Fan Fiction / Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ Spirited Hearts ❯ The Train to Bayou's End ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hello, and welcome to the final chapter of `Spirited Hearts'. Sorry for being so late, I was just lazy. @_@
 
Now let's get on to the fic! Hold on to your hats folks, `cause this is the longest chapter in the story!
 
***************************************************************** *******
 
Chapter 6: The Train to Bayou's End
 
 
The bathhouse was in complete chaos.
 
Frog-people were running around in a panic, and some were carrying big trays of food, hoping to stave off the gluttonous monster's hunger. Cries of fear filled the air.
 
“What are we gonna do?!”
 
“It just keeps getting bigger!”
 
There she is!”
 
At that final remark, the entire bathhouse went quiet as Kairi walked past, her normal clothes hidden beneath her uniform, and her two new friends on her shoulders. Instantly aware of the cold glares upon her, Kairi simply kept walking straight ahead, ignoring their angry gazes.
 
Eventually, she came to a big, beautifully-decorated door emblazoned with pictures of phoenixes and dragons. From behind the door came shouts of anger. Just then, Maleficent stepped out, looking very mad.
 
“Well it's about time you got here,” she said when she spotted Kairi. “What took you-“
Then she noticed the puppy and duckling that clung to the girl's shoulders. ”What are those?”
 
“You mean you don't recognize them?” Kairi asked in surprise.
 
“Why would I keep things like that around my bathhouse?” Maleficent answered coldly. “Anyway, there's a guest that wants to see you.”
 
She pushed the girl to the door, opened it slightly, and said, “Here's Umi!” before shoving her through and slamming the door shut.
 
“Uh, don't you think you're being a little harsh on her?” another foreman named Tidus asked nervously.
 
“Would you rather be in her place?”
 
“Uh, no Ma'am!”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
The room looked as if a hurricane had ripped through it recently, with bowls and trays flung everywhere, and the remains of various kinds of foods littered the floor and stained the walls. And in the middle of it all sat an enormous black creature nearly 30 times his original size.
 
Riku grabbed a roast pig, and flung it into the air, before catching it in the mouth on his stomach. He turned to look at her, one leg of the roast pig hanging from his larger mouth. Sucking it in, he smirked evilly and held up a plate of sushi.
 
“Want some?”
 
“No thank you.” Riku shrugged and threw the lot, plate and all, into his gaping maw; then promptly spat the dish out.
 
“You know,” he said, his voice as sweet as honey, “I can give you anything you want.” He wrapped one arm around her shoulder, but Goofy bit down on it, causing the creature to pull it back in surprise.
 
“I know you're not this bad.” Kairi said, as bravely as she could. “Is there something you want?”
 
The creature looked at her, and she swore she saw sadness behind those crimson eyes. “I'm lonely.” He said, his voice rising slightly. “I've been alone for a long time, and I want someone to be with me…” He smiled a sick, toothy grin, and said. “That's why I want you!”
 
Kairi stepped back nervously. “Here,” she said, pulling out the medicine from the River Spirit, “I was saving this for my parents, but I think you may need it more.” Riku looked at it quizzically, then picked up out of her hands and throwing it into the mouth on his stomach.
 
Instantly, his body began to twitch and ripple and he turned away, before throwing up all over the floor. He looked back at Kairi and hissed, slime dripping from his mouths, “Umi! What did you do to me?!”
 
Kairi panicked, and ran over to the doors, pulled them open, and raced out. Riku followed, his huge body pushing down the doors and effectively crushing the frog-men who were listening behind it.
 
They tore through the hallways, Riku's body leaving a trail of slime behind him as he ran. At the end of one hallway, Maleficent waited until Kairi passed before stepping out and saying, “That's it! I don't care if he is rich!” She created a fireball and flung it at the creature, but it did little to stop his advance. Instead, she was covered by a blast of vomit.
 
The two of them continued their chase, and the remaining workers and guests had enough sense to stay out of the way. Kairi tumbled down the stairs, and crashed into the wall of the elevators. She barely had any time to move before Riku came down and smashed into the wall himself. Before starting after the girl again, he hacked up Wakka and the other worker, who looked decidedly disgusted.
 
“Ewww! Gross!”
 
On and on they went, with Kairi shedding her uniform as she ran, with her shoes in one hand. Meanwhile, Riku shrank until he was his normal size. Kairi kept on running until she made her way out onto a pipe that jutted from a side of the building. Below her, was Yuffie in a boat made from a washtub.
 
“Hurry up, Umi!”
 
Kairi climbed down the ladder and jumped into the washtub as Yuffie began to paddle off. Looking back, she saw Riku standing on top of the pipe.
 
“Hey Riku!”
 
