Fan Fiction ❯ A Raven's Cry ❯ Meditation and a Late Night Rave ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
This is my first fanfic. I don't know how good it will be, so please review it. Tell me what I'm doing wrong, or how I can make it better.

Chapter 1

Raven watched the door to the workout room slowly slide open. “Why can’t anyone understand? I need quiet to meditate.” She though silently to herself, growing slightly frustrated. She stepped into the room and started to levitate towards the sparring mats, “Here’s a good a place as any.” She froze when she heard the clink of weights and someone grunting in exertion.
“Robin’s in the kitchen, who else would be lifting weights?”
She turned and saw a small green form on one of the benches, slowly lifting the weights to their brackets. “Beastboy?”
He dropped the weight bar into its brackets and sat up, “Hey, Raven. What’s up?”
“I was looking for a quiet spot to meditate. Since when did you lift weights?”
“I lift weights. It’s just never some up in conversation.”
“Right. I guess I’ll find another place then, let you get back to your workout.” She turned to the exit as Beastboy lay back to the bench, but stopped before leaving. “Wait a minute, Beastboy,” she turned back to him, “why are you lifting weights?”
“Why not? Lots of people do.”
“Yeah, people who can’t turn into a gorilla when they need to be stronger. You don’t need to.”
“It’s not a matter of making myself stronger. It’s just something I do. It helps me clear my head.”
“Most people meditate to clear their heads. Doesn’t leave you sore the next morning.”
“I don’t think that I could sit still long enough for it.”
“Have you even tried?”
“Is that an invitation?”
Raven stared at him for a moment. She knew that she was going to regret this. “Sure, why not.”
Beastboy stood, “Cool, where to?”
“Exercise mats.” She pointed to the soft foam pads, “It’s best to be comfortable.”
They both walked to the pads and sat facing each other, cross-legged. “Now what?”
"Just close your eyes and breathe deeply. Let your mind go blank."
"What about what you chant?"
"That's something I do to help me control my powers." She slowly began to chant.
Beastboy took a deep breath and cleared his mind. He found it surprisingly easy at first, but his mind was soon invaded with thoughts of Raven. He though of her there, just a few feet away. Since he had met her, he tried to make her happy. Despite his best efforts, she always rebuffed him.
Beastboy gave up trying to clear his mind. He simlpy sat, listening to Raven's quiet chanting. After a moment he was aware of a strange sensation, strange feelings. They felt almsot alien to him. He also felt them being fought against, put away. He concentrated on them, and realized he was feeling Raven's emotions. "Oh man, she's gonna kill me if she catches me." He started trying to back out, when he mentally froze. He recognized feelings of love coursing through Raven. She was trying despretely to get rid of them, to stop feeling them. "She's gonna kill me for this."
He focused on the feelings that Raven was having so much trouble dealing with. He started hearing her voice, quietly talking. "This was a mistake. There's no way I can put it away with him here. Right there, right in front of me. There's no way I can put this away if he's right here."
Beastboy felt a hand on his shoulder, pulling him back into reality. As soon as he was fully awake, he could here the alarm, "Come on Beastboy." Raven turned and ran out of the room, Beastboy following.

Raven moved through the press of people in the dark, crowded room. She moved to the middle of the room, listening to the pounding music, letting it carry her away. When ever she started having trouble controling her emotions she came here. When she let the beat of the music carry her away, when she was lost in it, she had nothing to fear. After her earlier meditaion with Beastboy, she needed this release from her emotions.
Raven felt someone press up behind her moving with her. Though many people tried to dance with her, she never allowed it. She moved away from the other dancer, through the press of bodies. She let the music carry her away again, but her worries would not go. "I'm coming here more and more, I'm reaching a breaking point." She knew what was causing her to lose control, why she had to find other outlets more and more often. "Beastboy. Why won't you stop trying to make me laugh." No matter how hard she pushed him away, he always came back with his dopy grin and another joke. At first she had found it annoying, but when Terra showed up, she realized the true reason she pushed him away. "I just wish he would do something, anything to force me to confess my true feeling for him. I love him, but it's not safe for me to feel anything."
She felt another body moving with her again. A form somewhat smaller than her, the same as the last person o try dancing with her, amybe the same person. She turned to tell the person to shove off, but saw the small dark form making his way to the exit. For just a moment she thought that she had caught a flash of green skin. "He didn't follow me did he?"
Raven started to press her own way to the exit, trying to catch up with the retreating form. Finally she was fed up with trying to make her way through the press, and she took flight. She skimmed over the top of the partiers and made it to the door. She stepped out into the cool night air, the sound of the music fading behind her. She looked around, but didn't see Beastboy, though several other people stood around in the alley.
"Something wrong, princess?"
"Just though I saw someone I knew."
"If you want some company..." he trailed off.
"No thanks, I'm fine." She turned back to the doors, but a large man blocked her path.
"Even if you don't want the company, we wouldn't mind some." he said.
"You don't know what you're getting into, messing with me."
He pushed her up against a wall, "Oh? Do you have a rich daddy at home?"
He had no time to react when the green blur hit him and carried him to the ground. A large green wolf straddled him, its teeth resting against his throat. "Nope, a close friend."
"Get him off me!"
"Beastboy, get off him." Beastboy only growled deep in his throat. "Beastboy?"
One of the other men pulled a gun. "If you don't call off your dog, I'm killin' it."
"Don't." Raven laid a hand on Beastboy's shuddering flank. "Let him go, Beastboy." Raven felt a rough hand pull her back, and heard a gunshot. "Beastboy!" She saw him fall, blood flowing from his shoulder.
"You okay man?", the person still holding her asked.
The man on the ground sat up, rubbing his throat, "Yeah, man, thanks."
"Now that your dog's taken care of..." The man with the gun turned to Raven, "We'll have our fun."
Raven felt rage welling up within her. She tried to quell it, she knew if she didn't then she would be the only living thing in the alley tonight. Raven heard a sound behind the men that surrounded her. "Leave her alone." The voice was guttural, it sounded as though it was forced from an inhuman mouth.
The men turned and Raven, and peering between them, Raven could see a monstrous form filling the alley where Beastboy had been lying. It was fully eight feet tall, was covered in short stiff looking fur, and each hand had claws that were several inches long. It's head looked vaguely like a wolf's, but had some human characteristics.
"What is that thing?" the man with the gun shouted, aiming for its throat. A clawed hand shot out and tore the gun from the man's limp hand, another claw backhanded him, sending him flying into the street. The others turned and fled.
Raven walked to Beastboy's side. "Are you okay?"
Beastboy feel to his knees, his monstrous head cradeled in his head. He cried out in pain as his body resumed its normal shape, not with its normal graceful fluidity, but with the pop of breaking bones and the tearing of muscle. Soon Beastboy's normal for lay huddled at her feet, sobbing quietly.
Raven grabbed his shoulders and lifted him, "You're going to be okay, Beastboy." She could see a clean bullet hole in his shoulder, bleeding profusely. "I'll get you to the infirmary."

Converting /tmp/phpyjzKe6 to /dev/stdout