Fan Fiction ❯ "The Care and Raising of Catgirls" by Dr. Kazuya Morisato ❯ What Are Catgirls? ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
THE CARE AND RAISING OF CATGIRLS BY DR. KAZUYA MORISATO © 2003 Craig "Black Seventeen" Norris

Preface: What Are Catgirls?

Thirty years ago, the secrets of the human genome were discovered. A sort of genetic atlas was devised, clearly mapping and cataloguing the function of every gene in the human body. Many medical advancements stemmed from this discovery, not the least among them the cures for many hereditary diseases such as sickle cell anemia, diabetes, and several forms of cancer. Once the human genome was dissected, it was not difficult to examine the genomes of other animals using a template. Being a student of behavioral sciences and not biology, I am not at liberty to delve into specifics. Suffice to say, however, that before long, the question of whether or not the genes of two or more species could be incorporated into each other was investigated. After several years of research, the scientific community was stunned by the birth of a chimpanzee that was partly composed of human DNA. Seeing that the holy grail of genetic research was within their grasp, scientists the world over increased their efforts dramatically. The resulting advancement in genetics led to the astounding, albeit controversial, creation of a nearly flawless marvel of genetic engineering: the catgirl. When the first viable example was provided to the public, the interest of nearly every citizen of the world was piqued like it never had been before. Originally the product of a massive experiment that tested the method of gene splicing coupled with artificial embryo culturing, the result spurred international demand for more genetic research, and it was not long before several other corporate and government entities made advancements towards the creation of similar projects. However, years later, demand remains highest for the original catgirl concept. The waiting list to receive one can be as long as five years, the cost skyrocketing sometimes into the millions of dollars. What are these creatures that have captivated mankind?
Historical examples of catgirls can be found as far back as circa 2900 B.C. with the ancient Egyptians worshipping the goddess Bast, who was pictorially represented first as having a lion's head, and then later as having the head of a domesticated feline. She came to represent maternity and fertility for the Egyptian people. Of course, cats in general were revered in Egyptian culture, so it is no surprise that a cross between them and our own species should be worshipped. However, ancient religion and legend contains a notable absence of catgirls for the most part, giving way to other such creatures as faeries, harpies, sirens, mermaids, and other entities that express femininity. So, with history conspicuously light on influence, why is it that the allure of catgirls has gripped our imaginations so tightly? Many theories abound on the subject, but I find that a sensible answer lies in examining the two basic components.
Firstly, there is the human female component. This aspect of catgirls makes it very easy for people to relate to them. After all, no matter how long her tail is, or how much fur she has, part of her is still human. They even exhibit many human traits, which makes this easier to see. Humans, being social animals at their core, cannot help but appreciate the company of another. This mindset was a driving force that led to the initial domestication of cats thousands of years ago. However, one ultimately desires for the company and acceptance of his or her own species, and a creature that is half human would undoubtedly hold at least some appeal to a complete human. Also inherent in any animal that has a human form is its sex appeal, a subject that has sparked much controversy concerning catgirls and, to a lesser extent, catboys and other hybrids. The implications of sexual relationships between catgirls and their owners will be addressed in later pages of this book.
The second half, the feline component, also relates back to the issue of companionship. Cats are viewed by a modicum of modern cultures as ideal pets for several reasons. They are not judgmental creatures, who require their owners to act a certain way or have certain physical traits to gain their acceptance, and as such offer unconditional love, an emotion that humans are often unable to express. They are naturally very clean animals, and take it upon themselves to keep themselves and their living area in at least a somewhat orderly fashion. Domestic cats are also very easygoing, a trait that many people seem to value in a companion. Though personalities vary, and a territorial instinct still exists, they can also be social towards their own kind as well as others. To have a companion with these characteristics that appears largely human is undeniably a large factor in their wide appeal.
Whether for the aforementioned reasons or for those that have not yet been expounded upon, catgirls have created a lasting impression on society that cannot be ignored. Legislation for catgirl ownership has been passed in nearly every developed country in the world. With courts firmly denying them classification as humans, catgirls sparked the growth of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals into a global entity, the NSPCA, with all of their funds still coming from private donation. Advancement in genetic research has been progressing faster than ever before, with companies racing to perfect the newest scientific miracle. Their creation has influenced the way we go about our everyday lives. For that reason, the catgirl, and the subsequent changes in research and society that resulted, may be considered one of the most revolutionary discoveries in the history of the human race.
Catgirls, at their core, are very decadent. Essentially, they have become a status symbol, with those who own them demonstrating that they have the financial security to obtain such an expensive pet. However, they have been described by many as being wonderful companions, especially for those with social ineptitudes that struggle to establish relationships. Compounding this appeal are testimonials from numerous couples and families who have touted the benefits of having a catgirl or catboy as a pet. They are said to integrate quickly into the family, and demonstrate intense loyalty towards their owners. For families, the catgirl is often preferred over the catboy due to the fact that female hybrids are often much less aggressive than males. Because of the catgirl's overwhelming popularity over catboys, the catgirl will be used as the example throughout this book, though the traits of these hybrids are not gender specific.
The majority of a catgirl's physiological makeup is human; the exact ratio is, of course, dependant upon the customizations built into her. However, some traits are standard for all catgirls, regardless of what combination of cat-human DNA is used. They walk upright for the most part, but often move on all fours in more relaxed settings or places they feel comfortable in. However, they do not sit upright, and rest on the floor or chair curled up in much the same position a cat would adopt. Catgirls lack organs of speech, but can create an almost working vocabulary of meows and purrs, using different stresses and different sounds to convey meaning. Also, there have been several instances where catgirls have been taught sign language, which demonstrates an intelligence that is at least on par with high-order primates. The fingernails of catgirls grow faster and to more of a point than a human's, and thus necessitates frequent trimming. All catgirls and catboys are given odd numbers of chromosomes and are thus unable to reproduce, to prevent any unwanted breeding. However, their bodies are still able to produce the correct hormones to allow them to develop and mature properly.
This book deals with the basic behavior of catgirls, and addresses issues that are essential for the physical, social, and psychological well-being of catgirls. Allow me to reiterate that some of the basic strategies discussed also apply to catboys and other human hybrids, but the catgirl will remain the central focus due to its widespread popularity over all others. Through behavioral studies and personal experiences of my own, it is my sincere hope that those who read this will be able to provide for their catgirl and allow them the opportunity of a long and happy life.