Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction / Vandread Fan Fiction ❯ ZoidDread ❯ Ambush! ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

ZoidDread
 
Disclaimer: VanDread belongs to Studio GONZO, while Zoids belongs to Tomy.
 
Chapter 7
 
Ambush!
 
< >: Thoughts
 
<< “ ” >>: Organoid Language
 
*************
 
In the void of space…near an asteroid belt
 
“Damn it! That thing's getting away again!!”
 
Scott shouted in anger as the target he tried to take out with his Liger's weapons got away. The damn thing was fast…very fast and maneuverable…making the Dreads of the women look like garden slugs. The machine resembled a large dart, almost like a metallic mosquito…and like the mosquito it resembled, it and it's forces were becoming very annoying to the pirates.
 
“Keep you're cool guys, we've got to focus on how to protect the ship…Lance, what's the status of the Dread Squadrons?” Brandon asked as he ripped apart more Cube Fighters.
 
“In a word…bad.”
 
Brandon sighed…things had gotten real dicey now.
 
The women pirates and their male allies were still struggling to make their way to the home system of Megele and Tarak, and it had been quite a struggle to not only deal with cultural blunders, both small and large now and then, but to deal with the constant attacks of the aliens, namely their fighters now dubbed as Cube Fighters and their Seed Ships. The forces in question had been waiting in a nearby massive debris belt to ambush the Nirvana and the pirates were caught, being unable to maneuver the ship due to the danger of the asteroids, planetary debris and more slamming into the ship, the pirates were forced to duke it out with the alien forces as soon as they were detected.
 
Problems sprang out the very second they fought the aliens…the first, apart from the lack of room for the Nirvana to move, was the fact that debris were hampering the Dread interceptors' ability to maneuver, showing once more their inherent vulnerability in close combat situations, and their ineffectiveness in a closed fight, despite their fire-power, armor, and speed, they were still hampered hard by the numbers of debris that limited their space to maneuver. The asteroids also interfered with the navigational systems of the Dreads, leaving them unable to determine where they were going, and this allowed the aliens to further press the attacks.
 
However it appeared that the new alien fighter didn't have those kinds of problems as it zipped around the area, taking sniping shots at both him and his brothers and the pirates. The machine may not have the size or armor, but it certainly had speed and maneuverability to help it along the way..
 
The Nirvana was still in the area, and with no weapons and no route of escape, the pirates had no choice but to fight in the unfavorable sector they were in…and the women were paying dearly as several of their pilots had to be rescued due to their Dreads being damaged and their injuries growing…that however was the least of their worries as a certain silver Dread was no longer in command of the Dreads.
 
Brandon frowned at that thought as he and Zarreke slammed into a Cube Fighter and the Zoid bit through the cylindrical connector and the Cube Fighter was turned to two floating pieces of junk. Even if this environment limited his Liger's use of the Ion Engines of the Jaeger CAS, it had little effect on the fighting power of the Zoid and it's pilot. That was not his concern at the moment as he recalled just what had happened earlier…
 
*************
 
Flashback…
 
Meia gritted her teeth as she dodged yet another bunch of asteroids as she had taken out a pair of Cube Fighters, but she knew that they were merely the cannon fodder, the real prize was the nimble fighter that spearheaded the attack of the aliens, who they have dubbed the Harvesters, and seemed to be the best target to take out…
 
However, even for the veteran Dread pilot the fighter of the Harvesters proved to be one foe she couldn't easily catch and take out. The Dread she had, even with it's Paeksis enhanced systems was never built for the kind of battle-field she and the others were currently in.
 
She looked to the side and gritted her teeth as she saw that the asteroids did little to stop Brandon and his siblings in their attacks. The Zoids were seemingly at home on this kind of battle as they raked up a load of kills with ease as they used what was once the advantages of the Harvesters around, the Ligers were build for close combat first and foremost and despite the specialties of each sibling, they were very adept at close combat.
 
Lance managed to rip into a group of Cube Fighters and fire his rail-guns, reducing them into scrap and any that tried to escape were caught in the claws or teeth of the Zoid, he then used his hybrid cannons to take out several Cube Fighters and a Seed Ship that tried to reinforce it's comrades.
 
Scott used his Schneider's blades to rip and tear into unsuspecting Cube Fighters, the assault thins their ranks and even asteroids could not stop the blades of the Schneider in a fight as the gouges on the surface could attest to that, any Cube Fighter lucky enough to evade the blades, got ripped apart by the claws and teeth of the Liger.
 
Brandon might not be able to use his Liger's powerful speed and maneuverability, but that hardly mattered as he and his Zoid were still able to launch quick and punishing blows with the Zoid's guns, teeth and claws…the eldest brother looked very much at home here…unlike her who swore at the kind of battle-field she was in.
 
Meia gritted her teeth and her anger at all that was happening began to affect both her training and control as she neglected t watch her surroundings as she pursued the alien fighter as a squadron of Cube Fighters followed her, intend on taking her out.
 
However, they never got the chance to fire as Zarreke and Brandon came on the scene from above and asteroid and ripped into them all with a powerful lunge. The Cube Fighters caught in the attack never had a chance as they were shredded, and those not caught were torn apart by the Zoid's weaponry and Brandon's piloting skills.
 
As soon as that was done, he moved Zarreke next to the Dread Meia owned and got into contact with her.
 
“Meia! There's no way you can catch that thing alone, we have to combine our machines now…maybe the speed of the ZoidDread can…”
 
“Shut up Brandon! I don't need any help! Namely yours!!!”
 
The Dread accelerated leaving the surprised Zoid behind as both Organoid and pilot swore.
 
“Damn it Meia! We don't have time for this kind of thing!!! Get back here!!”
 
<< “That woman really must have a death wish…she'll get herself killed!!!” >>
 
The Zoid leaped over the incoming asteroid and ran on the surface and followed the Dread…but just in time to see the one thing no one wanted to see.
 
Meia's pursuit of her target was ended very abruptly as she flew over the asteroid that was before them, the alien fighter had turned around and was now aiming at her. The aqua-haired girl's eyes widened as she realized her error. The alien fighter fired and she at the last moment tried to dodge the attack…
 
But just barely as the shot fired slammed very close to the cockpit…
 
“MEIA!!!!”
 
The Zoid then used it's Ion Boosters and fired it's guns at the alien fighter, forcing it break away before it could finish the Dread off in one fell swoop. The Zoid then covered The wounded Dread as it leaked coolant and sparks.
 
Brandon used an uplink to his cameras to the video feed in the Dread to try and check on Meia…and hat she was not good at all…
 
“Zarreke! What's her status?!”
 
<< “She's barely conscious and has serious injuries, I can't sense the rest , but you can be sure of one thing…unless we get her to the medics for treatment…she may not survive this fight.” >>
 
Brandon was relieved to see his brothers and their Zoids make it on the scene as the two Zoids covered him after he told them about what happened to Meia. The eldest brother then directed his Zoid to bite on the Dread's wing and drag the fighter back to the Nirvana…he knew that Meia would be in a foul mood to know the kind of butchery his Liger's teeth were doing on her Dread's armor, but that was now longer a concern at this point.
 
