Fan Fiction ❯ Angelic Dreams ❯ A Ghostly Past ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Ten
March 17th, 1990
Planet: Uris
Lee and Jaden's Interlude

"Mum.. Mommy-"
"We're not giving it to them, if my life depends on it!"
"Think sense, love.."
"Maaaamaaa!"
"Jaden.. quiet down now," his mother gave him a stern look as the boy pulled on her heavy robes of lavender velvet. "But my point is-"
"The point," the king interrupted, "is that I will not allow you to be so stupid as refuse them! You know they want it - give it to them... it's only a small price to pay for lives that may be lost for no reason!"
"Mommy!" Lee shouted. "Who and what are you talking about?!"
"Nothing, dear," the queen answered him quickly.
The royal family of four had been debating in the same room for over an hour, and it was hot at this time of the day, and the boys were bored to death. Lee and Jaden - the feistiest princes in ten generations. Both with the brightest minds of their time, and the most panicky kids you've ever seen. If it weren't for their occasional acts of cowardice after doing something stupid; like setting the palace jackals on random people and finally confessing under their parent's wrath, or burning the pet phoenix to kill it faster and make it a baby again right in front of the towering, armed guards and jumping out of their skin right on the spot... they'd probably get away with anything. Lee was five, Jaden; six - and they looked like tornado twins from hell.
The queen fanned herself with her hand as Lee said in a loud whisper to his brother, "They're probably gonna tell us, 'palace business' like they always do if ever we get anything out of them!"
"Bull shit," Jaden snorted.
"Watch your language," the king snapped, eyeing his elder son carefully. "You're a respected member of the royal house of Drenan, act like one."
"A respected member of Drenan blood and I'm stuck with the dorky name too," Lee mimicked his father behind his back.
The queen sighed. "If they get it, though.. I'm only curious why they want it so bad! If it's so important to them.. then it must do something AWFUL!"
"If we haven't found it to be anything more that a pretty, star shaped gemstone in over three hundred years, then THEY certainly wouldn't know what to do with it," the king replied coldly. "The only value in it, is that it's OUR family emblem and is a priceless treasure because WE made it that way. Give it to them, our men can make another."
"Ohhh.." Jaden said excitedly. "You're talking about the colorful rock!"
His mother stared down at him warily, smiling. "Yes, dear.. your colorful rock.."
"Why do they want to have it? And who's they?!" Lee jumped up and down, trying to be noticed.
"THEY are none of your concern, Sweetie, and we don't KNOW why they want it so badly," the queen answered, brushing a long lock of dark hair out of her face.
"I think," the king interrupted nervously, "that you boys should leave now."
"Stay out of trouble," the queen called after the cheering boys as they scuttles down the long stairs and out the chamber doors, past the unmoving guards. The heavy, marble structure was shut with a loud bang, which echoed off the high walls of polished stone.
The queen sighed and stood up, straightening her dress out, then sitting back down on her tall throne next to the king's. On either side of the king and queen's thrones, were two empty ones, for Jaden and Lee. The fancy chairs were lined with red velvet, and made of solid gold - and they were always being added to the long platform which they were bolted to, or in some cases, removed if one generation of royalty had not as many children as the last. A long, shallow flight of stairs from the platform lead down to the largest part of the throne room, which was used for entertainment and feasts, or such. Two guards stood by the huge doors at all times, though they were never needed - no mortal person could open the thick, heavy stone doorway; it had to be fitted up with an automatic device which opened and closed the doors slowly if ever a person wanted in or out, and only the royal house could walk freely through all corridors of the castle. Every other soul had to be let into rooms by the crowned themselves, or they'd be locked inside or outside a room forever.
"My love, if we do not give them the bauble, they said they'd kill us! What choice do we have?" The king informed his wife as she leaned back in her seat comfortably.
"We've already given the order for all the people to evacuate this planet.. it's okay," the queen answered.
"But what about US?!" The king roared.
"It's OUR job to protect the people-" the queen started.
"And we HAVE!" Her husband blurted. He took a deep breath. "We HAVE.. so now what? Do we let them kill us, or do we give it to them?"
"We hold onto it as long as we must," the queen replied calmly.
"Dear.. we MUST give it to them! Think of the children," The king answered her. The queen was silent for a long time.
"Okay," she finally decided. "We give it to them. For the safety of our kids." The king sighed in contempt.
"Sir!" The sudden sound of a guard's voice alerted the king and queen.
"What is it?" The king asked.
"It's THEM, your majesties.. they're demanding they be let in!" He said. "Should I let them in?"
"They're going to get their stone. Let them in," the queen ordered. Automatically, the doors opened, and a group of tall, yellow aliens trooped in - one had red eyes, instead of the usual green, and there was no mistaking it.. this was Bijin, captain of the Geel army.
"We're giving it to you," the king said almost lazily, despite the fact the Bijin was glaring murderously at him. The glare turned into a wide, jagged tooth smile as his bulbous eyes lit up.
"Naa," it spoke, "gand paden wezzef tyr roqaz jah!"
"Good," a translating Geel spoke in the universal language, "So you won't have to die today!"
The queen stood up, which made some of the Geels shift uncomfortably. She reached up and pulled from the top of her throne, the star.. the colorful gem which she threw to the Geel captain reluctantly.
"Doba, jo kakana wa goh verr nen!" Bijin said in satisfactory.
"Ahhh.. how long I've been looking for this.." the translator said enthusiastically, practically enjoying himself.
"Buu nahe deff zenerda, kahpanbi," Bijin muttered to himself. "Haha, vercz we..."
"But it will still take many years to find... the One.." the translator said in a stage whisper.
