Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Saber Marionette Fan Fiction ❯ Terrible Things to Waste ❯ ... Before It Gets Better ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This is it folks! The climax! Hehehehehe. I hope you guys enjoy it. I've neglected my wife to get this to you so you better enjoy it!
 
Speaking of the wife, please leave comments and reviews so I can show her that I am spending all this time on the computer for a reason. Um, I don't want to sleep on the couch again. -_-;;;; The sacrifices we fanfic authors make sometimes…
 
Dedications go out to Setsu-P for putting together some nice looking cover art for this story. They're posted up on Mediaminer right now so go ahead and check them out. Just remember to come back and read the story after you're done drooling. Hehe.
 
In addition I'd also like to thank Hypaalicious over at ffnet for the kind review, it's much appreciated.
 
---------------------------------------
Terrible Things to Waste
Part 8: …Before It Gets Better
---------------------------------------
 
Pluto was well aware of what eternity meant. She'd lived a drab existence guarding the Time Tunnel for what felt like eons watching those little puffs of moisture lazily float by. And with the sands of time slipping through her fingers, the minutes she waited for her Queen to appear at the warehouse came close to feeling just as long.
 
The other girls were quietly murmuring to themselves. At least Neptune, Uranus, and Venus were. Mars and Jupiter were oddly silent as they waited a few blocks away from the Toke warehouse.
 
She understood Mars' melancholy, but Jupiter's silence bothered her somewhat. Typically, the brunette would be bristling with excitement rather than listlessly standing around like she had lost her brain. Next to Uranus and Neptune, Jupiter was the best fighter in the group and she was going to need that in the inevitable battle. Unfortunately, there were much larger problems looming for Pluto just on the horizon.
 
The timeline had been compromised, that much was for certain. The question and the problem were, just how much? She wouldn't know until the Travellers left and she could assess the damage. Fixing their timeline would be the next hurdle.
 
`That's if I can fix it.' She thought, crestfallen.
 
Already, things had begun to fall out of sequence. Raye's grandfather's death was by far the cruelest surprise she'd experience since the Travellers arrived. She had hoped it wouldn't affect Raye too much since he didn't have much time left on this world. Her eyes flickered to the girl in question, as she stood aloof from the group. She remembered how the priestess mechanically washed his corpse and then methodically recited a ritual chant before finally breaking down and crying. Pluto briefly closed her eyes; the memory leaving her with a cold feeling inside.
 
This was all her fault. She had failed to convince her Queen just how much danger she was putting herself in. If she'd only swallowed her pride and revealed her disadvantage…
 
On the other hand, she wasn't sure compromising herself in front of the Traveller would have been all that bright of an idea either. She'd thought she'd have enough of an advantage considering her experience and knowledge of the events of this timeline. She underestimated the Travellers' cunning and for that she had failed in her duties.
 
For the first time in her very long life, she was at a loss of what to do. She found herself in unfamiliar waters and she felt like she was flailing her arms desperately.
 
No, she wasn't, she determined. A Time Guardian would never allow herself to think like this. There was always a solution, she just needed to keep her mind clear to find it.
 
Focusing on her duties and responsibilities was the solution. As the Time Guardian everyone was going to depend on her to make sure the peaceful future that had been envisioned by the first Queen Serenity was ensured. Despite everything, as long as she kept on her mission, she knew she'd make it through this.
 
“Let me get this straight. This Tracer guy fought Tuxedo Mask, survived a direct World Shaking from you, and a fall down a few flights of stairs?” Venus said, astonished.
 
“Yes, Venus.” Uranus replied, tucking her arms under her chest, wearing a slight frown.
 
Venus backed away from the pair and grimaced. “I wish you had mentioned that sooner. I think we need to go check out the warehouse now.”
 
“Why?”
 
“In case this Tracer guy gets there before we do. I mean, he all but told everyone he `s here for the old man.”
 
“No we are not, Venus.” Pluto said in the most authoritative tone she could muster. “We will stay back and wait for our Queen. Besides, I don't want to give away our position to the Travellers.”
 
To the Time Guardian's surprise, the blonde girl didn't seem at all affected.
 
“You're right, but maybe if some of us did a real quick patrol of the surrounding area, we might be able to intercept him before he gets to the warehouse.” Venus replied with a shrug.
 
“And what do we do if we intercept him?” Neptune asked leaving only a hint of intrigue.
 
“Then we make him feel as unwelcome as we can.” Pluto had to admit the wide toothy smile Venus wore right then was downright disturbing. “I mean, I doubt we could kill him, at least if it was one on one, but one of us could definitely distract him long enough while the rest rescue Reenie.”
 
Pluto was almost going to dismiss Venus' idea outright, but thought better of it. She had a point. They hadn't actually seen the Timelord leave. He'd disappeared in a flash of light after Serenity activated her Silver Crystal. With the other Travellers in this timeline, she couldn't confirm whether or not he had left them behind for good. Somehow, she had a feeling he was still out there.
 
Her imagination ran rampant. She could envision the devastation that awaited them at the warehouse with the Timelord standing before them holding the beaten and bloody corpse of Small Lady. Now primed for motivation, Pluto was about to put Venus' plan into action when a pair of headlights rounded the corner.
 
Pluto felt anxious and jittery, and it took a great deal of effort not to involuntarily shake. As her Queen and King emerged from the car, the Time Guardian resisted tapping her foot. Time Guardians didn't get impatient, so, why was she?
 
A rush of guilt bloomed anew in Pluto when Serenity's somber face was illuminated in the weak silvery moonlight. Her cheeks were flushed and sparkled slightly where tears had run down them from puffy red-rimmed eyes.
 
The other girls had come to attention as Serenity and her fiancé, Endymion, approached. Mercury following close behind.
 
“About time you got here.” Mars spoke softly yet sharply.
 
Endymion appeared about to speak but was cut off by Serenity's quiet gesture. Pluto watched as Mars and Serenity silently gazed at each other. Pluto knew that her Queen had her reasons; nonetheless, she'd hoped she'd speed up the process. It was her obligation as Time Guardian not to get involved, but Small Lady was in danger. Each passing second wasted was like a pair of synchronized chisels on her brain.
 
Fortunately for Pluto, Mars had a much shorter temper. “Okay, Meatball Head, what's this brilliant plan you have that we had to wait twenty minutes in the cold for?”
 
“Uh,” Serenity peered past Mars towards Pluto, “well, I just wanted to talk to Cindy and get her to release Reenie. That's all I had planned.”
 
Behind her, Uranus exhaled loudly. Mars, on the other hand, chose to express her displeasure more vocally.
 
“What!?” Mars exploded. “That's your plan!?”
 
Several in the group cringed. Pluto allowed a frown to momentarily appear. The priestess would need to use more discretion if they didn't want to alert the Travellers they had arrived.
 
Serenity, for her part however, hardly blinked. Her deep blue eyes glowed in the darkness of the alley and her response was barely a whisper. “Yes. That's my plan.”
 
