Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Saber Marionette Fan Fiction ❯ Terrible Things to Waste ❯ Vengeance - Madness - Convergence ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

You wanted more you say? Huh? Oh, you said you were bored. Ah, well that makes sense, I mean why else would you be here? ^^;;;;
 
Dedicated to Moongal because it's not often a reader demands that I continue a story. Usually it's the other way around.
 
Also, I apologize for the wait between chapters. This process would be a lot easier if I was a better writer.
-_-;;;;
 
------------------------------------------------------- --
Terrible Things to Waste
Part 7: Vengeance - Madness - Convergence
------------------------------------------------------- --
 
Tracer rubbed his face, looking around at the forest of warehouses.
 
How'd he get here? Was it all just a dream?
 
“I don't know how, but you trusted her at one point too. I see the hurt in your eyes and hear it in the bitterness in you voice. I see it even now. So you must know the goodness that lies within her heart as well.”
 
Oh yeah, now he remembered.
 
`Stupid Serenity just had to bring up that dumb blonde bitch.' Tracer snorted. `Trust her? Bah. It's not like she even recognized me as anything else but a Timelord.'
 
Cindy's angry visage flashed through his mind. Of course he'd been foolish to think she'd remember him from so long ago, they were only kids back then. Life went on and now there were enemies. So what's there to feel bitter about? Well, he did spare her life when he could have killed her, which only earned him a deathly glare. Ungrateful bitch.
 
“Damn it!” Tracer stomped his foot, cracking the concrete beneath it. “Why the hell am I even thinking about this!?”
 
Besides he wasn't here for her. He was here for that blasted old man. Talk about a violation of trust, that old man had been the biggest traitor of them all. Tracer wasn't going to let him get the best of him especially after that damn raid.
 
Tracer frowned. That raid had been a disaster. The Timelords had been sniffing around a dimension where they had heard rumors of Society activity. Once they thought they had found them, the Counsule sent every available Timelord with orders to finish them off once and for all. That's when they quickly discovered they'd fallen into a trap. The moment the Timelords attacked, a powerful shield activated and the place blew to smithereens. Admittedly, Tracer had been lucky to escape from there alive.
 
However, Tracer could have cared less about the lost lives of his fellow Timelord `brethren', most of them didn't care much for him and the feeling was mutual. No, what had been the biggest blow was discovering that his mentor Halebit was the enigmatic leader of the Society. It pissed Tracer off that he couldn't even lay a finger on the old man in their last confrontation.
 
He had to give the old bastard credit though. He had been clever. He'd done everything possible to convince the Timelords they had the Society cornered. He even went as far as being at the compound in person before he blew up the place.
 
Realizing, he still had the sword clutched in his hand; Tracer held it out and studied the peculiar crystalline blade. Peering at the lights of the city through the glass-like surface, dulling the world of grey, and his thoughts drifted. Examining it closer, a strange glow radiated about it making it stand out in the darkness. He still wasn't sure why it did that but it sure wasn't the first time. He supposed Aste had done something `magical' to it.
 
A scowl marred Tracer's face as he lowered the weapon. Another person he owed a vendetta, Aste, the infamous Nomad that started the Great War. He was the man who ruined his life. At least stealing his father's sword back from him made him feel a little better, but it was nothing compared to what Aste had taken away.
 
`If that cowardly Nomad hadn't killed Father, then Mother wouldn't have…' Tracer balled his fist. Sorrow wasn't an emotion he wanted right now. He wanted to be angry. Sorrow only allowed memories to surface that he'd long buried and burdened him by chaining him to his past. Anger, on the other hand, spurred him on and made him stronger. With it he could face the future and appreciate what little it offered him.
 
Nothing angered Tracer more than the old man, then and now. Tightening his grip on the hilt of his father's sword, Tracer glared into the night as a cold, emotionless voice replayed in his head.
 
“You miserable failure. You disappoint me. How are you the son of the `Great General'? You disgrace the reputation of your father.”
 
Back then he had naively believed those words to be the old man's own way of pushing him, to make him angry so he could become stronger. Now he understood these were words of his disdain for him not ones of encouragement.
 
Even the Community at large shared Halebit's sentiment. Oh sure, no one else would have dared said that to his face, but he knew they all wondered the same thing. The question always hung in the air whenever he'd walk through its dusty streets: how did the son of such a brave hero become such a great failure? It irked Tracer to no end that no matter how hard he tried, in the eyes of the Community, he would never live up to the lofty standards of his father.
 
He would show them, though. Smirking, Tracer slipped the sword through one of the belt loops of his tattered pants. Yeah, he'd definitely show them. He had his father's sword and with the old bastard too focused on Serenity and her guards, Tracer had the element of surprise. The old man had no idea he had overheard his message and given away his location. Foolish old man probably wasn't expecting him to crash the party.
 
`The Toke warehouse, is what they said?' The Timelord reminded himself as he scanned the area.
 
Tracer began navigating through the maze of plain walled buildings letting the deep red neon glow of the Toke sign be his beacon. Whether or not Serenity's `Scouts' were there matter little to him after what happened all those years ago, he feared nothing.
 
“Serenity better stay outta my way.” Tracer muttered under his breath. “Cause' nothing is going to stop me now.”
 
---------------------------
 
Red.
 
A blood red glow surrounded her.
 
She could smell the stench of it in the air. She could see the puddle of it on the floor. She could feel it like a stain on her hands.
 
