Fan Fiction / Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ Spirited Hearts ❯ The Power of Love ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Kingdom Hearts or Spirited Away, so don't bother me.

Also: If you people on Mediaminer.org are wondering, the reviews stated in the previous chapters are from my account of Fanfiction.net. Just so you know.

Gomen nasi everyone!

CH. 5: The Power of Love

Kairi ran as fast as she could towards the direction of the pig- pens. Gasping for breath, she shouted, "Mom! Dad! The River God gave me something that might save you!" At this, all the pig's ears perked up and they raced for her, squealing loudly. "Wait! Which ones are you?!" She yelled, just before the pigs overwhelmed her . . .

Kairi woke gasping loudly. She wiped a hand over her brow and muttered "It was only a dream . . ." Suddenly she realized the room was empty. "Where is everybody?" she asked no one in particular. Pulling on her uniform, she ran down the stairs, where she was greeted by the sounds of hustle and bustle. People were running around holding plates of food. Just then, Yuffie appeared at the bottom of the steps.

"Hey Umi!" she shouted.

"What's going on?" Kairi asked.

"Some new guest is here," Yuffie replied, "He's really rich and is giving away lots of gold!"

"Have you seen Kama?" Asked Kairi. Yuffie frowned.

"Not THAT again!" she said. Just then, another frog-woman grabbed her arm.

"C'mon Yuffie!" Let's get some more gold!" she exclaimed.

"Umi, care to join us?" Yuffie asked Kairi. The girl in question just shook her head. Yuffie shrugged. "Ok, suit yourself." Then the two of them ran off.

Seeing as there was really nothing to do, Kairi headed back to the bedroom. As she was walking down the balcony, she looked out at the ocean and saw something moving through the azure skies.

"Kama?" She asked. She didn't know how she knew, she just did. The creature flew along, as many small white things pelted it. Kairi realized she had to do something, and fast.

"Kama! Over here!" The creature made a U- Turn, and sped towards her, and crashed into the room. Kairi struggled to pull the doors closed as the creatures smacked into it. Some of them got on her, and she had to rip them off. Kairi blinked at the white forms that plastered the glass. ~ Paper? ~ She wondered. Indeed, the ground was littered with pieces of white paper. She pushed the door open and watched as the paper figures that were whole removed themselves from the door, and flew off into the clear blue skies. With them gone, Kairi turned her attention on the creature in the room. It looked like a large gray wolf that had dragon wings and a tail like a crocodile's. On it's head were two long horns. But the creature's body was crisscrossed with cuts that had blood oozing from the wounds. There was also some blood running from the mouth. "Kama, are you okay?" she asked. The creature lifted its head and snarled at her, then slowly got up. Flapping its wings, the beast ran past her and off the balcony, flying upwards. Kairi guessed he was heading towards Maleficent's office. Kairi immediately gave chase. What she didn't realize, was that a paper figure on the floor had risen and attached itself to the back of her shirt.

*

Down below, the workers were busy preparing food for the guest. Wakka danced up and down the halls, waving two flags and singing:

"Here comes the rich man,

He isn't hard to miss,

His butt keeps getting bigger,

So there's plenty there to kiss!"

The workers bowed down, in hopes that the mysterious guest would throw some gold their way. As Wakka passed them, Riku appeared. But he was now swollen 10 times his normal size, and looked more like a huge ball of black sludge with very long arms and legs. Just then, Kairi burst from the crowd and fell in front of him.

"Hey!" shouted Wakka. "What are you doing here!" But Riku moved past him and went over to Kairi.

"Um, thank you for helping me earlier," she said, trying to be polite. Riku held out his hands, and a pile of gold appeared. "No thank you," said Kairi, "I have to go help my friend." Riku's body shuddered, and the gold fell to the floor. The workers scrambled to get the gold, and in the chaos, no one noticed Kairi had disappeared.

Wakka chased off the looting workers, then turned to Riku and said, "I'm very sorry, sir, you see, she's just a little girl, and . . . " he was cut short when Riku grabbed him by the shirt, held him in the air, and snarled,

"Wipe that smile off your face!" then he grabbed a frog-woman and threw them into his huge mouth. The other workers screamed and ran away.