“You've hardly thought this through, haven't you?” Mars growled. “What you're doing doesn't make any sense! Why are you giving Cindy another chance to betray us!? How many more people are you willing to sacrifice because you don't want to admit you made a mistake!?”
 
“Raye, that's not what's going on her-“
 
“Shut up, Amy!”
 
Pluto nearly stepped forward but thought better of it when she saw a look of disapproval firmly placed on Jupiter's face. Perhaps she wouldn't need to get herself involved - besides, it was important that the girls take care of these issues on their own, rather than relying on her.
 
“That's enough, Raye!” The brunette bellowed as she strode toward Mars and spun the priestess around to face her. “Okay, it's terrible you lost your grandfather, but you've got to settle down.”
 
Mars narrowed her eyes and scowled. “This isn't about him. How dare you think I would let something like that affect me! You have no idea what I'm-“
 
Jupiter's expression darkened considerably and clenched her fists. “Don't finish that sentence, Raye.”
 
The admonishment wiped the scowl off Mars' face. Her eyes widened in surprise as if she'd just been slapped. Slowly, Mars' angry façade retreated back to neutrality, though a fire still flickered behind her dark violet gaze.
 
Instantly, Venus had materialized between the girls and cheerfully wrapped her arms around their shoulders, oblivious to their smoldering glares. “That's enough of that! I think it's time we bury the shovel and rescue Reenie!”
 
Both Mercury and Endymion let out a soft sigh, while Uranus grunted loudly. Pluto was just glad Venus found an effective way to defuse the situation.
 
Wearily, Serenity raised those blue eyes to Pluto and spoke louder, though with little energy. “I'll be willing to compromise, Pluto. If I cannot sway Cindy and she refuses to hand over Reenie, I will let you do what you must in order to save her.”
 
Her Queen didn't need to say anything more. If getting Small Lady back meant resorting to violence then she wouldn't hesitate.
 
“As you wish my Queen.” Pluto bowed her head and then called to the rest of the girls. “The Queen, Uranus, Neptune, and I will go into the warehouse while we negotiate with the Travellers. Everyone else will fan out and quickly patrol the area for any signs of intruders before positioning yourselves around the warehouse. I caution all of you to be careful and stay on your guard.”
 
The girls nodded their heads in unison, and shot off into the darkness. Satisfied, Pluto turned to gather her Queen and two of her guards when she heard a soft gasp.
 
“Vicky?” Worried, Neptune rushed to the spooked small girl. “What's wrong?”
 
The hallowed expression on Victoria's face made Pluto's blood freeze as the pale girl spoke. “I'm being called. Someone is calling for me.”
 
“Vicky,” Neptune knelt next to the child, her soothing voice laced with panic. “Who's calling you?”
 
Victoria's eyes roamed the darkness, searching for the voice whispering in her ears. “A tormented soul is calling for the silence.”
 
Looking up to the surrounding girls, Victoria clutched her glaive close to her chest. “We must hurry! I fear we will be too late to save Reenie!”
 
Neptune brushed aside some of her wavy green hair and cast a look up at Pluto. The Time Guardian nodded and tapped her staff on the concrete, calling everyone to order. They'd wasted enough time here.
 
“Quickly, everyone.” Pluto called, lifting her staff. “Gather around me. We must make haste!”
 
The Garnet Orb attached to the top of Pluto's staff began to glow and a renewed sense of purpose and duty roused in the woman. Once again she felt like a Time Guardian. She would go to the warehouse, retrieve Small Lady, defeat the Travellers, and restore the timeline.
 
`After all, that's what a Time Guardian does.' She thought as the crimson light of the Garnet Orb absorbed them. `And that's who I am.'
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 
The air that caressed Halebit's skin was stale, salty. The chorus of Nihil's loud chuckling had died down to a faint murmur, with the distant sound of rolling tides crashing against the docks. The momentary interlude gave Halebit time to collect his thoughts and prepare.
 
He'd just raided the last of his emergency supply of red crystals, leaving the office torn asunder in his desperate search.
 
Perhaps he'd been being too hasty. The clock started to run the moment he'd consumed that red powder, and the window to use his powers was shrinking. Halebit took in a calming breath. No, he hadn't been hasty. If Serenity wanted to see her daughter alive, she would be here soon. He had no reason to be concerned, he concluded.
 
With that resolved, Halebit reviewed his plans once more. Once Serenity traded her daughter for the Silver Crystal, he would create the portal, and then he'd finally have his precious red crystals. Of course, out of everything he was doing, this was the biggest risk that gave him any real concern.
 
After obtaining the location of the red crystals from the old Nomad, Halebit realized the dimension, to his great displeasure, was in a rather remote time stream and there was little hope he'd reach that dimension before his supplies ran out.
 
But he wasn't going to be denied. There had to be another way.
 
Halebit had read voraciously and discovered an interesting theory. It had been postulated by other Travellers that a machine or conduit could amplify and channel their energy to create a portal that would allow a Traveller - and anyone else, for that matter - to cross into another dimension. Usually a Traveller would have to `phase' in and out from one dimension to another which was both time consuming and draining. The only downside to portals was the astronomical amount of electrical power required to create one.
 
One of the most prominent researchers had been Cindy's father. In his papers, Cindy's father chronicled case after case of attempts to create portals with all kinds of conduits. Unfortunately, those Travellers had underestimated the energy required and the resulting backlash had been... quite unpleasant, to say the least.
 
Halebit hoped Cindy's father would be able to assist him in creating him such a machine. However, he hadn't counted on the Timelords beating him to the punch, killing the Community's best scientific mind. Thus he had been left down to his daughter.
 
To his great disappointment, the girl didn't inherit any of her father's genius. Forced to rely on the few specifications he had obtained, it was obvious to Halebit the exercise was futile. The machine they created was a ticking time bomb. To complicate matters, his supply of red crystal was dwindling and he still had no way of getting more.
 
Ironically, it had been Cindy who inspired him to a solution, albeit indirectly. During one of Cindy's `performances' he noticed a silvery object dangling between the valley of her breasts. It was a necklace that the Children of Serenity order wore, a religion that filled the youth of the Community with silly promises of salvation and peace.
 
What mindless sheep, they'd be better off as foot soldiers; at least then they'd be useful as cannon fodder! But as he gazed at the small figurine of Serenity holding her Silver Crystal, it occurred to Halebit that the crystal acted much like a conduit, and it stood to reason that in the hands of a Traveller it would be able to easily create a portal.
 
Why rely on a machine when nature provided adequate resources?
 
So he put together a plan. The deathly contraption earned a new use as a ruse. He'd purposely `leaked' information to the Counsule that he'd developed some kind of war machine. The bait worked like a charm.
 
Halebit felt a little pride as he activated the machine, watching it heat up and vibrate dangerously in the basement of his `hideout', while a majority of the Counsule's Timelords battled above. Oh sure, he'd been forced to sacrifice a few of his own soldiers in the process, but then again most of them were soldiers he'd planned on weeding out eventually.
 