Cindy drowned in the crimson neon light flooding the warehouse. No matter where she stood, the eerie glow always touched her. Worst of all, as she paced around, she couldn't evade Reenie's eyes.
 
Those bright red eyes glowed from her deep red silhouette while the shadow of bars cut a pattern of red squares across her face. Jerking her head away, Cindy continued her erratic pacing underneath the crimson glow.
 
An influx of emotion surged through her, consuming the blonde from the inside out. She knew the silent questions coming from Reenie. Why? Why did she betray them after garnering their trust? Why would she betray Serenity? Oh, if Reenie had any idea how wrong things had gone. It wasn't supposed to be this way, Cindy howled in her mind. Cindy groaned and clutched the sides of her head, why she couldn't escape the red?
 
"I'm surprised you allow a child to have that much power over you, Cindy." The old man's taunt echoed off the barren walls. "If you're not careful, it'll drive you to madness."
 
Cindy glanced at Halebit seated in the center of the platform, his expression calm and neutral paying her little attention as he meditated. His voice seemed to be the salt her wounds didn't need and he was obliged to rub it in. The old man must have figured out what she was planning from the beginning, didn't he? He wouldn't have been so smug if he hadn't.
 
"Do you have a grievance with me Cindy?" Halebit stood leveling his intense gaze.
 
Pausing, Cindy became conscious of the scowl she sent his way. However, rather than back down, the blonde narrowed her eyes and rose to the challenge. Time to move onto Plan B, she decided, whether or not there was one.
 
"Yes," she could feel her confidence grow with the defiance in her voice, "yes I do. Why the Silver Crystal?"
 
"I have my reasons, Cindy." The old man's arctic tone warmed slightly. He seemed… amused? "Has Malance returned?"
 
"No he hasn't." Cindy stated surprised as the words left her mouth. That's right, Malance hadn't returned. Maybe that stupid misogynist got what was coming to him.
 
"Why did you send Malance after Serena?"
 
Cindy studied Halebit closely measuring his response as she tested his authority. A ghost of a smile formed on his lips, cracking the old man's stony facade. "Serenity? Oh no, I didn't send him after her, I sent him to distract the Timelord."
 
Cindy's confidence faltered. "W-what do you mean?"
 
Halebit's neutral expression eroded, giving way to a smug grin. "You know the one. I doubt you'd forget him."
 
Cindy turned away from Halebit recalling the smirk on that murdering creature's face after their chase a few days ago. Yeah, she remembered him alright. Clenching her fist, Cindy's anger swelled into a raging fire. He seemed intent on denying her the satisfaction of knowing he was dead, and worse still he seemed hell bent on killing her. Was her family's death not enough to quench his bloodlust?
 
Cindy's lips thinned. If he wanted to pursue her, fine. She still had some unresolved business with him anyway. It would make avenging her family that much easier.
 
"I should never have told you Tracer had killed them. Ever since then, vengeance has poisoned your mind. You lack self-control. It shows me you are weak." Cindy breath hitched when she met Halebit's searing grey eyes. "And I do not tolerate weakness."
 
Cindy retreated under the General's frosty gaze her burning fury dosed. She turned away and sat on the edge of the platform, dangling her legs and willed away the chill that traveled up her spine every time he looked at her like that. She had to focus on the here and now and get out of this predicament, Tracer could wait. Like a wind chime on a breezy day, Reenie's cage began to rattle gently. Against her better judgment, Cindy turned toward the girl and the guilt washed over her anew.
 
The whole way from the temple, Reenie had not uttered one word. Not a word as Halebit marched them to the warehouse. Not a word as Cindy put her into that cage. The child didn't need to; Cindy knew what she was thinking. It was a strange type of torture. Was this another way for Halebit to torment her?
 
Cindy moved her trembling hands to her ears. Even with her hands on her ears she could hear the echoes of the gentle ringing of metal from the cage like small bells tolling for the passing of her damned soul. Is this the price she was willing to pay for revenge?
 
The memories and pain never faded no matter how hard she tried to squeeze them from her mind. Her chest heaved with her every breath, sending little tremors through her body. She wanted to get away from it all. She wanted to wake up and this whole ordeal would have been just a bad dream. She'd wake up and Mama, Papa, and Brother would be waiting for her eating their breakfast alive and well, but they weren't.
 
She could feel herself falling further and further into despair. Is this what hell felt like?
 
However, amongst the soft metallic rattling, she began to hear something else reverberate against the walls of the warehouse. It was a strange melody that quickly gained in strength and volume.
 
Humming. Cindy's hands fell onto her lap as she raised her head. It was definitely humming, low baritone humming. Halebit was humming, she realized. She twisted her head and her eyes nearly popped out of her skull. There was the normally stoic Halebit, eyes closed, standing in place letting his body sway to the imaginary tune he hummed happily.
 
`What's going on?' Cindy thought as the soft prickly legs of dread crept up her neck.
 
-------------------------
 
Calmly, Halebit allowed his chest to evenly expand and contract. However no matter how much he tried, he couldn't ignore the tingly feeling of excitement coursing through his body. No other Traveller would have imagined challenging the highly revered Queen Serenity and her court.
 
Bah, the stories of her past exploits of defeating one powerful enemy after another didn't intimidate him. He was one of the strongest and smartest generals to have ever fought in the Great War. Halebit took pride in what he was able to accomplish with the Society once he'd taken over the reins from his dead rival, Trekker. What was once a floundering organization was now humming like a well-oiled military machine. It also proved how overblown that idiot's reputation truly was. Great General indeed.
 
