Fan Fiction ❯ A Bloody Jewel ❯ Part Eight ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Bloody Jewel

Part Eight

By Tanya Nonsutoppo

At Jené's house, it was still morning and Jené's mother was putting her shawl on and getting ready to go out. As she got ready, she muttered "Hm… C'était trop foncé et froid pour aller à la maison de McKain la nuit passée… J'irai aujourd'hui." (Hm… it was too dark to go to the McKain house last night… I will go today.) with that, she walked out the door and looked in the direction of Porter's mansion. She turned and looked back as she heard someone calling to her.

"Attente, Maman! Je vais avec toi!" (Wait, Mama! I'm going with you!) Jené called to her as she ran to catch up to her mother.

"Bien, toi pouves venir…" (Alright, you can come with me…) her mother said with a slight nod. With that, the two of them started to walk towards town near which Porter resided in his mansion.

They arrived in town around noon and Jené's mother looked at her daughter, "Maintenant, nous devons parler anglais en ville, nous ne devons pas être considérés stupide." (Now, we need to speak English in town, we do not want to be considered stupid.) she told her, Jené nodded.

"Oui, Maman." (Yes, Mama.) she said obediently.

They walked until they reached the entrance of the mansion where Jené's mother rang the bell and they waited for someone to answer the door. A minute or so later someone could be heard running down the stairs and it was Jek, still in his robe and slippers, who opened the door.

Jek, startled by the fact that anyone would be outside in such cold weather, didn't speak at all for a second, he found his voice eventually and spoke up after realizing he should ask why they were there, "… Oh! We weren't expecting you to see us today, Mrs. Saphire¹! Is there something that I can do for you?"

Jené's mother nodded as she answered "Yes, I would like to speak with Mr. McKain if I may."

Jek nodded, then noticed what he was wearing and became embarrassed, "Um… I'll take you to the parlor then I'll go get him to see you…" he said hurriedly.

"Alright." confirmed Mrs. Saphire with a nod. Jek then lead the girl and woman to the parlor then, at a run, went to get Porter from his room.

Jené sat down on a couch, "He must be lazy…" she muttered, tilting her head at the door.

"Judge not lest you be judged, Jené." Her mother chided as she sat next to her daughter on the couch.

Porter ran in a minute later, holding a rag to his forehead, which was bleeding a little, nodded and smiled at the two on the couch, "Hello Mrs. Saphire, hi Jené!" he greeted them cheerfully.

Jené smiled at him and replied in kind with a cheerful "Hello!"

Porter sat down in an easy chair, "You'll have to forgive us if me and Jek seem a bit sloppy today, we weren't expecting anyone to come today!"

Mrs. Saphire nodded dismissively, "Perfectly alright, Mr. McKain-…"

"Please, call me Porter." He requested.

Mrs. Saphire nodded, "Thank you, Porter… We came to talk about something unusual Jené told me about… She says you were with a girl yesterday…"

"Huh?" Porter asked, not sure what she was leading to.

"The girl in the wheelchair!" Jené told him.

Porter raised an eyebrow, "You mean Jewel…?"

Mrs. Saphire waved a hand in the air not really interested in what he called her, "Whoever she is… Jené says she looked incredibly like her older sister, Gizéle…" she said softly.

"G-Gizéle!?" Porter inquired, startled by the proposition that his chargé could be Jené's older sister.

(¹Pronounced [sah fi re])