Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Fourth God ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Fourth "God"

A Yu-Gi-Oh!/X-Men: Evolution crossover fic.

Written by Rogue Moon

"Intensive Rebuilding the X-Mansion

X53.7282- 2 credits

F 4:30

Instructor: Forge

Pride in one's house of learning shows true commitment to one's studies. Plus, Magneto just wrecked the place again."

~Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters, Welcome Letter/Core Curriculum Outline

Chapter Ten

"I cut his hand Chuck. I know I didn't miss," Logan growled. The Canadian had been pacing in Xavier's office for the past twenty minutes, ready to find the brat and force him to talk. His intentions at lunch had changed when no drop of blood had shown up from the boy touching the sharp tip of his claw. Originally he had just wanted to get the boy relaxed/distracted enough that he could slip in some seemingly innocent but personal questions about the stupid pendant.

Charles, for his part, rationalized the incident in an attempt to keep the short man calm. "I believe you did cut his hand," the Professor replied, "but perhaps he has healing abilities akin to yours. Perhaps he wishes to hide all of his powers. The knowledge that he is sharing a roof with others like him may let him relax, but it doesn't mean he's willing to trust. Perhaps he doesn't know the full extent of his powers. It is also possible that some of his powers are not mutant in nature, but rather, supernatural."

Logan raised an eyebrow, "You don't mean…?"

The professor nodded, steepling his fingers, "I am not so narrow-minded as to believe all 'mystical' occurrences in the world are mutant powers going awry. Humans and mutants alike have dabbled in the occult. Ororo was once worshiped as a goddess and her people employed decidedly non-mutant powers to keep her with them. She has dabbled in such 'magiks'. Perhaps our young guests have done so as well. If only to try and find an explanation for their abilities."

The Canadian stopped his pacing and put an unlit cigar in his mouth and chewed on the end. Xavier waited politely while his friend thought it over. Logan pulled the unlit cigar from his mouth, "Let's say that last possibility is right. How do we test it?"

*****

When the final bell rang, Yugi was one of the first out the door. He wanted to get to back to Yami, where he felt safe. The bully from gym had been bumping into him at every chance since that class ended. The small boy knew when he was being stalked and did not like it one bit.

He was halfway to the convertible when he came to a crashing halt. Quicksilver appeared out of seemingly nowhere and stood directly in Yugi's path; there was no time for him to stop. The Japanese boy fell backwards and landed hard, his book bag skidding a foot or two away.

Quicksilver put his hands on his hips and leaned down to look Yugi directly in the eyes. Grinning like a madman, he greeted the boy like an old friend, "Hey Yugi! It's rude not to introduce yourself to someone. I had to find out your name from some of your classmates. We didn't get to finish our conversation in Gym. I'd love to hear more about those cards of yours and Toad wants to see what you got, too. He likes that card game. Maybe you can come over to our place and you guys can hang out, huh? What do you say?"

Yugi stared up at his newest tormentor and said nothing. He was still trying to process what had happened with the fall and all the words that had poured so fast from Quicksilver's lips. How had the bully gotten in front of him like that? It didn't make sense and instead of answering the mutant's questions, Yugi asked one of his own, "How… how did you do that?

Pietro straightened up, "Dowhat?"

"Get in front of me," Yugi replied, standing up and collecting his backpack, "one second you were not there, and the next… you were."

"You don't know? I figured you would, since you're staying with the X-Babies and all."

Yugi's eyebrows scrunched in mild confusion, "No… What do I not know?"

Pietro grinned wider and pointed at himself, "I'm a mutant. So is Toad, Avalanche and Blob. You know, the guys I hang around with. You really didn't know?"

Yugi shook his head 'no' and adjusted his bag's shoulder strap, "They never said anything about other mutants in school. I just assumed they were the only ones. What do you want with me?"

"I want to be your friend, what else?"

"Then why have you been insulting me in class? And why did you steal my deck?"

Pietro shrugged and crossed his arms, "It was something to do. And I didn't know you were staying at the institute until earlier today. Its not often new blood comes into town. New mutant blood, anyway. If I had known you were one of us, I would have said 'hi' a lot sooner. Have to be really careful about who you're nice to, you know. Say the wrong thing to the wrong person and BAM! There you are, dead! Just because you're a mutant. Just 'cause you're a little different. So what's your power?"