It didn't matter anyway; soon the Silver Crystal would be in his hands and then his precious red crystals would be within his reach. Halebit licked his lips. Yes, those red crystals. He'd have to give his regards to that old Nomad for introducing him to it though he was a damn fool for trying to deny him more. Him? Addicted? What an absurd concept. Only those of weak constitution were addicts.
 
Didn't that old wanderer know he was in complete control?
 
Halebit exhaled loudly through his nose. At least the Nomad had told him where to find more before he choked the last breathe out of him. Indignant old fool, he sniffed, thinking he was a slave to the crystals.
 
`Only the meek would allow something like that to hold vice over them. I am not meek, Nihil doesn't know what he's talking about. My victory is close at hand!'
 
Then, he heard it -- music echoing off the cold, bare walls of the warehouse like heavenly creatures sang a song of his impending victory. He had proven his worth to everyone, to the Counsule, to Trekker, to Cindy, and more importantly to Serenity and her hapless flock of minions. The music soothed over his senses and he wanted to sing along.
 
He had conquered the art of control. And in his world, there were no equals. The fools didn't realize control is power.
 
'And I am power.'
 
"Wha-what are you doing?" That damnable woman muttered once again breaking his concentration. He needed to find another use for her now that she fulfilled her initial purpose.
 
Halebit, lost in the melody ringing in his ears, swayed to the dream-like rhythm.
"Can't you hear it, Cindy? It's the music. Sweet, glorious music."
 
Stopping momentarily, the old man gazed at the blonde her mouth slightly agape. His sights lingered on her soft pout lips and the red silhouette of her face. The whole image brought to mind a woman he once had the pleasure of engaging at a brothel. The old man closed his eyes at the carnal memory those images stirred. That woman had been as much as a wild shrew as the woman seated before him.
 
`Heh.' The General chuckled. 'I believe I've found another assignment for that girl. However she is far too stubborn and undisciplined to fully serve *that* purpose. Perhaps it's time for another lesson? '
 
'You're only fooling yourself, Hally.' Nihil's disembodied voice abruptly stopped the melody. 'She just knows you're weak and no matter how much you think you've broken her, she'll find a way to defeat you.'
 
'I am not weak. She'll eventually learn her place beneath me. I am certain of it.' Halebit retorted.
 
Recalling the melody, Halebit continued to hum and calmly opened his eyes, eager to melt the stubbornness of his blonde soldier. He had proven his point many times in the past and couldn't wait to begin her lessons anew.
 
He stopped humming when welcomed by Cindy's disbelieving stare.
 
'See, Halebit, you are near the end.' Nihil taunted. 'Just like Malance, she has seen your weakness. If you don't eliminate her now, she will be your undoing.'
 
Halebit swallowed hard. Beads of perspiration formed on his forehead. Nihil chuckled.
 
`Or maybe you don't want to. Fool, are you willing to sacrifice everything just for *that*?! Huh, you weakling? What a hypocrite! You speak of being too strong to be held in vices when you're willing to plunge head first into the grip of *her* vice?!'
 
No, he was strong and powerful. Right now he was just suffering from a temporary condition. There was hardly an illness he had yet to defeat!
 
'Meditation will cure me of this disease, yes!' Halebit decided, his body snapped at attention like a whip.
 
Turning sharply on his heels, the old man barked his orders in rapid succession, "Cindy, wait here-"
 
'Meditation will not stop me, Halebit.'
 
"-You know what to do when the Moon Princess shows-"
 
`Meditation will cure me of you!'
 
'I highly doubt that. You're too weak. Heh.'
 
Halebit strode toward his soldier until his face was mere inches away from hers, "And don't do anything that would displease me."
 
Cindy did not move a muscle as Halebit stared intently at her face. He had her full attention. Good.
 
`And I noticed she has you `full' attention as well. Hahaha!'
 
Pausing, Halebit let his voice lower almost growling at the blonde. "Malance displeased me and he has yet to return. Don't doubt you won't meet the same fate but by my hands."
 
'Meditate! Meditate! MEDITATE!'
 
Halebit's face solidified and he marched. He eagerly eyed the office door just beyond the platform, not even bothering to wipe away the sweat that slid down his face. Behind him, Halebit could still hear the rumble of Nihil's laughter.
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 
He was her knight in shining armor, wasn't he? He had made a vow, damn it. It was his duty, no, his destiny to protect Serena. He'd always swoop in and save the day as Tuxedo Mask whenever she got into trouble. Of course, lately it seemed like he wasn't doing a good job.
 
It was a disturbing trend, in Darien's opinion. He couldn't remember how many times he'd let Serena down. He knew he shouldn't have made that trip to Osaka. At least if he hadn't gone he would have been here when those blasted Travellers showed up.
 
Glancing out of the corner of his eye, Darien could see Serena leaning her head against the frosty glass. Her red puffed cheeks glowed in her reflection. God, he hated seeing her so miserable. He felt so useless right now and it disturbed him that the feeling wasn't so foreign.
 
“I *know* it. Everything in me knows it.” Serena's murmur roused his attention.
 
“Know what Serena?” He whispered back.
 
“She wouldn't betray us.” Darien winced at Serena's soft whimper.
 
Darien's gut clenched, he knew what she was talking about. That one Traveller named Cindy. Though he'd hardly met the woman, Serena clearly had invested a lot of trust in her which was probably the reason why she took the news about her kidnapping Reenie so hard.
 
