Fan Fiction ❯ Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, For You ❯ The Trials of Tamaran (Part II) ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, For You
 
Chapter Twenty
“The Trials of Tamaran (Pt. II)”
 
scathac's warrior: Mmm. Killing/torturing/maiming Trigon and his minions does sound like a fun Saturday night. Raven's got a plan; don't you worry. The real question is, will her plan work?
 
xBxMYxJaMeSxDeANxcandyclouds: Okay, okay! I promise there won't be a cliffhanger in this chapter. I was going to make one, but I'll be good and leave this one nice and cliffie-free just for you. As for the keepsake being enchanted; that happened way back in chapter 12 or so; Trigon snuck into the infirmary and enchanted it with his evil demon powers. Anyway, thank you for the review as always and I'll try to ease up on the evil cliffhangers.
 
MegamiRhiannon: I shall indeed update quickly! Oh, and a huge thanks to you; you've left the 100th review and that really made my day. ^^ Mucho gracias mi amigo!
 
Shintotchi: ^^ I'm glad you enjoyed both of them; and I'm delighted to hear you liked Raven's lines. As for waiting on the Trigon vrs BBRaeCy; well wait no longer; the battle is here!
 
Dramaelfie: I'm glad to hear you say that. ^^ And who said someone was going to die? I mean, someone is going to die; but who told you? -snickers- Enjoy the chapter.
 
DarkSin: Aww, stop it! You're making me blush. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed it, and I hope this chapter is liked just as much.
 
[Ch20] Robin and Starfire arrive in the catacombs to find the keepsake; instead they find Slade. Meanwhile Trigon plans to devour the entire planet and everyone on it; leaving Raven and the others to try to stop him once and for all. [RobStar] [BBRae]
 
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
 
The passageways of the catacombs were one of the most dangerous places Robin had ever been. That was saying something, considering some of the places he had found himself stuck in during his extensive crime-fighting career. This place was as confusing as one of the Riddler or Mumbo's traps, as dangerous as many of the places he'd ventured too while hunting Slade, and filled with monsters meaner than most of the supervillians he'd combated over the years. Still, whether it was a three-toed geroff, or an entire nest of necroflies; Starfire and Robin managed to survive the battle.
 
They had been moving deeper and deeper through the catacombs, always their eyes darting in every direction for some sign of the keepsake; or for some sign that they were not alone. Generally they found the latter, and wound up in another brief but very dangerous battle. Starfire's high spirits were still soaring; but she no longer made a show of it. The same happiness sparkled in her eyes, but she was at her most serious as a warrior. Robin's demeanor was calm and his head was cool; he was ready for anything.
 
Then the couple arrived in a large, open area. The usual darkness was pierced not only by their combination of starbolt charges and flashlight beams; but also by a tiny beam of natural lighting. The beam came from a tiny crack in the ceiling; and the moment the youths saw this they realized where it came from. The same tiny crack they had dropped the keepsake inside. It was here. It was in this room.
 
“Robin!” Starfire squealed, dropping her serious demeanor at the sight of this. “It is here! We have arrived!”
 
“I know Star.” Robin replied, unable to hide the excitement in his own voice. He hadn't admitted it until now, but for a long time he'd been just as excited about these Trials as Starfire; though he was a lot less obvious about it. It was a side-effect of being raised by Batman; he knew how to hide emotion, usually.
 
Starfire floated over towards the beam of light before Robin could stop her. The coral ball was sitting at the very base of the beam, illuminated for all to see. Starfire's face lit up like a Christmas tree and before she could stop herself, she was on her hands and knees, her face inches away from the keepsake just staring at it. She did not want to touch it yet - she was waiting for Robin. They had to touch it together.
 
That's when she noticed something. There was something else lying close to the keepsake. Starfire's eyes widened in silent horror as she realized what it was and she opened her mouth. She tried to call out so that she could warn Robin; but no sound escaped her now-completely dry throat. They had run into the one creature she had been hoping they would not. Giant unknown monsters, necroflies and geroffs were all bad; but this was worse. This was the most dangerous animal on Tamaran; and one of her personal fears.
 