Yugi waited moment before replying, "What's yours?"

"You tell me yours, I'll tell you mine, eh? Okay. Sure. I'm super fast. The fastest man in the world. That's why I'm called Quicksilver. My real name is Pietro Maximov. Your turn."

"My name is Yugi Motou and I can… shield myself," He answered, remembering what Yami had told him to say to the others. "From stuff hitting me. Sometimes. I really can't control it. But I'm working on it. So… if you're super fast, then you really did run the mile?"

Pietro grinned proudly, "Yep! And I did it two seconds faster than last lime. I think it should have been recorded as four seconds faster, though. I think the teacher's watch is slow. Well, I think everything's slow, so it's no real surprise." The boy's eyes looked past Yugi for a moment. "Well, looks like the Scout troop is here. See ya around!" And then he was gone, a cloud of dust the only sign of his passing.

Scott ran over to Yugi and glared after the white-haired boy, "You okay, Yugi? Pietro didn't try anything did he?"

"Aside from telling me that there are more mutants than I knew of and making fun of me in class?" Yugi shook his head and started back on his walk to the convertible, "No. He didn't try anything."

*****

Scott explained about the Magneto, the Acolytes and the Brotherhood on the ride back to the mansion. He said everything so matter-of-factly that Yugi couldn't find it within himself to feel angry at not being told. It wasn't that they had intentionally left him uninformed. It was that to them, the Brotherhood was an everyday occurrence and something that the entire school knew about. It was just assumed that Yugi would know after a few days at school. After all, the Brotherhood was a common topic of conversation amongst their classmates.

/Just one more thing I'll have to talk to Yami about before we go to bed,/ Yugi thought to himself, sighing and leaning back in leather seat of Scott's convertible. Ignoring the others and not caring if he was being rude, Yugi pulled out the bag of puzzles he had brought to school in case he got really bored. Glancing through it he decided on the Rubik cube. It was a simple puzzle that he could lose himself in for the rest of the ride.

Needless to say, the cube was solved by the time Scott pulled into the school grounds.

*****

Kaiba's cell phone started to ring just as he was heading to his private helicopter. Glancing at the screen, he saw an unfamiliar number. This was confusing since the only people with access to this particular line were people he knew. Running the possibilities through his head he decided that it was probably someone he knew calling from an unfamiliar number. Possibly it was that Warren guy. He had given the kid this number just a few days ago and the area code was not from Japan.

Annoyed that he would choose now to call, when he was on his way to see Yugi, Seto answered, "Kaiba."

"Seto!? Oh, God! Thank God you answered! No one else has answered. My dad's line is busy and my house's line is busy and everyone else's line is busy! You have to help me! I can't get through to anyone else! Please! Say you'll help me! Please! I don't know how long I have before… before he comes back…"

Kaiba pulled the phone from his ear and gave it a disbelieving look, then brought it slowly back to his ear, "Who are you and how do you know me?"

"It's Warren. You gave me your number, remember? I had it on me when he grabbed me. I don't think he searched me after he knocked me out. When I woke up I still had all my things on me. I'm not sure how long I was out, but I still have my phone and wallet and everything I had on me… You have to help. Please. I think he's going to try and ransom me or something. That's why rich kids get kidnapped, right? For money, right?" Warren's voice grew more shrill and panicked and it almost sounded like the boy was crying. He was definitely having trouble breathing.

Kaiba wasn't really the greatest at giving comfort, but he did his best as he placed his laptop on the ground and turned it on., "Just stay calm, I'm going to try and trace your number. Take a look at where you are. What kind of room you're in, if there's any furniture. I'm going to assume you aren't tied up since you were able to call me. Tell me what the place looks like."

Warren gulped a couple times before answering, "It's a small room, maybe 15 x 15. Not much bigger, if that. There're two beds, the one I'm on and the one across from me. I'm actually tied to the bed by a chain around my ankle. There's no windows and the walls are concrete. The door… It's metal. No handle on this side. It looks like it was taken off. And there's someone else in the other bed…"

Kaiba stopped his typing, "Someone else? Do you know them?"

