Fan Fiction ❯ A Raven's Cry ❯ Late Night Talks and An Old Story ( Chapter 39 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Raven's Cry

Chapter 39

Raven slid the neatly sliced chunks of carrot off of the wooden cutting board and into a small bowl. From a basket near her hand she withdrew another carrot and began the quick work of slicing it into smaller pieces.
She froze when she felt familiar arms sliding around her. They encircled her body, resting on her rounded belly, green hands pulling her flush against another body. A chin came to rest on her shoulder, and she could feel Gar's breath run along her ear as he exhaled. Raven turned and threw her arms around his neck, pulling him tighter to her, burying her face into his chest. "I've missed you."
Gar ran his fingers through her short violet hair, and kissed her softly on the crown of her head, "I've missed you too. I've missed you so bad, I've wanted to come here so often, just to hold you."
"I know, but you couldn't."
"Gotta kill all the blood suckers, gotta make sure you’ve got a safe home to come back to."
"I didn't think that Robin would have let you come so quickly."
Gar smiled, but didn't answer. Instead he cupped her chin with one hand and pulled her face up to his. He smiled down at her as he leaned in and pressed his lips onto hers. “He wasn’t in much of a position to protest.”
Raven drew back, one eyebrow raised, “Oh? What happened?”
“He was overworking himself so me and Cyborg went and knocked him out.”
“Knocked him out?”
“Yeah, I’ll tell you about it later. What was it you wanted to talk to me about?”
“Just a couple of thi…” She cut herself off while Gar yawned, “Tired?”
“I’m usually in bed by now.”
“Ah yes, fighting vampires all night.”
“Yeah.”
“Just a minute.” Raven stepped back to the counter and transferred the chopped carrots into a pot of boiling water. “This’ll be a while.” She grabbed his hand and dragged him out of the kitchen.
“Where are you taking me?”
“My bedroom. I’ve slept alone for way too long.”

-------------------

Gar smiled when he woke. For the first time in close to a month he woke with another form in his arms. Raven was facing away from him, her back pressed into his body. He wrapped one arm around her, resting his hand on the curve of her belly. He smiled when he felt a gentle pressure against his palm. “He been doing that much lately?”
Raven rolled to face him with a smile, “Yeah. I think he wants out.”
“If it is a he.”
“Yeah.” She was silent for a moment before she spoke again, “How have things been? At the tower, I mean.”
“Not too bad. We’ve got some help from some vampire hunters.”
“Yeah?”
“Yeah. The team leader’s been doin’ this for a while, and there’s another werewolf, a psychic who knows about something called blood magic, and a true vampire.”
“A true vampire?”
“Yeah. The vampires that your father uses are pale imitations. We haven’t seen him fight, though. Says he likes to work alone.”
“What about Slade?”
“He patrols alone too. He goes out with a small arm of robots and comes back with a small army, all of them carryin’ armloads of robot pieces.”
“What about Starfire?”
“She’s okay. She’s still a little shell shocked, but Robin seems to be helping her with that.”
“I sense a story.”
“Yeah, looks like they’re gettin’ pretty close.” Gar leaned down and kissed her on the lips as she wrapped her arms around his shoulders. “I’ve really missed this.”
“Me too, but they’re going to want you back at the tower before too long.”
“Yeah. So what did you want to talk to me about anyway?”
“We need to pick a name.”
“I’ve been thinking about that, actually.”
“What do you think, Gar?”
“If it’s a girl, I’d like to name her.”
“Really? What if I don’t like the name?”
“You can veto it, of course.”
“Do you have a name in mind?”
“Maybe, I’ve got to think about it some more.”
“And I choose the name if he’s a boy.”
“Right.” Gar leaned down and kissed Raven softly, “Agreed?”
“Yeah. That’ll work. We also need to pick a godparent, or parents.”
“I’ve been thinking about that too.”

