Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Five Seconds ❯ Five Seconds ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Five Seconds
Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter or Yu Yu Hakusho
Summary: The first time they kissed it had been an accident. In Yusuke's opinion, it couldn't even be counted as a kiss. But, it had been the start of a very strange relationship.
Pairings: Yusuke/Harry pre-slash. (Yes, I know I'm not quite sane for coming up with this pairing.)
Characters: Yusuke, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Snape, Seamus, Neville.
Warnings: Pre-slash, exploding potions, and pre-slash.
Author's Notes: This is a one shot. There might be more, one day. But for now, it stands alone. Also, I'm not completely happy with this and will probably touch it up a bit when my beta and I finish editing the already posted chapters of AGP.
 
 
Five Seconds
 
 
Ever since Koenma had discovered the threats concerning the Potter kid, the detectives had been taking turns guarding him. Every five days they changed places, except Kuwabara, who mostly took the weekend shifts so he didn't miss too many of his classes. This week, it was Yusuke's turn and he was dutifully following the three Gryffindors to the potions lab. When they entered the room, he took up his usual post against the wall, ignoring the worried glances his charge kept sending him.
 
The kid had a good reason to be worried. Snape hated Yusuke because Snape thought the teenager was a fool and a delinquent, and Yusuke hated Snape because the man constantly did everything in his power to embarrass him, his friends, or the kid they were charged with protecting. The fact that the guy smelled like a dead cow, cooking oil, and rotten eggs really didn't help. All in all, Snape reminded Yusuke of his two least favorite teachers from junior high.
 
Yusuke raised an eyebrow when the black haired boy in front of him discretely pointed his wand at Snape and muttered a cleaning charm under his breath. He suppressed a snort of laughter when the spell bounced of the man's hair and he saw the Potter kid pass the redhead next to him two silver coins. But, he did laugh when Snape turned around and glared at the class, running a hand over the back of his head.
 
With the show over, Yusuke began looking around the classroom, checking for any threats, demonic or magical. While they were only supposed to protect the boy against demons, Yusuke and the others had quickly learned all of the classes at this school were dangerous in their own way. The centaurs had tried to attack Yusuke during a Care of Magical Creatures class; the smoke in the Divination classroom irritated Hiei's Jagan eye; Kurama had been accidentally forced into a half human, half kitsune form in Transfiguration; and Snape had tried to force Kuwabara to drink a botched potion during the one time he had been in his class. That was another reason Yusuke disliked Snape.
 
The main threat in potions wasn't Snape, though; it was Neville Longbottom. The seventeen year old was a good kid, but Snape scared the hell out of him, causing him to make several easily avoided mistakes. Yusuke's grin faded when he looked at Longbottom and saw the worried look on his face. That wasn't good. He glanced at the boy's potion and saw it was a mass of dark green bubbling goo. Yusuke quickly looked at Hermione's potion and blanched. Hers was a bright pale pink. He looked at Longbottom's potion again and saw it was starting to glow. That definitely wasn't good.
 
Yusuke immediately grabbed the boy in front of him and began to drag him away from the impending explosion. That potion wasn't demonic and technically Yusuke didn't have to do anything, but he wasn't willing to take the risk of something happening. But, before he could get the boy out the door, Longbottom's cauldron exploded, setting off a chain reaction of explosions. At the first explosion, Yusuke instinctively pushed the boy in front of him and braced himself. He didn't know what Longbottom had made, but he was pretty sure he didn't want his charge getting hit with it.
 
The next thing Yusuke knew, he was lying in the middle of the hallway and looking into shocked green eyes through cracked glasses. He blinked a few times before he realized the other boy was blushing. Then he realized why the boy was blushing and he jerked his head back. Yusuke immediately climbed off of him and stood up. “You know, those explosions get bigger every time,” he said, completely ignoring the accidental quasi-kiss as he held a hand out.
 
Still blushing, Harry laughed as Yusuke helped him stand up. “Ron says it's because of Neville's secret desire to kill Snape,” he said, letting go of Yusuke's hand. He leaned against the wall, wincing when his bruised back touched the stone. “I hope everyone's alright,” he said, trying to get a glimpse of his friends through the dissipating green smoke.
 
Yusuke turned around to look into the classroom and his shoulders started shaking as he laughed. Harry stepped away from the wall and looked around the taller boy. He snorted once before muffling his laughter by pressing his face into Yusuke's back. Snape already made his life miserable. He really didn't need to make it worse by laughing at the man.
 
Snape stood in the center of the room, disorientated, covered in green and pink goop, and dressed like Neville's grandmother, right down to the red handbag. Other than being coated in stripes of green and pink goop, the seventh year Gryffindors and Slytherins looked fine. Yusuke and Harry quickly darted into the room and began shooing students out of the room before Snape snapped out of his daze. With the other students gone, Harry got Ron and Hermione, and Yusuke grabbed the stunned Neville and snickering Seamus. The six teenagers ran from the room, laughing when they finally heard Snape start yelling. They slowed down to a walk when they reached the hallway to the infirmary.
 
“You know what this means, right?” Seamus said, grinning at Neville.
 
“What,” Hermione asked, giggling as she tried to check her books for damage as they walked, “that Professor Snape's never going to live down the boggart incident?”
 
“That Gryffindor's going to be in the negative by dinner?” Ron volunteered.
 
“That Snape's finally going to be forced to take a shower?” Harry asked.
 
“It means that Neville here is a genius. As far as I know, that was the first time anyone's ever made a potion that transfigured something,” Seamus said as he pulled the door to the infirmary open.
 
Yusuke followed the students into the infirmary, watching the teenager walking in front of him. He continued to watch him as Harry, Seamus and Neville sat down on one of the last empty beds and school nurse checked Harry and the others over. Yusuke frowned briefly when he realized he wasn't thinking of Harry as a kid anymore. He mentally went over the past hour, trying to come up with a reason for the change, and his mind kept going back to landing in the hallway. He stared at the teenager sitting on the bed across from where he was standing and tried to figure out what made those five seconds so unusual.
 
In Yusuke's opinion, it wasn't really a kiss, but…
 
Harry rolled his eyes and looked away when he saw Yusuke was staring at him. Yusuke smirked when he saw the wizard was blushing again.
 
It wasn't really a kiss, but it was a start.
 
 
A/N: This is completely unrelated to `A Grim's Promise' or the long Yusuke/Harry story that I'm working on. ::Glares at the plot bunnies surrounding the computer:: I think my plot bunnies are breeding. I keep getting ideas for YYH/HP crossover pairings.