“This is Brandon to the Nirvana…repeat, This is Brandon! Can you hear me?”
 
Buzam appeared on the screen of his Zoid's cockpit as she tried to maintain discipline and calm on the rest of the pirates, both outside of the battle-zone and in the ship itself.
 
“Go ahead!”
 
“We've got a critically wounded to treat in the medical bay ASAP…Meia's been hit and she's losing blood fast!”
 
That had a very visible effect on the sub-commander as she looked shocked.
 
“Meia's been hit?!”
 
*************
 
End of Flashback…
 
Ever since that happened, the Nirvana's Dread Squadrons were in complete disarray and were losing combat effectives and team-work was dropping very quickly. The brothers could see that the pirates relied too heavily on Meia to be their leader and without her skills, leadership traits, and her presence, the pirates were fighting not just against the pirates, but among themselves.
 
Brandon sighed as he maintained his focus as he and his brothers mounted a counter-strike to the enemy as they moved from one sector to another. They knew that they had to do something since at the rate of the break-down of discipline and focus on the pirates was speeding up.
 
Barnette's friend Jura had been placed in overall command of the Dreads, but the brothers were not very optimistic, granted Jura had potential as a leader, and was a capable Dread pilot, but she was now having a very difficult time coordinating her comrades in the defense of the Nirvana…considering the disarray of the Dread Squadrons, and the comm. chatter.
 
“This is not going well guys…any plans?” Scott asked as he and Rikera ripped apart several Cube Fighters to shreds.
 
Brandon then contacted Lance as he realized that as long as that alien fighter was in command the Harvesters would still have the upper hand in the whole battle they were fighting in. He couldn't combine with Meia since her Dread was out of it…but if you can't chase it…
 
“Lance, try and find Dita, combine with her and try and take out that fighter…as long as that thing's leading them, the Harvesters have us right where they want us to be!”
 
*************
 
In the Nirvana…
 
Duero and Dylan were busy tending to the wounded, but with most of the easier to handle cases placed in recovery…they now had to contend with the current case before them. The Dread Squadron leader, Meia Gisborn was in a seriously bad state when both medics were ordered by Magno to help in bringing her to the Medical Bay after they got word she had been severely injured and in critical condition.
 
And the estimation was correct…she had a fractured femur on the left leg, several broken ribs, lacerations, a severe head wound and a possible hairline fracture. That plus the amounts of blood she lost would have been disaster had the brothers not gotten there in time to get her back to the ship for medical treatment.
 
They had already removed her chest padding and also her flight suit, they didn't pay any attention to Meia's now naked form, included her breasts since they were on full doctor mode and were only concerned with healing and stabilizing her condition. They were so intent on this task that they failed to get the falling circlet off Meia's face and see the tears flowing down her face as she seemed to be slipping into her dreams.
 
“Mother…”
 
*************
 
The battle outside…
 
“Dread Team A! Use Alpha Formation! Team B…” Jura tried to think up of a next step but the situation was getting even more complicated as the fight grew…another difficulty that the pirates were facing, namely the Dread pilots was the fact that the debris was had also messed with their ability to signal and detect each other…resulting in mixed communication signals and friendly fire incidents as some Dreads ended up hitting or being by their comrades…resulting in even more mix-ups and confusion.
 
Buzam and Magno were able to tap into communications and listen in on the various things happening outside of the ship as the shields continued to hold off the attacks as best they could. Bart had originally requested permission to flee, but the bridge officers naturally placed that idea in the incinerator as they glared at the cowardly cadet. As they listened in the various communiqués…the chaos of the entire battle was evident in the voices of the pilots.
 
“Where is everyone?!”
 
“Who's in charge of D Team?!”
 
“I can't get Gasco's order!!!”
 
“Ahhh!!! Why are you shooting at ME?!”
 
“Help! I've been hit!!!”
 
“Jura! The whole formation you ordered is making things worse!!! Do something!!!”
 
“I know! I know! Give me a minute will you?!”
 
“At the rate this fight is going…we're lucky to even get one!!!”
 
“Argh!!!”
 
It wasn't just the Dread pilots and the squadrons though, even the Engineering Bay and the Register were feeling the stress…as the crews began to make mistakes and orders were getting messed up. Parfait managed tog et everyone in her staff to calm down, while Gascogne managed quite well to calm her girls.
 
“Easy Girls…what's our motto here again?”
 
The girls all smiled and replied.
 
“Smile! Smile!”
 
“Good, keep you're cool, no sense losing your cool and making it worse.”
 
“Yes!”
 
Magno and Buzam had their minds on the entire situation with their pilots as the calls kept coming in, and there they realized a very serious flaw in their plans and stratagems and that was the lack of a capable leader for the Dread pilots should Meia ever be incapacitated.
 
“This was our fault…we relied on Meia too much and in doing so we never got Jura or anyone else trained well enough to take her place in case of emergencies such as what had just happened.”
 
The silver haired and bronze skinned woman said as she listened into the chaos of the whole situation.
 
Not entirely ours Buzam, it's because she wouldn't let us try…she always wanted to do things herself ever since she joined the pirates, and no matter what happened…she always wanted to do things until she could no longer do them.”
 
<Meia…don't give up now…we still need you here, don't give up now.> The elder woman said silently, while offering a prayer to her world's Goddesses for Meia's safe return.
 
Ironically enough, the only group that were not on panic mode were none other than Brandon and his siblings. Their five years of fighting on the ground and in space had made them very capable in fire-fights like this one, plus their discipline, team work, and experience won through.
 
Lance finally arrived to where Dita was and contacted her.
 
“Hey Dita! We need to combine now…get ready!”
 
The redhead was a bit startled, namely by the fact that this was their first time Lance willingly combined his Liger with her Dread.
 
“Uh…okay!”
 
Both Dread and Liger combined and out came ZoidDread Dita, the Liger moved about and tracked the alien fighter and the canons began to warm up and power flowed into the weapons, both Dita and Lance began to focus their ZoidDread's targeting computer and lock-on systems…and waited…
 
And waited…
 
And waited…
 
And then…they ducked…
 
In truth the whole ZoidDread had to duck as another asteroid careened at them and nearly tore into them. The ZoidDread growled in disappointment and frustration, just like Lance was also feeling a slightly bit on the edge…he and Dita nearly had a perfect lock on and use their more powerful cannons…but the entire environment around them was too inhibitive.
 
“Darn it! The entire asteroid field is making it hard as hell to lock on the damned fighter and taking it out…not to mention it's using the asteroids themselves like shields!”
 
Brandon then contacted his youngest sibling.
 
“Any chance you can destroy the entire area to flush him out?”
 
Lance shook his head.
 
“Bad idea brother, the debris might hit the Dreads and the ship…plus it would make things even more complicated at this point, the only chance we can have is if we…”
 
It was then that Jura's Dread flew next to the ZoidDread and Zarreke…however the blonde was not there to contribute any ideas. Her frustration at her failure as the second in command of the Dreads ate at her patience and she too hoped that the brothers could end this…and the result was enough to make her temper flare up as she got into contact with Lance in the ZoidDread.
 
