Fan Fiction ❯ Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, For You ❯ Starfire's Rebellion ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, For You
 
Chapter Seventeen
“Starfire's Rebellion”
 
A/N: No real notes, just reviews of the reviews. Thanks again for your feedback. ^^
 
IllegalDayNightSnappingIguana: Hyper. Now there's a feeling I can relate too. Not today, since I didn't sleep at all last night; but in general. ^^
You're right, it is hard to find time to update. I just get lucky with my quickness `cause I can't leave the house and my mom works at the office during the week; so I have several hours a day in which I literally have nothing to do. Although once my legs heal I'll be able to leave the house again, and update speed might diminish for me.
O'course Beast Boy had to be taken; I'm very cruel to him. I don't know why, I like Beast Boy. He's actually one of my favorite characters. I just tend to have him beaten, burnt, nearly-killed, turn traitor, and now I've let him be kidnapped by evil cultists. Hmm. Maybe I should lighten up on the guy, huh? I can see how you'd realize it wasn't going to be Cyborg; Cyborg really has added very little to this fanfic at all. I don't know why.
Heh, I must stop typing now too. Well, no, I have to keep typing; I just have to start typing the actual chapter so I get it done today. As always, thank you for your review. ^^ It always makes me feel good to know people are reading.
 
Dramaelfie: Well thank you! I'm glad you think so; and I hope this chapter doesn't disappoint.
 
Pickles12: I have written more; and here it is. Chapter Seventeen; hope the wait wasn't too long.
Hope the wait wasn't too long on everyone. I've got a ton of inspiration and I'll have the computer every day till Friday; so I have a sneaky suspicious that Eighteen will be up very soon. Enough notes though; time for the fanfiction!
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
 
It was brilliant.
 
Trigon had always considered himself superior to everyone, in every way; and this was proof in his opinion. He had sat back and allowed Slade to make the decisions. He had allowed Slade to form the plans, to execute them, and he had allowed Slade to treat him like a fool. Indeed, Trigon probably looked like he was nothing more than a big red demon that shouted a lot and was obsessed with killing his daughter.
 
Hah. If only they knew. Slade, the Titans - none of them could even begin to ponder what was going on inside Trigon's supreme mind. They all seemed to miss the point - which was simple. Slade made things complicated by his various schemes and plans and his hidden agendas. The Titans made things even more complicated by trying to avoid traps and turn them around on their attackers. When would they understand that it was all very simple?

Trigon the Terrible was having fun; and when that fun stopped, everyone was going to die. That was the bottom line.
 
Before, in the infirmary; Trigon had screwed up. He knew that. He had allowed his anger to cloud his better judgment; and he had paid the price when Cyborg and Beast Boy had beaten him. It was a stupid mistake; and it would not happen again. Still, despite his mistake; Trigon was enjoying himself. On the outside, he may appear to be a big stupid demon that barked orders at Slade and broke things when he did not get his way - and there was some truth to that; he had trouble controlling his anger - but he was much more than that. He was cold, calculating and a sheer genius.
 
When Trigon wanted things to end, they would end. His plan - his real, true plan - had not changed. He would torment his daughter and her friends for as long as it remained entertaining; and then he would simply devour Tamaran. He would eat the planet. Slade, the Titans, the natives - he would eat them all once they bored him; and then he would move on and find a new way to occupy his time. It was simplicity. He was immortal; the only way to truly stop Trigon would be to destroy him. Every inch of his body, every fiber of his being would have to be annihilated. Each individual atom that made up his being would need to be destroyed before he'd be gone for good.
 
He was immortal; he was invincible; and he was having fun watching the people around him. The lesser species. It was fun to him, watching them struggle with one another. The plans, the traps, the failures and the victories - none of it really mattered. Trigon merely had to play the role of “big stupid demon” a little longer; and then he could enjoy a hearty laugh at the end when he destroyed all life on the planet - by devouring the planet.
 
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
 
Beast Boy was confused. Confusion was not really a new emotion for him, but this time the confusion mixed with a horrible sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach; and that worried him. Things were different now than they had been when he went to sleep.
 
