Fan Fiction ❯ A War of Three Nations ❯ Chapter Eleven: The Purity of Love ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: ………………*ignores the heading and listens to escaflowne battle music*
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
A War of Three Nations
 
Chapter Eleven: The Purity of Love
 
Saleh, glad the three of them had retrieved the stone without harm, was a bit surprised at Zephyr's display of his feelings for Aceline. Before he could exchange any words with the others, Saleh and the others disappeared from sight in a wave of bright and warm light. Moments later, they reappeared at Lady Etaine's Shrine.

Watching Preia step forward and place her stone in the statue's altar, Saleh nodded in silence at knowing what he had to do. Stepping forward, he lifted the Water Stone from around his neck, and placed the crystalline gem in its slot. As the light gem was doing, the water gem began to glow as if waiting for the other stones' as well. Taking a step back from the altar, Saleh put his hands on his hips and waited for Rye and Aceline to do the same.
 
Zephyr motioned for Aceline to go first as the girl held the Earth Heart stone in her shaking hand. Zephyr gave her a reassuring smile, and then she placed the Stone beside Preia's. Coincidentally, whether it was by chance or just plain luck, the slot for Zephyr's stone found its way next to Aceline's. Aceline's stone glowed a bright emerald; Zephyr's gave off a slightly darker yellow of a colour, leaning much more toward the golden shade.

"We're almost there," Zephyr murmured quietly.

Aceline nodded in agreement. "Yeah. We're almost there."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Evil radiated in the dark room as Allarayne - who had now taken full supremacy over her body once more - and Cathayna watched Lilith place her two stones on the altar. As soon as Lilith placed her two stones, Allarayne moved in next. She seemed unwilling to let go of the power that the Darkness Heart stone held, but she quietly put the stone down. Cathayna's Metal and Wood stones glowed brightly as they were put next to her lady's and the general's.

"Goddess Shafira," Cathayna breathed in awe.

Allarayne smirked at Cathayna. "This is what we've been waiting for, isn't it?"
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
Time seemed to have sped up between Zephyr pulling Aceline into a tight embrace, and arriving at the beautiful Shrine of Etaine. Rye remembered smiling warmly at the two generals, realizing at that moment the affection that had always been present in their eyes for each other. Soon after, Lady Fayria chanted a spell, engulfing the whole group in a bright light. Once the light died down, Rye realized what had just happened: They had been teleported to the Shrine of Etaine.

One by one, the stone wielders inserted their stones into the marble table, beginning with Preia and ending with Zephyr. Rye looked at the others as they looked at him.

"It's hard to believe this is it. This is what we have been fighting for. I wonder what will become of us," he said, tugging the chain from the end of his sword.

Stepping up to the alter, he placed the stone into the slot and stepped back, watching as they all glowed brightly.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
As soon as the last stone was in place, the black diamond encasing Shafira began to melt. The darkness pealed away, soon leaving the goddess of darkness herself standing in front of them. Eyes as black as night opened to gaze coolly at the four standing in front of her, skin as pale as a star and hair as dark as her eyes. Her being radiated of power, and she smirked suddenly, lifting her arms up.

"Free at last," she spoke, eyes settling on Andreas when he stepped forward.

"We welcome you back, Goddess Shafira." The goddess smirked more, stepping down off the platform and striding towards the king, stopping just in front of him, a mist clinging around her feet.

"So you're the king of Malo." She reached out and placed a hand on the top of his head, "time to fulfill your duty."

"My du-?" Andreas words were cut off by a sharp cry, the king dropping to all fours and shaking violently, "M-My lady! What are you doi-?"

"You didn't know?" she asked simply, pushing harder on his head. The great king cried out once more, his body seemingly disappearing. Seconds later, not but a mist remained of Andreas, and Shafira licked her lips, flexing her fingers slightly, "Every king of Malo must give me his power and life."

She turned and focused her eyes on Lilith, the girl still and silent as usual. Smirking, the goddess turned and removed the stones from the tablet and tossing them at their respective owners.

"Rally the troops and prepare them; for tonight is the last night before the war." Lilith bowed, hanging the gems around her neck once more.

"Yes, my lady," she spoke before leaving. Shafira turned to Shrirava and Allarayne before they left, eyes narrowed.

"And I suggest that you two decide where your loyalties lie before this fight begins."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Once the stones were all placed together, the great diamond began to shimmer and shake. The bright light that flashed out was so strong that everyone within the shrine had to look away, and looking back, the Goddess Etaine stood free.