*

Meanwhile, Kairi had found herself in a tricky situation. She was standing on a rooftop outside, and the only way across to a ladder was a very thin pipe. Tightening her pant legs, and wrapping her apron around her waist, Kairi took a deep breath and ran across the pipe, which buckled and broke off. Fortunately, Kairi was able to grab the ladder. As she climbed, she noticed a huge black dragon and a large raven flying towards the bathhouse. Quickly, she climbed into a window, and waited until the dragon had passe, then tried to open the window, but it was locked. Unnoticed, the paper figure slipped through the cracks, and lifted the latch, causing Kairi to fall through into what looked like a bathroom. Getting up quickly, she ran down several hallways, (accompanied by her unknown passenger) and into a large room with padded walls and floors. The walls were covered with pictures of fairy tale characters, and the ceiling had a picture of a sun on it. The room itself had large pillows and equally large stuffed animals strewn around. In the center of the room was a large bed with a canopy. Making her way towards a pair of velvet curtains, she heard Maleficent talking in the other room.

"What do you mean he's making a mess! ? Fine, I'll be down in a minute. But don't let him eat anyone else." She then heard her say, "Aw, Kama's making a mess on the carpet! Just throw him down the shaft, he'll die anyway."

Then, Maleficent turned her gaze towards the curtains. Hearing her footsteps, Kairi panicked and dove under a pile of pillows, just as Maleficent came in. Turning towards the pile of pillows, she began tearing them off, until she came across a furry black face. "Aw, you're hiding under the pillows again aren't you?" she said in an overly sweet voice. "Did I wake you? Well, I'll just turn out the lights." And with that, she kissed the figure, put the pillows over it's face, then flipped a switch that caused the sun picture on the ceiling to be replaced by a moon, and throwing the whole room into darkness. Then, she left.

(AN: Yes I know it's hard to image Maleficent being this sweet, for the sake of the fic, just imagine ok?)

As soon as she was sure Maleficent had left, Kairi tried climbing out from under the pillows, but something grabbed her by the arm, and pulled her under. Kairi realized she was face to face with what looked like a huge black dog.

"You're a germ, aren't you?" it asked her. "Mommy says germs make you sick, so I have to stay in here. But I don't like being alone. Will you stay here and play with me?"

"Let me go!" shouted Kairi, struggling to get away. "I'll play later!"

"No! I wanna play now!" the creature shouted. "Play with me, or I'll break your arm!"

As Kairi struggled, she noticed her hand had gotten blood on it from when Kama had gotten injured. Thinking quickly, she held up her hand and shouted, "I've got germs!"

There was a moment of shocked silence before the creature threw off the pillows in a panic. Kairi got out, and ran into Maleficent's office where the lanterns were pushing Kama's body into a hole. Kairi ran over to the body, shouting, "Kama! Wake up!" The lanterns jumped at her, and the raven dove down at her, as she tried to fight them off. Suddenly, there was a series of loud thumping noises. Kairi, the lanterns, and the raven watched as a furry black figure burst out of the curtains and stood on it's hind legs. She could now see that the creature looked very much like a huge black dog, with floppy ears, a round black nose, and a tan muzzle. Around it's neck was a red jewel studded collar, and there was a silver tag that had the name "Goofy" on it in gold lettering. (AN: Betcha thought I forgot about him and Donald, huh?)

"I'm not afraid of germs," he said. "If you don't play with me, I'll cry, and Momma will come in, and she'll KILL you!"

But just as he was about to start bawling, a woman's voice said, "Shut your mouth!"

They all looked to see the paper figure fly off Kairi's back, and project an image of a white-haired woman in a blue gown with a big pink bow on it. Clutched in her right hand was a long, thin wand. The dog (known as Goofy) blinked.

"Momma?" The woman looked at him surprised.

"You can't tell me from your own mother? Well, I'll fix that." And with a flick of her wand, she turned him into a tiny black puppy. "There," she said, "Now your body matches your brain." Turning towards the others, she said, "Now what else can I mess with?" The raven flew off in a hurry, and the lanterns jumped around in a panic. With a wave her wand, the woman turned the Raven into a duckling (that for some reason had white feathers), and made the lanterns jump on top of each other, and turn into a copy of Goofy. Then, she turned to Kairi, who watched the strange events quietly. (AN: And yes, I know she seems out of character, so just work with Me here.)

"Wh-who are you?" she asked the woman.

"My name is Lucinda, Maleficent's sister," she said, "And that dragon," (here she pointed to Kama), has stolen my gold ring, and I want it back."

"Kama would never steal from anybody!" Kairi protested.

"Well," said Lucinda, "Do you know why he became my sister's apprentice? So he could steal her secrets, like he did mine. But what he didn't now, was that there was a spell on the ring, and whoever steals it, will DIE!"