Firstly, he really did not want to be awake yet. He had been in the middle of a delightful dream involving Raven, massive amounts of tofu and a swimming pool filled with chocolate sauce. He didn't have time to reflect on it now, though, since his current situation was about as bad as the dream had been good.
 
Now Beast Boy was sitting on a cold, stone floor. There wasn't much light and his eyes were having trouble adjusting to the darkness. However, the tired feelings that had been keeping his senses at bay were finally dispersing and he was beginning to realize just how bad his current state of affairs was. He was able to confirm two important things at this point; he was not in the palace and he was not alone.

“Starfire!” Beast Boy noticed the unconscious body of his friend, lying a few feet away from where he sat. He was relieved to see a familiar face; but he wasn't too happy about her condition. She was still asleep - at least Beast Boy hoped she was only sleeping - and they were still stuck in a dark, unknown place.
 
Beast Boy scampered over to Starfire's body and was relieved to see she was still breathing. They had been kidnapped; it was becoming clear. Beast Boy didn't know by whom (although he had a good guess) nor did he know why it was only the two of them. Instantly he began to worry about the others - and just as quickly he stopped. He had to focus. He had to wake Starfire up; that was his first priority. If he panicked now it would be bad.
 
“Starfire, wake up!” Beast Boy bent down low towards her face and began trying to awaken her. He didn't want to shout - since he didn't know who or what else may be around - but he couldn't whisper either. It was confusing, and irritating. Luck, it seemed, was returning. Starfire yawned and opened her eyes; for a moment, she had a sleepy smile on her face. Then she blinked several times and her face turned from sleepy, to curious.
 
“Friend, why are so close to my face?” Starfire asked; she was her usual sweet self but it was clear she was also a little uneasy about waking up to find Beast Boy leaning over her. Beast Boy took no notice of the uneasy; he was relieved she was alive and he was also preoccupied thinking about how bad things still looked.
 
“Starfire; we're in trouble.” Beast Boy responded. He backed himself up so that Starfire could sit up; which she did. Instantly Starfire blinked again and the uneasy, sleepy face she'd been wearing turned serious.
 
“What - Beast Boy, where are we?” Now that Starfire had sat up, she quickly realized she wasn't in her bed; or her castle. Any trace of sleep was gone; replaced with the same worry and insecurity that had tackled Beast Boy upon his awakening.
 
“I think we were kidnapped Star. We're not in the palace or the bunker-thingy; that's for sure.” Beast Boy responded. It was apparent that they hadn't come here by their own choice; and things like this had been going on for so long he had a good guess as to who had kidnapped them.
 
“What of Robin?” Starfire asked suddenly, the worry in her voice doubled. “And Raven and Cyborg?”
 
Beast Boy sighed and looked down at his feet. “I don't know Star. I haven't seen any sign of them; and I don't have my communicator.”
 
“Your alien devices won't work in this temple anyway, Beast Boy.”
 
Both Starfire and Beast Boy froze for a moment. A third voice was speaking from behind them. They both realized very quickly that it wasn't Slade or Trigon; or anyone else they could recognize. That added to the confusion - and the danger; but it did not change their reaction. Robin may not have been there to say his usual lines; but the reaction was tattooed into their brains. Starfire's fists and eyes became green; and Beast Boy became a tiger. They both turned to find themselves face to face with Vladim'r; and several of his followers.

“You can resist, but I assure you we will defeat you.” Vladim'r hissed. “My magicks are stronger than you can imagine, and each of the men behind me are willing to die for our cause if they have too. We worship death and pain; and embrace both willingly. So by all means, attack us - it will only prolong the inevitable.”
 
Starfire and Beast Boy remained immobile. Neither of them lowered their defenses; but both admitted secretly to themselves that they were outnumbered at least three to one; and these people looked serious. Each of the Cultists behind Vladim'r was holding a knife of some kind; some had more than one. Vladim'r himself had no weapon, but he had mentioned something about magic and both Titans knew from experience that magical enemies could be a real pain.
 
