Fan Fiction ❯ A Dead Man's Heart ❯ Leeches ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's note: If you want you can skip the blue stuff and go strait to the story, but it explains a lot that's happened between this chapter and the one before.
 
Right, well, the last chapters were based in the year 1995, this chapter's in 1998 when Ragena's fourteen. This is just little thing to explain the characters and stuff… In between the third chapter and now, Rage has found out a bit more about Ryan (like the fact that he was a rapist by walking into the asylum to see him attack a girl). But, whatever dude.
 
So ON widda Fic!
-StraitJacket
 
 
Chapter 5: Leeches
 
 
Ragena was sitting down at the once lopsided desk. She'd leveled it with old textbooks when she was twelve. She was fourteen now, and it was the weekend. Ryan was lounging in one of the lobby chairs.
 
Ragena had just gotten out of school and walked to the asylum. She wore her usual baggy pants and a large insult T-shirt. Her backpack was sitting on the desk by her feet.
 
You haven't had any homework in the last couple days. Stated Ryan, in a bored tone.
 
“And you haven't had any `visitors' lately either,” replied Rage, leaning back in the chair she, um, `borrowed' from school.
 
Smart-ass…He mumbled.
 
“Ah, and yet everyone loves me for it,” she announced.
 
You feelin' all right, Kid?
 
“I was being sarcastic,” she said glaring softly at him, but then looked to her backpack. Her eyes widened slightly and she slumped down in her chair with a groan and placed a hand over her face in annoyance.
 
Ryan smirked slightly at the childish action. Do I want to know?
 
“I've got a five page essay due tomorrow on leeches because my science teacher is convinced that I'm a troublemaker and live to teach my fellow students of my evil ways…” Ragena paused at the Shade's laughter and smiled slightly. “Leeches… Thompson just had to give me the most boring assignment. I don't know five pages worth of leech info!”
 
What did you do to make him think you were `evil'? Asked Ryan, his curiosity and amusement at her predicament making her glare softly at him.
 
“He makes us do backpack checks every other week. It's where he makes us dump all of our stuff out on the desks and looks though it. I took out Voodoo, and a few of my drawings, and Thompson went on a rampage about evil symbolism and crap like that. I got sent to the counselor's office and she let me off the hook saying that her daughter had the same toy.”
 
So he's one of those guys who lives in their own little world and when something they don't like or approve of pops up they go on a nervous breakdown, he giggled.
 
Ragena smiled brightly, “Yep! Right on the dot.” She sighed and leaned up to retrieve her pack. “Homework, oh how I loath thee, you vile maggot upon the corpse of my free time.”
 
Ryan laughed at her again as she settled in the floor, using the chair as a desk. I've heard of everything now. A fourteen-year-old muttering Shakespearean insults about schoolwork…
 
“How long have you been dead?” Ragena asked curiously, as she started on the second page.
 
That all depends, Kid, he answered, used to her randomocity by now. What year is it?
 
He saw her pause slightly on writing the third page before answering, “1998…”
 
Eighty-seven, I think… After a while time seems to lose it's meaning…
 
Ragena nodded slightly, and continued her work in silence. Falling once again prey to the world of paper and ink. She gave a startled squeak as the annoyed ghost snatched the pages away from her.
 
“Um, sorry… What did you want?” She asked looking up at the frowning wraith.
 
I wanted to know why you asked me about how long I've been dead.
 
“I was just curious. Can I have my homework back now?” Ryan rolled his eyes and handed the kid the papers before picking up her backpack.
 
Everything these days are so bloody different than when I was alive, he stated.
 
“Like what?” asked Ragena, not really paying all that much attention.
 
Ryan was about to say a few things that popped into his caged head, but thought better of it as he set her pack down, Er, take a guess.
 
“Uh huh…” she replied distractedly, writing the conclusion. She held the pages away from her and glared at them in annoyance. “Oh, what I'm going to put that man through tomorrow…”
 
What are you complaining about? That didn't take very long.
 
“But it's the weekend, Ryan,” she said indignantly. “I shouldn't have to think on weekends! It should be illegal.”
 
Ryan laughed at her slight rant. You're still an odd little girl.
 
“It's been almost four years since I met you, AND YOU STILL CALL ME SHORT!” Rage sat back down and rested her chin on her folded arms, “Well, I can think of it this way: at least I don't have to duck to get through doorways…”
 
Ryan laughed softly as he settled back into his chair. I actually meant more of the odd part…
 
“Yeah, well… I know I'm odd. My only friend is the ghost of a rapist from the early 1900s. And the fact that I can see and touch ghosts isn't all that normal either,” she replied. “Then there's where I come to a burnt down asylum after school. Is there anything that I left out?”
 
I'm sure there is, you just can't think of them at the moment.
 
“You're a great help for my self-loving, did you know that?” She said glaring at him. “Oh well, at least I'm not one of those girls that wear their makeup like war paint and tie their hair into handle bars.”
 
Handle bars? The Shade asked in confusion.
 
“Um, well, pig tails… those pony tails they wear on the sides of their head.”
 
Ryan let out one of his insane cackles. I think I'm rubbing off on you kid. Maybe you should stay home for a while.
 
“Yeah, like I'm going to spend anymore time there than necessary… That'll happen when you come back from the dead…”
 
Hn, figured that much… I'm never going to be rid of you, am I? Ryan said with a smirk.
 
Ragena grinned at him, replying as she always did to that statement, “Nope, I'm the punishment for your crimes. So you'll have to deal with me until otherwise.”
 
Smart-ass… laughed Ryan.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Weehoo! Two chapters in one day! I feel special.
 
NOTES: I'm just makin facts known or whatever. In this fic Ryan was born in 1887, committed to Borehamwood in1908, and died in 1911. That would make him 24 yrs old. Also, I'd like to state that in this fic the events taken place in the movie take place in 2001, and probably won't happen in this fic, but in the sequel if I write one.
 
Thanks for reading this far,
-StraitJacket