Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Magic over Machine ❯ The Call ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Magic over Machine (GWxHP x-over)

Written: 29/6/2002

Author: Scichan Hirameki

Part: 2/?

Chapter title: The Call

Warning: Everything spoken at the Chang Residence is in Chinese. The rest is in English unless stated by {...} which is in Chinese. This is a very tedious not too long chapter. I got tired just by re-reading it!

Disclaimer: The GW and HP characters do NOT belong to me. The extras do...

[Beep..Beep..Beep..Beep]

"Damn clock," I said out loud. my hand shot up, grappling for it. It found nothing. "Wha...?" I slurred. After a few more attempts, I gave up. I took out my gun from underneath my pillow.

[BANG!]

The irritating beeping ended. 'Ah! Now to sleep some more....zzzz' Peace. After what was seconds to me, I felt somebody poking me at the side. Poke...poke. "Leave me alone..." I tried to say, hearing it coming out like 'lee ee aoone'. Poke...poke...Now I was pissed.

"For the sake of Justice, LEAVE ME ALONE!!!" I shouted out to the phantom person while sitting up. All my sleep gone at this point. A small squeak of "Ahhh!" directed me to the intruder. A flash of light brown hair told me that it was my little sister. My anger left me immediately.

Her head poked out. She looked down and murmured, or rather rambled, out, "Jie jie, Dad told me to tell you to wake up. But you shot your alarm clock again. So he told me to find another way to wake you up. But then..."

"Li Yan, okay. It's okay. I'm awake now. Thank you. Tell Dad that I'll be down soon." I reassured her. I feel sorry for her. Being only 9 years old and already subjected to dad's mental pounding of 'Weaklings' and that like, no wonder she has such low self-esteem. I noticed that she was hugging something tightly.

"Jie jie, he also said that today you're doing extra rounds around the block and can spar with him later. Then he said something about beating him and a zero system. What is that anyway?" Li Yan asked.

I was stunned. How was I supposed to answer her? As far as I know, Only my younger brother and I had been trained. And my brother, well... After what happened to Fei Ying, Mother forbid Father to train Li Yan. After all that she has gone through, and from personal experience, If Father trained Li Yan, I'll personally extract his liver from that too-full ass of his. There are some things that are better left out.

I shook my head. "Next time, Li Yan." Hoping to distract her from the subject, I asked. "What's that you're holding?"

"This? She asked, loosening her hold. I saw my missing book, not that I miss it much really. I don't really think that reading about my own school is fun, not that Hogwarts is not fun, the book's just boring. "Hogwarts: A History. I found it among your old school books. It looked new, as if you never read it before." She smiled meekly.

"You like it?" I asked incredulously. Her smile grew wider.

"YES! I like it very much! Especially about the roof and the maze of rooms and the staircases of Hogwarts!" Li Yan practically shouted. I smiled back at her. I didn't know she liked it THAT much. The only other person, I know, that actually reads it is Granger. That b****! I saw that she hugged the book like it was her favorite teddy.

"You can keep it," I said patting her on her head. She smiled and said a hurried 'Thank You!' before exiting the room. I shook my head and got ready for the busy day ahead.

^^^^^^^^

"Hermione. Listen, Today we are going to test your endurance. Run around the track, pacing yourself at 5 m/s for 15 mins then work it up to 7 m/s for another 15 mins then go back to 5 m/s for 10 mins then stop. 50 sit-up and 45 pull-ups. Complete them in 15 mins. Then you can have your break." Heero said glancing at his daughter.

Hermoine's normally bushy hair was now pulled back in a ponytail. She had a determined look on her face, similar to that of Relena's. It comes as no surprise as she takes a lot from her. At least Hermione can cook decent food. Relena just needs to have more practice... Hermione just nodded. He heard her mutter 'Ninmu Ryokai' under her breath. He got his stopwatch ready.

"1,2,3!" The clock ticked. Hermione jogged off. Careful to pace herself to the correct speed. Round and round again, she went. Heero just watched, his face showing nothing but his eyes showing the pride he felt. He knew that Hanako could do better. After all, She had been training since 6. Her body turning out to be more toned, slender than muscular. Good for a girl.

"15 mins! Speed up!" The clocked just ticked by. Heero remembered the time when Hermione had been born. She'd been so small, looking more like Relena than him. Relena wanted to name her 'Hermione' but he wanted 'Hanako'. In the end they put both names on the Birth Certificate. He remembered the time when Hanako said her first words:' Ninmu Ryokai'. Relena had smacked him for speaking the words too much. Come on! It was just to do the chores only, right? Okay facing a new day to check teeth wasn't exactly what he wanted to do after the Wars.