Since they paused, however, Vladim'r began to speak again with a dangerously smug voice. “Good choice. Now allow me to explain some things to you. My name is Vladim'r, and I am the Archpriest of the Cult of K'monte. You are in our temple. You now have two choices. You can surrender and serve K'monte as slaves of this temple; if you choose this you will be digging for important artifacts; but you will be alive. Your second choice is to resist; in which case you will either be killed now, or captured and used as a live sacrifice to K'monte. Those are your only choices; so choose.”
 
Starfire knew what she wanted to do, and she knew what she had to do. Unfortunately, they weren't the same thing. She wanted to charge forward and teach Vladim'r a very painful lesson about kidnapping people and threatening them - but she would not. The truth was, they were outnumbered. Vladim'r and his followers were too numerous for Starfire and Beast Boy to fight - and there was another problem. She did not know where Robin, Raven or Cyborg were; or what condition they were in. For all she knew they too had been kidnapped and were being held somewhere else. She doubted it, though. She believed they were busy trying to rescue their stolen comrades now. Which is why she made the choice she did.
 
Reluctantly, Starfire let the green fury die from her hands and eyes and she dropped her hands to her side. Beast Boy seemed to have reached the same conclusion in his head too - because a moment after Starfire surrendered, he resumed his human form and did the same. Vladim'r seemed please.
 
“Excellent choice. Take them away.” Vladim'r turned with a satisfied smirk and began to walk away; as he did, the other healers swarmed around Starfire and Beast Boy and began leading them off into the dark. The Titans paid more attention to each other than their surroundings; preferring to shoot cryptic glances and ask wordless questions with their faces rather than study where they were going. They needed an escape plan.
 
All too quickly they had reached a new room; this one had plenty of light, and plenty to see. Things became clear very quickly - and both titans gasped out in horror as they did. Firstly, they learned they were in some sort of temple. The walls and ceiling were all-old and made of stacked stone; with etches of symbols and runes carved in them. Starfire didn't recognize any of them; so she guessed it was an older temple. The second and much more horrifying thing they noticed was they were not alone. The floors of the temple, at least in this room, had been removed. Now there was only dirt and rock - and tons of slaves digging in the rock. Men, women and children, all Tamaranians, were gathered all over the room. Each wore tattered clothing and was covered in a mixture of dirt, sweat and blood - they'd all been here a while. Each carried different mining tools and each was hard at work; and each looked to be in sheer hell. There were cultists around too; many of them. Each cultist was dressed the same as those leading Beast Boy and Starfire; and they each carried a whip, knife or staff and looked like they enjoyed tormenting any slave who slacked off.
 
“This is horrible.” Beast Boy whispered. He was shocked to see something like this; it was truly a sickening sight.
 
“Silence!” One of the Cultists shouted as his whip cracked. “You have no reason to speak!”
 
Beast Boy gulped. Things were worse than he imagined. Fighting back was impossible - there were too many of his fellow slaves around who would undoubtedly get hurt. Besides, if these cultists were even half as sick as Vladim'r they would probably attack all of the slaves if Beast Boy and Starfire tried to escape. Once again it was clear they had made the only choice they could; digging would have to do for now.
 
“These are yours.” One of the Cultists had appeared in front of Starfire and Beast Boy and thrown a pair of shovels on the ground in front of them. “Pick a spot and start digging. Your job is to dig. Talking is not required. If you find anything, you show it to one of us right away; or you will be tortured. Understand?”
 
Without waiting for an answer, the cultist turned and walked away. Apparently they weren't afraid of an escape attempt. Beast Boy and Starfire reluctantly took the shovels and hurried down into one of the digging pits. It was relatively empty - only a young boy was inside, hammering away at the old rock. A few cultists were standing nearby; as well as some other Tamaranian men who weren't dressed like the healers; they were hired guards. They didn't believe in the cult; but they worked for them. Each was large and dressed primarily in black.
 
Starfire choose a spot she hoped would allow them some privacy. They could be seen, of course; but hopefully they could whisper to each other without attracting unwanted attention. She began to dig; and Beast Boy did the same. Neither of them really concentrated on the work; and neither of them used their full strength. They'd need to save it for their escape - if it ever came.
 