It was hard for Darien to see Serena put through so much anguish. Those had been trying times and no matter how much it had harden him, Serena always walked away with her optimism intact. That's what he liked about her, the most in fact. However, he knew she didn't escape unscathed.
 
Sometimes, he wondered how great the weight of the burden she carried on her shoulders. Compassion was her greatest fault and simultaneously her greatest asset. It knew no bounds extending even to their enemies meaning that no matter the outcome, there would be a pang in her heart. It was evident to Darien when she smiled. Though genuine, it looked sadder and sadder after each battle.
 
Darien sighed; this train of thought was getting him nowhere.
 
Reaching over, Darien gently squeezed Serena's hand hoping it might give the girl some reassurance. She squeezed back in response. Good. It wasn't great, but at least it was a positive sign. Though he couldn't take away her pain, at least he could help her shoulder that burden.
 
Returning his attention to the road in front of them, he glanced at the rearview mirror where Amy and her disheveled boyfriend were lost in their own thoughts. Both had been silent once they entered the car and currently both were looking out opposing windows. Darien glowered slightly.
 
Did that asshole really kidnap Greg? He wasn't so sure now. He had been the one who jumped to that asshole's defense and in doing so allowed him the opening to strike Serena. Fortunately, Serena activated the Silver Crystal in the nick of time, but still whose side was that boy on?
 
However, Greg was the least of their worries. They still had Halebit to contend with. The fact he had been able to take out Mina on his own was a testament to his skill. Halebit definitely had something prepared for them especially if he had Reenie as collateral.
 
Then, there was Cindy. As much as he put total faith in Serena's trust in her, her betrayal was an undeniable fact. There could be a whole slew of reasons why she didn't fight back, but in the end she obeyed Halebit's orders. They would have to be particularly careful if they met her again. However, Darien did hold out a dim hope that maybe Serena might be able to talk to Cindy but he considered it with cautious optimism.
 
Finally, there was the asshole himself, Tracer. With his tongue, Darien gingerly massaged the interior of his sore mouth. He had to give the jerk some credit; he could pack a mean punch. Darien narrowed his eyes and fumed. That asshole had a lot of gall for all the taunts he spewed and if Lita's attack hadn't paralyzed him, Darin would have wiped the floor with him. Next time, he wouldn't hold back against the arrogant prick.
 
Realizing he was openly glaring at the road rushing beneath them, Darien swallowed down the bitterness that built up in his throat and slowed down the car. No sense now in getting worked up over this if it wasn't going to do him, and especially Serena, any good. Their goal right now was to get Reenie back.
 
Ripples of movement in the backseat once again drew Darien's attention to the rearview mirror.
 
“Is everything alright back there?” He asked as he watched Amy rummage for something out of his sight.
 
"I'm going to try and contact Mina to see if she's okay." Amy replied, her voice barely audible over the hum of the road.
 
No longer able to keep an eye on Amy, Darien decided to keep his eyes ahead. However, his curiosity was piqued when he heard Amy's compact click open. Perking his ears, Darien listened.
 
“Mina, are you there?” Amy spoke into her mini-computer.
 
"Yes, Mercury?"
 
"Oh, Neptune. Is Mina okay?"
 
"She's conscious."
 
"Er, that's good. What about Chad and Ken?"
 
"Chad is still unconscious. Saturn is currently attending to Ken."
 
“And Raye?”
 
“She will live.”
 
“Ah. Uh, do you have any more details about what happened at the shrine?”
 
“It appears that the Traveller attacked the men first and then took Venus by surprise. Luna and Artemis said the Traveller then threatened Ken's life if Cindy didn't cooperate.”
 
“Ah. And that's it?”
 
“That is all.” There was an awkward pause on the other end. “Mercury?”
 
“Yes?”
 
“It might be best that we let Pluto handle things from here.”
 
Darien frowned as he caught Serena twitch. What kind of game was Michelle playing? She knew they could all hear her, did this need to be discussed now?
 
“I see.” There was another uncomfortable pause. Darien could imagine the tiny gears in Amy's head churning. “I don't think that's the best course of action, Neptune. Tell Sailor Pluto that she may teleport to the warehouse when everyone is ready but not to do anything until we all arrive. I think it would be best to have Serena handle the negotiations.”
 
Once again a moment of uncomfortable silence halted the conversation, a foreboding omen. Darien dared a peek at his rearview and could tell from the stern expression on Amy's face that she meant business.
 
“Neptune?” She questioned.
 
“Do you think that's wise considering the state Serena is in?”
 
“I have no doubt in Serena's ability to handle the situation. Out of all of us, she knew Cindy the best.” The frost in Amy's tone was unmistakable now.
 
“And we thought we knew Cindy well, but it's obvious we were deceived. Besides, this is obviously a trap, it would be best to have Pluto handle things from here.” Michelle's voice was just as artic, in return.
 
“From what Luna and Artemis told you, it appears that Cindy is an unwilling participant in this plot.” There was an odd subtle tone to Amy's voice when she was annoyed.
 
“How do we know that wasn't just a little show to keep us in the dark? She's lied to us already.”
 
With their words flying back and forth, Darien couldn't help but imagine the two girls were involved more in a match of chess than a casual conversation.
 
“That might be true, but I trust the judgments of our Queen and I have confidence that she will be able to get Reenie back safely.” Amy countered.
 
“Is that the will of Queen Serenity?”
 