Completely opposite from Shafira, Etaine had kind blue eyes and long blonde hair, gowned in golden clothes. She smiled sadly at the warriors gathered there, stepping down from her pedestal.

"I am so, so sorry that the stones needed to be passed on to another generation," she said solemnly, eyes resting briefly on Preia and Rye, "Especially those of you whose past lives were lost in the previous war."

Taking the stones from the altar she gave them back to their owners, then turned and waved an arm towards the back of the shrine. Four separate doors appeared.

"Tonight is the last night before the war against the demons; the Gaian and Fayrian troops have already begun to gather near the border of the Avalon forest. Those doors lead to four separate bed chambers. Rest tonight, for it will be the last chance to rest for a time."

Preia blushed as the Goddess' gaze once more found its way to her, and curtsying as best as she could (which was hard to do when wearing pants), she turned to look at the others before walking quietly towards the exit of the shrine. Blocking her eyes from the vibrant sunlight, she sighed and ran down the steps swiftly, throwing herself onto the soft grass below.

Letting out a breath she hadn't known she'd been holding, Preia looked up and glanced around at the seemingly peaceful environment around her, far away enough that she couldn't hear the troops. "Tomorrow's the war... will I follow in my past lives steps?" she murmured quietly.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
Cathayna visibly shivered at her goddess' accusation as she caught the Metal and Wood Heart stones. She re-worded the response she had given to Ishikawa earlier. "Come what may, my lady," she breathed in awe, "my duty is to you and to my country. My loyalties lie with none other."

Allarayne's eyes shifted from her Stone, to "Shrirava," and then to Shafira. Her eyes darkened albeit slightly, her response nothing more than an incoherent answer. She curtsied as well as she could - the other demoness followed her example - and exited the room swiftly. She walked hastily outside, Verzyan, her Stone spirit, gliding gallantly beside her.

"Verzyan," she said. "It's finally time."

Yes, madam, replied Verzyan. What is it you wish of me?

Allarayne smirked darkly. "Our army is in need of a refreshment course, my dear."

Verzyan's spirit floated alongside his mistress as they went outside into the courtyard, where her army had assembled before Lilith. "How long I have waited for the rush of battle and blood!" she cried mirthlessly.

Cathayna stepped back, grasping her own two Stones. Allarayne obviously had control over the Stone's spirit, and her bonded was her dragon. She was worried that, in time of the war, she would not be able to summon her Spirits and bonded.

Why, madam, we have always been with you, a quiet, child-like female's voice said. Cathayna turned abruptly around. The spirit smiled. I am Dyrdaran, Spirit of your Metal Heart stone.

A large vulture rested on Dyrdaran's fragile-looking shoulder. I am Ranind, bonded to you through the Heart stone of Metal.

Cathayna instantly frowned. "My power is neither Metal nor Wood," she explained. "How am I to control your strengths if I do not even control your elements?"

In times such as this, Lady Cathayna, another spirit said, rising out of the other stone, this time a male spirit, in times of war, element and stone need not match. My Wood strengthens your Earth. Dyrdaran's Metal helps your Stone. In the end, it is all just how elements compliment each other.

That is my host, Chraythin, a lithe Stymphalian bird crowed. I am Riorath, bonded to you through the Heart stone of Wood.

"I see," Cathayna murmured. "Let us, then, accompany our general and lady. Come."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Zephyr nodded thanks at Lady Etaine, but quickly rushed out to the battlefield. Aceline harrumphed at his brash impoliteness, but she smiled fondly. That was when she remembered that the Gaian army had also gathered there. She slapped her forehead, and curtsied to Etaine, and began chasing after Zephyr. The run to the border of the forest took no longer than a few moments with Zephyr's Wind carrying him and Aceline's Earth moving her swiftly along the ground.

Zephyr saw the elves and the neko-jins gather swiftly. His quick eyes spotted his father, and he descended. Aceline also saw the patriarch of her family, and approached him. Zephyr was smiling happily at his father, laughing with his brother, and grasping his mother tightly in his arms with affection like he did to her earlier. Aceline blushed at the memory, but hugged her father tightly with unsuppressed emotion nonetheless.

Half of the day went with Zephyr making final preparations in his army - Aceline noticed that they, his army, paid indefinite attention to their general, and she smiled. Aceline's own commands rang out through the forest. The two excused themselves quickly, leaving their armies to their charges (Zephyr to his father and brother, Aceline to her father), and went back to Etaine's shrine. Before Aceline could separate herself into one of the rooms, Zephyr took her into his, and sat her gently on his bed. He sighed, and then turned to her, appearance distraught and mind disheveled. "I don't know where to start, Aceline," he began, "and I don't know when this started, but... There will be war tomorrow, and there will be people we want to protect, to risk our lives for."