“Nice going! You let that thing get away too! Was that the plan you men could come up with? Is that all you men are capable of doing or what?”
 
Lance was not in the mood to be needled and barded at by Jura and naturally he reacted in a heated tone, just as Kail roared in front of the Dread's cockpit.
 
“I don't see YOU coming up with a plan either! When YOU learn how to lead your own comrades better…then you can say something…until you do…back off!”
 
“Why you!!!”
 
Rikera then showed up as the Crimson Armored Zoid blocked it's brother Zoid and the Dread.
 
“Easy you two! We're on the same side here! We're not going to get anything done if we start arguing with one another!”
 
Jura glared at Scott and replied.
 
“Stay out of this!”
 
Lance however calmed down and agreed with his middle brother and guided the ZoidDread off to support the Dreads with it's weapons.
 
Jura was not about to let this slide and was about to say some more words, until Scott cut her off with a glare.
 
“Listen Jura…my brother has a point…until you get you're act together and lead you're fellow fighters better…you have no say in how he handles things.”
 
“I…I…I can't do this! I can't be…” Jura was on the verge of tears and moved her Dread back away from the fight and made a beeline for the Nirvana.
 
Scott shook his head as he followed Jura…making sure the blonde didn't get ambushed by the Harvesters, the last thing they needed at this point was Jura incapacitated like Meia…even she didn't have the same level of skill as Meia did, she had her own talents, that much Scott could tell. But since she seemed to have never led the Dreads before, she didn't develop any leadership experience since the pirates relied too much on Meia to lead them into battle, and this had stunted Jura's chances to learn how to be a leader, this also made her easy to making the wrong calls and decisions.
 
He may not show it, but the one thing he didn't like seeing was a woman being reduced to tears when she could not be as good as her comrades who were leaders…and the lashing she got from his youngest brother certainly didn't help matters in the very least.
 
*************
 
In the Nirvana's Medical Bay…
 
Meia however was not aware of just how difficult the situation had become for her fellow pirates…she was now dealing with the past life she once had…long before she was part of the crew of the Nirvana.
 
In her memories… years before she was where she was now…she had a different life…she was the daughter of two famous scientists, both her Ohma and Fahma were dedicated in improving the state of living conditions in their sector of Megele and their own colony. She recalled the day she was born, and when she was growing up, she recalled all the happy times she had, going to school, and being with her parents when they were being interviewed by other women who kept track of their work.
 
She had a good life, famous as the only daughter of two renowned scientists. She also recalled the time she got the very same circlet she wore as a gift from her Ohma one Christmas day and she wore it for a very long time.
 
But there were fights between her parents and she recalled the pain those brought on, and the words she had with both her Ohma and her Fahma exchanged. Those were not very pleasant to her…but they were there…
 
All that changed however…
 
Dylan was busy working with the incoming patients along with Paiway…but both realized that this was a very dangerous situation involving Meia. The injuries had been healed, however a fragment of crystal from her Dread had been able to lodge itself into her skull and was giving off some energy emissions that were merging slightly with Meia's brainwave patterns, while not harmful as of now…this would result in Meia being unable to recover…however, removing it by conventional methods was out of the question since it would injure Meia's already fragile mental state.
 
Duero was on the case and was tying to come up with a workable solution to the whole situation, but until he could, the only thing they could do was keep Meia from slipping away into a comatose stage of become a vegetable. But losing Meia was not a viable or acceptable option in either case.
 
That was when Duero had an idea…but he needed help from an outsider in the medical field.
 
“Paiway!”
 
“Yes?”
 
“Tell Parfait to get here as quickly as she can…we will need her help if we need to help Meia before it is too late!”
 
The young nurse wasted no time and quickly got hold of the plucky head engineer.
 
*************
 
In Meia's mind…
 
The peace was never to last in her mind…one day horrible things began to happen all over the station, explosions and fires began to happen and new reports in their home said something horrible had happened during her Ohma's work. She recalled seeing her Ohma coming back home with a very fearful expression on her face as she told her and her Fahma to leave the station immediately. That was the last she ever saw her Ohma…
 
She recalled running to the evacuation center with her Fahma…and it was there that she developed her fear of dark and closed spaces…her Fahma pushed her ahead with all the other children, who's own parents did the same since there were not enough escape pods to fill all the survivors, so only the daughters of the women would survive. She recalled reaching out and begging her Fahma to come with her, to live together, but her Fahma refused…saying that she cannot go with her this time, she ad to stay here.
 
She recalled saying that she would stay then with her, but it was never meant to be as her Fahma told her that this was for the best…just as the hatch closed and she was plunged into darkness…this made her grow into fearing dark and closed spaces.
 
As soon as Parfait arrived in the Medical Bay, Duero outlined his strategy on removing the crystal shard in Meia's mind without resorting to dangerous surgery, however, even without surgery it would still be very risky either way…but they didn't have much in terms of option to begin with.
 
*************
 
In the Register…
 
The battle was still raging like mad outside as the reserve Dread Squadrons were now being sent out to hold the line, the younger pilots, some of them were members of the newly formed ground operations team went off in newly fueled and armed Dreads to maintain the defensive lines until the veterans were prepared to fight once their Dreads were now fully fueled, repaired and re-armed.
 
However, once certain Dread pilot was in physical or mental shape to be out there in the fight. Jura's spirit was crushed after her colossal blunder with the Dread Formations and she naturally retreated into her own shell as she sat down in a corner in the Register.
 
“I…I…I can't…replace…Meia!” The blonde said with sorrow and fear. She never had any opportunity to lead the Dreads, and her lack of experience had gotten the others in a dangerous mess.
 
“You're not expected to.”
 
Jura looked up and spotted Gascogne who looked at her with some sympathy as she explained something important to the depressed blonde pilot.
 
“You're not being asked to lead the Dreads the way Meia does Jura, nobody expects you to lead them in the same fashion, you have to lead them in your own way and we will always be right beside you to help out.”
 
“Good point Miss Gascogne.”
 
The women turned to spot Lance and his other brother, Scott on the screens.
 
“Look, I want to apologize for the verbal lashing you got from me before. The stress is getting me too, but you didn't deserve that. I rather prefer to take out my enemies than those on my side. ”
 
Gascogne continued to speak as she consoled the blonde pilot.
 
“We're in this together and you need to do what you believe is the right thing and don't compare yourself to Meia or try to emulate her. Be yourself and do what you feel is right and lead.”
 
“That's true.” Scott said as well. “Neither my brothers or I had the desire to be leaders of the ground operations unit before, but we knew it had to be done for the good of the crew, we have our own skills and we train them in our own fashion, you also have the same potential, so don't worry if you're first attempt was not a successful one, get back up, dust off the dirt and try again until you succeed…nothing, whether success or experience is gained by giving up just because you made mistakes. You don't look at mistakes as the end of things, learn from them and grow.”
 