Suddenly, there was a thumping sound. They turned to see the fake-Goofy trying to smash Goofy and the Duckling (Whom we'll refer to as Donald), who crawled over to Kairi.

"Cut that out!" Lucinda shouted. "Do you want to bring my sister up here?" Suddenly, Kama lashed out, and using his tail, smashed the paper figure on the floor. "Oh, dear . . ." was all Lucinda said as she vanished. Kama began thrashing around, and ended up falling into the shaft. Kairi grabbed on to him, as well as Donald and Goofy, as they fell down into the darkness.

For a second, Kairi felt a breeze blow past her, but that feeling vanished as they fell into the boiler room. Kama fell splayed against the walls, hissing.

"Kama! What's wrong?"

Cloud walked up to her, looking worried. From the holes in the walls, scores of Shadows came out to see what was going on.

"It seems like there's something inside him that's making him bleed from the inside," he said gravely. Kairi just stared for a moment, then remembered something.

"Hey! I almost forgot!" She said, pulling the moss ball out of her pocket. "The River God gave me this." Cloud stared.

"Medicine from the River God . . ." he mused silently.

Kairi bit off a piece of the ball, chewed it up, then took it out and stuck it in Kama's mouth, forcing his mouth shut. "Now swallow, she told him. The dragon did so . . . then began to thrash about wildly. Then, he spat up a black blob. As Kairi, Cloud, Goofy, Donald, and the Shadows watched, the sludge melted away, and all that was left, was a golden ring with a colorful gem that no man had seen before, and a black slug, which immediately crawled off.

"Get that slug! Get it get it get it!" shouted Cloud. Kairi raced after the blob, which crawled all around the sunken floor. It tried to escape into the holes in the walls, but it was blocked by the Shadows, so it headed towards Kairi . . . who accidentally stepped on it. She froze at the feeling of the sludge between her toes.

"You squashed it!" exclaimed Cloud.

"What should I do?" The girl panicked.

"Quick, put your pointer fingers and thumb together. Hurry! Before it rubs off on you!" Cloud shouted. Kairi did so, and Cloud sliced his hand between them, saying, "Devil Begone!" (AN: I don't remember exactly how it goes, so don't bother me about this.)

Suddenly, they saw the dragon turn back into Kama. Kairi rushed to his side, shouting, "Kama!" Cloud pulled over some pillows, and they laid his body on them, while Kairi explained what happened.

"Poor fellow," said Cloud. "I remember when he first came here. I told him `Go on home, this is no place for you'. But he said, `No, he had no home.' After he became Maleficent's apprentice, his face turned pale, and his eyes became steely."

As they sat there, an idea formed in Kairi's mind.

"If Kama stole the ring from Lucinda, maybe I could take it back to her and apologize for him." She said. Cloud stroked his chin thoughtfully.

"Yes," he said, "That might work. Wait here." Then he rain over to what looked like a file cabinet in one corned of the room, and began looking through it. Just then the door slid open, and Yuffie stepped out. She looked around and noticed Kairi.

"Hey Umi!" she shouted. Then she stopped and looked around. "What happened here?" she asked.


"We had some trouble," answered Kairi.

"Well, the Bathhouse is in chaos!" shouted Yuffie. "There's a monster loose, and he already ate two people!" Kairi stared, then blinked when she realized just whom she meant.

"Oh, is that the nice guy I met? I let him in because I thought he was a guest." She said.

Before Yuffie could say anything, Cloud came over holding something in his hands.

"I've been saving these for 100 years," she said, putting them in Kairi's hands. Yuffie looked over at them.

"Train tickets!" she exclaimed. Cloud nodded.

"I was going to use them, but I think you need it more." He told her. "Lucinda lives at the sixth stop, called Bayou's End. Now, before you go, you have to understand that the train only goes one way. It used to go both ways, but not anymore. Are you sure you want to go?" he asked.

"Yes," answered Kairi. "I'll walk along the tracks."

"Hold on, interrupted Yuffie, "What about the monster?"

"I'll, take care of that now," answered Kairi, as she picked up her clothes from the Shadows, who had hidden them in the holes for safekeeping. Then, she walked over to Kama, and said, "I'll be back, so hold on." Then, she ran off though the door. Yuffie blinked.

"What was that?" she asked Cloud. He smiled.

"Something you wouldn't recognize," he replied. "It's called Love."

~ End Chapter ~