Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction / Vandread Fan Fiction ❯ ZoidDread ❯ Songfic 1 - Downtime ( Chapter 12 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

ZoidDread
 
Disclaimer: Zoids and VanDread are from two respective companies and have nothing in common, neither do I. I'm just a guy with a wild imagination and a lot of free time on my hands.
 
Songfic - Downtime
 
Bold: Lyrics
 
*************
 
The Nirvana was currently cruising along, still on it's way to the system where Tarak and Megele were located, the routine had now become a very relaxing one as there had been no encounters with the Harvesters for the past few days, and everyone took advantage of some down time.
 
Three young men were very much taking advantage of the down-time to tour the rest of the ship and find something to do, they had recently been in the Zoid Hanger and making the needed adjustments and routine checks to their Zoids, and so had their pilots, the brothers knew that sooner or later, they would have another ground mission, but for today, it was time to relax.
 
“Hmm…how much of the ship do we know about anyway?” Scott asked as they were busy pocking through the room they were currently in, the siblings have just decided to take to some usual exploration work, and since the women's section were somewhat off limits to the men, they decided to poke in the more unexplored areas of the ship.
 
“Apart from the female's side of the ship….nothing.” Brandon replied as he also looked through several other items, to see what they could find.
 
Lance however found something very interesting.
 
“Hey guys! This look familiar?” The youngest sibling said as he took out an object from a locker he had managed to open.
 
The brothers looked at what their youngest sibling had found, it was covered in dust and looked almost brand new, apparently no one had used this item in either a long time or had forgotten it, the chrome black finish on the amazingly un-rotten wooden frame was still glittering in the light despite the dust that accumulated…plus the strings appeared to be still strong and serviceable.
 
Scott whistled as the dust was removed to show the item in it's full form.
 
“An electric guitar…who'd have thought something like this was here?”
 
Brandon also smiled as he recalled seeing instruments like these back on Zi in shops, plus he did have experience with such instruments when he and his siblings were still back on Zi, having played a few times themselves, just for passing the time during break periods in the Academy, and when they could, just be regular guys when not getting into battles and just relaxing, though they could cook their own food and have a blast, a little music was certainly welcome…the sad part was, they didn't have any instruments in their Whale Kin and those that they had bought in their past times as travelling mercenary soldiers were lost. To find this old but very serviceable guitar was a very good sign indeed, and if they were lucky enough.
 
“Anything else back there brother?”
 
Lance shook his head for a moment and replied to his brother's inquiry.
 
“Not as far as I can see…there might be a bit more though, but we'll need to do some serious cleaning up to find anything worth using.”
 
Scott placed the guitar aside and smiled.
 
“Well…no time like the present, let's get to it!”
 
The brothers quickly poured their efforts and energies into finding any other instruments that were in the store room, it didn't take long for them to find a drum set and the drum-sticks to got with them, and also an old but very workable and useful light electronic piano that could be carried and mounted on tripod.
 
The items were no doubt used by bands on the long trips in the colony ship to provide some form of entertainment, and now the brothers decided to go and see if these could still be used. But due to them having not played instruments for quite a bit, it would take them some time to get used to using them again. The brothers however were very enthusiastic about finally finding some other form of entertainment, for the past few days, apart from playing cards with Gascogne (and losing on more than one instance), listening to reports, training, flying patrols, cooking, and the like, and for them…it was about time for some variety around the ship.
 
*************
 
In the men's quarters…
 
Duero was currently resting in the men's section of the ship and merely taking a break from his duties in the Medical Bay, while his friend Dylan was on duty alongside Paiway. Bart was currently on the bridge and busy training on how to use the ship's systems better, naturally the blonde navigator was under the watchful eye of both Buzam and Magno, and he had no choice to comply.
 
Hearing the foot-steps coming in, Duero turned his head while lying down and spotting Lance, Scott, and Brandon, normally he would decide to ask questions on certain matters concerning female culture and other intriguing matters with the siblings, due to their unique status and origins, however, they were currently carrying strange objects that he had never seen before.
 
“What are those?”
 
The siblings looked and saw Duero on his bunk and gave looks of apology.
 
“Sorry if we did something to wake you up Duero. As to what these are, these are instruments, musical instruments if I might add.” Brandon said with a grin as he took hold of the bass guitar and checked the strings a bit, happy to hear the sounds, telling him that the item was in perfect condition.
 
Duero was curious, he had heard about them and in truth, there had been instruments like them in his world, but they were not very attractive, there were drums of various sizes, trumpets as well, and a few others, however, most of the forms of music they had were military themed and were somewhat monotone, and the same military songs were always used, namely in celebrations and the birthdays of their world's leaders, and though he and Dylan didn't always share this view, both he and his life long friend were not very big fans of music.
 
“Do you know how to use them?” the young medic asked the three siblings, since he knew that they were not from Tarak and had a different way of seeing things. Though the brothers didn't openly speak of themselves, in other matters concerning women and co-gender issues, they were rather open about it, along with topics that helped him and Dylan try and work well with the women.
 