There was some elegance in using trash efficiently.
 
From there, it was only a matter of using Cindy's reverence of Serenity to soften the naïve goddess, giving him the opportunity to collect his bargaining chip, Serenity's daughter.
 
The whole operation had gone more smoothly than he had anticipated. He'd thought that their `Time Guardian' would have figured out his strategy by now. Such a pity, too - he had looked forward to matching wits with her.
 
Now he waited. He had been listening carefully for the small signs of Serenity's arrival; light footsteps on the roof, or the loud metallic moaning of a door, or voices from the front. He had chosen this place for a reason; every little sound was amplified and drifted back to this office. He'd spent his time categorizing every sound and attuning his ears so that there wasn't a noise he didn't recognize. There was no way Serenity and her soldiers would take him by surprise.
 
Finally, he heard the soft whimper of a rusted window hinge being pulled open.
 
`Ah, so Serenity has arrived. I wonder which one she's sent to destroy me.' The old man pondered as he tensed his fists.
 
Without warning, the rusty hinges moaned loudly, echoing throughout the warehouse. Halebit clenched his teeth; no doubt that Cindy had heard it as well.
 
Apparently, defeating several powerful beings from all corners of their universe hadn't taught them much about the art of war. `Such amateurs. They think they can sneak up on me by making that much noise?'
 
Listening carefully, Halebit heard heavy footsteps move purposefully and slowly down the one of the few hallways. That was strange, he thought, the hallway went right by the platform where Cindy and Serenity's daughter were in plain sight. This assailant had ignored them, continuing down the hallway. No guardian of Serenity would pass up an opportunity to make sure that their queen's daughter was safe. Then he'd heard the door to the office creak, and heavy breathing now accompanied the heavy footsteps coming his way. No, this person wasn't looking for the Serenity's daughter, and it stood to reason that this wasn't one of Serenity's guards.
 
“Tracer.” The old man hissed as he exhaled one of his meditative breaths. He didn't need to see the gun to know it was pointed at his temple, he could feel the coldness of the metal barrel leaching the heat away from his skin.
 
“Old man,” the Timelord replied, his voice thick with anticipation.
 
“You insolent child.” Halebit's calm words chilled on his lips. “So, you're willing to squander your second chance at life? I would say I'm surprised, but when dealing with such a simpleton so compelled to throw his life away, who am I to refuse?”
 
The boy growled. Halebit smirked. He was such a predictable child. “Shut your fucking mouth, ya old bastard! I came back here to pay you back for everything you've done to me!”
 
Amused, Halebit raised an eyebrow, though he kept his tone icy. “Done to you? All I did was train you and it's obvious I did not do a very good job, I'm ashamed to admit. You're still wild, undisciplined, and disrespectful. You were the worst soldier I ever had the displeasure of teaching. I'd have an easier time domesticating a dog.”
 
Tracer's breathing became ragged, and judging by the wavering coolness of the barrel, his hands were shaking. “Then why the hell did you take me under your wing? Why did you bother training me?”
 
Halebit sat silently, reaching out with his mind and curling his hands. In a flash, he opened his eyes and his hands snapped shut.
 
Instantly the barrel of the gun collapsed. Halebit filled with nostalgic glee as he witnessed Tracer's initial reaction, a combination of shock, anger, and panic. Ah, did that ever bring back memories. Not wanting to linger, Halebit thrust his other glowing palm out, paralyzing the boy with his invisible grip.
 
“Because,” Halebit stared intently at his victim, his tone stern and malicious, “I wanted to relish in your failure. I wanted to see the son of the Great General flail about like an idiot as he struggled to make it through my training only to fall short. Then, I could prove, once and for all, my superiority over Trekker by showing the Community how much of a miserable waste of flesh he'd sired.”
 
Halebit watched, entertained, as the Timelord struggled fruitlessly to free himself from his telekinetic vise. The fiery defiant glint in the boy's eyes, on the other hand, was beginning to annoy him.
 
`Good luck with that, boy.' Halebit chuckled softly as he tightened his fist, which in turn tightened the grip around the Timelord. He was going to enjoy turning this delinquent into paste.
 
Yet, he'd toyed with the child long enough, he felt; Serenity would be here any moment. `Good bye, unruly beast.'
 
Halebit strained his fingers, attempting to curl them closed. He did not want to encounter any of the boy's needless reistanct. But in spite of his efforts, his fingernails could graze the skin of his palm: stopped by an unforeseen opposition. A frown wrinkled the old man's taut leathery skin, and he tried again only to encounter more of the same.
 
Irate, Halebit made a quick sweep of the Timelord and instantly his sights honed in on the iridescent blade hanging from his hip.
 
`That damn sword.' Halebit thought bitterly. `Why must that artifact of his father's always haunt me?!'
 
`I bet Trekker must be laughing at you from beyond the grave, Hally, me boy.' The sound of Nihil's voice nearly caused the old man to gag on his breath.
 
`Wha-what? How is this possible?' The panic hit Halebit with such ferocity, his spine involuntarily relinquished a shiver.
 
`Isn't it obvious? You're no longer in control.' Nihil's voice grew louder, giving it greater gravity.
 
His forehead felt warm and the telltale signs of perspiration were forming. With his free hand, he wiped away the salty liquid beads, staring at them, mortified.
 
Of course, he'd been focusing too much of his precious energy on this piece of trash.
 
'Heh. You thought you were so clever with your plan to con the Silver Crystal from *the* Serenity. You are such a fool, Halebit.' Nihil's warm breath tickled his ear. `You will be nothing but dust when she's done with you.'
 
Ignoring Nihil strained Halebit's nerves, yet through the fog of distractions, the annoying apparition gave him the moment of clarity he needed. `I believe the contrary.'
 
`What?'
 
Halebit smirked, caring little whether his former pupil could see. It didn't matter anyway; he was going to be dead in a few minutes. `Perhaps, I should delegate tasks in order to conserve my energy.'
 
`Hmph.' Halebit's chest swelled with pride and his anger ebbed; it wasn't often that Nihil sounded so annoyed. `You're still careening out of control.'
 
Through the diminishing red veil of rage Halebit became dimly aware that his prisoner had nearly freed one of his arms and appeared to be reaching for his sword.
 
Snapping out of his trance, Halebit locked eyes with Tracer for a moment, neither moved; tension filling the air between them. As Halebit stared at those dark intense eyes, once again, he realized he wasn't dealing some ordinary man.
 
Ordinary men, when they've been beaten down enough, break or conform but not Tracer. Repeatedly, Halebit had berated, humiliated, defeated, and belittled him his entire life, but he wouldn't be broken. Even now in a situation this dire, Tracer stared at him with that single-minded promise of destruction blazing in his eyes. Tracer's sole concern was killing him. Everything else was secondary, including his life.
 
No. This was no man. He was dealing with a beast or a demon, an agent of Chaos.
 
Finally, the boy began to shiver. From what, Halebit wasn't certain, but his loosely hanging hair dangled back and forth across his nose like a greasy black curtain.
 