“What are you doing?!” shouted Yuffie. “That guy's nuts!”
 
There was a splash, as Riku jumped off the pipe and began paddling towards them.
 
“Great. Now he's following us!”
 
“I think being in the bathhouse makes him crazy!” Kairi pointed out. “That's why he should get out!” Yuffie rolled her eyes.
 
“Whatever floats your boat, kid.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
After a lot of paddling, they reached the tracks, and Kairi got out and began walking, her shoes in one hand.
 
“Hey Umi! I'm sorry I was mean to you before! I take it all back!” shouted Yuffie. Kairi simply waved back be fore continuing her long walk.
 
As Yuffie returned to the bathhouse, she told Riku as he passed, “If you hurt her in any way, I'll make you suffer!”
 
Riku said nothing, but spat out Kage before swimming after Kairi again.
 
Yuffie sighed and pulled the small black creature into the boat. “Come on,” she said, “Maleficent's going to be mad.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
When she reached the place where the train was supposed to be, Kairi stopped and put her shoes back on. Donald and Goofy got off her shoulders and stood their waiting. After a while, Goofy started barking, signaling the arrival of the train.
 
They watched as it pulled up and the doors swung open, revealing a humanoid shade in a conductor's outfit.
 
“We'd like to go to Bayou's End, please.” Kairi said politely, handing him (AN: It's probably a male, but I'm just guessing) the tickets.
 
The conductor began counting them before he suddenly stopped. Kairi looked behind her and saw Riku, now in his human form, standing behind her.
 
“Oh. Would you like to come too?”
 
The boy nodded silently. Turning back to the conductor, Kairi said, “He's coming with us.”
 
Satisfied, the conductor put the tickets into a grinder, and let the group on.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Back at the bathhouse, Kama suddenly sat upright, gasping for breath.
 
“Hey now, you're alright.” Cloud said, putting his hands on the boy's shoulders.
 
“Where's Umi?” asked Kama, looking pale.
 
“She went to Lucinda's to return her ring.” Cloud answered softly.
 
As they sat there, Kama said, “You know, when I was unconscious, I couldn't see anything. But then I heard Umi's voice, and that lead me out of the darkness.” (AN: Hey, wasn't there something similar to this in the game?)
 
Cloud smiled and said, “That's the power of love for you.”
 
Wordlessly, Kama got up and walked out the door.
 
“Hey! Where are you going?”
 
“To see Maleficent,” Kama answered. “I have to talk to her.” And with that, he was gone.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Up in Maleficent's office, Kage, Tidus, and Wakka stood in front of Maleficent's desk, where Maleficent herself sat, wrapped up in towels. On her desk was a pile of gold taken from the workers. At the front of the room, was the fake Goofy, who was stuffing his face with candy.
 
“This is hardly enough to cover all that damage that brat Umi caused!” she snapped angrily.
 
“But-but Umi saved us!” Tidus protested, finally finding his voice.
 
“Enough!” Maleficent shouted, banging a fist on the desk, “Her parents are probably ready for cooking anyway!”
 
“Now wait a minute.”
 
They turned to see Kama walk into the room, a calm smile on his face.

”Master Kama!” shouted Kage. Maleficent settled back into her seat.
 
“So…you're still alive?” she asked casually. Kama nodded.
 
“Yes, and I think you don't realize that something very precious to you has been taken away.”
 
“Don't backsass me!” Maleficent snapped. “And since when do you talk that way to your master?”

But Kama's calm gaze prompted her to examine the gold. Then she heard an odd sound. Looking up, she saw the fake Goofy turn back into the four lanterns. Sensing danger, the four of them jumped off each other and hopped out the door as fast as they could.
 
“AAAAAAHHHH!”
 
Maleficent rushed through the curtains into her son's room so fast; she didn't even see the gold change into dirt.
 
The sorceress tore through the pillows and stuffed animals, until the room was messier then before.
 
“Had enough?” Maleficent saw Kama standing in front of her, and rushed at him shouting, “WHERE IS MY BABY?!”
 
“He's at your sister's.” was Kama's calm reply.
 
“Lucinda?”
 
Maleficent collapsed on top of a cushion, saying, “I see now. What is it that you want?”
 
“I want you to release Umi, return her parents to normal, and send them back to the Human World.” Kama said firmly.
 
Maleficent smiled wickedly. “Alright, but on one condition…”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Meanwhile, Kairi, Riku, Donald and Goofy were riding on the train. Kairi and Riku were sitting down, while Donald and Goofy sat in front of the windows watching as the train swept past islands and other places. Every now and then, the train would slide to a stop, and someone would get off. By the time they reached Bayou's End, they were the only ones on board.
 