“Serena?” Lifting her eyes from the palm-sized computer, she gazed at the girl in the front seat.
 
The blonde girl, who had been listening avidly the entire time, lifted her head. Turning back towards Amy, Serena stared at her blue-haired friend with weary, yet bright eyes and nodded firmly.
 
“It is, Neptune,” she conveyed the girl's message.
 
“So be it. I will inform Pluto.”
 
"Thank you, your cooperation is greatly appreciated, Neptune."
 
*Click*
 
Still twisted toward the backseat, Serena let out an uneasy breath. “Thank you Amy, but you didn't need to do that.”
 
“I needed to, Serena. I've come to learn to trust your instincts over the years and though on the surface it appears Cindy has betrayed us, I believe, like you, there is some good in Cindy and I think you're the one who can persuade her to do the right thing.”
 
A small smile graced Serena's face. Darien beamed now that was the Serena he remembered.
 
“Amy?”
 
“Yes, Greg?”
 
“That was really impressive.”
 
Looking up, Darien could see the deep shade of red color Amy's cheeks. “Uh, thank you Greg.”
 
`That girl is too shy for her own good.' Darien snorted, returning to the task of driving.
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 
*Click*
 
`Oh, what a terrible nightmare!' Ken thought, thanking whatever sounds that woke him from his deep slumber.
 
He wasn't sure why he had dreamt he was being choked to death by an evil old man, but it was pretty vivid. He couldn't recall a dream that gave him chills like the look on the old man's face. It had been so cold, emotionless, and unrelenting, as he leisurely killed him. Well, choking wasn't really accurate; more like the old man was levitating him using some weird aura around his hands. Maybe he'd been reading too many comics lately? Anyway, the dream had been pretty strange overall. It had talking cats and everything.
 
Why did his dreams always have to be heavy on the symbolism?
 
`Oh well, at least it was only a dream.' Ken resigned mentally as his brain pulled him to full consciousness.
 
Instantly, his throat began burning like he had downed a cup of scalding hot water.
 
`Okay, maybe it wasn't a dream.'
 
Oh boy did he hurt. It hurt to breathe through his mouth or his nose, heck it just hurt to inhale at all. Of course he wanted to scream or yelp or groan, but that of course required using his lungs. So instead he settled, inhaling shallowly through his nose until the soreness around his throat ebbed away.
 
“What is it Mich? Is there something wrong?” Desperate for some distraction from his throat, Ken concentrated on the voice in the room next door.
 
It was feminine but somewhat husker than he expected for a woman, more so it was unfamiliar.
 
It then occurred to Ken; it didn't sound like he was at a hospital. That was curious. Was he still at the shrine?
 
“Serenity has asked us to wait until they arrive at the warehouse before engaging the Traveller.” The irritation on the woman's voice was unmistakable to his trained ear. He had months of going out with Lita to thank for that.
 
“I see.”
 
“Is Vicky nearly done healing Chad?”
 
“Yeah. She'll be done in moment.”
 
“Where's Pluto?”
 
“She's helping Raye with the funeral pyre.”
 
Though it pained him, Ken crinkled his eyebrows confused. Who was Pluto? How did these two women know Raye? What happened to Raye's grandfather? Did he die? Was Raye's boyfriend okay?
 
The more he thought about it the more baffling the mystery. For certain, he was definitely at the shrine, but he couldn't understand why he wasn't at a hospital. He nearly died for crying out loud! Ken cringed when he felt the pain in his throat flare up, all over again.
 
`Okay, Ken, you're not well enough for righteous indignation just yet. Gotta take it slow.' He soothed, continuing to listen to the strangers in the next room.
 
“What about Mina?”
 
“She went to fish her transformation pen from Raye's bedroom.”
 
`Alright,' Ken drawled mentally, `so these women know Raye and Mina. Who else do they know? And what's a transformation pen?'
 
“Hey guys!” Ah, that chipper falsetto could only be Mina.
 
“Are you feeling better?”
 
“As better as I can be.”
 
Ken could hear the other two women sigh.
 
“Can you transform?”
 
There was a short pause before Mina's reply. “Yeah, I think so.”
 
He could feel a few heavy tremors of footsteps as Mina called out. “Venus Crystal Power!”
 
Ken's eyes snapped open and he found himself staring at a vaulted ceiling ignited by bursts of orange and gold.
 
He couldn't take this anymore. He needed to know what was going on. Carefully, Ken turned his throbbing head toward the door leaking streams of bright golden light.
 
`I must be imagining things.' Ken's mind was in upheaval. `Mina can't be Sailor Venus! Can't she?'
 
As he crawled, he peeked through the small opening of the sliding door into the next room. It was hard to focus with his head pounding as it was, but he squinted and could clearly see a blonde girl wearing a golden tiara along with an orange skirt and collar that he would typically associate with the Sailor Scouts. However, the closer he looked at Sailor Venus, her apparent similarities with Mina were uncanny. Both were blondes, both had blue eyes, both had that red ribbon in their hair, and they had similar faces.
 
“Mina is Sailor Venus?” He murmured. “I must be hallucinating or something.”
 
“What was that Ken?”
 
“Lita!” Ken almost immediately regretted spinning so suddenly. The throbbing in his forehead nearly made him collapse back onto the hard wood floor.
 
Blinking, Ken stared right at the sparkling emerald eyes of his girlfriend standing at open doorway, the light from the adjourning bathroom making her appear near irreverent. Immediately, he felt Lita's strong grip on his arm helping drag him back to the mat to lie down. With great care, Lita pulled up a thick white comforter up to his neck. He was used to her being slightly protective, but somehow this seemed a little obsessive.
 