“Starfire, I'm sure the others are looking for us right now.” Beast Boy whispered the first chance he got.
 
“How can you be sure they are not here as well? Already forced into digging for these monsters?” Starfire asked back, her temper was near the surface and her voice was as hot as steam. She was nearing her breaking point. She'd been beaten, kidnapped and now she was forced to watch innocent people be forced into horrible labor.
“If someone gave Raven and shovel and told her to dig, she'd totally do that creepy demon thing she does.” Beast Boy responded, a small grin slipping past his face. “And dude, Robin wouldn't listen to these guys either. That's why they kidnapped us Star; think about it, we're the softies.”
 
“I will show them soft.” Starfire hissed back, her eyes burning with fury. Beast Boy was surprised - he hadn't seen Starfire this angry in a long time. Usually it took people like Kitten, or Blackfire to bring this side of Starfire out - and even then she wasn't like this.
 
“Starfire, calm down.” Beast Boy whispered quickly. “We're outnumbered; if we start a fight now then it won't just be us who gets hurt. The other slaves will get blasted too.”
 
“You do not understand!” Starfire was still whispering; but her voice was loud and it would be hard for the guards not to hear her if she continued this way. “The people of Tamaran look up to my family to protect them from things like this; but my family has been too preoccupied with the Trials to do anything.”
 
“Star, I don't know your parents all that well; but from what I've seen they look like the type who would have gone all-out on these cultists if they knew what was happening. And now that we're here, I'm sure they'll send in the entire military as soon as they realize what happened.”
 
Starfire wasn't convinced. Either because of her anger, or her doubts. “How will they find us?” She asked him, her voice quieted and calmer but still dangerously loud.
 
“Raven'll find us.” Beast Boy responded at once. “You know the whole mind thingy? She'll tell Robin, and Robin will tell your dad, and your dad will get the military and then all the cultists will get what they deserve; but dude, we have to wait on them. I want to fight these guys just as bad as you do Star, but I don't want to get these other slaves in any trouble.”
 
“We're in trouble already.”
 
Beast Boy and Starfire's conversation suddenly came to an abrupt stop. They both turned to find the young slave boy who had been digging in the corner of the same pit. He was still digging and his back was turned to them; but he had obviously moved much closer, eavesdropping.
 
“Keep digging!” The boy hissed. “Don't let the guards see you stop!”
 
Starfire and Beast Boy quickly took his advice.
 
“My name is Taro.” The boy explained. “And you are Princess Koriand'r, aren't you?”
 
“Yes, I am.” Starfire replied. She didn't bother to ask the boy how he'd known it was her. Their conversation must have tipped him off; that or he had seen her before.
 
“I'm a bit confused by what I heard.” Taro responded. “However, I can tell you this - we've been planning a revolt against the cultist for weeks now. Every one of us, man, woman and child alike have already agreed we would rather fight than dig. If we all fight together, we outnumber the cultists by three to one. We could win.”
 
Starfire blinked. “Then why haven't you?”
 
Taro sighed. His voice became sad and his head fell. “We have a problem. We would need a leader - someone everyone would listen too. We can't agree on one. And . . . and there is no more time. You see, this is only one of two places where the slaves work. The other place though, it is where they keep the troublemakers; the slaves who try to escape. After a week at the other place they use you as a live sacrifice. My sister is one of the troublemakers, and today will make the seventh day since she was taken to the other digging chamber. So . . . so we need a leader today or . . .” Taro began to break off, his eyes beginning to swell with tears and his nose running. He was sniffing between his words, as well.
 
“I am sorry.” Starfire responded, wishing she could do more than whisper the words. “If I could find you a leader I would.”
 
“No!” Taro shook his head and quickly wiped his face on his sleeve. “You misunderstand me Your Grace. What I am trying to ask is . . . would you be our leader?”
 
Starfire nearly dropped her shovel. “Me?”
 
“You are our Princess. If you volunteered to lead us, not a single soul would turn you down.” Taro responded proudly.
 
“I, I have no experience. I would not -“”

Beast Boy cut her off. “That isn't true Star. You've pulled some impressive stuff off before. You totally brought down Slade's spaceship single-handed way back when we first got here. And remember the time you saved Silky? And I'm sure you've learned a few things from spending so much time with Robin.”