"No. I've never seen her before. But she's been asleep since I woke up. There's this big bruise on the right side of her face. My phone has a camera. Hold on I'll send you a picture of her… Can you receive pictures?"

"Yes."

"Hold on…"

A few tense moments ticked away slowly before Kaiba's phone beeped at him, telling him that a picture had been sent. Opening it up, the young billionaire went rigid. There was no mistaking the face in picture. The bruise only added to the man's rising anger.

Centered in the middle of his screen, eyes closed peacefully under purpled flesh, was the first girl Kaiba had ever fallen for. Whoever had kidnapped Anzu was going to pay.

*****

Yugi and Yami were on their way to their now daily Danger Room session, when Ororo's voice came over the intercom, "Yugi? Could you come to the front entrance? There is a young gentleman here to see you. He says it has to do with Duel Monsters."

Yami gave his light a curious look and Yugi shrugged in response, he wasn't expecting anyone. The two turned around and headed back upstairs to greet their guest.

In the hall leading to the front door, Scott stood with arms crossed and a glare directed at whoever was on the other side. Yugi walked passed the taller boy and went to greet whoever was there to see him. Yami had already retreated into the puzzle, looking out from his soul room, seeing the world through Yugi's eyes.

In the entrance hall stood, no, squatted the guy who wanted to see Yugi. The sickly looking boy hopped over to the exchange student and held out his hand, "Hey Yugi! Remember me? Toad? We have Gym together. The guys usually make fun of me 'cause I like Duel Monsters. But I thought maybe you and I could have a game or two. Not many people will hang around with me."

Yugi took the offered hand, "As long as you refrain from name-calling, then I think a duel or two wouldn't be so bad. Your name isn't really Toad is it?"

Toad laughed and shook his head, "Nah, that's just my nick-name. It's a bit of a play on my real name. Todd. Todd Tolenski."

"It's nice to meet you Todd. Are you wanting to duel now? Or can it wait?"

"I was kind of hoping to duel now. And outside if that's okay?" Toad looked meaningfully at Scott, who was still glaring at the boy. "I'm not really welcome here and I'm hopping on a fine line as it is."

Yugi glanced back at Scott and raised his voice just enough to be heard, "Todd and I are going outside for a quick game of Duel Monsters, okay? I'll join Yami in the Danger Room when I'm done."

//What?// Yami responded, //I don't get to stay?//

/One of us should be there and Todd knows me. I doubt I'll need your help to beat him, either. And on top of that, it's just a friendly game, okay?/

Yami materialized next to his lighter-half, startling Yugi's guest, "Fine. But make it quick, all right? We both need to practice. You more than me." The darker one stuck his hands in his pockets and turned back the way Yugi had come, //And be careful. This guy does not give me a good feeling.//

"I will," Yugi replied to both of Yami's comments and headed in the opposite direction, to the front doors.

When both Todd and Yugi were outside, they sat down on the steps and pulled out their decks. Todd then asked about Yami.

Yugi blinked at the boy, surprised at the question. A second or two later it occurred to him that Todd wasn't one of the few who knew about Yami. "Oh… Ah, Yami is… my brother. We are twins. I was the only one selected for the exchange program, however, so Yami is staying here while I go to Bayville High."

Todd nodded his head in understanding, "I see. So he's a mutant, too? It's kind of obvious with him appearing out of nowhere like that. I play two cards face down and set one monster in defense mode

Yugi glanced at the cards, "Yes. He is also a mutant. I play one card face down. I then play Soul Exchange to sacrifice your monster to bring out my Summoned Skull in attack mode. Since it is past the first turn, I can now attack as well. And since you have no monsters on the field, Summoned Skull can attack your life points for 2500. Are we playing with First Edition rules or the reworked World Tournament rules?"

Todd bit his lip and filled a trap, "Well, since I'll probably need the life points, let's go with the reworked rules… is it my turn yet?"