“You're so fucking dead, old man.”
 
`See you are weak, Hally.' Nihil chuckled. That chuckle always raised his hackles in ways that demented voice knew all too well. `You've given Tracer hope! Another chance to kill you! Oh, he is so precocious! This is precious! Hahahaha!'
 
“Believe what you like,” Halebit croaked, then licked his dried lips. “BUT I AM THE ONE IN CONTROL HERE!”
 
With a mighty roar, the old man flung his glowing hands forward, sending the soldier barreling through the flimsy walls of the office and out of his sight.
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
 
There was no redemption for her. Cindy had agonized enough about it, and all she could do was await the punishment she had coming to her. One simply did not betray Serenity and expect salvation.
 
If any of the Scouts, especially the Queen, comes to harm because of the Timelords, you will be held responsible. I will personally ensure your reciprocation is swift.”
 
The blonde woman shivered at Pluto's words. She anxiously kicked her legs as they dangled from the ledge of the platform letting her heels click against the concrete below. Neither of them made a sound. Occasionally, Reenie's cage would rattle when she repositioned herself. Cindy wanted to apologize in the worst way, but she stared ahead despondently. She didn't dare raise her voice unless she wanted to call Halebit's attention back to her. And the last thing she wanted was to be the focus of the creepy lecher.
 
*Creeek!*
 
Cindy instinctively clutched her ruby bracelet and twisted her body toward the sound. All the while, she surveyed the area around her, briefly catching Reenie's wide eyes.
 
`This is it.' The blonde Traveller thought as she carefully crawled to her feet.
 
She waited for a moment before a bright flash blinked behind her. Already tense, Cindy twirled, knees bent, ready to …
 
Well, she quite honestly didn't know what she was going to do. Hell, she didn't know what she *should* do. She was no match for them and had no desire at all to fight them. They were her childhood heroines, for Serenity's sake!
 
As the light faded, she could make out four figures. When she saw the silhouette of the Time Key and Silence Glaive, a large lump formed in Cindy's throat. She glanced at the cage holding the child and then back at the procession, now walking towards her.
 
No, it was much too late to apologize now. What she had done was unforgivable.
 
Eventually, Sailor Moon was immersed in the red glow that bathed the interior of the empty warehouse. Cindy's sights drifted to the sparkling Silver Crystal adorning her brooch. It flickered with a warm, nearly metallic aura. Once they got a few feet away, the procession stopped and all parties examined both her and the girl in the cage next to her. Cindy studied their reactions and grew anxious at their open hostility.
 
"Sailor Moon?" A slight rattle rang in tune with Reenie's soft voice.
 
Cindy closed her eyes and released a sigh. She hoped they would end her life swiftly.
 
"Don't worry, Reenie." Serena sounded nervous? Shouldn't she be outraged? "Everything's going to be okay. Right now, I have to talk to Cindy, alright?"
 
"Yea-yeah." Reenie stuttered apparently feeling just as confused as Cindy.
 
"Okay," Serena took a deep breath. "Cindy, listen to me. You don't have to do this."
 
"This isn't what I had planned!" Cindy cringed as the words escaped her lips. She must have sounded awfully pitiful. "W-what I mean is, I never meant for this to happen. I know I shouldn't have done this, but you have no idea what that old man put me through. When he gave me the opportunity to meet you, I had to take it. I didn't mean to deceive you. I just wanted a way out. "
 
Quickly, Cindy lowered her head and squeezed her eyes shut. `There. I've done it. Everything is out in the open. Whether or not she believes me it doesn't matter. I've atoned for my sins. I can now die in peace.'
 
To Cindy's surprise, she heard Serena sigh and step closer. As she spoke, Cindy found the warmth in her voice very soothing. "I understand, Cindy. Please, just let go of Reenie and we can fight this battle together."
 
"No!" Cindy snapped and then immediately she looked away, embarrassed by her outburst. "I can't… I'm ... I'm unforgivable."
 
“Cindy.” Serena's voice was clear and gentle, yet it demanded Cindy's attention. "I forgive you."
 
“You forgive?” The proclamation left her awestruck and a little overwhelmed. “You forgive me? For what I've done? But what I had done was-“
 
“You did what you felt you needed to do.” Serena interrupted, but her expression remained warm. “We know what's going on. But now, you need to do the right thing, let's get Reenie out of the cage.”
 
"Yes." The blonde Traveller stood straighter, as if she had flung off the weight of guilt from her shoulders. With renewed determination, Cindy gingerly walked toward the cage. "It's the right thing to do."
 
She fiddled with the lock feverishly, her confidence soaring. She and the Sailor Senshi were going to take on Halebit. She'd been praying and wishing and waiting for this day for a long time.
 
As she fumbled with the cage, Cindy caught Reenie smiling at her. And she smiled back filled with elation. It felt like an eternity, but eventually the door to the cage opened up and the child jumped into her arms.
 
“I knew you weren't bad, Cindy.” The child whispered into her ear.
 
“Thanks.” Cindy whispered back, returning her hug.
 
Suddenly, a loud crash broke the silence as a figure smashed through the rear wall, slamming into the concrete floor between Sailor Moon and the platform. In an instant, the warehouse was a flurry of chaos as Sailor Scouts flew in from every available window. Cindy instinctively wrapped herself around the child. For a moment they all paused.
 
Then the figure stirred and groaned.
 
Cindy protectively pushed Reenie behind her. Sailor Saturn and Pluto had their weapons ready as the other Sailor soldiers gathered around Sailor Moon in various fighting stances.
 
Then Cindy saw it. As the figure rose, she could percieve the telltale greasy black mop hanging over the stranger's face. The man groaned once again, stumbling about a little disoriented, before finally flipping the thick dark locks away, his eyes darting one way and then another. Finally, they settled on her.
 
Immediately, her breath hitched and her heart pounded in her chest. It was him. It was the murderer. It was-
 
“YOU!” Both Travellers shouted, simultaneously pointing at each other.
 
Without hesitation, Cindy yanked her bracelet from her wrist, snapping it rigid. The individual diamond-shaped ringlets expanded, sliding together harmoniously to form a flat blade. Leaping from the platform, she threw both of her arms behind her head and gripped the newly assembled sword in her hands. She had envisioned this moment every time she trained with her sword, his smirking face there for her to strike, slice, hack, and-
 
*TING!*
 
Cindy stood in shock. The asshole had caught her blade with his claw! She caught the smirk on his face and her anger flared.
 
“Damn you!”
 
Tracer sneered in reply. Tightening his hold on the blade, he kicked her full force into the protruding ledge of the platform. Falling to her knees, Cindy tried to shake the lights from her eyes as well as fight the urge to vomit. Her lower back ached and her abdomen throbbed painfully.
 
However, she was determined she was going to win this fight. He wasn't going to get away with killing her family. But before she could muster enough energy to make another charge, she realized to her horror that she didn't have her sword.
 