“What are you doing up!?” He jerked a little at her admonishment and she continued in a hushed whisper. “You're hurt and you need your rest!”
 
“Yes that's true.” Ken began to wonder again, rather irritably; if he was so hurt why hadn't anyone taken him to a hospital. “But why am I still here? I mean I was nearly choked to death by some crazy old man!”
 
Ken reeled when he saw Lita wincing and decided quickly that he shouldn't be lashing out at her. “I'm sorry Lita. It's just that this whole thing has me really confused."
 
Ken's heart skipped a beat when his tall brunette goddess gave him a small smile, though a tad apprehensive. “I heard. I was really worried about you and I came as soon as I found out.”
 
“Who called you?” Ken wasn't sure if it was being horizontal again that made him this perceptive or what but things just didn't add up.
 
Lita flinched. “Uh, Mina did.”
 
“But she was out cold before I blacked out. Besides where did you guys go? I thought you were having a slumber party or something.”
 
The brunette paused and chewed on her lower lip, his questions making her nervous. “W-well, Serena had wanted some ice cream so we went to get some and left Mina here to look after Reenie.”
 
“Serena's cousin?” Oh, yeah, that little girl was there, but there was also someone else. “But who was that blonde woman?”
 
“Um, that was a friend of Serena's.” It seemed as though the words were just tumbling out of Lita's mouth. Ken couldn't understand why she was so anxious.
 
“She seemed to know that psychotic old man pretty well too.”
 
The blond boy retreated beneath the wooly comforter when he saw Lita's features darken making him wish he hadn't broached the subject. “Unfortunately, she wasn't who we thought she was.”
 
“So why attack the shrine?” It was strange, the longer he lay down unhindered by the dizziness the more questions kept coming to mind. He'd hoped his best friend could provide some kind answers or at least some comfort but they only seemed to be making her more nervous. “And what does this old guy and the lady want with Reenie?”
 
“I-I'm not too sure,” she stuttered.
 
“And who are those two women in the other room and why is Mina-“ Suddenly, Ken stopped his questions. Of course, now it all made sense now! “It's because Mina is Sailor Venus! Right!? The old man found out Mina was Sailor V and decided to kidnap one of her friends and try to use her as bait or something to lure the Sailor Scouts into a trap!”
 
Ken chuckled to himself. He was becoming a regular Inspector Watson. Wait, was that the right one? Argh, he was never good with English literature. It didn't matter. He had been able to unravel the mystery about what was going on. He could tell by how quickly all of the color drain from Lita's face.
 
`Holy crap!' Ken panicked. Had he made the biggest mistake of his life?
 
“H-how do you know?”
 
“Uh, I kinda heard Mina transform in the other room a minute or two before you came in.”
 
“Ah, I-I see.”
 
“Er, I promise I won't tell anyone, Lita. I mean she's your friend. I'd hate to put her in any danger.”
 
Ken held his breath as Lita closed her eyes and took in a sharp intake of air. “It's okay Ken, just… promise me something.”
 
“Ah. Okay.” He sighed, feeling somewhat relieved for reasons he wasn't quite sure.
 
Lita's eyes opened, pinning Ken with a hard, serious stare. The boy shivered and all sense of relief evaporated. He'd never been on the business end of such stares, though he'd seen many bullies shrivel under them. It was like he'd stumbled into a minefield and he feared to make any false steps and loose a limb in the process. Figurative or literal, he wasn't sure.
 
“I want you to promise me that you'll never tell any one about what you know.” Her tone was grave, and bordered on threatening. “Not to Mina, not to Chad, not to Reenie, or to any of the other girls.”
 
“I promise.” He squeaked like a cornered rat.
 
Lita glanced towards the door to the main room and sighed. “Thank you, Ken. I-I just don't want you to get hurt again like you did tonight.”
 
Melting back into the soft mat, Ken exhaled the slow drawl of sleep overcoming him. “I understand Lita. You're only looking out for me and I know that.”
 
Warmth filled Ken's chest when Lita's gaze returned to him and softened. Leaning forward she caressed his face, her fingers spreading small jolts across his cheek. The sensation sedated him and he stifled a yawn.
 
Lita smiled. “Get some sleep, Ken.”
 
This time Ken didn't hold back and yawned loudly. “Okay.”
 
As his eyes fluttered closed, Lita's lips brushed against his forehead. God he loved that woman. Content, Ken listened as Lita's heavy footsteps walked away from him followed by the sound of a door sliding open.
 
“Oh hi Lita!” Mina welcomed cheerfully. “Is Ken okay?”
 
As sleep began to hazy his senses, Ken could make out the sound of Lita's voice.
 
“Yeah.” Huh, why did she sound so distant? “He's okay.”
 
Then he heard the door shut and the world soon faded away.
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
 
It was finished. Raye lowered her hands and finally allowed the tears to fall freely.
 
“Goodbye.” Raye whispered hoarsely as she watched the flames consume her grandfather's remains through bleary eyes. “I'll miss you.”
 
It had been a miracle in her opinion that she was able to chant the sutras at all. She had a hard enough time cleaning and preparing Grandpa's body and for that she was eternally grateful for Pluto's assistance. The process was rushed and clumsy and though she would have preferred to give her grandfather a more proper burial, both she and Pluto knew that they didn't have any time to do so.
 