“Of course we do…the problem is that it's been quite a while since we got to do these things.” Lance replied as he checked to power pack for the portable piano. Once he was sure that there was enough power in the pack, he tested the keys, he then made some adjustments to the system to correct any possible mistakes in the system of the piano, and nodded in satisfaction as the tones were a lot better in terms of sound quality and form.
 
The brothers then spent some extra time in both tuning the instruments and making modifications, along with telling Duero about every nature and function of each instrument. As soon as they were done all three brothers took the instruments and looked for a place to do their musical work, having gotten the hang of their chosen items for playing.
 
*************
 
Later…
 
Dita was busy as were several of the other pirates, many of them took the time to relax a bit and enjoy the solitude and quiet as much as they could, for they didn't know just when the peace would be broken. Alongside her were Jura, Barnette, Meia, Buzam, and Magno, the elder woman hoping as well to enjoy some quiet.
 
They were surprised to see the young Reinharts carrying the instruments and the redhead was the one who rushed up to them and smiled warmly.
 
“What are you doing?”
 
Lance grinned as he set the piano's tripod.
 
“We're about to play some music.”
 
Dita was surprised and overjoyed, it seemed that she was about to see just what else the good alien brothers were talented at, the fact that they could cook was very impressive, but to know that they can play music too was certainly a surprise.
 
Jura looked a bit surprised and became curious, learning that the brothers were great cooks was a bit on eye-opener for the blonde since like Barnette she was very much set in the propaganda of her world, though not very deeply. She then thought that since the brothers were always saying they were never born on Tarak that they saw things differently, this must be the reason why the perky redhead hanged out with them a lot.
 
“You three can play music?” Magno asked, somewhat intrigued by the news.
 
“We can…why, what's so wrong about men being able to play music?” Scott asked in confusion.
 
“Men who can play music? That's a laugh!” Barnette replied as she looked disbelievingly at the three brothers and with a smirk.
 
“Why do you say that Barnette?” Brandon said calmly as he looked for the place to sit and prepare for the music he and his brothers could play.
 
“Take a look at the other men on the ship, they live on a very dusty and hot planet and no doubt have no musical instruments of their own. Not to mention the fact that as far as we have seen, they seem very dull and dreary. How can they know any music when any are played next to them? That's why men can't understand music the way we women do.”
 
Magno was about to interfere, since she felt that this would cause trouble, but decided to keep out of it for now, this seemed to be something that can be resolved quickly, and therefore she let it run it's course.
 
“Really now?” Lance asked with a raised eye-brow.
 
“Yes, that is the truth, care to be proven wrong?” Barnette said in a smug tone.
 
“Why not? I'll let you use the piano then.” The youngest brother had already set up the piano, so it hardly was a problem.
 
Barnette nodded and sat down and began to play on the instrument, and showed another side of her skills as she began to play the piano well. Like most of her female comrades, Barnette was familiar with the fine arts of life and thus was very good a musician as she was both a cook and Dread pilot.
 
A few minutes later, Barnette ended her performance with a sigh and a smug look at the three brothers who were very calm in their gaze.
 
“See? Now how can you top that?”
 
Jura then spoke out as she looked at Scott and his siblings.
 
“I have to agree with Barnette, I know that you three are not from Tarak, but I have to yet meet a man who can play instruments.”
 
Scott and his brothers grinned. “You already have.”
 
Barnette snorted and looked unconvinced at the three of them.
 
“Really? Then you three go ahead and prove it!”
 
“I want to see and hear you play Mr. Alien!” Dita chirped happily as she looked at the three of them.
 
“I must confess, I am rather curious if you three can actually play music myself.” Buzam replied.
 
“So am I…it's been quite a long time since I've hard a man sing a song, and trust me…I've lived a long time.” Magno said with a smile on her face.
 
Meia may not have said anything, but she was ready to see if the three men could prove that men could sing just as good as women. Plus this gave her the chance to learn more about the three brothers. Though she normally didn't do such things since she considered it to be a frivolous waste of time, she had to admit she was somewhat curious.
 
Barnette smiled as she reached for a nearby wall computer. She then activated the audio and video systems. Whatever horrible music the brothers would produce would be both seen and heard all over the ship, she was going to enjoy so much the looks of her fellow women being disgusted at the horrible sounds and she was going to like the way the three brothers would be seriously embarrassed.
 
Scott then spoke as he took over the use of his drum set.
 
“This is a song that…we happen to like and fits our…unique situation here rather well. And this is what we wish to happen someday, once we find the right path and the right people.”
 
However, she and the others were about to be in for the surprise of their lives as the brothers began to play their music. A strong, but upbeat and clear rhythm came from the brothers as the music began to filter in.
 
Then Brandon sang in a rich and pleasant voice.
 
I have often dreamed of a far off place
Where a hero's welcome, would be waiting for me
Where the crowds will cheer, when they see my face,
And a voice keeps saying, `This is where I'm meant to be'.
 