In her field of vision, she caught sight of it, embed itself next to the Timelord's feet, which were stepping towards her.
 
“No!” She heard Serena scream, but she heard nothing more. Why weren't they coming to her aid?
 
As the Timelord stepped closer, a heavy coldness settled deep down inside her. Were they abandoning her? Were they going to stand by and watch as this monster tore her apart? If she was doomed, then she wasn't going out on her knees.
 
"You Counsule lapdog!" Cindy jeered, spitting the taste of blood and saliva from her mouth. "The Counsule has to send you to finish the job, huh? Or you're not satisfied just killing them, are you?!"
 
Suddenly, Tracer pounced upon her and gripped her tightly around the throat. She tried to put on a brave face as she raised her head. His shiny, silvery claw recoiled, was posed to strike, while his face was ferocious and his eyes wild and predatory.
 
"What the hell are you talkin' about, you Society bastard?"
 
"You-" Cindy's attempts to quell her quivering were to no avail. She was going to die wasn't she? She shouldn't be scared. She'd be with her family shortly. She had to be strong for them. "You killed them. Sam, Mom, and Dad.”
 
Saying their names left a bitter taste in her mouth. "You killed my family."
 
The ferocity drained away and the man lowered his claw. "What?"
 
As he loosened his hold, Cindy noticed a smooth wooden hilt hanging from his hip, just within her reach. Taking advantage of the momentary distraction, Cindy grabbed the weapon.
 
Instantly, her breath was taken away. A sudden rush of… something washed over her. She felt more alive, more confident, and more… powerful. Exhilarating didn't begin to describe what was happening to her. She took in her surroundings in a new light. She could not only see Serenity, but she could sense her too. It was strange; she could sense everyone in the room, even Tracer. Not only that, but it seemed like time had stood still. No one appeared to be moving - well, they didn't appear to be moving very fast, if they were moving at all.
 
`A Child of Serenity?' A hallow whisper spoke in the distance.
 
`Huh?' Cindy couldn't see anyone. Where was the voice coming from? `Who are you?'
 
`Are you a Child of Serenity?' The voice asked again.
 
Cindy could feel her necklace almost burn against her skin. How did it know she was a part of the Children of Serenity order? `Uh, yes. Yes, I am.'
 
`Good.' The voice sounded pleased at this. `Use my power.'
 
`W-what power?'
 
`Use my power.' The voice urged.
 
`I don't understand.'
 
`Use my power.' It repeated, a little more urgently.
 
`Please.' Cindy's head began to ache. `What are you talking about?'
 
`Use my power!' This time the voice was drumming about inside of her mind.
 
The pain grew worse as the voice repeated over and again demanding that she use its `power', whatever power it was. She looked at Tracer's face and realized she was still in his grip.
 
This was his doing, wasn't it? He must have put some kind of spell on his sword to keep other people from weilding it. She sneered as she gripped the handle of the hilt, determined to use it.
 
Jerking the sword from Tracer's side, she heaved the weapon into the Timelord's stomach and sawed upwards into his chest. Years of seething anger erupted with that stroke, leaving their bloody trademark evident all over her hands and face. Cindy kept her eyes fixed on the stunned expression frozen on the beast's face. A tingle went up her spine. It was over. It was finally over!
 
Her satisfaction was short-lived, however, as the voice abruptly boomed. `USE MY POWER!'
 
The voice was now stabbing into her brain and the room had begun to spin. She was losing control, and she had only one option left to her. She had to give in.
 
Slowly her mind faded into dissipation, while through her lips, she bellowed the most horrific scream.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --
 
“No!” Serena shouted the savage display was too much for her. She lunged forward, only to have the Time Staff block her path. The red of the Garnet Orb stared her in the face.
 
Serena twisted her head toward the Time Guardian, and whispered hoarsely. "Why?"
 
Sailor Pluto stood motionless, looking straight ahead at the fighting combatants. "It's time to make good on our agreement. I'm doing what I must.'"
 
Serena's face soured. “You can't be serious, Pluto! You saw for yourself she was going to give Reenie over to us.” The Time Guardian remained silent. “We were going to help each other Pluto! She's our ally! We can't stand here and watch her get slaughtered!”
 
“Yeah, Pluto, what gives?” Lita asked indignantly over Serena's shoulder.
 
Just then, Serena could hear Amy furiously tapping on her compact computer. “Uh, guys-“
 
“This is of no concern to you, Jupiter.” Serena winced; Pluto must be stressed to lash out like this. “This is an agreement made between the Queen and myself. No one else.”
 
“We're just doing our job, Pluto.” Venus offered, suddenly standing between Pluto and Lita.
 
“Guys-“
 
“Your job is to protect the Queen here and my job is to protect the timeline that sustains the Queen. This is my job. This is my duty!”
 
“Guys!”
 
“Oh my God!” At Raye's exclamation, Serena returned her attention to the battle between the Travellers and gasped.
 
A bloody blade jutted from the back of the Timelord, and it appeared to be making a jagged journey upward. But most distressing was that the part of the silvery blade that could be seen, glowing with a furious light.
 
“Reenie!” In a heartbeat, Darien, Erica, and Michelle leapt towards the platform.
 
Things had definitely spiraled out of control. Serena held her hand to her mouth, dismayed and horrified by the scene unfolding in front of her. As she did so, her brooch nearly blinded her.
 
`What's going on?' Serena felt a mixture of fright and awe at the spectacle.
 
“I don't believe this.” The blonde turned to Amy who now was staring awestruck at the translucent computer relay framing her eyes like goggles.
 
To see Amy this fascinated by her computer in the heat of a fight made Serena very wary. “What is it, Amy?”
 
“This is telling me-“
 
It was a blood-curdling scream that hindered Amy's words, echoing off the furthest walls of the warehouse, even as a flash of light similar to the strike of lightning blinded everyone. Serena and the Sailor Scouts around her barely stayed on their feet while the ground shook, waves of energy striking them, left and right.
 
From the flash, Serena saw Tracer fly through the air like he'd been launched from a cannon, his sword still protruding from his chest. She followed his trajectory until his body disappeared into one of the dark corners of the warehouse landing with a painfully loud thud.
 
As the dark splotches drew away from her view, Serena gasped when she noticed Cindy's slumped form in front of the platform. A reflective pool of blood surrounded her and coated her hands and chest. Her blond hair, now undone from the fight, hung forward over her face, shaking as she visibly sobbed into the crimson pool. In the red light's glow, her pale skin reminded Serena of a cursed spirit kneeling at a dark lake.
 
“Cindy.” Serena murmured, rushing forward to embrace the shaken woman.
 
"My, my, what a performance, Xendyte." Serena stopped mid-step. Her body numbed like she'd been dumped in a vat of icy water when she heard the harsh and dispassionate voice. Nervous, she peered toward the platform where she saw an old man clapping. If not for his moving hands, she would have thought the wrinkles and small self-satisfied sneer on his face were carved onto a piece of stone.
 
The sneer grew like a crack across that stony foundation. "I am curious, what are you going to do for the next act?"
 