When they appeared in the shrine and found Grandpa's body, Pluto helped her carry the body away without any prompting and the stoic woman hardly batted an eyelash or gave any indication she was uncomfortable as they washed his lifeless body. To Raye it appeared that this was the Time Guardian's way of offering her condolences. For a woman of so few words, her actions spoke volumes. Raye had begun to realize that and came to appreciate it.
 
Raye glanced over to the woman in question standing in silence next to her. Pluto had opted to stay in her Sailor Scout uniform despite the cool night which didn't surprise Raye in the least. The older woman appeared too deep in concentration to acknowledge that Raye had stopped chanting much a less the cold breeze nipping at her bare flesh.
 
`She's probably got a lot on her mind too.' She thought with a sigh and wiped her raw eyes. She'd shed all the tears she could muster leaving her feeling empty inside.
 
She'd known for a while now that her grandfather's time was coming; she'd just never allowed herself to entertain the possibility. However, he was gone forever and that`s what scared her the most. He was the wick to her flame. He was the one who encouraged her to pursue her dreams and encouraged her to never give up.
 
`If only Serena hadn't listened to that traitor.' Raye clenched her fists, fury stirring within her at the thought of those accursed Travellers. `If she hadn't fallen for her act, Grandpa would be alive!'
 
Swallowing hard, Raye quickly quelled her anger. She didn't want to be resentful towards Serena. As much as she wanted to blame Serena for all of this, she couldn't bring herself to do so. She had bigger issues that required her attention and becoming consumed with bitterness wasn't going to get her any resolution.
 
How was she going to run the shrine when she still had yet to graduate from high school? How were they going to get Reenie back? How are they going to get rid of these meddlesome Travellers? Was the future that Pluto showed them ruined because of those Travellers? All these questions overwhelmed her and threatened to bury Raye's mind and soul. She needed the other Scouts if she was going to get through this… and she needed Serena, she admitted begrudgingly.
 
It didn't mean she was ready to bury the hatchet, no way. When this whole horrible ordeal was over, that blonde airhead had a lot to answer for. Then they could go back to hanging out at the arcade and laugh about old times over a soda like they used to.
 
“Neptune.” Pluto's greeting made Raye aware of the approaching group.
 
Hastily, Raye used the sleeve of her priestess robes to wipe her eyes and cheeks of any lingering tears. Settling down her grief, Raye straightened her back and steeled her gaze as she faced the group. She needed to be strong, that's what her grandfather would have wanted her to do.
 
As the small troop approached, Raye noticed the rest of the girls had already transformed into their Sailor Scout alter egos making her feel self-conscious in her red and white priestess robes. Mina skipped out ahead of Michelle and Erica, and Raye's sharp eye could tell Mina was giving her an once-over despite her bright expression. Raye frowned. Being assessed like some wounded animal was not appreciated.
 
“Heya, Raye.” Mina intoned softly. “How are you feeling?”
 
`Like my whole world is crumbling around me and there is nothing I can do to stop it?' Raye's frown deepened and her dark eyes glowered at the blonde girl, and replied as calmly as only years of meditating could allow. “I'm okay.”
 
“Good!” Raye cringed as Mina's face brightened considerably. Before Raye could react, Mina had snatched her hand and looked her seriously in the eye.
 
“Just remember we're here for you Raye and we'll do whatever we can to help you through this.” Mina peered over her shoulder. “Am I right, Lita?”
 
Curious, Raye looked over Mina's shoulder as well catching the tall brunette staring off into the night preoccupied by her own thoughts.
 
“Lita?” Mina repeated sweetly, with no response. “Lita!” She barked sending Raye as well as Lita jumping like they were hit with a jolt of electricity.
 
“Huh, what?” Lita managed as she rubbed the back of her head, embarrassed. “I'm sorry, what was that again?”
 
Raye could practically taste the saccharin sweetness in Mina's voice. “I was just reassuring Raye here that we're going to offer her all the support we can.”
 
Blinking, Lita nodded. “Yeah.”
 
When Mina swiveled her head back around, the blonde gave Raye a radiate smile that almost rivaled the sun. “See, not a thing to worry about. We got your back!”
 
Raye's eyebrow twitched. “I'll be fine alright Mina. Anyway we have bigger fish to fry.”
 
“Mars is right,” Pluto moved toward the center of the group, “we must focus on getting Small Lady back.”
 
“So,” Mina clapped her hands and rubbed them expectedly. “What's the game plan?”
 
Standing tall, Pluto towered over the other girls and surveyed the group gathered around her. “Victoria, are you sure you're strong enough to join us? You must be drained after healing those two boys.”
 
Upon command, the small girl emerged from behind Erica and Michelle. Her pale skin glowed from the light of the flickering flames. The exhaustion was very apparent on her face. “I'm just a little tired. I'll be ready when the time comes.”
 
Victoria has spoken so softly that Raye could have easily confused it with a gentle breeze.
 
“Okay.” In comparison, Pluto's voice almost boomed. “I will need you all to transform before we leave. I'll transport us to the roof of the building and I want you all to be on guard the moment we arrive. Mars and Jupiter I want you to enter in the rear, Venus, you'll cover the entrance. Uranus and Neptune will back me up.”
 
Mina raised her hand. “Excuse me Pluto, but what will you be doing?”
 
Raye noticed Pluto's spare Mina a withering glance, which didn't seem to phase the blonde one bit. “I will be engaging the enemy. I will see to it that nothing will happen to Small Lady.”
 