Brandon then showed up as well.
 
“We'll hold the line here until you and the others are ready to go back on the fight…don't give up and keep fighting Jura… and heed Scott' advice or else my middle brother here might start losing interest in you.”
 
Scott reacted with a both a look of embarrassment and a glare at his eldest brother. Lance also grinned at the teasing look Brandon gave Scott.
 
“Aw shut up bro! Now's not the time for this sort of thing!!!”
 
Really…you acted like you're really friendly with…”
 
“Can it already!!!”
 
Scott said with a blush…making even Gascogne laugh…and even Jura, despite her tears began to smile at the look of embarrassment on the middle sibling's face…he looked somewhat…nice when he blushed.
 
She thought about what the brothers said as they signed off…later, the blonde got off the floor and began to make some plans when she and the rest of her squadrons would be back in the game.
 
*************
 
In the Medical Bay…
 
“Do you really think this will work?”
 
Paiway asked nervously along with Parfait as the two women looked at the machine that she had built with her spare parts and according to Duero and Dylan's specifications. The device was designed to create a harmonic energy pulse that could create enough energy to destroy the fragment of Paeksis crystal that was in Meia's mind…however it had several dangerous complications.
 
The first was that in order to do this they would have to cause Meia more pain, both physically and mentally, since the energy would affect her body and mind simultaneously, and in turn injure her, but also stop her from going into a comatose state and also allow her to regain consciousness now that her wounds were healed…however, should it fail then her mind would be shattered and even if she did recover and the device failed to remove the crystal and cause further mental damage and trauma, along with flat lining her entirely…she would be either dead or in a vegetative state for the rest of her life should she not die.
 
“Honestly…we don't know…but if nothing is done to save her now…then we will lose her anyway.” Duero responded as he placed the device close to Meia's head while Dylan placed on the connectors with their adhesive tabs on the young woman's forehead.
 
“But what if it goes wrong?! We can't lose Meia!” The young girl said with tears threatening to flow down her face.
 
“If we do nothing…then we lose her anyway.” Dylan replied as he checked her vital stats.
 
“But we can't…!!!”
 
“Let them do it Paiway…”
 
The group turned to see Magno's face on the monitor, she looked tired and care-worn, making her look more aged than her normal years would show.
 
“But…”
 
“We have to trust them Paiway…”
 
Paiway still didn't like the idea of leaving Meia to the care of both Duero and Dylan since she was not sure they knew what they were doing, and they themselves admitted that there was a chance their plan would fail…but realizing that it was their only remaining option to save Meia…she stepped aside and silenced her protests.
 
*************
 
In Meia's mind…
 
She now saw herself after the events that happened after she had been rescued from the pod after it was found. The disaster had left many lives ruined, and hers was the most affected. Since the disaster was placed on the shoulders of her Ohma, she was now looked upon with ridicule and distrust, many young women her age called her nothing but rabble and trash, she once had the respect and understanding of others, but ever since the failure and disaster, her life had been ripped apart as she struggled to survive in the streets, stealing what food she could to live…in the streets she hid her appearance but the ones on the street knew her enough to know who she was and she could hear their whispers and ridicule.
 
“That's her…the one from the news…”
 
“Hah! She's not so popular now is she?”
 
“She's nothing but trash now!”
 
“Good riddance…her Ohma and Fahma were failures anyway.”
 
She recalled joining street gangs and fighting with those she met that ridiculed her, that was how she learned how to fight in hand to hand combat, she used her anger, and skills to carve a living for herself in the mean streets, she recalled drinking and eating to her heart's content due to the fights she had own…but in the silence when she was by herself she recalled the pits of despair and hopelessness she had in her mind…
 
The dreams and hopes she once had were now gone and the only goal she now had in her life…was to end it forever.
 
*************
 
Outside of the Nirvana…
 
The explosions coming from the enemy forces' weaponry continued to fill the void of space as the pirates still maintained their lines, but they were still out maneuvered by the alien fighter in the lead of the strike force of the Harvesters. With no way to attack properly the target due to the debris that filled the area, the Dreads were forced to fight in the defensive to prevent more damage from occurring to the ship…the shields were steadily being broken down by a wave of assault fire from the Cube Fighters and the alien fighter unit that darted in and out of the firing zone…using it's beam weapons to make things more of a head-ache for the pirates…and the Reinhart siblings.
 
The youngest brother gave a snarl of controlled anger as the fighter attacked the ZoidDread he and Dita piloted and darted away since it's weapons were not enough to damage the armor plating of both the Zoid's CAS Armor and the Dread plating.
 
“That cowardly idiot is really starting to get on my nerves.”
 
The younger brother had just about enough of that unit and was about to plan something important when he noted the posture of his fellow ZoidDread operator, having been around women in his world and having grown up with them, unlike the men of Talark, the young man figured out that she was very close to tears and this was the last thing he wanted to see at this point and time.
 
“Hey…how are you holding up?”
 
Dita sobbed a bit and looked at Lance with sad eyes as she knew abut what had happened to Meia before and she was really depressed.
 
“I'm scared…really scared Mr. Alien…will we…will we be all right?”
 
Lance didn't like the look Dita had on her face…it seriously didn't suit the bubbly redhead to be this withdrawn. Despite her somewhat annoying antics…he didn't find it very appeared to see her like that.
 
“Don't be scared…listen, we are going to find a way out of this mess and we're going to be fine…you can trust me on that.”
 
“But what about Leader? What about Meia? She's not here and we're really in a bad way…”
 
“Listen…I may not know Meia very well and we don't see eye to eye on some things…but I can say that she will not like you being so depressed about things right now…she'll be all right, You have to trust Duero and Dylan…they know what they have to do and they need out help to do what they can to save Meia. We have to protect the Medical Bay and the ship so we can protect not just Meia, but the others as well. We will not give up here and we will win this battle, you have my word on that.”
 
Dita sniffled and wiped her tears away with a smile.
 
“Thank you Mr. Alien!”
 
Lance couldn't help but sigh and speak with a pained tone at Dita with a look of exasperation.
 
“How many times do I have to tell you…my name is NOT Mr. Alien?!”
 
That was when Jura's voice came on the comm.-channels to everyone and she seemed a lot more confident now and less depressed, namely from the way she began to give the order of operations to the rest of the Dreads.
 
“All Dread pilots! Begin changing you're machines energy frequencies for both energy shields and beam weapons, that will minimize the chance of friendly fire.”
 
“Good choice…that at least will cut down the risk of the Dreads hitting each other”
 
Lance nodded in agreement with Brandon's assessment, but this would still not be enough, the fact that their beam weapons were not attuned to the frequencies of the Dreads' shields and weapons meant that they were the highest risk of committing friendly fire. So the only chance they would have is to make an assault that would wipe out the enemy in one fell strike, and prevent the fast moving alien fighter from doing the usual run away and strike back routine.
 
