^^^

Past lunch, the sky had turned a dark and menacing gray. Cho herded Li Yan inside the house, just in time for the downpour. Li Yan was sent to take a bath. (She was soaked to the bone!). Cho took the opportunity to look for Granger,

The large house looked relatively empty with Granger or Yuy was nowhere to be seen. As she meandered down the many (darkened) corridors of the house she realised that she was lost! Looking at the featureless walls, she pricked her ears. She could slightly discern the sound of --- a gunshot!

Quickly she dodged it, hiding behind a corner turn. Two more shots came her way. From the corner she could see the slight silhouette of her assailant. Another barrage of shots made her retreat back. 'Shit! Does the person ever reload?!?'

Lightning struck near the house, brightening the corridors. She took a quick peek and saw the retreating figure. 'Granger…' She thought as her eyes narrowed dangerously. 'That bitch…'

Silently she rushed forward only to find Granger going into a room. "I'll give her a piece if my mind…."

The door, she found, was locked with a password. 'A six-digit numerical password, with only three tries. Too Easy…' Instinctively she inputted in the numbers. '625097', The door opened to a dark cavern. She took a small step in. 'No traps or anything?' She took another step in. The small pitter-pattering of someone running came from behind her. Before she could do anything, she was pushed in and the room was enveloped in darkness.

^^^^^^^^

Heero surveyed the colony. This was his 7th. So far nothing much had shown up. The other Preventers, supposedly should be with him, were surveying other parts of the colony. 'Suspicious? What do they really mean by that anyway?'

After 7 of these damn space contraptions in about 12 bloody hours, even the perfect soldier was tired. Hey, he's not 15 anymore! And then the facts had been incorrect again. And the new recruits into Preventers...practically worshipped him! But so many things had changed. they are now building an L6 to accommodate the rising population after the wars. The first five having been filled to the brim. His team had decided to check L4 first since that was where the first call had originated.

'Should check L6. Most likely its there they might strike first. The others should be checking in by now.' Sure enough, his communicator started crackling.

<<Crackle... Area 6 clear...>> 'North'

<<Area 7 clear>> 'Engine room'

<<Area 5 clear>> 'polar units'

<<Area 1 clear, Sir! Did I do well, sir?>> 'Damned kid...Southern area'

The announcements continued. He mentally ticked off the areas cleared. Everything checked out. Now they had to move on. 'Next colony...' Heero thought. he did an overview of the colonies again. Nothing out of the ordinary, again, Hacked, again. Nothing. Again. He was beginning to think that the proper information had bee magically erased. "That's stupid. Wizards and witches don't bother with us muggles, as Hanako said, or our 'muggle contraptions'" he mumbled. He was deep in thought when his radio crackled in.

<<Sir, area 2 here. I found something. Funny, it wasn't there before... And there's.. What the hell?!?>>

"Area 2! Come in!"

<<...snap, crackle n pop...>> Silence. He heard an intelligible word being muttered, too faint to be clear. And then...

<<Ahh!!!...>> Screams of absolute pain cried out. The gross sounds of bone being snapped, joints dislocated, and the gurgling of blood was heard.

"What the..." The emergency was real now. He gathered his things. Grabbing the radio, he ordered the preventers at area 3-5 to aid the preventer at area 2. "Scramble!" He shouted to the radio.

<<...crackle...Heh heh heh...>> the spine chilling laughter rang through. 'Run' a thought came to his mind. 'Run to the right.' Another laugh rang, this time, in his head. He suddenly felt a pull at his navel, a queasy feeling went through him and the world disappeared in a swirl of black...

TBC

A/n: This chappie is supposed to focus on the rivalry between Hermie and Cho. Comments and reviews please! I'll accept flames(if they are any!)

Sophie W. : Thanks!^^ You've made my day! Btw, Harry and Ron are involved. Draco is too but I have other ideas for him...[Evil look] Ja na!