--------------------

“Hey, Cy.” Gar dropped his small duffel bag on one end of the couch.
Cyborg looked up from the data pad he was studying. “Hey, grass stain, how was your trip.”
“Good. Really, really good.”
“Glad to be back?”
“Let’s see,” Gar dropped to the couch and propped one foot up on the coffee table, “I could have stayed with my beautiful wife in an almost idyllic world, or come back here and look at your ugly mug all the time.”
“I’m not that bad lookin’ am I?”
“You’re bad enough to frighten small children, man. You don’t even need to dress up for Halloween.”
“You’re askin’ for it now, dude.”
“Bring it on, tin man. I can handle you any day of the week.”
“Yeah? Well not right now. I hope you got some rest, you’re on patrol tonight.”
“Great, back to the old grind stone.”
“Yeah, by the way, try to steer clear of Robin.”
“He mad about the sedatives?”
“No, he’s a little upset that we know where Star’s been sleepin’”
“Oh that? He’s gotta loosen up some.” Gar dropped his foot off the table and leaned forward, “Can I talk to you seriously for a minute?”
“Sure, what’s up?”
“Raven and I want you to be our kid’s godfather.”
“Me? You can do better than that, man?”
“Who? Our obsessive compulsive team leader? Maybe the our flighty alien friend? You’re probably the most stable member on the team, except for me of course.”
“Right.” Cyborg dropped his data pad on the table and leaned back, “Sure. I think I could handle that.”
“Thanks man, it means a lot.”
“No prob.” Cyborg glanced at the small readout on his arm, “You should head out. If your lucky Robin won’t catch up to you before morning.”
“Yeah, see you in the morning.”

---------------------

Gar pushed his empty plate away from the edge of the table and leaned back in his seat. He looked around the crowded table, the both teams were eating together, and though he didn’t eat, Jacob was also there. The only one in the tower who was missing was Slade, even if he was allowed into the commons area, he was on patrol.
During a lull in the conversation, Gar spoke. “Hey Alex.”
“Yeah?”
“What made you get into vampire hunting?”
The members of Alex’s team all froze, their eyes turning to Alex, who also sat unmoving. After a long moment he stood and walked out without answering. “I’m guessing that I shouldn’t have asked that.”
“We have all been working with him for some time, and we have not yet heard the full story.” Jacob replied. He glanced at all of his team mates who all gave small nods. “Over time we have heard bits and pieces from him, usually after he consumed a great deal of alcohol. Enough to understand. With him it is personal.”
“Are you sure you should tell us?” Robin asked.
“It is painful for him, but I do not think that he would mind. It is better that you have your curiosity sated, then for someone to inadvertently bring it up later.”
Jacob took a breath, seeming to collect his thoughts. “Alex had a younger sister. At one time they were quite close, but they began to drift apart after she became interested in the occult. What she studied in particular was demonology. She drifted further and further away from him, delving deeper into ancient tomes.
“Eventually, she decided to summon a demon known as the Vampire Lord. He was the demon that discovered how to fuse a demonic spirit with a dead body, thus creating the infernal vampire.
“When Alex found out about her plans, he tried to stop her. They had a fight, a very bad one. She stormed out and he didn’t here from her for some time, not until she called several weeks later.
“When she called she was hysterical. He managed to calm her down enough to tell him something of what had happened.”
“She summoned him.” Robin cut in.
“Yes. She summoned the Vampire Lord. The phone line went dead while he was still speaking with her so, fearing the worst, he went to her home. When he arrived he knew that there had been a struggle there. Blood was everywhere, spattering the floor, the walls, furniture was overturned and broken, things were burnt to ash.”
“Was she dead?” Starfire’s voice trembled as she spoke.
“She was gone. There was no body or anything.”
“So maybe she got away, and just hasn’t made contact yet.”
“That was nearly twenty years ago. If she could make contact, she would have long ago.”
“What was her name?” Beastboy asked.
“He will not speak it, not even when he cannot stand for the alcohol. He has not forgiven himself for what was said in the heat of the moment.”