Fan Fiction ❯ Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, For You ❯ Everybody Has A Perfect Plan ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, For You
 
Chapter Fourteen
“Everybody Has A Perfect Plan”
 
A/N: A new character is introduced in this chapter: Grant Wilson. Obviously, he's not in the cartoon version; but he was in the comic version of Teen Titans. I'm pretty sure that by the end of this chapter you'll have learned everything about him you'll need for the story; but I do have a website you can go to for the detailed information on the entire comic version of teen titans; characters, storylines, plot twist, ect. More info on that after the story.
 
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
 
“We're doing things my way, from now on.”
 
Trigon and Slade were arguing; that was nothing new. They were so similar, and so different; that any working relationship between the two came with many fights. Slade was cunning, cruel and manipulative. He was a genius and a master of martial arts thanks to his own training and natural abilities. He was an immortal thanks to his wife and the incident that cost him his eyes. Most recently, he was given powers over flame and lightning, thanks to Trigon.
 
However, as bad as Slade may seem - Trigon was worse. He was naturally stronger and larger than the human, and his mind was every bit as cruel and calculating. On a scale of brute strength, few could top the demon. He was also immortal, though he had always been that way and never had to pay the prices that Slade had. Moreover, when it came to special powers; well Trigon had given those to Slade, so of course he had them too. He had the same ones and more.
 
Yes, they may have been working as partners; but Trigon was truly the one running the show -- at least in his mind. They always came to an agreement on the plans, but Trigon had always assumed he would have the final matter. Why? Simple; if you took away everything else, Slade was just a human; while Trigon was still a planet-eating demon.
 
Slade on the other hand knew that while physical Trigon trumped him in every way, the real genius behind everything that had happened - or would happen - came from his demented brain. Even now, Slade was looking ahead to the ending; for he knew how it would end. Robin, Starfire, Cyborg, Beast Boy, Raven and Trigon would all die; leaving Slade alone as the victor. He would have accomplished his longtime goal of destroying the Teen Titans; and his newer goal of killing Trigon.
 
Yes, Slade's real plans were going perfectly. He merely had to wait now and hope that the Titans were doing what he thought they were doing. Of course, if he knew Robin - which he did - the odds were in Slade's favor.
 
“Might I ask why?” Slade asked Trigon at last, returning to the argument at hand.
 
“Because you let them rip your eye out! What the hell was that about?” Trigon demanded.
 
“Yes, Garfield ripped my eye out; and you healed it.” Slade responded boredly. “And you did enchant the keepsake as we planned, without them suspecting a thing, didn't you?”
 
Trigon grunted. “Yes I did, but -”
“Then everything is still going according to plan. It was you, after all, who told me to keep them here as long as possible; and I did. If I'd tried to do things any other way I would have had to kill one, maybe both of them; and we both know you want Raven to suffer when she dies.” Slade was excellent at explaining away his failure.
 
“Not just Raven. That green one too. I hate him the worst.” Trigon responded with venom dripping from his voice.
 
“Because he makes your daughter so happy?” Slade inquired.
 
“Ever since they've been together I've been losing control over her Slade. I will not tolerate that. Her mother was mine. She is mine. There can be no other way. I'm going to go to the palace Slade, to see how badly you screwed up, and you're going to stay here and wait patiently.”
 
Suddenly Slade stopped. Something had just occurred to him; something he would never have thought of under normal circumstances. “Wait. It's a trap.”
 
Trigon's eyebrow rose. “What?”
 
Slade began to laugh; he could not believe how close Robin had come to pulling it off. “Think about it; Raven and Beast Boy tore out my eye. They have made it back by now and undoubtedly told the other Titans. Robin would have realized in a instant that with me down it would be the perfect time for them to turn to tables and strike against us; but they didn't. The only reason I can think of that they wouldn't attack is because they're setting a trap; turning the tables on us.”
 
Trigon's eyes, all four of them, widened. Slade was making sense. “Then what ---”

“Do we do? We have several choices. One of us could go and take their chances. On the other hand, we could do nothing at all, since the keepsake is enchanted. Or my personal favorite, we could turn the tables back and teach the Titans who they're dealing with.”

Trigon did not waste his time asking about the first two options. “What do you need to turn the tables back?”
 