"Almost. Let's see… You are now at 5500 life points and I am still at 8000. I will place a second card face down on the field and end my turn. You may go."

*****

Yami hurried back down to the Danger Room. He really didn't like the idea of going it alone for however long it took Yugi to beat the strange boy. The obstacles thrown at the twins during past sessions were hard enough to overcome with two people. Yami was unsure he would be able to get through them alone.

When the huge metal door to the room opened, the spirit came to a startled halt. Standing just inside the door, were three of the X-men: Rogue, Storm, and Nightcrawler.

The elder of the three smiled at Yami's surprise, "I thought that perhaps today, the two families could have a chance at working together. It's a little known fact, but Rogue and Nightcrawler share the same mother. Legally, at least. Your brother will not take long, I hope? I do not wish to get started without him."

Yami smirked at the three and entered the room, "He'll be down soon. Yugi should be winning the Duel right about now."

"Duel?" Kurt piped up, "What Duel?"

"The one Yugi's having with Todd."

*****

The sickly looking boy played Dark Hole, hoping to wipe the field of monsters and turn the game to his favor, "So how long you and… Yami, was it? How long ya here for?"

Yugi flipped his White Hole and saved his Summoned Skull from being wiped off the field, "About a month and a half more. We will be finishing the semester out here in Bayville before going back home."

"Really? That means you and I can play again sometime, right? I mean, if the X-babies let you hang out with me more often and all. Your turn."

Yugi gave Todd a curious look, "What do you mean by 'let me' hang out with you. The X-Men would not stop me from seeing a friend. I attack with Summoned Skull and do another 2500 to your life points. Please… Explain what you mean."

Todd shrugged, "They probably wouldn't try to stop you straight out, but this isn't the first time me or one of the guys have had friends within the X-men and ended up worse off for it. You should hear what happened with Kitty and Lance. Now that's a screwed up relationship. And Rogue! Geez! Did you know she was in my group before she joined the X-Men?" The lackey shook his head and placed a card on the field, "I play one monster face down, your turn."

Yugi shook his head, "No. I did not know the Rogue was your friend."

"I didn't say she was my friend. Naw, we don't get along. She pretty much despises the Brotherhood. That's all Mystiques' fault, though. She's the one who didn't tell Rogue that she was her daughter. So I can't blame that on the scouts. But, thing is, she was more rude and hateful to us after she joined Xavier and his kids."

"Oh… I… see… I play Harpy's Feather Duster and use a second Soul Exchange on your face down monster. I also sacrifice my Summoned Skull to bring out the Dark Magician. Dark Magician will then attack and take out the last of your life points." Yugi picked up his cards and thanked Todd for the Duel, "I look forward to playing against you again."

*****

The short boy ran back to the Danger Room, his cards safely back in their belt pouch. The door opened and Ororo greeted him, just as she had Yami. She then went on to explain the mission of the day.

"Today, the four of you will be working as a team. Your goal is to get me from this side of the room to the other. You will have to do all the fighting to protect me. I will not do any. I will not help you achieve your goal, but I also will not hinder you. Now, Yugi and Yami are used to trusting each other and Rogue and Nightcrawler are used to trusting each other. But neither pair have worked in tandem together. As Rogue and Kurt are the more experienced pair, I expect Yugi and Yami to follow their lead. You will need to work as a team, please try to do so. And before you ask, the fuzzy one is not allowed to just teleport me there. This simulation is to test your ability when you do not know what the exit looks like." Ororo pressed a button hidden on her wristband, "This session starts now."

The room went dark for a moment and then lightened slightly as red lights turned on and the hologram program began putting up its randomly generated maze. Storm started forward at a sedate pace while Rogue and Kurt flanked her cautiously.

Yugi became rather nervous at the new surroundings, and trotted closely behind Rogue, his mind distracted by Todd's comments. Yami was outwardly calm as he trailed his light.

A fog started to roll in and the southern girl took leadership, "Alright folks, it's going ta be hard ta see from here on out. Kurt, can ya'll take the point and scout ahead? If you get caught in a trap, just bamf back ta me, kay?"

"Right," the blue furry one replied and bounded ahead and out of sight.