Both Relena and him decided to go into hiding, residing in the UK under the name Granger. They wanted to hide not only from the paparazzi but also from the enemies that either he or Relena might've gotten. Only the other pilots knew about his new identity. Never did he lose his soldier's habits, waking up early in the morning, doing his workouts and target practice regularly. But when it comes to changing a baby in the middle of the night, it's better to be deaf and ignore it.

Then the time came when Hermione showed her magical powers. Everything around her was levitated and when he got near her, his hair turned neon blue not to mention his skin turned bright orange! Hanako just gave him a two-toothed laugh. Thank god, it was temporary. Unlucky for him, Duo came visiting that day. He had laughed his ass off before reaching a small snigger everytime he looked at Heero's hair. Duo had said something about his child doing about the same, only that about half of his braid came off! Hanako loved books, always wanting read more. Being very intelligent and ready to accept any challenges, she's more like him that way.

[Teet! Teet!]

"15 mins! Slow your pace!" Hermione was visibly sweating having a shiny sheen on her face. But determination never ceased. Her face now emotionless. She just continued to jog.

When she passed him, he jogged together with her. Checking both of their paces. "Speed up. You're too slow." That was said and both of them continued in perfect sync. None said a word as both jogged.

A few minutes later, Relena came in with some drinks. she just smiled wryly. Not noting for the first time how similar they both looked in tank tops and track pants.

[Teet! Teet!]

That signaled the end of the first part of the workout. Both slowed down reaching the starting point. Both reached for the drinks. "Heero," Relena said, shaking her head. At 35, he's still the quiet soldier. But is more open with his feelings than before. It is still difficult to know when he was lying though. Hermione drank a bit, not wanting to not being able to do the last two exercises.

"Hi Mum! Slow day?" Hermione asked, smiling a bit.

"No, I didn't go to the clinic today."

"Ready Hanako?" Heero intervened before Hermione could loose concentration.

^^^^^^^^

"Really Heero, You're pushing her too much. Together with her studies at Hogwarts, how she can find time to train is a mystery to me." Relena said, gripping the spatula she held.

"Hn. She's coping well, finishing top of her level every year." Heero said, warming his hands with his coffee cup.

"But there would be a time when she'd..."

"it's okay. Learn to trust your daughter. Have more confidence in her, Rel. She's not the young, fragile bookworm anymore." Heero took Relena into his arms, kissing her forehead lightly. "She'll be okay." he walked out of the kitchen, stating his ultimatum. Just then, Hermione walked in dress in jeans and a simple tee.

"Hey mum! Need help with lunch?"

^^^^^^^^

<<Ring! Ring! Ring!>>

"Hello!" Relena answered. "Oh. Hello Wufei. How are you doing?...Huh? Heero? I'll go get him..." She covered the receiver. "Heero!!! Phone for you!" Heero shouted an 'Okay!' from upstairs. She put down the receiver.

"Hello..."

^^^^^^^^

"Yuy. The Preventers have an assignment for you." Wufei started.

"It's Granger now. And I've gone off to a new life. The Preventers have no hold on to me now."

"Wow, you can talk that much now? I'm surprised."

"Hn. It's surprising what living with two females can do to you, Wufei."

"I can imagine."

"Yeah. Now cut the crap and tell me what's going on." He could almost hear Wufei smiling.

"Une just gave me a call. Emergency for the ex-gundam pilots. Says that someone has threatened to destroy one of the colonies. It wasn't a hoax. A search of the said colony found many explosives and a strange substance."

"Why is it always that? What else?"

"The Preventers have noticed an abnormally large amount of titanium being shipped to various parts of the Earth: America, Middle East, somewhere in Southeast Asia and lastly in UK. And get this, there is a rumour that reinforced gundanium is being shipped to somewhere around Europe."

"Gundanium? Could the scientists be behind all this?"

"I hardly think so. Une has tracked down the phone call but came up with a dead end. She wants you to do a recon of the colonies with some Preventers to make sure that nothing out of order is happening."

"Really." Sarcasm rolling off Heero's tongue. "What about the others?"

"Winner would do the one in the Middle East. Barton in Asia and Maxwell at the US. Seems like the US one is a blind. But still she wants it checked out. Unless, you want Maxwell as a partner..."