Slade flicked his eye towards the large red demon and behind his mask his lips curved into a deadly smile. “We'll need help. We'll need someone who's dedicated, well-trained and really enjoys killing people he's never met.”
 
“Do you have anyone in mind?” Trigon asked.
 
“Yes. My son.” Slade responded
 
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
 
The plan was perfect, and so far, it was working.
 
They all knew and agreed that with Slade's eye damaged the way Beast Boy had described, this was the perfect time to strike. Robin and Raven, who knew the enemies better than anyone else, had eventually agreed that this most recent turn of events was bound to cause some strife between the two. Raven announced that her father had limited patience and that an incident like this would make him anxious. Robin saw this as wonderful news, since he knew Slade would be made cautious, not anxious and that furthered their theory that the enemies would argue with one another.
 
It was a lot of guess work, a lot of trying to figure out the minds of those they hated most - and neither of them felt like explaining each and every detail to the other Titans; so they bottom lined it. Slade screwed up, and Trigon would have no way of knowing how much damaged had been caused by the screw up without going to the castle and finding out. They would just make sure that everyone at the castle knew the Titans were wiped out from their last battle and resting safely in the underground bunker. They'd also make sure that everyone knew the only way in or out of the bunker was a secret passageway on the outside. Trigon would acquire this information and take this as the perfect chance to finish off the Titans - and when he did, they would be waiting to finish him off, once and for all.

The only problem was the waiting. For the plan to work each of the Titans would have to be in the beds in the underground bunker, pretending to be asleep. They could not really sleep; because they did not know when Trigon would show up. This caused many different problems for the five youths.

Raven alone seemed content. Of everyone, she was the most anxious of the plan. The very idea that her father could finally die - and not come back - was too much. Her emotions were running wild inside her. Happy had been bouncing around like a maniac. Love was making plans for her future with Beast Boy. Doubt was, well, doubting everything and causing a sever anxiety attack; and all the rest were just as excitable. Therefore, Raven had to meditate and keep them under control; and the meditation helped her relax and keep the appearance of someone who was sleeping.
 
Beast Boy was a bigger problem. He knew how important this plan was everyone, and he knew it was most important to Raven. That gave him the resolve and the strength to get though the hideous task of just lying there, doing nothing. Boredom would not get him in trouble - but overacting might. Beast Boy was sprawled out on his bed giving off loud, obnoxious and obviously fake snores every five minutes. Unless Trigon had suddenly become both blind and deaf, he would know Beast Boy was faking it.
 
Starfire's problem was not so much she could not fake it; she was just too restless to fake it properly. She continued to toss and turn and looked like someone who was having a bad dream - unfortunately she continued to open her eyes every few seconds, waiting for something to happen.
 
Cyborg had the best luck of anyone. He actually was asleep. He'd been worn out anyway, and because of his systems he could get away with sleeping for real and still have his scanners set to detect Trigon the moment he arrived; which would automatically wake Cyborg up.
 
As for Robin, he was perfect. His eyes remained closed; but his mind alert. He moved around in bed just enough to give off the appearance of someone who was genuinely asleep. He just had to wait.
 
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
 
“No, I told you before I won't take the hit for any less than ten thousand.” Grant sighed over the phone. “Expensive? You wanted the best. Ten thousand is dirt cheap for my services.”
 
In a tiny office that consisted of a desk, phone, and several overflowing filing cabinets sat Grant Wilson. He was behind that desk, talking on that phone today. At first glance, he could have passed as a private investigator; but Grant's occupation was much very different. He tracked people down and learned their secrets, just like a PI; but then he murdered them. He was a hit man; and one of the best. Of course, that is not much a surprise to anyone familiar with Grant's long and disturbing history.
 
An history that begins with his father, Slade Wilson. Grant and his brother Joseph had been normal children once; though it had been ages ago. In the days when Slade Wilson was nothing more than an assassin himself. Slade had been discharged from the army, but his thirst for a good challenge and for human blood was not satisfied. Therefore, he began looking for a challenge and had tried the assassin-for-hire game for a while. He killed an important man, with important friends - and they tracked him down. Rather than kill Slade, they had gone after his wife Adeline and his children, Grant and Joseph. Slade had arrived in time to save his children - though Joseph's throat was slit and he was left mute. That is when something unexpected happened. Slade's secret was out, and his wife was pissed. She blamed what happened to Joseph on Slade and then she tried to shoot him; she only succeeded in taking out his eye.
 