Aceline looked confused. "Zephyr--?"

"W--when I hugged you," he continued, "when you exited the cave. I was nearly trembling with worry, and then nearly exploded with relief when you exited safely. I--I don't really know how to say this, Aceline, but... I want to protect you. I would risk my life for you. I..."

Aceline stood up, and grasped the other general's hand soothingly. "I want to protect you, too. I would risk my life for you, too. Zephyr, you may not know how to say it, and you may not recognize the feeling, but... Zephyr, I--I love you," she finished in a quiet whisper.

Zephyr looked somewhat relieved, and, as he kneeled before Aceline, he said, "Once this war is over, and if we come out of it alive--"

"When, Zephyr," murmured the other blushing general.

"When we come out of this war alive and happy that we protected the ones that we love the most, I want to whisk you away."

"As in--?"

"Yes."

Now, Aceline felt as if she was blushing a dozen different shades of 'red.' "I--I don't know."

Zephyr smiled at her gently. "I'm neither forcing nor rushing you, Aceline." Then he shrugged casually as he opened the door and exited quietly. "It's just a thought."

Aceline nodded numbly and responded with a meek "Good night, Zephyr. Sleep well."

Zephyr nodded at her, exited her room, and entered his own. He sighed as he removed his armor, letting his blonde hair spill about him, no longer in the ponytail. He sighed, and slid down his door, his face in his palm. Aceline...
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
Saleh tied the Stone of Water back around his neck as Lady Etaine gave it back to him. Kneeling before her with one hand on his raised thigh and one on the ground, he spoke, "My lady, I too, am a Knight of Fayrie. I have no time for rest as do the others. I must take my leave in wake of General Zephyr, the Fayrian army's commander. I must help and prepare for the war. With all do honors..." he said, rising out of his kneel, then turning on his heel, he walked down the marble steps of the Diamond Shrine of Lady Etaine. Wind and water began to swirl around his feet.

In an upwards burst of the two elements, Saleh leapt into the air, using the burst to catapult about fifty or so yards away. Landing in a crouch, he jumped up again in another burst of wind and water, repeating this process until he reached the border of the Avalon forest. Once there, he began walking to and from various battlements, confirming supplies and checking that everyone was equipped as best as they could be. Reaching a particular battlement, a young elf walked up to Saleh. "Captain, we've managed to retrieve your steed from Jarner. If you'll follow me, I'll take you to him."

Saleh nodded and followed the young elf for a few minutes, finally arriving at the army's stables. He immediately spotted his horse and turned to the young elf. "Thank you for returning my steed to me, I was afraid he would've been stolen or sold off to someone else when I left him back at the stables' in the city." The young elf nodded and disappeared out around the corner of the stable's entrance. Saleh opened the stable gate and patted his horse's nose, "It's been awhile my friend..." he whispered softly. The horse, recognizing its rider, neighed in happiness. Taking the reigns of his horse, he led it out of the stable. Climbing atop of his steed, Saleh sped off towards the foremost frontlines, where the soldiers there would be sent to fight first...
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
Rye watched Preia leave the shrine, followed by Zephyr, Saleh and Aceline. He wondered if he should accompany the soldiers, in an attempt to help prepare, but thought against it, realizing he wasn't a trained soldier like they were. He would only get in the way with constant questions like "What can I do," and "How can I help now?"

Placing his right hand over his heart, Rye bowed in respect to Lady Etaine and gave her a small smile, not sure of what to say. He picked up his heart stone and attached the chain to his sword, as it had been before. Again he looked at the Goddess and nodded, before leaving the shrine.

He stood at the top of the stairs, watching as Preia flung herself onto the grass. Snickering at the sight, he leaned on the white pillar he stood next to. If we were not stone wielders and I was an elf, I wonder if we could have shared our days happily, together.

He walked down the stairs and approached Preia.

"Tomorrow's the war... will I follow in my past life's steps?"

Rye lay down on the grass next to her, and stared at the sky. "I won't let you," he said, only turning to look at her after he had finished his sentence.

"You won't die on the battlefield. I know this because I'm going to be there, right beside you constantly, making sure of it."