Serena`s heart leapt into her throat as she watched Reenie standing rigidly beside him as if something inhibited her movement. A ghost of a smile crossed the old man's hard, well-defined features reflecting the red light. "And I must thank you for all your efforts to help me retrieve the Silver Crystal. I am indebted to you, my faithful servant."
 
Cindy only swayed and sobbed some more not even turning toward the old man. At this, Serena balled her fist and straightened her back. She wasn't going to let this old man do this to her.
 
“Leave her alone, Halebit!”
 
As if he had just registered her presence, the old man addressed her with an air of disinterest.
 
"Ah, yes, the great Queen Serenity. I see my soldier has made mention of me.” He said coolly. “But I am in no mood to make niceties. I humbly request that you hand over the possession of the Silver Crystal to me,” Halebit rested one of his hands upon the child's shoulder, “so that I may guarantee her safety."
 
Serena could feel the rest of her group tense, but Pluto stepped forward before any of them could take action. "I believe you are not in a position to make demands, Traveller. Killing Small Lady will only expedite your death."
 
Halebit chuckled dryly, but kept the same emotionless expression. To Serena he looked like a freaky ventriloquist dummy, which she found eerie and terrifying. "Go ahead, but let me ask you all this: which one of you wants to carry the guilt of this child's death on their shoulders? Who wants to be the one who must witness the birth of the child they killed? For you see, Time Guardian, I might be dead, but I will be happy knowing that one of you will live miserably with the guilt of killing this daughter of your future."
 
“Don't you dare!” From below, Cindy lunged at Halebit, ruby sword in hand.
 
Immediately, Halebit threw out his hand, stopping the sharp blade mere inches from his face; suspending the girl in midair.
 
A vicious grunt escaped her throat as Cindy glared at Halebit; death in her eyes. "You son of a bit-"
 
Without a word, Halebit waved his hand, sending the blonde woman tumbling end over end until she slid to a stop at Serena's feet. Easily recomposed, Halebit returned his attention to Serena as if he'd just batted away a fly.
 
"What is it going to be Princess?" The old man sounded rather edgy.
 
Serena gazed at the brooch that held the Silver Crystal, the source of all her power. Should she give him the crystal? There had to be another way, but what was it?
 
Serena sweated and a panic she hadn't felt since those first awkward fights as Sailor Moon gripped her. She had to get Reenie back, but she could see two choices, peacefully or by force. Grudgingly, she realized her thoughts were only trivial. She knew what she had to do.
 
As she took a step forward, Pluto grabbed her by the shoulder. “Do not do this, my Queen. We cannot give up the Silver Crystal to that Traveller. There's no telling what he'll do with it.”
 
Serena remained facing the platform, but sighed. “What about Reenie?”
 
At that Pluto didn't reply and Serena could feel her hand tense before slowly sliding away. With her heart drumming and her fingers twitching, Serena approached the platform like she was walking to her own execution. To keep her nerves, she never left her eyes waver from Reenie.
 
Once she reached the ledge, she hesitated running her fingers over the Silver Crystal. Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes and tugged on the stone, shivering when her garments loosened and the ribbons that formed it unwrapped from her body. As she tugged harder, she could see the red ribbons slip back into the shimmering crystal. She cradled it in the palm of her small hand, once again standing in the white dress that she had worn to the restaurant.
 
Gathering her nerves, she fixed the old man with a hard gaze and offered her crystal. “Here.”
 
With a keen nod, Halebit carefully leaned over and plucked the object from Serena's hand. “You are indeed as wise as the legends make you.”
 
“What about Ree-“ Before Serena could finish her sentence, Halebit had pushed on the child's shoulder, sending her head first into Serena's chest.
 
Despite having the air knocked out of her, Serena reflectively wrapped her arms around Reenie and rolled with the child's momentum.
 
“Ompf!” Both girls grunted as they landed hard against the cold ground.
 
“Serena! Reenie!” Instantly her friends surrounded her and they looked eager to strike back.
 
“I'm fine.” She waved her hand dismissively at them before peering down at Reenie. “Are you okay?”
 
The pink haired child pondered a moment, and then nodded wearily.
 
“World Shaking!” Just behind the wall of worried faces of Raye, Amy, Lita, and Mina, Serena heard Erica retaliate, the sound of concrete uprooting from the fury of her attack.
 
Then she heard nothing except Erica's curse. “Shit!”
 
Lifting herself, mindful of Reenie, Serena peered over the heads of her friends to see the brilliant light of the Silver Crystal as Halebit held it over his head. Serena decided, right then and there, that the crooked and gnarled smile upon the leathery surface of the old man's face was one of the most unsettling things she'd ever witnessed.
 
“Deep Submerge!” This time Serena could witness the attack, and gasped as the ball of water Michelle had hurdled at Halebit harmlessly crashed against an invisible barrier.
 
“The Traveller must be stopped at all costs!” Pluto barked while swinging her staff around, the end gathering a large collection of sand. “Dead Scream!”
 
Again nothing happened.
 
A groan caught Serena's attention and she noticed a weak and despondent Cindy kneeling next to her and Reenie. Finally coming to her senses, Cindy threw herself at Serena. “I'm so sorry!”
 
“That's okay Cindy.” Serena watched the glow of her crystal with dread when a sudden thought occurred to her. “Do you have any idea what's going on? Did he ever tell you what he wanted with the Silver Crystal?”
 
Cindy, now fixated like Serena on the glowing crystal, shook her head and gulped. “I-I don't know. He never told me what he wanted it for.”
 
Serena swallowed hard while the light continuing to intensify. “I was afraid of that.”
 
--------------------------------------------
 
“Fuck!” Tracer gasped as the burning in his chest became more intense.
 
The Timelord gritted his teeth as he re-gripped the hilt protruding from his chest. The pain was excruciating however he didn't give a damn, as long as he could still move he wasn't ever going to give up. He didn't know how that bitch was able to throw him across the warehouse, but if she thought he'd go easier on her yet again, she was in for a surprise.
 
“Graargh!” He screamed pulling the sword from his gaping wound. Immediately he could feel his blood oozing out of the open skin at an alarming rate. He tried holding his hand over it in hopes of suppressing the flow of the silver laced crimson fluid. However, it became apparent it was a futile exercise, especially when he felt the lesion on his back spurting even more of his blood onto the ground.
 
`I'm not going to let it end like this!' Despite the pain, the dizziness, and the coldness edging into his limbs, a pressure built behind his eyes and spread throughout his head. His body began to quiver and convulse. `I will make them all pay! They will all pay!!'
 
Quickly Tracer jumped to his feet, oblivious to the fountain of blood streaming from his chest, cascading down his pants, and finally splattering onto the concrete floor. He tightened his hold on the hilt of his sword and sneered. Though the coldness continued to spread, his limbs tingled with excitement.
 
Yes, he was going to make them pay, he determined. He was going to destroy them all.
 