Rogue addressed the twins next, "Alright, we have a scout. Yugi, your power is making shields to deflect things, right? I know ya'll have trouble with them, so I want you ta start concentrating on making one now. That way, if we need it, we'll have a better chance of getting it. Yami, your power is invisibility, or a form there of, right? I want you ta follow us all invisible like, kay? That way, if we get caught in something, we'll have someone on the outside who has a chance of getting us out."

Yugi immediately started mumbling the shield spell under his breath, trying to concentrate on the flow of energy around him and getting it to flow just so. Yami also did as he was told and went to spirit form, disappearing from the material world around him.

Ororo walked forward.

*****

The first few minutes of the session were filled with tense anticipation. Everyone expected something to pop out at them. Yugi had visions of a buzz saw blade going for his neck running through his mind. His imagination and the conversation with Todd did not help his concentration.

//Yugi?// The darker of the pair turned his attention to his light, //Are you all right? You seem overly nervous. Is it the strangeness of the mission?//

Yugi shook his head, /No… I just had a not-so-assuring conversation with Todd. It has me questioning weather or not to trust the others as much as I have./

//Really? What did he say?//

/I'll tell you later. We really need to concen…/ Yugi cut off his own thought as a robotic arm appeared out of the darkness surrounding the small group. The metal limb grabbed for Ororo, who was pushed out of the way by Rogue, "Heads up, ya'll! Here it comes!"

Lasers shot at them from unseen perches and Kurt bamfed back to the party, going immediately for Storm. The furry elf knew that if anything really bad happened it was his job to keep her out of trouble. More robotic arms came at the group and medium sized rubber balls were launched from both sides.

Yugi, surprised by the assault, was actually able to get a shield up. It stopped the balls on the left from hitting Rogue and Ororo, but his shield didn't cover the right side. They pummeled the small boy and the assault drove him into the line of a swinging robotic arm. The arm, in turn, hit him hard enough to send him falling to the ground. His head impacting with the floor was enough to knock him out.

Yami immediately entered the puzzle to do what he could. It was his reaction to take control and protect Yugi during times like these. Unfortunately it was Rogue's reaction to touch a fallen comrade and absorb their power for use until said person woke back up. And Yugi's shields were very useful.

The combination of the two actions did not result in a good ending.

*****

Warren Worthington the Third, Billionaire and son of a Billionaire, hung up his phone and put it in his pocket. He then turned to Mesmero; face decidedly less lively than his voice had just been, "Kaiba traced the call. He'll be here in less than a day."

The tattooed man picked up his coat, "Good." He smiled at the fourth occupant of the room, "This girl is worth just as much as you told me she was."

The boy did not respond. He, too, was under Mesmero's control, just as Warren was.

The mutant pulled his robes tighter around himself, "Warren, be a good boy and ready your father's jet. It's time I returned to the Master. I think a trip to Egypt would be good right about now." He ran a hand through Anzu's hair and grinned at the other boy, "This girl will make an excellent sacrifice. Carry her."

The boy did as he was told, eyes lifeless, as if his soul had been sealed away.

"Yes, I think a trip to Egypt would be very good right now. And who knows? Maybe being in some dark, dank tomb will awaken your old memories…"

Mesmero pulled a hat down over his brow, leading the way out of the warehouse. Warren followed, already on the phone about the jet. Taking up the rear, Anzu in his arms, walked Ryu Bakura.

*****

End Chapter Ten

I'm being mean again. First it takes me a month longer than I wanted to get his out. And then it ends up being two pages shorter than the last chapter. And of course there are the two cliffhangers I added. Not one, which I can barely deal with when other authors to it, but two. And no explanation on how the second one happened. Or what a certain vengeful spirit is going to do in response. Tsk, tsk. I really am being mean. *sigh* Guess I'll just have to start on the next chapter so we can all find out happens next. And maybe if I get that one done by the end of May, people will stop threatening to beat me up over not updating fast enough… And I even added more plot! So you can forgive the slow update, right?

Right?

Hello?

Anyone?

Dang…

One last thing~ Does anyone actually read the quotes I put at the beginning of the chapters? Should I keep putting them there?