They got off, and looked at the winding road that leads them into a dark forest. Silently, they started walking down the path, and halfway there, they heard what sounded like flapping of wings. The group watched as a winged lantern flew down to greet them, and they bowed, as is the polite greeting of strangers.
 
The lantern flew off, and they followed, as it occasionally paused to let them catch up. Finally, they reached a small house nestled in the middle of a clearing. It had a very humble feel to it. Kairi walked up to the door, and knocked twice.
 
“Well, don't just stand there child, come in!”
 
The door swung open, and they were instantly greeted by the delicious smell of food being baked. Lucinda stepped forward, smiling.
 
“Well now,” she said, “What is it?”
 
Kairi took out the ring. “I believe this is yours,” she said. “There was a slug on it, but I accidentally stepped on it.”
 
At this, Lucinda burst out laughing. “Oh, you must mean the slug my sister put in Kama to control him!” she said when she was done. Smiling, she added, “Come, and we'll have something to eat.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Later, they were eating cookies and drinking tea while Kairi explained her story.
 
“I see.” Lucinda said after the girl had finished. “You have a difficult task ahead of you.”
 
“You know what's weird? I think I met Kama somewhere before, but I can't remember where.”
 
“When you meet someone, you never forget them.” Lucinda said wisely. “You should try to remember. And by the way, your friends,” (and here she indicated Donald and Goofy), “Can return to normal whenever they want. But I don't think they want to change back just yet.” She got up and said, “While you're thinking, me and the others will make something for you that may help you later on.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
A few minutes later, Donald and Goofy were taking turns spinning a spinning wheel, while Riku was making thread and Lucinda was painting colorful designs on a conch shell.
 
“My, Riku,” Lucinda said smiling, “Where did you learn how to spin?”
 
“Oh, I've had some experience,” the boy replied, smiling himself.
 
Kairi sat in the corner, thinking before she said, “I give up! There's no way I can remember anything about me and Kama!”
 
“Well,” Lucinda told her, “Keep trying, and it may come to you. By the way, I have something for you.” She handed her a necklace with the shell attached, and said, “This will protect you from any danger you may face. It was made by your friends and will keep you out of danger's way.”
 
“It's beautiful…” Kairi whispered, putting it on. Suddenly, there was a rattling of the window panes.
 
“Oh Goody! More guests! Could you be a dear and get that for me?”
 
Kairi got up and opened the door, and saw Kama (in his beast form) standing in front of her. She ran out and hugged him, shouting, “Kama! You're alright!”
 
Lucinda, who was standing in the doorway, said, “I see you two are made for each other.” She stepped forward, and said, “Kama, I will forgive you for stealing my ring, just as long as you take good care of this girl.” Kama nodded. Donald and Goofy walked over to them, but not before Goofy gave Lucinda a small lick.
 
Lucinda turned to Riku and asked him, “Riku, I need some help around here, so would you like to stay with me?”
 
The boy smiled as he said, “I would love to.”
 
Kairi took a deep breath, and then ran up to Lucinda, saying, “I want you to know my real name. It's Kairi.”
 
Lucinda smiled. “Kairi? What a beautiful name. You take good care of it.”
 
The girl picked up Donald and Goofy, and then climbed on Kama's back as they took off.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
As they flew, Kairi felt cool breezes of air on her face, and realized they were not from her flight. Leaning forward, she whispered, “Hey Kama, guess what? When I was little, my parents took me to a big Cliffside to have a picnic. But I got to close to the edge, and I fell off. I though I was going to die, but then a really strong wind picked me up and put me back on the cliff. I think that was you! The cliffs were called Sora, because you felt like you were in the sky, and I think that's your real name!”
 
Kama (now Sora) froze, and his body began to shake violently. The next thing Kairi knew, Sora had reverted back to his human form, and they plummeted through the skies. She looked into his face, and saw that his eyes were no longer cold and hard, but bright and shining.
 
“You did it Kairi!” he shouted, his voice almost lost in the winds that rushed past them as the fell, “I remember now! I was the wind spirit of the Sora Cliffs!”
 
“They destroyed it,” Kairi pointed out, “I think it's an office building now!”
 
“That's why I felt like I didn't have a home! Thank you so much!”
 
As they were about to hit the ground, they stopped and took off towards the direction of the bathhouse, with Donald and Goofy included.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
At the very same place they were going to, the entire bathhouse had an air of unease around it. Ten pigs had been brought out, and were snuffling around behind a line. Workers and customers alike stood around, waiting for something to happen. Finally, something did, in the form of Kairi and Sora landing on the ground, where they were instantly greeted by Maleficent.
 
“So you're back, eh? So where's my son?”
 