In the back of his mind, Tracer knew his world should be spinning around him and that he should be wobbly on his feet. Hell, it was a miracle he was able to walk in a straight line, much less gain speed. Nonetheless, that was what was happening and he didn't care. Like a man possessed, he ran towards them, keying in on the brilliant light that was threatening to swallow the surrounding darkness. Instinctively, he knew that hiding behind that bright light was the old man.
 
`I will show you I am not a failure, you bastard.' His sneer deepened. `I'll defeat you in front of Serenity and Cindy. Once they see my prowess, they'll tremble with fear and beg me for mercy! Then we'll see who the failure is then!'
 
His body felt so cold yet so hot, Tracer was thrilled. The power to feel two completely different sensations at once was astounding. He allowed himself to get lost in the phenomenon and let it wash over him. Spurned on by the delicious high, he ran even faster and faster. He ran so fast he swore he was floating on air.
 
When he saw Serenity's group huddled together in front of his old teacher, Tracer smirked. He secured his sword with both hands; ready to strike with all the force he could muster. Merrily, he imagined the destruction that was about to take place.
 
He hardly registered how brightly it was glowing as he raised it over his head.
 
--------------------------------------------
 
“This is bad!” Serena flinched when she whipped around towards Amy. It was never a good thing when she said that.
 
“What is it?”
 
Amy was once again furiously typing away on the translucent keypad and her eyes were moving back and forth, reading her display like the roving eyes of the cat clock mounted on the wall of her bedroom.
 
“It appears Halebit is distorting the physical space around his hands.” Amy shook her head, somewhat confused. “If I were to postulate, it looks like he's using the Silver Crystal as a type of hot cutting apparatus.”
 
“Huh?” Serena blinked.
 
Suddenly Pluto hunched over and grimaced. Steadying herself with her staff, Pluto fixed Amy with a glare. “She means that Traveller is punching a hole through the timeline like a hot knife through butter, if I understand the saying correctly. Ugh!”
 
“Pluto!” Lita jumped to the Time Guardian's aid and provided her with some support. “Are you going to be okay? What's going on?”
 
“It's a portal.” Cindy said, her eyes widening in awe and fright. “I can't believe he's actually trying to make one. This is really bad.”
 
Amy ceased typing a moment. “What do you mean?”
 
Realizing she was the center of attention, Cindy squirmed a little as she explained with a sense of urgency. “Er, well, when I first joined the Society, he had asked me if I knew how to build a portal generating machine. When he found out I didn't, he went ahead and built one based on the specs my father had researched.”
 
“What happened to that machine?” Amy pursed her lips like she usually did when she worried.
 
Cindy interlaced her fingers and muttered. “It kinda blew up when he activated it.”
 
“What!?” Serena jumped at their exclamation.
 
Cindy returned her weary gaze to the increasingly intensifying glow. “I'm not sure if there's anything we can do now to stop him, it looks like he's already begun to open the portal and if we disturb the process there's no telling what catastrophe it'll trigger.”
 
A swirling wind whipped Serena's blond tails of hair, drawing her attention to the platform. A jagged burning line now appeared, tracing the downward path of Halebit's glowing hands.
 
The dismay was evident on the faces of her friends as it settled like a heavy blanket upon them. Underneath that dread, little prickles of guilt pinched Serena's self-conscious. She was center of this turbulent storm, and every effort to bring a peaceful calm to the situation only seemed to make it rage even further out of control. There was very little she could do anyway, since without the Silver Crystal she was just a plain normal school girl. Her only option was just to sit back, wait, and hope.
 
“There is a solution.” Pluto said under her breath, more to herself than anyone else. “There is always a solution. I just need to open my eyes to see it.”
 
“I'd keep our eyes behind us,” Mina replied, jumping to her feet, battle ready, and facing away from Halebit, “because we have a very angry Timelord coming right for us!”
 
“What does it take to keep this creep down!” Raye growled, bringing her hands up, already nurturing a small flame between her fingers.
 
Both Serena and Reenie twisted their heads around. The light of the Silver Crystal had grown so intense that it now illuminated the entire warehouse. The crazed expression on Tracer's blood-spattered face appeared with frightening clarity as he charged at their group at an alarming rate of speed, holding his sword with both hands over his head. Serena imagined that if he looked any madder, he'd snort dust from his nose like a rampaging bull.
 
By now, every Scout, with the exception of Reenie and herself, had positioned themselves to stop the Timelord's mad dash toward Halebit. Serena uttered a silent prayer to whatever Gods might have been listening that this would end without more death and then watched, saddened it had come to this.
 
To everyone's dismay though, just as Tracer was within range of their attacks, he leapt high into the air. Everyone stood stunned. Even Serena's jaw hung open at the height he had been able to achieve and maintain. It was impossible for anyone to jump this high, but there he was, sailing above the entire group.
 
It was only when Tracer made his descent that it became obvious how he was able to accomplish such a feat. A pair of transparent skinny strings, that reminded Serena of creepy black bony fingers, had sprouted from the shoulders of the dark man and spread out like wings.
 
Regaining her composure, Serena's heart stopped. `Why is the sword glowing? Wait, what is going to do with it?'
 
Serena shot to her feet when she realized what Tracer was going to do with his sword. He was going to strike right at the bright mass in Halebit's hands. Her dread bloomed into full blown panic. Several of the Scouts took off after him before anyone could utter any warnings or commands. Serena could only stand petrified. Her eyes followed Tracer until she was forced to shield them as he disappeared into the glare.
 
In an instant, the glare became blinding and the roar of the wind grew louder. There was a soft, vibrating sound, like the glass legs of a wind chime gently tapping against each other. The reverberations turned into a fever pitch, hurting Serena's ears. Then it came to an abrupt stop to her relief.
 
At that, the blinding glare collapsed and turned into a pitch-black void. The wind that had been swirling around them was pulling them into the dark abyss. Serena looked around frantically for something to hold onto, but the smooth floor of the warehouse offered her no anchors. She dared a glance back, realizing to her horror, her friends that had just been right there a second ago, were nowhere to be seen.
 
Her own feet had begun to slide across the glossy floor, unable to stop her momentum. Desperately, she clawed at the surface, hoping to hit a crack or seam with her fingernails to no avail. Just as she was losing hope, a strong hand snatched hers and held on for dear life. Surprised and elated, Serena whisked her head around to see Darien straining to keep his grip around his cane, which he had nailed into the ground.
 
“I've got you, Serena!” He yelled over the roar of the vortex. “I won't let go!”
 
Bringing both of her hands to hold her lover's, Serena felt Darien slip slightly. And she cringed when he slipped some more. It wasn't hard for her to figure out his hold on the cane wasn't strong enough to keep both of them from being pulled to the darkness. Still looking into his eyes, she could see his determination.
 
He didn't need to do this. She wasn't worth this kind of sacrifice. Now that she'd lost the Silver Crystal, she wasn't important any more. They'd already lost everyone else!
 
“Darien!”
 
Darien shook his head, knowing full well what she was thinking. “I'm not letting you go!”
 
