Fan Fiction ❯ Almost An Angel ❯ Friendly Comfort ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Friday. Homecoming. Everyone was wearing our school colors: black and white. Everyone was cheering on the football players as they walked through the halls.

Well… Okay. More like almost everyone. Michael was wearing all black, I was wearing all white, but neither of us were doing very much cheering. Every football player that saw me, or him, or both of us, just glared, or said something rude. Not much to cheer about there.

James was the only one that was actually being nice to us. Actually, he was being a little more than just nice to me. Right as lunch was starting, we found ourselves alone in one of the bathrooms.

"Hey, Davis. Looking good," he said, eyeing me up and down. I knew the grin on his face very well; he always used to have that exact look right before he was going to either kiss me, get himself in trouble, or both.

I decided that he was probably more in the 'kiss me' type mood, so I flirted back. "Same to you, big guy," I said, taking a step forward and wrapping my arms around his neck.

James really did look great; he was wearing a pair of incredibly tight black jeans, a white wife-beater and a black silk over-shirt. Simple, but gorgeous, and it made it way too easy to fall back into the 'closet couple' routine that we'd had a month before.

I don't know what I was expecting, but James bent his head down a little, wrapped his arms around my waist, smiled… Then his lips were on mine, his tongue was in my mouth, and I was wondering why the hell I'd ever let him break up with me that easily.

"And what was that about?" I gasped when our mouths finally parted. James grinned.

"That was about the fact that you look gorgeous, and I had to let you know. Now how about we try that again, this time for good luck?"

I laughed, but pulled his head down and kissed him again, but a little softer. "How was that?" I asked him.

"As great as always… Why'd we break up, again? I forget."

I made a face. "We broke up because someone wanted to have a girlfriend on Homecoming."

"Oh. What an idiot… Maybe I should talk to him. Knock some sense into his brain or something."

"I don't know if that'd do much good." I smirked. "After all, he doesn't have much of a brain, and all of it's focused on football and football scholarships right now." I kissed his neck gently and added, "Besides, I don't really blame him. He's got real talent, and there's no point in messing up his chances at becoming a pro just because I like him."

James stared me right in the eyes for what seemed like forever before he said anything. "God, I love you. I still love you, do you know that?" He had this really sad, really gorgeous smile on his face, and it reminded me of Michael for some weird reason.

"Yeah, isn't that weird?" I whispered. "I think I still love you, too. Even after you've dumped me for a girl." That made me curious. "By the way… Who are you taking to Homecoming, anyways?" I hadn't bothered listening to gossip after the fight at the table, since most, if not all, of it was focusing on Michael and me.

"Stacey," he replied, and I burst out laughing, and James looked insulted. "Hey, what's wrong with Stacey? She's a great girl. Are you jealous or something?"

"Oh, nothing's wrong with Stacey… Except maybe the fact that she's a lesbian!" I managed to say, still laughing my head off. It was just too funny.

James stared at me like he wasn't sure what I'd just told him. "Are you serious, Davis? Or are you just yanking my chain to see how I'll react?"

"Dude, I'm serious. Michael told me he saw her at a bar last month, making out with some chick. I trust him, and besides… Just think about the way she looks at Ann sometimes."

He got this cute little frown on his face, and started stroking my back with one hand as he thought. I don't think he realized what he was doing, but it felt nice.

"Well… Now that I think about it… I guess you could be right." He shrugged, and his grin was back on his face. "Oh well. I guess it's better this way. At least she won't really get her feelings hurt when I dump her tomorrow."

"God, James! You can sound like such a jerk sometimes. It's a good thing you're so cute that I can't help but forgive you anyways."

We both laughed, and he kissed me again, backing me up against one of the walls. "Davis…" he whispered into my ear. His breath was warm, and I shivered.

"Yeah?" I said, glad that the wall was supporting me. I hadn't been this close to James in a month, and it felt so good that I half expected to turn into a puddle any minute.

"After today… After Homecoming… Take me back. I'm sorry I dumped you, babe… I'll do whatever it takes to get you back."

I could have asked him for anything I wanted right then. I could have made him get down on his knees and beg, or had him make a fool out of himself. But there was only one thing that I really wanted.

"Come out of the closet with me," I asked him, moving my arms off his shoulders and taking his hands in mine. "Not right now, of course; I want to wait until the end of the year. But I don't want to come out by myself, and I don't want to wait until I'm out of college."

"Davis, I… I…" James stuttered, looking shocked. I guess that if I were him, I wouldn't have expected me to ask him to do something that big either. "I don't know if I'm ready for that yet…"

I kissed one of his hands, trying to make him feel better about himself. "James. That's fine. I already told you that it wouldn't be until the end of the year. That's a long time away; maybe you'll be ready by then. But I'll take you back for now, one way or the other."

"Thank you, Davis."

We kissed again, going from gentle to hard and back again. I hadn't realized until that day just how much I'd missed that closeness.

The bell rang, telling everyone that lunch was over for the day. James and I both jumped; it hadn't seemed like forty-five minutes had gone by.

"You're coming to the game?" James asked me. I rolled my eyes.

"Isn't everyone?" I replied, poking him in the stomach. He growled and swatted my hand away playfully. "Of course I'm going, idiot."

"How about to the dance?"

"I didn't plan on it, no."

"Go."

"Why?"

"For me." He grinned evilly. "I've got the feeling that I'll need to be comforted after I find out that Stacey's been cheating on me, you know?"

I shook my head. Leave it to James to make trouble at every chance he got… "Okay, I'll go, but only if Michael wants to. I don't want to leave him home alone with my family."

James looked surprised, then suspicious. "Is he staying with you or something?"

"Yeah. I thought you knew."

"Nu-uh. Nobody's said anything about it to me. And besides… If people knew, I'm sure Rick would have made a joke about it by now."

"Good point. Well, yeah, he's staying with me. Don't know for how long. He's having some serious family problems at home, though, so we'll keep him as long as he needs."

We could hear people noisily making their way down the hall; we'd have to get to class soon if we didn't want to be late.

"Well, see ya later," James said. He kissed me again, then let me go and left the bathroom, looking like nothing at all had happened.

I grinned, ran one hand through my hair, then headed off to class.