Fan Fiction ❯ A Bloody Jewel ❯ Part Six ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Bloody Jewel

Part Six

By Tanya Nonsutoppo

Porter gently placed Jewel into the wheelchair, then smiled and kissed her gently on the cheek as he wrapped a warm blanket around her to keep her warm; "There, now we can go outside…" he told her, she smiled happily and he grinned as he pushed her wheelchair out of the house and into the yard.

Jewel squinted a bit as her eyes adjusted then looked around, an overjoyed smile on her face.

Porter smiled and laughed a bit, "You like being outside, don't you?" He asked her cheerfully; Jewel nodded happily as Porter pushed her out of the yard, "So, would you like to go through town?" he inquired, her smile brightened and her nod told him she would. He grinned and they set off towards town.

Minutes later, they entered the town and Porter watched Jewel as she looked around at everything, grinning happily until they got near the alley she had been attacked in.

It was then that Jewel grew scared and made a small whimper as she leaned away from the alley, a scared look on her face, Porter saw this and what had caused the reaction.

"You don't want to go near there, huh? Isn't that the alley you were attacked in? … Well, we'll just give it a wide berth then." He told her reassuringly as she nodded and he steered her away from the alley.

A second later he heard something and looked up, then smiled, "Uh oh, here come the kids!" he joked as a group of about five children ran towards them.

As the children grew nearer, they noticed the couple and stopped to greet them, "Hello Mr. McKain! Hello Lady!" They said in unison.

Jewel recognized one of the children and smiled brightly, as though trying to catch their attention. It was the little girl with long, blonde, braided hair that was just a few shades darker than that of Jewel and electric blue eyes. In a way, she looked incredibly like a younger version of Jewel.

Porter and Jewel smiled at them as Porter replied in kind "Hello there, kids!" he said cheerfully, then noticed Jewel's smile and figured she liked children. He then returned his attention to the children, "So, what're you all up to today, kids?" he asked

A girl who had shoulder-length black hair grinned, "We're going to the Chocolate vault!"

Porter smiled, "You mean the new candy shop a few blocks down?" he inquired.

A little boy spoke up, "Yah! And now they have more candy as well as chocolate sundaes!" The girl Jewel had recognized as well as another girl laughed.

"Hehe! Tommie and Cassie just want the sundaes!" the girl who Jewel had recognized exclaimed.

The other girl who had laughed grinned, "Hahaha! So do you Jené!"

Porter chuckled, "How much money do have for this little snack?" he asked them.

Cassie pulled out a little drawstring purse and counted the money in it, "Just enough for a sundae!" she exclaimed happily, as though one would be more than enough for all.

Porter thought a second, "Well, I say each of you should be able to have your own, how much for each sundae is it?"

Tommy spoke up this time, "Fifty cents each I think…"

Porter, smiled and handed them three dollars, "Here, this should be enough for one each, you can split the extra among yourselves to buy yourselves something nice for on the way home." He told them, they stared at the money in amazement.

After a while, the children grinned up at Porter, "Thank you Mr. McKain!" they said happily before running off.

Porter laughed as he watched them go, "Those kids… I just wish I could help them more, but knowing how much pride their mothers have in their family being able to get what they need on their own, they won't very well let me… Heh…" he said, as he looked at Jewel, who smiled and nodded a bit.

Jené, now down the street from Porter and Jewel, suddenly stopped then looked back. She shook her head, "Non... elle ne pourrait pas avoir été Gizele... ou pourrait elle avoir été?" she asked herself, thinking hard. (No... it couldn't have been Gizele... or could it have been?)

Tommy, who was far ahead of her, turned back, "Come on Jené! Hurry up!" he called to her.

Jené snapped out of it, and looked at him, "Oh! Right! I'm coming!" she called back to him as she ran to catch up.