“Darien, you must!”
 
The man strained and screamed in anguish. Serena closed her eyes and cried, knowing that this was probably the last time she'd ever see her lover's face. As she disentangled her fingers from his, his other hand shot out and grabbed her forearm, releasing his grip on the cane. In her tear-clouded vision, the serene smile was evident on Darien's face before he wrapped his arms around her. Burying her face in his chest, she sought to embrace him tighter. In each other's arms they both relaxed, finding mutual comfort.
 
It took Serena a moment to realize they had finally been swallowed up into the black void and were now falling.
 
And they fell. And they fell. And they fell.
 
--------------------------------------------
 
Greg hated waiting in cars. His mother had done this to him as a kid whenever she'd run into a store to `pick up a few items', as she'd say. Of course, with the ability to foresee the future, he knew there were going to be more than the few items that she'd promised.
 
To him it was agony, knowing exactly how many minutes he was going to sit there until his mom returned. He'd noticed that like his mother, other people tended to make promises they never intended to keep, and all he could do was nod, pretending he'd never closed his eyes to check.
 
Leaning his head back, Greg let loose a frustrated sigh. Unlike all those years ago, he couldn't foresee the future since the Travellers arrived (apparently there was a connection), and because of that he had no idea how long it was going to take before something would happen.
 
`I don't know why I'm so irritated. I always viewed these powers as a nuisance. All I wanted was to be normal guy for Amy-`
 
Suddenly an image of Amy's flushed and passionate face flashed in his mind. He sat up with a start and cursed his bad luck. Why did he stop when he did with her? It had been well over a week since that incident with her, and now he was just kicking himself for the missed opportunity. He knew Amy was willing, but he didn't want to ruin the moment. He didn't want to close his eyes and see the possible consequences of his actions.
 
Leaning back again, Greg stared out into the night lost in his thoughts. He'd changed, he decided. The week he'd spent tagging along with Tracer had changed him. He'd endured a great trial and had come out feeling much older and more mature.
 
The entire time he had no idea what was going to happen next, and Tracer proved to be a rogue and maverick the likes of which the world had yet to see. He saw firsthand what it was like to think on one's feet, and just how tenacious a person could be when they wanted something bad enough.
 
Yes, this was a new Greg who replaced the old, the moment the Timelord appeared in front of him in the alleyway near his home. From now on, Greg was no longer going to-
 
*CRASH!*
 
Jerking upright in the back seat, Greg watched as one of the warehouses collapsed in the distance. Without a second to lose, Greg was running towards the wreckage hoping against all hope that Amy wasn't underneath the twisted steel girders and jagged concrete.
 
“Dear God, no!” Greg cried as he pulled on one of the heavy metal beams, but it wouldn't budge. “Give, damn it! Give!”
 
“You're wasting your energy.”
 
Instantly, Greg went still. Slowly, he let go of the metal beam and swiveled to whomever it was that was talking to him.
 
When he fully turned around, he saw a man with short, stark white hair that radiated around his head like a halo. A dazzling white cloak draped over his shoulders and sparkled with fine bits of sand that dusted it. Underneath the folds of the cloak, the stranger held a bundle of cloth securely in the crook of his elbow.
 
Greg stared intently at the stranger before him, having an eerie sensation of déjà vu. Except last time he had been staring down the barrel of a gun. “Who are you?”
 
The stranger pursed his lips and turned his head, showing him a profile of his elegant and sleek face feinting interest in Greg's question. “I have a message I need you to pass along for me.”
 
“For who? Tracer?”
 
“No!” The ferocity of the stranger's reply made Greg step back. The bundle in his arms wiggled.
 
Greg's eyes widened when he heard the unmistakable gargling of a baby just waking. The stranger saw the boy's expression and glared at him as the man cooed and rocked the newborn in his arms.
 
“Is that your-“
 
“I have wasted enough time already… Greg, correct?”
 
The boy blinked, how did he know his name? “Uh, yes.”
 
The man nodded and continued rocking the increasingly agitated child. “I need you to communicate a message to Setsuna.”
 
“Who?”
 
The stranger rolled his eyes, his task with the baby quickly taking up the rest of his attention. “She will know who she is when you tell them.”
 
Greg furrowed his brow; he swore he could hear an edge of bitterness in the man's voice. He was about to ask who was this `them' he was going to relay this message to, but the stranger had already began talking again.
 
“It's Small Lady's duty to protect the future.”
 
Greg knitted his eyebrows trying to comprehend the message, but ended up thoroughly confused. Then he noticed that the man was already walking away, apparently satisfied, Greg followed. The man knew something about what happened to Amy that much he was certain. There were still many unanswered questions. Very important questions. “Wait!”
 
The man paused, looking over his shoulder, shifting his arm as the baby began to squirm.
 
“What happened to the others? Are they okay?”
 
Greg could see the man close his eyes and exhale. He stood there a moment. Finally he spoke with an even tone, his words carefully chosen. “All I can tell you is it will get worse before it gets better.”
 
-End of Part 8-
 
**End of Arc I - Serenity**
 
**Begin Arc II - Faust's Sword**
 
Author Notes:
Welp… there's the climax. At least for *this* arc. Sorry about that folks. I promise this will be worth it in the end.
 
Either way, I hoped you liked this chapter, I'm personally rather proud of it. I thought it turned out pretty well considering some of the different tangents I went on here and there. I hope the technical jargon about making portals and such didn't kill the flow of the story if it did, let me know, I'm kinda curious about that.
 
Also, I apologize about this whole arc deal. See from here the story shifts to something wholly different and I felt it would better to make a definitive break signifying it. Trust me, there's going to be several before we're through, this story is far from over. So stay tuned because this ride is going to get out of control like a katamari ball across the world!
 
Mucho thanko to Kindness of Illusion (KOI) for doing another bang up job of editing and sentence structure repair. I promise KOI I'll get you my edits on your story ASAP!
 
In addition, major props to Setsu-P for pointing out the missing commas that were plentifully missing throughout the first draft. Damn commas. And seriously check out those sketches of hers. They are more awesome since awesome came to Awesome Town! And for those of you who aren't in the know, that's pretty awesome.
 
Soundtrack:
Various scenes inspired by music.
Pluto Waits - Forever by Orbital
Raye vs. Lita - Gold Dust Woman by Hole
Inside Halebit's Mind - Gwley Mernans by Aphex Twin
Tracer vs Halebit - The Way Out is Through by NIN
Serena Negotiates - Joga by Bjork
Tracer vs Cindy - Enough by Gravity Kills
The Final Showdown - The Canyon by Phillip Glass
The Final Showdown (Remix) - I Got the Fear Pt. 5 by Meat Beat Manifesto
Passing on a Message - Recessional by Vienna Teng
 
Disclaimer:
All original characters are owned and copyrighted by Bastion (c) 2008.
Naoko Takeuchi owns Sailor Moon. The English version is owned by… I'm not even going to touch that one.
 
Bastion
Rev 02/08