Fan Fiction ❯ "The Care and Raising of Catgirls" by Dr. Kazuya Morisato ❯ Choosing Your Catgirl ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 1: Choosing Your Catgirl

The decision to raise a catgirl is a thoughtful one, not at all unlike the decision to raise a child. Catgirls require massive amounts of time and attention, and also more than meager amounts of money. Even after the initial cost, which is often several hundred thousand dollars or more (depending on the desired level of genetic customization), one must take into account the expenses required to feed, clothe, house, and otherwise provide for it. If financial situation casts any doubt on the prospect of owning a catgirl, the best thing to do is not to buy one; the catgirl and the would-be owner are both much better off. So, indeed, the most important decision concerning the choice of a catgirl is whether or not to get one at all.
However, should finances and time allow, owning a catgirl can be a very pleasurable experience of devoted companionship. When choosing a catgirl, two basic sources should be considered: made-to-order and shelters. Of the two options, made-to-order is by far the safest, but also by far the more expensive of the two. The creation of a catgirl requires massive amounts of raw materials and man hours, and the cost of the end result definitely reflects that. Firstly, the genes must be spliced and incubated in a proper egg cell. Once the catgirl is "born," that is released from artificial amniostasis, it is usually held for one year, and sometimes until it reaches maturity (usually two and a half to three years) to make sure that physical and mental development occur normally, within parameters established by the NSPCA. Though the cost and wait are both excessive, the result is almost guaranteed to be a healthy catgirl that can live as long as thirty years. Plus, there is the added bonus of being able to specify certain genetic traits to be incorporated into your catgirl. For example, hair and eye color, height, body shape, tail length, even specific square inches of fur can be incorporated into the catgirl's genetic code during development. Obviously, more customization means more money, with some highly customized catgirls being sold in the past for over three million dollars. Due to the quality of the end product, however, the made-to-order option is by far the best, and should be the first consideration when obtaining a catgirl.
The second option is to get a catgirl from a shelter. Sometimes, should the NSPCA find that an owner is being particularly unfair or cruel to a catgirl, a court order is issued for the removal of the catgirl from the owner's custody. However, with courts dead-set on viewing catgirls as property, the legal battles can become extensive. So, in order to avoid court costs and injunctions, owners often settle out of court, with the NSPCA offering money to the owner for possession of the catgirl. Once the NSPCA takes the catgirl into custody, it is housed at a shelter, which is run in similar fashion to a halfway house. There, should the catgirl be deemed as reintroduceable into society, she is put up for adoption. Otherwise, the catgirl is moved to a permanent facility to live out the remainder of her life. In a handful of extreme cases, such as the catgirl actually turning on her owner and inflicting severe injury, euthenization can even be considered. To date, there have been only six recorded cases of a human hybrid being euthenized, and the subject remains a hot topic for debate among many animal welfare organizations. There is no fee required to adopt the catgirl, as the NSPCA is a global non-profit organization. However, this can be a risky proposition, as catgirls admitted to shelters have most likely been the victims of physical or mental abuse, and can show both medical and psychological disorders.
When choosing a catgirl from a shelter, several factors must be considered. Firstly, regarding her physical appearance. It is fairly easy to tell if a catgirl "looks" healthy; the same rules apply for the selection of just about any other pet. The hair and fur on her body should be evenly distributed. If it is blotched or if length is uneven, it could indicate the presence of a skin disorder, or stress-related hair loss. If she looks particularly thin, she may suffer from an eating disorder, either clinical or psychological. Also, tooth care is a huge issue. Should a catgirl be discovered as having deteriorating teeth or gums, the dental costs to have the damage repaired can be quite expensive, as well as the adverse effects of the stress of the procedure.
Secondly, the medical history must be provided in detail by the shelter. Usually this is a combination of their own records, plus the records provided via court order by the original owner. First and foremost the immunization records should be up to speed. If a catgirl has not been properly immunized, she is much more susceptible to serious illness and should be considered a medical liability. Also, if any past illness has affected her, it should be noted whether or not she was treated properly. If not, the illness may become chronic, and may even shorten her life span. As well, the NSPCA mandates that shelters under its jurisdiction keep logs of the daily activities of catgirls. This information could be vital in determining any psychological problems she may suffer from. It can be very time-consuming and expensive to treat a catgirl for mental illness, and there is always a chance that the therapy will be ineffective. It is important to remember that these catgirls have been put in the shelters because they have been neglected or mistreated, meaning that they may not be in the best of shape. Thusly, finding a catgirl in a shelter that is suitable for private ownership can be like finding a needle in a haystack. It requires sifting through massive amounts of paperwork, as well as spending time with the catgirl herself, and determining how she responds to you.
In order to conduct research for this book, It was mandatory for me to acquire a catgirl of my own. Not having much money, and not able to wait for a custom catgirl while still hoping to meet my deadline, I visited several shelters to find one I could take home with me. As the total number of catgirls is still fairly limited, the shelters are few and far between. At the second shelter, and after several hundred miles, I finally found a catgirl that I thought I would be able to raise well. Her name was Miki, a five year old who had resided at the shelter for three months. She apparently had been customized very little, as her only cat features were dark brown ears and a tail. She stood little over five feet tall with fair skin and vivid yellow eyes. I learned from one of the shelter's attendants, and also the court records of her previous ownership, that she had been physically abused, and when I first saw her I noticed that even by then some of the bruises still had not healed. Her medical record was fairly clean, and her psychological profile reported that, while she seemed a little distrustful of humans, she quickly adjusted to life in the shelter and became very social with the regular employees and the other catgirls. So, seeing as how she seemed to be the lowest risk catgirl I had come across in my arduous travels, I decided that I would take her home with me. I filled out the appropriate forms, including registration with the NSPCA as a catgirl owner, and Miki became mine. However, before I could take her home, there were many preparations that needed to be made.