All three brothers then sang in a chorus, their voices melding perfectly into one.
 
I will be there someday, I can go the distance
I will find my way, if I can be strong.
I will know every mile, will be worth my while,
When I go the distance, I'll be right where I belong.
 
*************
 
In the Medical Bay…
 
“Is that who I think it is?” Dylan asked Duero as the two medics were busy working earlier when the music was heard over the comm. system. They were surprised to see and hear the brothers singing and playing instruments.
 
“It's them all right, though I didn't know they could sing like that.” Duero replied, amazed at the skill the brothers were showing.
 
“What are they doing? And what is all that sound?” Bart asked, totally confused at what he was witnessing, the young navigator had come to the room to rest up and let the Nirvana' auto-pilot do the work for a bit.
 
“I believe they are playing instruments, and the sound is music.” Duero replied sagely as he and his fellow Tarak men looked on at their male compatriots from Planet Zi.
 
Paiway and her frog puppet had their mouths open in shock as they saw men actually singing, and playing instruments.
 
*************
 
Scott then took over and sang clearly and skilfully.
 
Down an unknown road, to embrace my fate
Though the road may wander, it will lead me to,
And a thousand years, would be worth the wait
It might take a life time, but somehow I'll see it through.
 
In the Dread Hanger Bay and the Zoid Hanger…
 
All the female pilots couldn't help but find the music somewhat relaxing as they took a break from routine and sat down to listen. And for the female Zoid pilots, including their leaders, Kara, Mia, and Rin, they felt a strange but strong sense of pride at what they were hearing, especially since the commanders of their Zoid Squadron were doing the singing.
 
Jura was impressed, it seems that she now understood Dita's fascination with Lance and why she was with the brothers, there was always something new to learn about the three siblings.
 
*************
 
Lance was next…and he sang just as well as his brothers did.
 
And I won't look back, I can go the distance
And I'll stay on track, no, I won't accept defeat
It's an uphill slope, but I won't lose hope
Till I go the distance, and my journey is complete
 
Dita was happy as can be, she knew Mr. Alien and his brothers were talented, but never THIS talented.
 
Buzam herself was surprised, the three were talented indeed.
 
In the Engineering Section…
 
“Wow…for men, they are certainly good signers.” Parfet said in appreciation as she and her engineering crew listen on.
 
In the Register…
 
“Nice…now those three are really impressive.” Gascogne said with a smirk as she listened to the music with great interest.
 
*************
 
All three brothers then sang once more as one.
 
But to look beyond the glory is the hardest part
For a hero's strength is measured by his heart.
 
The brothers then played a great crescendo of sounds and beats, filling the air and making it come alive.
 
*************
 
As the crew held it's breath and listened to the three men singing, the brothers then sang what appeared to be the last parts of the song itself.
 
Like a shooting star, I will go the distance
I will search the world, I will face it's harms
I don't care how far, I can go the distance
Till I find my hero's welcome, waiting in you're arms
 
The three then began to wrap up the song gently and finished it with the last lines.
 
I will search the world, I will face it's harms
Till I find my hero's welcome, waiting in you're arms.
 
As the last parts of the musical instruments faded, all three brothers smiled as they recalled their times in both their lives on Zi, and then in their five year long odyssey in this new universe and dimension in search of their mother, and the song they had just made was a good way to interpret their journey in this universe.
 
The three of them placed aside the instruments and bowed to their audience and packed up the instruments, just in time for the three of them to hear the cheers and clapping of the pirates as they left the room.
 
Jura, Meia, Dita, Magno, and Buzam were happy, and Magno smiled greatly as she thought loudly to herself as she too heard the overwhelming cheers and shouts of applause from the comm. system of the whole ship…apparently she and the others in the room were not the only ones impressed by the show put on by the three.
 
“Looks like these youngsters have more talent than just combat and cooking. I wonder what else will they show us soon?”
 
Barnette didn't say a single word as she still looked on in shock, she had just been beaten and then some! The brothers then bowed to her and smiled sincerely as they walked away towards the storage room, to hide away the instruments once more.
 
It seemed that now the pirates were learning something even more entertaining and who knew what else would happen on their long journey through space back to both Tarak and Megele.
 
*************
 
To be continued…
 
*************
 
I chose the song `Go the Distance' from Michael Bolton since the symbolism to the siblings is very strong in their wanderings through the VanDread universe searching for not just their mother, but a new home as well.
 
Either way, I liked this one and hope to make the next chapter soon, and hope that more comments and reviews arrive.
 
See you later!
 
*************
 
Hi there, Brandon here…who would have thought Christmas was here already?
 
Yeah, nice time of the year, I guess we can help out in the preparations, after all, all work and no lay certainly makes life dull.
 
You said it Lance, I just hope the Harvesters decide not to go around and mess things up again.
 
Don't jinx it Scott.
 
Next time on ZoidDread- Chapter 11 - Timely Celebration…See you on the battle-field!!