That was when Lance had a rather interesting idea…if the Harvesters wanted to make an all out assault…they might as well let come in…with wide open arms…
 
He quickly contacted his brothers and all three of them considered Lance's idea…along with the Organoid Cores of their Liger ZERO Zoids. The others thought that this was going to seriously require precise timing, and fortunately for them…they had just the right types of weapons for this kind of a plan…they only hoped that it was going to work…they only had one shot to get this all right.
 
*************
 
On the bridge…
 
Magno gave a sigh as more bad news came to the bridge. The aft section of the ship's arm had just suffered more damage and the ships' energy shields were beginning to reach level 4, once that level of shielding gave out, then they would be totally helpless in an attack…and now it seemed that the Harvesters would be coming back with one final assault…things were very grim now.
 
That was when Lance came in the screen with a grin on his face.
 
“I have a plan that just might work on how we can finally take those annoying enemies of ours in one fell swoop.”
 
The elder woman looked at the youngest of the siblings with a very curious look on her face. The woman was not yet aware of just exactly what the youngest brother had in mind so she was naturally rather curious since there seemed to be nearly no alternative to the mess they were in.
 
“What exactly do you boys have in mind? A suicide mission?”
 
“Not in the least Captain…we're going to let them come to us instead of wasting time chasing them.”
 
“What?”
 
Jura then came on the screen.
 
“You guys can't be serious!!! We're supposed to keep them AWAY from the Nirvana…not let them come close enough to attack us!”
 
Brandon cut in. “That's not what we meant Jura…we let them come closer…and closer…and closer…”
 
“Until they walk right into our arms…or in Zoid speak, our claws and teeth. Just like a certain snake would lie and wait, and let it's enemies get closer, take little bites of it, and not move, and then when it's foes attack…it strikes when they least expect it.” Scott finished with a grin.
 
Magno nodded as she saw where the plan was heading to.
 
“We use ourselves as the bait to lure them into the trap and then when they are in the right range we pounce on them like a storm. How do you plan on doing that…even with all the Dreads, we don't have enough fire-power for that, even you're Zoids have limited firepower.”
 
“True…but we do have OTHER machines in our arsenals.”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“Let's just say that if this works…the Harvesters are about to become meat to the wolves in dinner time. We need to get our Zoid pilots into the other Zoids we have in our arsenals…those are just perfect for the task at hand…and the plan in mind.”
 
Magno thought about it and seeing the seriousness of the brothers' expressions told her that this would be the only option they have, and seeing that time was soon going to be against them, she agreed.
 
“Estimated time of the Harvester attack?” She asked her bridge crew as they monitored the fight.
 
“We have several minutes Captain…maybe five or eight minutes.” Buzam answered.
 
“What do you need?”
 
“We need to arm up the Dreads with as much heavy missiles that you can spare but not inhibit their mobility and, have them pack more power to their beam weapons. Jura and the other Dread pilots will need to follow our mark to unleash every weapon on the specified target sectors so we have maximum range coverage. Our Zoid squadron should be positioned as quickly as possible to these designated locations and use the asteroids as cover.”
 
Barnette appeared and shouted.
 
“Hold it! The Dreads are not part of you're group here!?!?! Why do we have to agree with this plan of yours anyway?!”
 
“Either we use this plan or we're all dead, take you're pick.”
 
Magno was silent for only a few moments and then gave her decision.
 
“You have my permission.” She then turned and called Buzam.
 
“BC! Have Gascogne refit all the Dreads with our heavy missiles and have them upgrade the power converters of their beam weapons immediately!”
 
Buzam nodded and placed forward the order to the Register…she too had some doubts but knew that at this point in time, they had no other options.
 
*************
 
Duero and Dylan went ahead and prayed that their plan would work as the device began to hum with energy as it was charged up, Meia still was stable but her brain-wave patterns were still helpful…beside the two medic, Paiway and Parfait could also do nothing but hope as they watched.
 
Meia then recalled the spiral of her life, until the day came that she met three women who gave her a choice…to die without a purpose…or to die for something. She recalled looking up and saw the Captain Magno Vivian, Buzam, and Gascogne….ever since that day she now was the best Dread pilot in the pirate group…and now she wondered just what else she could do in this life.
 
*************
 
The Dreads had now been re-armed and out of the Nirvana the other Zoids that the three brothers had said were perfect for the job. The bands of Zoids were of several types…
 
One was a massive gorilla like Zoid with several powerful looking weapons mounted on the back…and it was armed to the teeth with large amounts of missiles. The women were shocked to see this Zoid as it lumbered out and was now assigned for them to use…their distaste for it's appearance was very obvious, but considering their choice of options, they didn't waste time complaining s they boarded the Zoids and they followed the directions handed to them by the three siblings.
 
The other resembled a massive lizard that stood it's hind legs and had a nasty row teeth and very big claws and a large tail. It was covered with heavy armor and carried a slew of powerful guns, both heavy solid projectile guns, and a large number of laser and beam cannons. The sheer look of being a dinosaur was enough for the women in the Dreads and the Nirvana to know that despite it's looks it was machine that they would have to be foolish to look down upon. The Zoid types also moved to designated positions near the debris and the Nirvana.
 
The next was a powerful bull-like Zoid with wide horns and a massive array of beam artillery mortars, solid cannons and artillery cannons, those appeared to the only ranged weapon system possessed by the bull-like Zoids as they began to take combat positions.
 
As the Zoids were now in position…the brothers began a counter on the time it would take for the Harvester forces to launch their attack. They planned to let the enemy come close enough to walk right into a massive weapon barrage, with Lance and Dita in their ZoidDread being the first to open fire. The Iron Kongs, the Gojulas, and the Dibisons would unleash a massive barrage, along with the Dreads with their beam cannons and their missiles. They also were to target not just the Harvester Forces, but the asteroids as well…to increase the numbers of debris and crush the remainder of the Harvesters as they closed in.
 
“All right...Jura, Barnette, we'll give the signal to our Zoid teams to open fire…in less than a second after they fire…have all the Dreads open up and don't let up.”
 
Lance said as he made some last minute calculations and ran the simulation once more and made sure to check for any slip ups. He knew that no plan, no matter how well thought out was not going to always win first off the bat, but this was the only plan they could come up with.
 
Since he was the one who came up with the plan, he had to take point…his brothers were on the leadership ladder as they took command of the Zoid teams, to ensure that they fired on his command at the exact moment. As soon as he got the signal they were ready, the bridge crew told them that they now detected the signals of the Harvesters, showing that the forces of their enemy was now ready to attack them.
 
“All right, all squadrons check in…it's time.”
 
The first responses to his call came from the Zoid squadrons, as his eldest siblings checked the position and weapon readiness of their respective squadrons, and allowed their second in command to call it out.
 
“Team Alpha Ready!”
 
“Team Bravo Ready!”
 
After some initial reluctance…the Dread teams called out their own responses.
 
“A Team Ready!”
 
“B Team Ready!”
 
“C Team Ready!”
 
“D Team Ready!”
 