Goofy ran up to her and barked, before he was surrounded by a flash of bright light and he returned to his normal form- that is, if you consider a giant dog normal. Behind him, Donald reverted to his true form.
 
“Sweetie!” Maleficent shouted, hugging her son, “Are you alright? Did they hurt you?”
 
“Umi and me had a great time,” Goofy replied, smiling, “We rode a train, and flew, and everything!”
 
Maleficent looked over at Kairi and said, “Well, you brought my baby back, but you still have one more test to complete.”
 
At this, the crowd behind them started shouting loudly, but Maleficent silenced them with a cold glare. Goofy looked at his mother and said sternly, “If you make Umi cry, mommy, I won't love you anymore!”
 
Maleficent paled slightly. “Sweetie, a deal's a deal!” she protested.
 
Kairi stepped forward. “Hey! You have a point!” she said. Sora grabbed her arm.
 
“Are you sure about this?” he whispered.
 
“Yes.” Kairi answered.
 
Maleficent smirked. “Okay then, come with me.” Turning to Goofy, she added, “This will only take a minute, honey.”
 
She lead Kairi over to where the pigs were, and told her, “If you can tell which of these pigs are your mother and father, then you can all go free.”
 
Kairi scrutinized them for a moment before saying, “There must be some mistake. None of these pigs are my parents.”
 
“None? Is that your final answer?”
 
Kairi nodded, and the scroll Maleficent had been clutching tightly burst into green flames. The pigs turned back into workers who shouted, “YOU GOT IT!”
 
The onlookers burst into cheers and Maleficent just stared dumbfounded before shouting, “Just go already!”
 
“Thank you!” Kairi ran over to Sora, and they left, but not before Kairi said her goodbyes.
 
Maleficent just stood there, fuming silently. Outsmarted by a human! And a young one at that!
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
When Kairi and Sora reached the edge of the bathhouse grounds, they found that the water had vanished, allowing them to cross it.
 
“When you broke the spell,” Sora told her, “Your parents woke up on the other side of the river. They won't remember a thing, but that's probably for the better.”
 
“Aren't you coming with me?” Kairi asked sadly. The boy shook his head.
 
“No, I'm going to have a nice long talk with Maleficent.” He grabbed her hands. “But it's okay! I have my name back, and I promise I'll visit you someday.”
 
“Really?”
 
“I promise. Now you better get going, your parent's will be worried sick. And whatever you do, don't look back!”
 
Kairi nodded, and ran across the grassy plains.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
“Kairi? Where are you?”
 
When she got to where the tunnel was, she found her parents looking for her.
 
“Where have you been?” her father asked sternly. “We were looking all over for you!”
 
“I'm sorry.” Kairi said meekly.
 
“Well, we'd better get going,” her mother said, “We don't want to miss the movers.”
 
And with that, they walked into the tunnel. Kairi paused for a moment, before following them.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
When they reached the end of the tunnel, they were surprised to find that the car was covered in dust and leaves, like no one had been there for a long time.
 
“What is this? Someone's idea of a joke?” asked her father, confused as he began cleaning it off.
 
Kairi only turned to stare at the tunnel, peering into its gloomy darkness.
 
“Kairi? It's time to go.”
 
“Don't worry, sweetheart, everything's going to be alright.”
 
Kairi took a deep breath, and climbed into there car. For the longest time, all she could do was watch the statue as it shrunk into the distance.
 
“You know,” her father said, “It can be pretty scary moving back to a new house.”
 
The girl let her gaze drop to her necklace, which neither of her parents had noticed yet, and though of all her friends on the other side.
 
She smiled and replied, “I think I can handle it.”
 
THE END
 
Cast (in order of appearance)
Kairi Ogino- Hayden Panettiere
Leon Ogino- David Boreanaz
Aeris Ogino- Mandy Moore (Yes, I know it's Areith in the game, but I like Aeris better.)
Kama/Sora- Haley Joel Osment
Kage- Billy West
Cloud- Steve Burton
Yuffie- Christy Carlson Romano
Wakka- Shaun Flemming
Maleficent- Susanne Blakeslee
Frog-man - Dan Castanella
Frog woman #1- Cree Summer
Frog woman #2- Nancy Cartwright
Riku- David Gallager
Goofy- Bill Farmer
Lucinda- Kath Soucie
Frog woman #3- Julie Kavner
Frog woman #4- Tara Strong
Frog woman #5- E.G Daily
Tidus- Dee Bradley Baker
 
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_* _*_*_*_
 
Wow. This is the first multichapter fic I've been able to finish. Yay me!
 
(Waves flags around)
 
Well, until our paths cross again, sayonara.
 
~ Gijinka Renamon ~