Rolling onto his stomach, he propped himself up on his elbows and looked down at the elven maiden. I want to share many, many more days with you. I want to kick the Autumn leaves on the trail together. Roll in the grass like this in Spring, together. Dance in the Summer rain, together. Build snowmen in Winter, together. Together, with you. So, I won't let you leave me on the battlefield." He smiled slightly at her, looking directly into her green eyes. "I won't let it happen."
 
Preia flushed brightly at Rye's words, staring straight back in his red ones. Her heart beat more quickly at the open sincerity in the crimson depths, something she'd never seen in his eyes before.

Swallowing to try and settle her hearts rapid beating, Preia returned his smile shyly.

"I... I want to do those things to," her voice was almost a whisper, but pushing herself up so that she was sitting and looking down at him instead of up, she smiled again, "and I'll be looking out for you to, you know... on the battlefield, I mean. So I won't be letting you leave me either, Rye, not for a long time. I... it would hurt my heart too much to let you go..." She flushed again at the end of her sentence, breaking their eye contact slightly as her shyness kicked in.

Never had she said anything like that to a man before; she'd never felt like this before.
 
Rye snickered quietly, baring his small fangs. He found her nervous stutter and her red cheeks quite amusing.

"I'm glad," he said in response. "Have I made you uncomfortable?" he said with a smirk, moving closer to her.
 
Eyes snapping back to Rye's at his comment, Preia just flushed more when she noticed how little distance was between them.

However, her stubborn side chose this moment to kick in, and she huffed slightly, her lower lip sticking out in a slight pout as she stared straight back at him.

"Not uncomfortable, just different. Like butterflies are fluttering around in my stomach, but in a good way. It's a feeling I don't ever want to leave." she finished truthfully
 
"Correct answer," he said quietly.

Closing the distance between them, Rye pulled Preia's necklace which hung above him slightly, drawing her lips towards his. Closing his eyes, he kissed her lips softly, cupping the side of her face with his hand.
 
Preia's eyes widened, her cheeks flushing brilliant red. It took a few seconds for her to gain control of her body again, sighing and letting her eyelids flutter closed as she responded to his kiss.

Placing her hand over his while using her right to keep herself up, Preia wondered briefly if she was dreaming. The sudden change in weather didn't bother her at all; the sun beginning its descent cast pinkish light over the small grassy area where they sat, and soft rain began to fall over the lands surrounding Etaine's temple.

Yet all of this went unnoticed as the young elf sat in her loves embrace.
 
When the kiss had ended, Rye became aware of the time and weather, and smiled at Preia. He stood up. "Come, tomorrow is a big day. Who knows what it holds in store for us."

He helped her to her feet, before picking her up, the way a knight would a princess. He ran back to the shrine, with Preia still in his arms, laughing at the fact they were being drenched.

Walking into one of the bed chambers, he gently released Preia, before closing the chamber door behind him.
 
Preia looked around the chamber in order to keep her eyes from falling on Rye, trying to sort out her thoughts. She shivered, her damp clothing clinging to her body uncomfortably. Releasing the clasp that held her cape in place, she let the garment fall in a heap on the floor and sighed from relief when the heavy weight was gone from her shoulders; though that didn't help her think anymore clearly.

Glancing at Rye briefly from the corner of her eye, Preia wondered what he was thinking. She knew now that what she felt for him was love, but did he love her? True, he had kissed her, but did a kiss mean love?

`What am I thinking? I saw it in his eyes... the way he was looking at me... I felt safe...' Turning to look at him again, Preia felt her heart give a jolt and knew she couldn't resist the question in his crimson orbs. She pushed her nervousness aside; this was the last day that they were certain they would be alive, and there was no time to worry about possible consequences.

Gathering her courage, Preia turned fully and walked back over to Rye, lacing her fingers with his and staring up into his eyes.

"Rye, we may die tomorrow...and I know that we'll both do our best to prevent that, but it's a very real possibility," she paused to reach up and brush a piece of damp hair from his forehead, smiling slightly, "Should that happen, I don't want to die with any regrets... and I don't want to leave without being able to show you how fully I love you... so..." standing on her tiptoes Preia leaned up and kissed him softly before pulling back by just a few inches.

"I trust you Rye, so please, let me feel how much you trust me..."
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
*squeals* I swear this is my fave chapter X3!! Rye and Preia are in LUFF! WOOT! X3 X3 *fangirls* Ahem, anyways…. Next chapters the war! O.o ZOMG! *flail*
 
Amariahellcat
 
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
Why is it you focus on only Rye and Preia when Zephyr and Aceline are facing the same situation!? *fangirls over Aceline and Zephyr* *sweatdrops*
 
(Some things I'm supposed to say),
 
Snowy