Jura then called in as she too readied her own Dread for the fight that they were all about to get themselves into. From her tone and volume…the youngest brother knew that she was ready for this…and it was kind of surprising to hear that the flighty blonde lady speak now when she set her mind to it…she sounded very strong in both thought and action.
 
“All Dreads are ready Lance, say the word and we'll do what you ask of us.”
 
That was when another voice came on the comm. system.
 
“I hope this plan of yours works…if it doesn't… then I will hold and you're brothers very much responsible for the disaster we'll be in!”
 
Barnette's tone showed her still lingering and very much active distrust, hatred, and wariness of men in general. The brothers hoped that this would soon disappear since the last thing the entire crew needed was a break down in the alliance between the men and women on the Nirvana with all the fighting they have to do.
 
“If it comes to that, why not? All right, everyone, wait until they are in range and hold you're positions…on the count of zero…unleash all you're firepower.”
 
In that same moment, the Harvesters led the charge and were now attacking the Nirvana. They were now being tracked by both the Nirvana crew and Lance as he activated the count down.
 
“Ten…”
 
The Harvesters began to unleash their fire-power on the Dreads, and the three Liger Zero Zoids, unaware of the plan and the hidden Zoids that were waiting for them to draw ever closer. The barrier of the Nirvana took more of the damage, and was still holding on…though barely.
 
“Nine…eight…seven…”
 
The barrage continued…until the barriers could take no more of the attacks and fell down, exposing the ship to the attacks of the alien Harvesters, and took several direct hits on areas on the ship. Bart screamed in pan and asked when will the plan start as he tried not to lose and get himself killed, along with the others.
 
“six…five…four…”
 
In the same moment as the plan, the desperate plan to save Meia's life reached it's final stage as she screamed as the device that could save her life was activated. She struggled and tried to escape as arcs of energy covered her upper form for a few minutes, and her actions and screams made everyone in the Medical Bay tense up in worry and fear. After a minute and a half of the treatment, her body stiffened up and fell back on the bed…her life-signs were all in the one setting no medic ever wanted to hear…a flat-line.
 
“MEIA!!!” Both Parfait and Paiway screamed.
 
“I can't take anymore of this!” Dita cried out as she saw the damage that was beginning to affect even the powerful armor skin of the ZoidDread that she and Lance piloted…some of the other women also complained briefly as they too managed to take some hits.
 
Lance however was not deterred as he continued to track the Harvesters while placing a calming hold on Dita's shoulder and smiled at her. The redhead couldn't help but feel safe and…something else…warm as she felt Lance's non-verbal signal to her that everything will be fine. He then continued with the count-down.
 
“Three…two…”
 
The Harvesters had sped up their attack and charged head on…expecting to have the Nirvana and the pirates in their grasp…unaware of the fact that they had just walked right into the kill-zone!!!
 
“one…OPEN FIRE!!!!!”
 
The ZoidDread was the first to unleash the full might of it's weapons as the energy blades fused with the cannons and the weapons charged up with massive amounts of pure energy.
 
“NOVA STORM!!!!”
 
The massive barrage of both beam and missile fire ripped into the Harvester ranks and at that same instant, the Iron Kongs, Dibisons, and Gojulas attacked, firing the full power of their arsenals…and after that…merely a second, the Dreads unleashed their own barrage.
 
The end result was a wave of weaponry that would scare the living daylights of anyone or anything caught in the path as there were missiles, solid rounds, and energy rounds everywhere, the storm ripped into the Harvesters and the first wave was instantly torn apart…the second and third groups fared little better. The survivors of the Harvester's attempted strike retreated, along with the high speed fighter…
 
However, Lance's plan to have a portion of the ambush force fire at the asteroids had worked. The massive barrages from the Dreads, and Zoids ripped into the space rock fields and they were blown apart…the explosions and the moving debris slammed into the remaining asteroids, and like dominos, the asteroids began smashing into each other…and crushed anything in their way…namely the Harvesters that tried to use the asteroids as shields.
 
Seed Ships were either ripped apart or crushed into nothing gouged and torn metal as they exploded, Cube Fighters fared little better as they were crushed flat by the moving debris or ripped apart by the small but faster moving fragments. Even the ultra-fast alien fighter was consumed as it was never designed to dodge multiple attacks all at once in succession.
 
Lance's plan had worked…
 
The pirates in the ship, the Zoids, and the Dreads could not believe their good fortune and the plan they once thought was insane had really worked. The battle had been won and they were the victors.
 
Brandon and Scott listened to the cheers and merely smiled as they contacted both Dita and Lance. They were highly amused to see Lance blushing to the point his face's color was like that of Dita's hair…or that would have been partially it since Dita had turned and impulsively glomped on their sibling and snuggled up to him with a smile on her face.
 
“Good work you two! And bro…you want us to prepare you two a…”
 
Lance mouthed the words `Shut up!' as he squirmed uncomfortably at the feel of Dita's slender, and buxom form on his own.
 
*************
 
The bridge…
 
“I can't believe his plan worked!” Buzam said with wonder as the bridge crew scanned the area as the explosions died down and reported no sign of the Harvesters…they had been totally wiped out…and the asteroid field had been cleared of the largest debris…making for safe passage.
 
“It did…they really thought this through. I guess we'll have one heck of a celebration to plan later.” Magno said with a smile, but she then got off her chair and made her way to the Medical Bay.
 
*************
 
Meia felt a calm in her that seemed so right, there was no pain, there was no fear, no nightmares…nothing…nothing but blackness and silence…she was away from all the pain in her life…she could just stay here and end it all.
 
“Meia…please don't give up on life…that is not like my little girl to be giving up now.”
 
The voice was very easy for the shocked woman to recognize…even if it had been many years since she heard the gentle, mature, and kind voice…she knew instantly who called her.
 
“Mother? MOTHER?!”
 
Meia then looked about and then the blackness was replaced with the green fields she ran in when she was still just a young girl…when things were not as painful and as dark as they were after the disaster that took her and her Ohma. She then turned to see her Fahma in a white sleeveless sundress and her favorite hat with a blue ribbon on it.
 
Meia tried to run to her, and she found that she could move quickly, just like she would be able to do on the ground, or anywhere else…she didn't waste time in figuring out the situation she was in…all she cared about was reaching her mother.
 
As she reached her mother, she tried to hug her and found that this was no ordinary vision as she could feel her mother…the gentle woman smiled at her daughter and hugged her as well…making Meia break down, gone was the tough, strong, proud, feisty, independent, and focused Dread Squadron Leader, and the one who butted heads constantly with the eldest of the Reinhart siblings…but the young and vulnerable woman she was before all that had happened…she cried tears and swore never to let go of her Fahma.
 
Meia's mother chuckled warmly and spoke to her daughter.
 
“Meia…I know how happy you are to see me…and I am just as happy to finally hold you again…but I cannot remain here forever.”
 
“Please! Don't leave me alone here! I…please let me stay with you… let me join you”
 
“No Meia…this place is not for one who still lives…no matter how much I also wish you to be with me…there is so much left for you to live for.”
 
Meia cried harder and looked at her mother with tear filled eyes.
 