Slade survived due to his military days. The off the books testing. Chemicals the military had injected him with allowed him to unlock ninety percent of his brain's potential - rather than the ten percent used by average people. The chemicals also enhanced his strength and reflexes. In short, he was stronger, faster and smarter than everyone else on the planet - and he had a thirst for blood. It was due to those events that Slade eventually wound up in Jump City, his sights set on the Teen Titans. It was also because of these events that Grant wound up becoming even worse than his father.
 
Grant had seen mercenaries slash his brother's throat, he had seen his mother shoot his father, and he had been nothing more than a scared child. The years were cruel to him and eventually he wound up as a testing subject for scientist who were funded by the HIVE and studying the same chemicals that had been used on Slade years ago. Grant volunteered to be a test dummy; and that was his worst mistake of all. The chemicals had the same effect on him as they had had on his father - he became faster, stronger and smarter than everyone else, with one notable exception. Rather than unlock ninety percent of Grant's brainpower - it had unlocked all one hundred percent. Not only did it make Grant even deadlier than Slade, but much more insane. At ninety percent Slade could still be considered a genius; he simply chose to act insane. Grant was the real thing; criminally insane in every way. It was his only real weakness.
 
Now Grant was here, in his office, talking on his phone. He was an assassin; and the best. He was paid like the best and he did his job to perfection each time. He was known in the underworld as “The Ravager”. The problem was he had no contract and he was sick of just sitting here. He was not going to take a contact for ten thousand; they could just hire a second-rate killer and let their target live. Grant did not need the money - he just needed the sport.
 
“Fine, then you can find someone else.” Grant spat over the phone before slamming it back on the receiver.

Then there was a knock on the door. Grant had already heard someone approaching it and he was not surprised to see the shadow of a man's body behind the glass window.

“Come in.” Grant called irritably. He had not been surprised that someone had shown up since he had heard them; but nothing could have prepared him for who that someone was. The very second Slade entered the room Grant was on his feet with a murderous look in his eye and his gun drawn.
 
“I won't waste time with reunions.” Slade said without hesitation. He knew his son was the better fighter and the better tactician - but he also knew his son was just a mortal and if there was a fight, Slade would dominate. “I'm here to hire you.”
 
Grant laughed; a real, genuine laugh. “You're lucky I haven't shot you; I wouldn't work for you. Ever; and I don't care how much you offer me.”
 
“I'm not offering you a cent; and yes, you will work for me. Because you like killing people, and that's what I want you to do. I want you to kill my enemies for me.”
 
“Do it yourself.” Grant spat.
 
“I've tried; and I've failed. Multiple times. That's why I know you'll take my contract and that's why I know you'll do it for free - so you can have the pleasure of proving that you're better than me.”
 
This time Grant did pause. He looked his father over for a moment. He looked into the single eye staring out at him from behind the mask. Was this a trick? Probably. Grant's mind was every bit as cunning and deranged as Slade's - and then some. He could smell a manipulation from a mile. Still, the chance to do something his father couldn't do?
 
“I'm in.” Grant conceded. “Just let me get my suit and weapons. You can fill me in on the details on the way. Where are they, anyway? Gotham? Jump?”
“Tamaran. You'll have to leave Earth for this one.”
 
Grant's eyebrow rose a few inches. “I assume you have transportation?”
 
Slade nodded. “Yes, right outside. I'll meet you there.”
 
“How will I find the transport?” Grant inquired.
 
“Look for the big red demon.” Slade replied before slipping out the door and heading downstairs to find Trigon; who was serving as their quick way between Earth and Tamaran.
 
If Grant Wilson was confused by anything, he did not show it. In truth he hated his father and had always hoped a day would come when someone would put out a hit on Slade and allow Grant the pleasure of killing the miserable old man. On the other hand, seeing his father come to him for help was probably the most rewarding thing he would ever experienced. Today was turning out to be a much better day than Grant ever could have hoped for.
 
Slade too, was happy. Why should he not be? He was now successfully manipulating the Titans, Trigon and his son; and everything was going flawlessly.
 
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
 
Bruce's head hurt.
 