"Rehg PAAZ!" Bijin pointed his finger at the king and queen, and suddenly, they knew what was happening, and both dove behind their thrones. No sooner did they do so, when all the Geels began to fire their guns at them. The gold of the thrones was melting, and the queen gave a sharp yell as one Geel fired right past her head.
"Come! This way!" The king shouted.
"No! I'll get shot!" The queen objected.
"Not if you trust me! Now wait for it - now! Come now!" The king yelled as his wife flung herself to her husband, and they both ran for a particular block in the many-stoned wall. Kicking it, it opened to reveal a space large enough for one person to crawl through at a time.
"Hurry, and go!" The king called to his wife as he dodged a couple of gun shots. He hurried in after her through the stoneway, and suddenly let out a loud groan of pain.
"What? WHAT HAPPENED?" The queen shrieked, stopping to turn around and see her husband.
"Go on, it's nothing - just they got my shoulder, nothing big - now go!" The king told his wife as the stone slid back into place. Geel voices could be heard muffled by the wall. Angry and yelling, the Geels pounded on the stone. But it didn't open for them - it worked like the doors.
"Lee and Jaden!" The queen suddenly remembered. "We have to stop by their room!"
"What if they're not there?!" The king asked, horrified for the thought that his kids were already dead.
"I don't KNOW! Let's just hope the guards have made orders to evacuate!" The queen answered, crouching and running furiously towards her children's' room.
_________________________________________________________________ _______

"Whee!" Lee and Jaden rushed down a deserted corridor, racing to the end.
"I'm - gonna win!" Lee crowed, his words halted as he ran as fast as he could.
"HA!" Jaden touched wall as his younger brother pulled up to him, gasping for breath.
"Cheater," Lee muttered.
"Was not!" Jaden answered.
"Was too!"
"Was not!"
"Was TOO!"
"Was NOT!"
"Was-"
BAM
Lee's sentence was cut off as he heard a loud banging in the next room, and people shouting - male voices.
"That's the room Mommy and Daddy are in!" Jaden informed. "Shhh..."
There was more bumping and yelling.
"Mommy?" Lee whimpered, "Daddy?"
"It's okay, Lee," Jaden muttered, seizing his brother's hand. "Um... let's go see what they're doing."
"Okay!" Lee answered happily, skipping alongside Jaden, who was running quite fast back down the corridor to see what was the matter.
As they reached the end of the hall, the doors to the left was muffling a lot of angry voices. Jaden let go of Lee's hand, skidding to a halt on the slick tile floor in front of the throne room. Two guards were standing straight on either side of the doors.
"What are Mommy and Daddy doing?" Jaden asked fearfully to one of the guards, while Lee caught up to his older brother.
"Evacuate immediately," one of the guards answered gruffly.
"But what about Mommy and-"
"Evacuate immediately," the guard interrupted Lee with the exact same harsh tone in his voice.
Lee's eyes brimmed with tears. Jaden reassured him with a mean look at the guard.
"What does THAT mean?" Jaden asked puzzled.
BAM
The huge doors were suddenly thrown open by only a wave of a Geel hand - and it was such a forceful blow, that both doors smashed against the walls, chunks of marble flung in every direction.
Lee's head was nearly missed by an inch, and both boys stood petrified, staring at the raging Geels.. three behind the one that had thrown the doors clear of the way, and was now staring at the boys in surprise, his hand still outstretched. Though to Lee and Jaden's unfortunate luck, Bijin was broken from his startled stare earlier than they were.
"Gaa nash!" He hissed, pointing harshly at the boys, eyes down to slits.
And without another moment to lose, the kids gave a shout and tore down the opposite hall, Geels shooting at their heels.
"JADEN! WHAT DO WE DO?!" Lee cried, tears pouring down his face in fright, running as fast as his little legs could carry him.
"I don't know!" Jaden shouted back. "In there!" The boy pointed hurriedly to their bedroom, screeching to a halt and turning sharply.
"Ahh!" Lee slipped and fell, trying to follow his brother. "Jaden! Jaden!"
Jaden quickly leaped out into the hall for Lee, hoisting him to his feet right as a beam sliced through the floor next to them. The boys shoved into their room, shutting the door with so much force, the floor shook.
"The red eyed one is going to make the door fall down!" Jaden said to his brother.
"NOW what?!" Lee asked fiercely.
A brick slid out of place from above Lee's bed.
"Ahhh!!" Jaden cried.
"It's me, Sweetie, it's only me!" The queen shoved her way out of the wall, grabbing both her boy's hands. "We must go - NOW!"
The kids were thrust through the hole in the wall, right as Lee and Jaden's door was torn down, once again by Bijin.
"Rehg PAAZ! REHG PAAZ!" Bijin shrieked over and over again, leaping at the queen as she slipped back into the wall, the stone once again taking it's position.
And you could hear Bijin's rage for miles.
"Come on, hun - we have to get to the spaceship and fly away from here," the queen said quickly, pushing Lee to go further. Jaden was behind her, followed by his father.
"Mommy, what's happening?" Jaden asked sniffley.
"Nothing dear, just a fire drill!" The boy's mother answered shortly, coming to a stone, which she hit with the palm of her hand impatiently, muttering about something nobody else could hear.
As she clambered out of the hole, irritatedly ushering her boys out and to the docking bay, the king emerged, closing his hand around the queen's reassuringly, pulling her towards their huge spaceship.
"This was our home," the queen uttered as Lee and Jaden made their way into the spaceship.
"There's a new time for everything," the king answered, pulling his wife unhesistantly through the spaceship's door.
A few moments later, the spaceship left the planet, Bijin, hearing the noise from another part of the castle clenched his fists in rage, made a mental note that no matter how long it takes, he WOULD kill them. They who made a mockery of the Geel race.