“What else is there for me in being alive mother? I have seen so many horrible things, I have been struggling for so long, and all the pain I have in me ever since you died. I don't have anything left to live for.”
 
“Do you? There are many people in you're who will be sad to see you give up and pass away now? What of them? Will you leave them alone?”
 
The field changed into images of the people on the ship, Meia saw their faces and recalled their parts in the life she had lived in after she had joined the pirates. Dita, Jura, Captain Magno, Buzam, Gascogne, Paiway, Parfait…She then recalled the times she had worked with them and saw them as they worked with her…and she felt…whole as if the holes she had in her soul were filled up.
 
Even the men on the ship were present. She saw Bart an his idiotic expressions, Duero on when he spoke to her about what she could do to help deal with the dangers of her claustrophobia, Dylan who spoke seriously about what she should not do in order to not endanger herself and others, and when the medic tended to her injuries…she then saw the three brothers, Lance when he was dealing with Dita's energetic nature and her affectionate curiosity, but also how cheerful and strong he was in the presence of his siblings, Scott with his calm demeanor, unless Jura was scheming to combine with him, in which he was very much very careful, his smirk and teasing manner when he and his brother Brandon would tease their youngest brother…and Brandon himself, on his focused and serious personality, his tough nature, courage and determination to protect his brothers…as she recalled the very heated confrontation between the two of them.
 
Meia then faced her mother who smiled warmly and wiped away her tears with her hand and her mother spoke to her.
 
“Life is always mixed with pain, with sadness, and more…but that does not mean all of it is bad Meia…there is faith, happiness, friendship, forgiveness, trust, compassion…love. I know that you still hurt inside and I wish that I was with you the day that I placed you in that capsule…but I knew that a future waited for you…no matter what, I want you to never forget that as a living person, you have every right and the power to make your own way n the world. So the choice is yours Meia.”
 
“What choice mother?”
 
The green fields changed into a dark field that stretched for miles and on one side was a small speck of light.
 
“The choice of you're path in life…will you walk into the darkness of death, become free of pain, fear, and sadness…but be forever in shadow and no chance to change and make your own path in the universe? Or will you walk into the light of life…full of pain, fear, sadness…but be in the light and be free to make your own way and forge your own future? I cannot make that choice for you Meia, you alone can make that choice…you are so strong now…more than I hoped and dreamed of you to become.”
 
Meia looked at her mother and cried.
 
“Will I see you again? Or will you leave me alone again?”
 
Her mother smiled warmly and placed her right hand on Meia's heart and replied with motherly affection and warmth.
 
“I am always with you Meia…even if now I will no longer be with you, I am here…in you're heart as long as you feel life and never forget me. Whatever choice you make…I will always be with you.”
 
Meia wiped away her tears and looked at her choice…spend it in the darkness and free of all suffering, but be denied a future…or to walk into the light and have more suffering, but have a future and a chance for happiness as long as she lived and remained strong.
 
Meia made her choice…
 
*************
 
Medical Bay…
 
Dylan nodded with a smile and a sigh of explosive relief as he read Meia's vital signs…and the monitors showed good heart beat and breathing rates, plus healthy scans and normal brain-wave activity.
 
“She's stabilizing…she should be waking up…”
 
“It's so bright in here…” Meia said weakly as she opened her green eyes and adjusted to the light of the Medical Bay.
 
“…right about now.” Duero finished…his own smile evident, both medics were relieved that their patient was recovering nicely.
 
Immediately a pair of very worries crew members appeared before the now recovered Dread Squadron Leader.
 
“You're back!” Paiway sobbed with tears in her eyes.
 
“We were so worried Meia! We though we lost you!” Parfait said…with tears in her own eyes.
 
Meia couldn't help but feel embarrassed by the display of relief and happiness in the young nurse and the chief engineer.
 
“Stop that, you two…wait…” Meia felt her face and panicked when she could not feel the circlet she wore on many times..
 
“Don't worry…it's still here.” Duero said as he showed Meia's most prized possession on a nearby table.
 
The medic then handed the item back to it's owner. “It must be very important to you for you to be concerned over it so much.”
 
Meia held the circlet and replied.
 
“Not in that way…in truth…it is a lesson.”
 
“Then I hope you learned something from it Meia…you gave us quite a scare.” Magno said gently as the aged female Captain smiled and walked over to the young woman.
 
Meia nodded and politely greeted the Captain. “Captain…how is the battle…did we?”
 
“Win? Yes…and it was due to the efforts of not just you're fellow pirates, but of Brandon and his siblings as well…they came up with the plan, or rather Brandon's youngest brother Lance came up with the plan that saved us from disaster.”
 
“Really?” Meia asked...a bit peeved that this was another debt her crew-members and comrades owed the Reinhart siblings…but she was happy to know that everything was all right.
 
“Yeah it was my brother's plan…and I guess you might already know who saved you from being killed by that high speed interceptor.” Brandon Reinhart said as he revealed himself to the still bed ridden Dread Squadron Leader. He was leaning on the wall with his arms on his chest in a patient look as he scrutinized the young woman.
“You rescued me…” Meia said evenly as she looked at Brandon.
 
The eldest sibling didn't say much as he uncrossed his arms and walked to the door, but not before he looked at Meia with what was relief in his eyes.
 
“You don't need to worry about it or say anything…and it's good to see you too Meia.”
 
*************
 
Later…
 
Meia was getting restless as she was in her room…on the nearby table was a plate of nearly finished food from the galley, that dish had been brought to her by Dita who was so happy to see her back on her feet.
 
As she decided to not stay in her room and got dressed…she looked at her circlet and…a picture of herself and her fahma and ohma…she looked hard at the image of herself and her family and sighed.
 
“Mother…I hope that I made the right choice…” The aqua-haired teen said silently to herself as she walked out of the room.
 
As she arrived in the galley…the Dread Squadron pilots were there, along with the chosen Zoid pilots…and on the tables were large platters of food and bottles everywhere…she heard that it was quite the victory feast…and the young woman knew that they would be reeling from the results.
 
Normally she would be disappointed in the drop of discipline in her fellow Dread pilots and any of the crew that were really out of it…but tonight she allowed it…after all they deserved it, they won a terrible battle with great risks…and without her…
 
Oddly she didn't feel cheated of victory…she then spotted Lance and Scott, the middle brother was snoring a bit as he slept on the table with an empty plate near him, she then noticed the close proximity of a certain blonde companion of hers to the middle Reinhart sibling, along with Barnette who despite her sleepiness was watching over her companion. The youngest of the Zoid pilots was on another table...sleeping as well, with several plates nearby…and the sleeping redhead near him.
 
She wondered for a bit as to where the eldest of the Reinhart brothers were…he would have been celebrating with his brothers after the battle, but put that aside for now as she looked a small cotton table cover and used it as a makeshift blanket to cover her apprentice Dread pilot. She did the same to Jura and Barnette and thought about all that had happened today…and the weeks before.
 