“Actually, Pluto.” Michelle spoke up. “Serena wants us to wait for her to arrive at the warehouse.”
 
“I see.”
 
Raye narrowed her eyes; the temperature of her blood steadily rose. There was only one reason she would want them to wait. “She wants to talk to Cindy, huh?”
 
Michelle's cool green gaze settled on Raye. “Yes.”
 
“Argh, I knew she'd do this!” Raye growled. “What does she hope to accomplish by talking to that… that murderer!?”
 
“I'm not sure.” Mina tapped her chin. “However, we've seen her talk her way out of tougher situations than this. I don't see why not?”
 
“You don't see why not!?” Raye could hear her pulse pounding in her head. “Mina, I think it's time to let Pluto run the show. She's got seniority over the rest of us!”
 
“But Serena is our leader and our friend.” Mina pointed out.
 
“I realize that.” Raye hunched her shoulders and glowered at the ground. The pounding in her head wouldn't subside. “But things are different this time. This time our enemy is not of this world, heck they're not even of this dimension! They can take Reenie to places we can't follow! They know everything about us and we hardly know anything about them! And the longer these `Travellers' stay here the more they'll disrupt our future.”
 
“I think Serena can talk to Cindy.” Mina stated simply. “At least that way we'll have a Traveller on our side.”
 
“Oh?” Raye raised a questioning eyebrow. “How are you so sure she'll listen?”
 
Mina crossed her arms, her cheeriness momentarily drained from her demeanor. “I'm alive aren't I? From what Luna and Artemis told me, Halebit gave Cindy a choice, take Reenie or everyone dies.”
 
Raye snorted, she could feel her temper slipping. This was all insane. She needed to find a way to reason with her without exploding. “Lita, could you talk some sense into Mina, please?”
 
“Hmm?” The said girls mind was still adrift.
 
Raye grounded her teeth, counting to ten. “Lita, what in the heck has got you so distracted?” Her grief nipped at the edges of her mind, slowly becoming overwhelming. “There's a crisis going on here, for crying out loud! Reenie's in danger, the future is in doubt, and Grandpa is dead! At least Ken is alive! At least be grateful for that! Now focus!”
 
She was breathing hard. Why was she breathing hard? Raye blinked, her world gaining greater clarity all of the sudden. Mina looked worried. Lita looked angered. Michelle and Erica looked tensed. Victoria looked scared. Pluto looked… she couldn't tell, but she thought she could see empathy in the woman's eyes.
 
“Mars.” Pluto's tone was effectively like a cold shower and she cracked.
 
She could feel someone putting a hand on her shaking shoulders. Why were they shaking? Why was everything all blurry again? Was that a sob that just escaped her lips?
 
“Oh God.” Raye dabbed her eyes. Was she crying? “No.”
 
“Mars.” It was Pluto again, her voice now soothing. “It's okay. Everything will turn out okay. This I vow.”
 
Raye sniffed and stood, her resolve returning to her. Squeezing the remaining tears from her eyes, she looked at the Time Guardian, feeding off the confidence the older woman provided. Yes, everything was going to be okay. There was still a future waiting for them. Pluto and her friends would provide her with the support she needed to confront whatever life threw at her. Turning to her friends she bowed, apologetically.
 
“Forgive me, everyone.” Raye rose, relieved to see that everyone appeared more relaxed.
 
Pluto returned to the center of the group and resumed command. “Since it appears that we are still in conflict over the situation at hand, we will wait for our Queen to arrive at the warehouse and we will decide our next course of action. Does anyone have any objections?”
 
Raye nodded, as did the other girls. After her small explosion of words, she was feeling much better. Those recognizable faces circling around her had begun to bring back the fond familiarity of those halcyon days.
 
“Good.” The Time Guardian whisked around to Raye. “Mars, if you will please.”
 
Her eyes alit with determination, Raye nodded again and reached into the sleeves of her robes, her slender fingers wrapping around her transformation pen. With an unwavering resolution, she pulled it from her garments, lifting it into the clear night.
 
`I *will* be strong for you Grandpa!'
 
-End of Part 7-
 
Author's Notes:
I must confess to you my dear readers that I wasn't very pleased with how this chapter came out even with the reassurance of my pre/beta-readers. I still am not sure if I put most of you asleep… well if you've made it this far then I assume not. If you've got any feedback on this chapter, any at all, it'd be much appreciated, good or bad.
 
Anyway, special thanks to Kindness of Illusion (KOI) and Setsu-P for looking over this bad boy. Oh yeah keep your eyes on mm.org fanart section for more art by Setsu in the near future. She's promised me a few more drawings and from her inquires they should prove interesting.
 
By the way, more music that inspired some scenes:
Tracer's Reflections - Piggy by NIN
Cindy in the Dark Crimson Light - Bloodstain by UNKLE
Halebit's Humming? - It's the Music by Meat Beat Manifesto
Raye at the Funeral Pyre - You've Been Flirting Again (Telegram Remix) by Bjork
Driving in Darien's Car - True Dreams of Wichita by Soul Coughing
Awaking Ken from a Dream of Talking Cats - I Don't Feel So Well by Vienna Teng
 
Disclaimer:
All original characters are owned and copyrighted by Bastion (c) 2007.
And Sailor Moon is owned by Naoko Takeuchi and in America by DIC and Pioneer and
ADV, etc, etc, etc...
 
Bastion Rev 10/07