"No! I could use without his incessant babbling! What about you?"

"Me? I'll be doing the one in UK, since I live the nearest."

"When will we be departing?"

"The onna says as soon as possible, tomorrow at 0900. Meet her at the Preventer HQ so she can give you guys the coordinates."

"Ryokai"

^^^^^^^^

<<RING! Ring!!>>

"Hello?" Relena answered.

"Hello, Relena, Hope I'm not disturbing you. It's been a long time since I last talked to you." The voice over the phone answered.

"Sally? Is that you? No, you're not interrupting anything. How...?"

"Sorry, Relena. A much As I'd like to chat, I'm in a hurry."

"Anything I can help with?"

"I have to rush off to Preventer HQ and Wufei would be out for an indefinite length of time. My girls need a place to stay. They all would be starting school soon, just two more weeks. I overheard you stay quite close..."

"Whoa! Sally! Relax a bit. Yes, we'd welcome your girls if they need a place to stay."

"Thanks Rel. I'll be sending the girls by the underground. Is it okay?"

"That's fine. You just go to..." She gave the directions and where to wait for her in case she was late.

"Got that. Do you mind? My eldest daughter is a bit ...strange. You don't mind having animals around your house do you?"

"No, I don't"

"Okay then. The girls will be heading down via the Tube. They'll see you there." Sally hurried.

"That'll be fine."

"Thanks again, Relena. Bye!" Sally hung up in a hurry leaving Relena deep in thought.

^^^^^^^^

"Girls! Get down here!" Sally shouted up. Moments later, she heard footsteps pitter-pattering down the stairs.

"Yes, mum?" Her eldest asked.

"I have to go work urgently and your father won't be home. I don't like having you girls alone at home, so I asked a friend to take you in for a while."

"Mother! I'm 16! I can take care of myself! After all, school starts in two weeks and I'll be meeting my friends at Diagon Alley to buy my books next week."

"Can you take care of your little sister too?"

"..."

"There. My friend should allow you to go to London to get your books. You can owl your friends if you cannot. Now since I have to rush, I want you guys to go and pack. You need to travel a bit so I'll be giving you the money later, okay?"

"...'Kay..." Both exited the room.

"Li Yan, come here. I need to talk to you." Li Yan turned to address her mother. "I don't know how long I'll be gone this time. So you'll have to be strong okay?" Li Yan's eyes grew bigger. "Don't let others bully you. Remember the time you threw Ge-Ge off the fighting mat?" Li Yan smiled.

"He He! Ge-Ge looked so surprised!"

"Right. So from now on, just remember how you got the strength and courage and keep it, okay?"

"Un!" She nodded.

^^^^^^^^

Relena stood anxiously at the station entrance. Not that she was worried about the Chang children, just that a sudden departure of both Wufei and Heero, and now Sally, was worrying. She was worried about the precious peace that she and the others had done so much for shatter in single blow of explosives, innocent lives being lost. She thought that the Preventers could do something to stop the imminent threat but to need both Heero's and Wufei's help was...well, worrying!

She felt a tap on her back. "Huh?" She thought. A girl, Chinese with black hair and beautiful sky blue eyes stood behind her. "Are you Mrs. Yuy?" She asked, smiling.

"Yes, yes I am. Are you Chang Cho?" The girl laughed a bit and nodded. "I hope your journey went well."

"It was okay. Do you understand Chinese?" Relena nodded. {Li Yan, come and meet Mrs. Yuy.}" Cho said as she pulled on a smaller hand. Another girl came from behind her. She had light brown hair with black eyes. Relena leaned down.

"{Hi there! I'm Mrs. Yuy. But you can call me RiRi. What's your name?}" She saw the girl visibly relax. 'Such defensiveness in a child so young. I wonder what happened?'

"{Li Yan. I'm Li Yan. Are you going to take care of Jie-jie and me while mother is out for work?}"

"{Tui le. Let's go and see my house and see how you like it, ne?}"

"Un!" Li Yan nodded. Cho just smiled.

TBC...

Quick Chinese/ Japanese dictionary:

Ninmu Ryokai: Mission accepted! (What Heero always says)

Ryokai: Accepted/ Roger

Onna: Woman (Wufei's line)

Jie-jie: Elder Sister (Chinese)

Ge-Ge: Elder Brother (Chinese)

Tui le: Right/ Correct (Chinese)

A/N: There! Slightly re-written! Yes! Cho Chang is involved! And the plot thickens! What will happen next? See you all!