“They contributed to the cooking and the women were eating as well…even if they were fighting just as hard…or more than us…Brandon and his siblings took the time to cook something for us all to celebrate with. They were tired…but they earned this break…they all did.”
 
“Where is he?” The young Dread leader asked as she wondered where Brandon was.
 
“He is in the Bio-Park…but he had his own round of celebration before he left…it is really nice to see.”
 
“Captain?”
 
“He is kind of a male version of you Meia…he can be just as strong willed, fearless, and tough as you Meia…but he does not hide his emotions when there is no need for him to do so. He leads with both heart, will and mind…and you know that he shows great loyalty to his brothers, as much as they do with him…and he cares for his squadron.”
 
Meia nodded as she recalled hearing that Brandon cooked for his Zoid pilots, and was not hard to approach.
 
“Meia…I think it is time you try and be honest about how you felt and not always hide from feelings and being with others.”
 
“Captain, what do you mean?”
 
“The weeks have been hard…and Brandon might have added to that, I heard and seen enough of the arguments between you two…but I think that you should open up a bit more…and maybe he would too…and as why…I can tell that he and his brothers have their own burdens to carry. I do not think they will speak of them to either me or the others…and I do not think I have the right to do so anyway. But it is time you got to knowing just who he really is
 
Meia thought about what the Captain said and wondered is she should do that.
 
*************
 
In the Bio-Park…
 
Brandon burped a bit as he sat on a nearby bench and listened to the sounds of the artificial river and the smells of the Park. He sighed a bit as he looked at the stars outside at the viewing port. He then took out a picture from his pocket…in the picture was his family…he and his brothers when they were still young, their respective Organoids with them and before they had fused with their Blade Ligers, and most al, their father and mother were still together and the two were the doting parents that Brandon knew and loved them to be.
 
For a moment, the strong demeanor of the eldest sibling faded and he seemed happy…and very much sad.
 
He put aside the picture and looked at the stars with a sad, yet hopeful expression.
 
<Mom…are you still out there? Are you alive; are you safe…are you looking for us too? I have so many questions and so little answers to them. I wish you were here…Lance misses you, Scott misses you…I miss you…no matter how long it takes…we'll find you…I only hope you are safe…Lance and Scott are fine, they are kind of getting used to being the target boards of affection by several girls...though the women do take some getting used to. It's really hard for us on this ship…it's really a problem being stuck in a ship where all the women…well not ALL of them, think we're the enemy of their world. And it's hard for us to get used to all this…we're being hunted by aliens that want our organs…and for Gods only knows what. I hope that you are somewhere safe so we can find you. I sometimes wonder if we all can keep doing this…but I won't give up…I won't…neither will Scott and Lance…>
 
Brandon's train of thought was interrupted as his battle hardened senses told him that someone was coming, he quickly turned…but his combat posture relaxed a bit as he gazed at his new visitor…
 
“You're up already Meia?” He asked as he relaxed himself more in the presence of the Dread pilot leader. He only hoped that she did not see him look like a lost and vulnerable child…he had been hardened by five years of constant struggle to let loose all of his emotions and feelings at once, he didn't need to break down in front of anyone…east of all his brothers, as much as they looked out for each other…he still had the big brother complex in him.
 
Meia had seen a slight glimpse of Brandon when he left his guard down and made his mental speech to his mother…though she knew nothing of it. And she recalled Magno's warning about not prodding too deeply at Brandon and his siblings about their past…but to get to know him more.
 
“Yes…Brandon, I want to talk about you saving me this day.”
 
“I suppose I should have expected that…what do you want to tell me?”
 
“I...I want to…thank you for saving me.”
 
Brandon expected Meia to say that he should have left her alone and she was going to berate him, and in turn he would give her another piece of his mind and tell her that she had more to live for than seeking out death…so naturally, the part of hearing her stay thank you to him for saving her…well… it was unexpected.
 
“You're…uh, welcome.”
 
“And…I want to…apologize, for being very…uh…harsh and…not listening. Like this day…I should have combined my Dread with you're Liger…instead of…chasing it on my own and nearly dying.”
 
Brandon couldn't help but wonder if he was talking to the real Meia Gisborn, but his senses told him that this woman before him was indeed the tough Dread pilot…he then smiled a bit, along with some humor. He could tell that admitting to such things was taxing on her pride…and he decided to let her know that he was very accepting of it.
 
“You're welcome on all counts Meia…to tell you the truth…you kind of surprised me with what you just did. I didn't expect you…doing the thank you and apologizing bit.”
 
Meia glared at him a bit and frowned.
 
Brandon realized he hit a nerve and gave an apology.
 
“I don't mean that in a bad or insulting way…it was kind of…well, nice…and, honestly it tells me that there's a kinder side to the tough, independents and strong minded Dread Squadron Leader. I kind of find it nice.”
 
Meia shook her head and sighed…but not before she looked at square in the eye.
 
“Don't think however that I'm going to forget that you still owe me a rematch between my Dread and you're Liger. I still say I can take you on.”
 
Brandon raised an eye-brow at that statement and glared back with his arms crossed in front of his chest.
 
“Really…as far as I recall on that note I had you in my Liger's jaws…”
 
“True…but I had my Dread's cannons aimed right at you're cockpit.”
 
“I'll concede to that Meia…but if we ever face each other again, I doubt you get the chance to try that again!”
 
“Care to test the truth of that statement Brandon Reinhart?” Meia replied with a glare…not an angry glare…but a glare of challenge.
 
Brandon followed through and glared at the shorter Dread pilot. “You are seriously asking for it aren't you?”
 
“What are YOU going to DO about it then?”
 
“Wouldn't YOU like to know?!”
 
Unknown to the bickering pair, a certain old woman and her second in command looked at them. Buzam hoped that this did not result in another dangerous face-off between the two pilots, though she actually looked forward to seeing another show of amazing piloting skill from the eldest Zoid pilot and their best Dread pilot.
 
Magno could not help but chuckle at the sight of the two arguing on the still hanging re-match between them.
 
<Not exactly what I had in mind…but at least they're not throwing punches at each other.>
 
*************
 
To be continued…
 
*************
 
Hi there! This is Brandon…well things seem to have eased up and that Harvester speed demon is gone.
 
Don't get too comfortable big brother, we've got a ground mission, and this will be the first time the ladies will taste land warfare …I hope they're ready.
 
Don't worry Lance…I think we all did a good enough job…considering the time spent.
 
That remains to be seen Scott… I just hope we don't get into another mess like the last time…what the heck is that?!
 
What bro…oh man!!! What the heck is that thing?!
 
Never mind…ALL ZOIDS! WEAPONS FREE!!! REPEAT WEAPONS FREE!!! TAKE IT AND THE REST OF THEM OUT!!!
 
Next time on ZoidDread…
 
Chapter 8- Battle Field Gauntlet! See you on the battlefield!
 
*************
 
The next chapter will be the first ground mission the pirates will be involved in as they will now be using Zoids in land warfare. As to what they will face from the army of the Harvesters, that they use in ground based organ harvesting operations…that is a secret!
 
See you there!!!