The Dark Knight was still in the infirmary, and he was not going anywhere anytime soon. The healers had been working on Bruce and Galfore since they were brought in, and the patients had been slipping in and out of consciousness the entire time. So far neither seemed concerned about their own safety, though at different points both had demanded to know the condition of the Titans and had been met with the same curt two word answer: They're safe.
 
It was not satisfying. Bruce was not content with a “They're safe”. He wanted to know details. He wanted to know if any of them were hurt, and where they were now. It didn't matter to the healers who, aside from being very skilled at mending broken bones and battered bodies, were also great with keeping patients under the influence of Tamaranian pain killers. The healers knew Galfore was trained to withstand the influence of drugs, and they guessed the same was true for Mr. Wayne; so they didn't waste time on breaking out the strongest stuff on the planet - which was more than enough to keep both of the anxious mentors in a coma-like stupor most of the time.
 
Now however, Bruce's dosage was wearing off and the healers had been so quick about mending his injuries that his consciousness was coming back to him. It took him a few moments to regain his wits, but he was Batman; this was nothing more than the Tamaranian version of things he'd been through many times before. It was different, and much more difficult than before; but when it was all boiled down he was still able to pick out the leader of the healers and address him in a strong voice.
 
“What happened to us?” It was a question, but also a demand. Bruce was in no place to issue orders and the healer could easily put him back under the medication - but it was apparent that Bruce would not give up until he was either dead, in a coma or given the answers he was seeking. The healer seemed to realize this as well.
 
“I was not informed of the details, Master Wayne. Only that you and Master Galfore are to be given the finest care so that you may make the quickest recovery possible. In addition, you are under military guard for your protection. Other than that, I know nothing more than you do; and that is the truth.”
 
The answers did not satisfy Bruce, but he knew the healer was being honest. Restless as he may be, Bruce allowed that to be the end of the conversation and he sat back against the pillow to let the healers finish their job. It seemed that was the only way he actually be able to solve his riddles.
 
 
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
 
“Alright, let's go over the plan.” Slade announced.
 
Grant had finished packing his bags and he had found Trigon as easily as his father had suggested he might. The demon had not addressed the son of Slade once since they had encountered one another; and Grant was fine with that. He was not here for the demon's benefit; he was here to prove his supremacy over his father; that was all. If that required him to kill strangers, or work with demons, or even aid in the widespread destruction of an entire civilization - so be it.
 
Currently Grant, Slade and Trigon were perched on a hill not far from the castle. They could see the outer walls and the burnt-out towers; though the reconstruction effort was ahead and most of the damage inflicted before had been repaired or at least cleaned. Guards were still swarming the grounds and rumors were still flying about. Now it was time to make sure everything went the way they wanted it too.
 
“Trigon, go eavesdrop on the conversations. If I'm right you should hear some very useful information.”
 
The demon had already made it clear that he was not one to be ordered around; but this time he did not argue. Using the same trick he had when he went to enchant the keepsake, Trigon turned himself into a nearly invisible state and then bounded off towards the castle. While he was gone, Grant turned to his father.
 
“How did you get involved with that, thing?” He asked.
 
“That's quite a story, but we don't have time for it now.” Slade responded. “If circumstances allow, I'll tell you later.”
 
Grant shook his head. “No. I'd rather not know. Whatever mistake you made to land you in that creatures debt, I won't be stupid enough to make myself.”
 
Behind his mask, Slade smirked to himself. His son was itching to prove his superiority to his father; and completely unaware that he had already made the very same mistake he was so arrogantly claiming he was too smart to make. Slade did not respond to his son's arrogance, though. That would have been a dead giveaway - and besides, Trigon was back.
 
When Trigon returned and his skin once again became visible, he looked pleased. “Apparently the rumor around the base is the Titans are all worn-out from preparation for an assault against us. They're sleeping it off in secure beds in the underground bunker; and every entrance is under the heaviest possible guard. Every entrance except one. The secret tunnel that leads out of the room also leads into it; and no guards are posted outside since it's so secret we couldn't possible know about it.”
 
Slade laughed. This was priceless. “Exactly as I thought. Robin's good, but he's not good enough. We were supposed to hear these rumors and then rush down into the unguarded entrance where we'll undoubtedly walk right into a trap. I knew they were trying to play us; but I hadn't expected it would be this easy to play them right back.”
 