Starfire still looked unsure, but Taro turned around and looked at her. It was the first time they saw him face to face. He was younger than she'd originally though - not only was he a child, but he couldn't have been any more than ten or eleven years old. Despite his age, his face had been hardened by the world and his eyes were swirling with a sadness she had never seen before. “Please your highness, for my sister?”
 
To Starfire it was a simple choice. She could never say no; not in situations like this. Starfire hadn't said no when Beast Boy asked her to hide a mutant moth larva in her room - and that had been a mutant moth larva; if she could not turn it down, how could she possibly say no to a child who wanted to rescue his beloved sister?
 
“I would be honored to lead your rebellion.” Starfire replied, and she meant every word.
 
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
 
“What do we do?”
 
That was the question being asked in the Royal's room. Myand'r, Luand'r, Batman and Galfore were the only ones admitted inside the throne room now as they pondered an answer. They were behind on the news; but not quite as behind as usual. Together, by exchanging information and following a few leads they had managed to learn that Robin, Raven and Cyborg were out looking for Beast Boy and Starfire. It had not been a good conversation.
 
Myand'r was furious. His daughter was missing and no one seemed to know where she was or who had taken her. Slade and Trigon were, of course, the prime suspects. If the King had had his way search parties would be out in full searching for all five of the Titans - but Bruce had stomped out that idea.
“We have no evidence that any of them are in immediate danger; and they've proven they're strong.” Wayne had explained. “I want to help them too; but if we rush into things we could only complicate matters - and leave this castle defenseless. You still have a duty to your people, your highness.”
 
Myand'r had not liked this explanation; but he couldn't ignore the sage-like wisdom in Bruce Wayne's words.
 
“We know Robin, Raven and Cyborg only left to find Beast Boy and Starfire.” Galfore rationalized. “And we know Beast Boy and Starfire did not leave by choice. If we find Slade and Trigon, we should be able to find them all.”
 
“The guards were all murdered horribly.” The Queen recalled. “However, there was something strange about their deaths. The expressions on their faces looked so painful; but there was no actual damage to their bodies. In the past it was different.”
 
Suddenly Galfore's eyes widened in an indescribable emotion; It wasn't horror - it was beyond horror. It was almost as if he'd just realized something so shocking and so appalling he himself could scarily believe it; which was exactly what had happened. “Are you certain that is how they died, my queen?” He asked.
 
“Yes, quite sure. I saw the bodies myself.” Luand'r replied, a grim curiosity in her voice. “Galfore, what does it mean?” She could read his face and she did not like what she saw.
 
“When you were gone, there was a series of murders committed in the same fashion.” Galfore explained, the aghast tone still in his voice. “I lead and investigation and we learned of a Cult that worshiped an old demon idol called K'monte. A Cult known as the `Cult of Everlasting Pain'. Many of the cultists were Royal Healers - I saw to it that they were arrested and executed; but the circumstances are so similar. The Titans were under the care of Royal Healers; it seems like too much of a coincidence.”
 
“You think this cult could have Starfire and Beast Boy?” Batman asked, already caught on.

“Yes. I cannot say why. Perhaps because the Princess is who she is, or perhaps they are working with Slade and Trigon; but the evidence is too much for me to ignore.”
 
“Then we must find this cult!” Myand'r roared at once.
 
“We can search the temple they used to use.” Galfore suggested.
 
“Wait.” Batman cut them both off. “Robin, Raven and Cyborg. They don't know anything about this cult. They'll be looking for Slade and Trigon.”
 
“It is all one large, well-planned trap.” Galfore realized quietly with a voice filled with both angst and anger.
 
“Yeah, looks like it; but I have a plan.”
 
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
 
A/N: There you are, Chapter Seventeen. I know, it wasn't very exciting; but the action really picks up in Eighteen; which will be up ASAP. Eighteen should be online by or before April 08, 2005.
 
Until then, reviews would be nice, thank you all very much for reading, and I'll see you soon.
 
-Golden-sama (Brando)