“Are you going to brag or tell us what to do?” Grant snapped, growing impatient. He was ecstatic to hear things were going so well, but he was also in a hurry to finish this job.
 
“We're going to throw them a curve ball. They'll be expecting Trigon, and they'll have a back up plan just on the off-chance I show up anyway; but they don't even know you exist Grant; and that's our upper hand.” Slade responded. “Trigon, go back to the palace and really sneak around. There's more than one secret entrance to that bunker. I'm sure the others are well guarded - and hurry up.”
 
Once more Trigon became invisible on command, and once more he vanished to the castle. This time he took longer, for he had to sneak past the guards on the inside and he had to find the best way in. He could guess what Slade's plan was, and secretly he had to admit it was a brilliant one. Slade was smarter than normal humans. He may be the smartest human of them all. Still, he was only human. Finally Trigon found what Slade was undoubtedly looking for - a second hidden entrance. The entrance was located inside the military bunker just off the left-hand side of the castle's main entrance. The passageway inside lead directly into the throne room of the underground bunker; which was only a skip away from the room the Titans were waiting in.
 
After returning and informing Slade of this, the one-eyed mastermind's glee grew considerably.
 
“Excellent. Then it's time we do this. Trigon, go to the unguarded entrance and walk into their trap just like they want you too. While you do that, Grant and I will break into that bunker, kill the guards, and head down the other way. Once we're inside we'll turn the tables on the Titans.”
 
“Wait.” Trigon said at once. “Who exactly are we killing? I want Raven and the green one to suffer; not die quickly. And I'd assumed you were waiting for the Trials to kill those other two.”
 
Slade laughed. “We're not killing anybody.”
 
Both Trigon and Grant froze and looked at Slade as if he had lost his mind. Slade however, explained quickly. “I take it back, I'm not killing anybody; and neither of you are to touch Robin or Starfire. Kill the others, if you want. I still plan to have Robin and Starfire die in the Trials, just like I've planned since day one. This was never about killing them. This was about something so much better.”
 
“What's that?” Grant asked, skeptic.
 
“Proving that no matter how hard they try, no matter how well they plan and no matter how good they think they are; they still can't beat me.” Slade responded. “Crushing Robin's hope, seeing him agonize over his mistake; that's much better than killing him. Making him realize he's no match for me and rubbing his nose in it is better than simply exterminating him. Given your history with Raven you can understand, can't you Trigon?”
 
Trigon was grinning. “So you're saying we walk into their trap, show them how easily we could kill them; and then leave without claiming a single life? You're saying that everything we do tonight should be out of arrogance and spite?”
 
“Exactly.”
 
“I like that idea.” Trigon responded, a sadistic grin spreading across his warped face.
 
“So nobody dies?” Grant asked, sounding irritated and disappointed.
 
“A bunch of guards are going to die; and you can kill Cyborg if you want.” Slade offered.
 
“Works for me.” Grant shrugged. As long as he has somebody to kill, the day would not be a total waste.
 
There was nothing left to discuss. Both sides had made “perfect” plans, and it was time to see which was better.

The Titans were being handed a perfect opportunity to destroy their enemies for the last time; a chance to end things. The villains had this same chance, the same odds and the same opportunity for things reach a conclusion. Perhaps there would be one winner and one loser, and there is supposed to be.
 
More likely, the “perfect” plans would conflict and result in sheer chaos. Then there would be only one certain thing: the conclusion was still far, far away.
 
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
 
A/N: I know, I know; I'm sure you were all expecting the “perfect plan” to actually go down in this chapter. Originally I was expecting that to happen as well; but the actual result of all the planning turned out to be a scene so long I had to save it for fifteen. Trust me, okay? Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter.

Oh, and as for Grant Wilson and the website I mentioned:
 
www . titanstower . com (remove spaces as needed.)
 
Seriously, it's a great site. It doesn't focus on the cartoon titans, but the cartoon is based on the comics to a point; and this site has so much crap about the original comics that it's hard not to find something interesting. I've used it a lot in this story. Anyway, figured some of you may want to take a look.

Well, a few reviews would be nice; I'm going to go get started on future chapters now.
 
See you next time.
~Golden-sama