Curled up a few feet away from the Starfire, staring directly at her with its baseball sized ruby-red eyes, was a large pink snake, over ten feet in length. It had the same strange body as the ones Shady had set loose on the ship in the beginning of their trip; it resembled a worn-out camping bag, instead of scales. Green patters in the shape of rectangles covered its back and the rest of its body was pink.
 
“S-S-S-S-hoe worm.” Starfire managed to sputter quietly, hoping to warn Robin.
 
“Did you find something Starfire?” Robin was on the other side of the room with his back turned to her. He heard the sound of her voice; but he hadn't identified the words she said. Robin turned his head casually to the side and that's when he spotted the scene unfolding through the green glow on Starfire's hands. The moment he saw the shoe worm, Robin sprinted into action. He grabbed a bird-a-rang in mid run and threw it - and in perfect timing too.

The shoe worm was hungry; and it didn't want to pass up a meal as delicious as Starfire. Most of the time it was stuck raiding necrofly nests for its meals; but today it would be delighted to eat and entire Tamaranian. The shoe worm reared its head up and barred its fangs; but Robin's bird-a-rang struck it in the side of the head and sent it plummeting to the side, dead, before it could strike. Robin arrived a moment later, kicked the body of the shoe worm away, and dropped down to his knees so he could take Starfire in his arms.
 
“I hate those things.” Robin said.
 
Starfire looked up at him apologetically; but he shook his head. He had already established her fear of shoe worms back on the ship with Shady; and he could not blame her for it. That's when Robin noticed the coral ball sitting in the light next to them. He nodded towards it with his head and Starfire's face went from apologetic to brimming with joy.
 
“You did find it.” Robin laughed.
 
“I did.” Starfire grinned back.
 
“On three?” Robin asked.
 
“One.” Was Starfire's response.

“Two.” Robin replied, he and Starfire both had they hands poised above the keepsake now.
 
“Three!” They shouted together, and they let their hands fall onto the keepsake. The moment their hands fell, the keepsake began to glow. Robin and Starfire both drew their hands back and looked down at the glowing keepsake with quizzical stares. Then they looked at one another; though they found no answers in each other's eyes.
 
“Is there some other part to the trials that I missed?” Robin asked and he jumped up to his feet and took a step backwards. The coral ball was still glowing; but now it was floating too. Tiny bolts of what appeared to be lightning were swirling around it.
 
“If it is, I too missed it.” Starfire replied; she was at Robin's side and her eyes were fixed on the keepsake. Something was wrong; this wasn't supposed to happen.
 
Then there was sound like thunder; and a flash of light. It sounded like the keepsake had blown apart, but the white light that illuminated the room was too bright for either Titan to see. It lasted only a split-second; and when the light vanished, the answer became depressingly clear.

A moment ago, the keepsake had been floating in front of them. Now the only thing in front of Starfire and Robin was Slade Wilson.
 
“I must admit I didn't give the two of you enough credit.” Slade's cutting voice called from behind the mask. “You slipped past Shady, defeated one of the finest assassins in the universe, survived a multitude of traps designed by yours truly, survived assaults by both myself and Trigon, defeated the cultists and made it through the Trials of Tamaran. You've both changed so much since our first encounter.”
 
“You haven't changed.” Robin replied.

“Oh no?” Slade challenged.
 
“No. You're always the same. You play your mind games and set your traps; you manipulate everyone around you, be they good or evil; and you always fail. Then you always try to do things yourself; and still you fail. You're pathetic Slade; you couldn't beat us then, and you can't beat us now.”
 
Slade withdrew his bo-staff and held it behind him in his right hand. His legs dropped down into a battle stance and he extended his right hand forward; making a “come-and-get-me” signal with his fingers.

“You've been a fun challenge Robin; but this will be our last battle.” Slade informed him.
 
“That's music to my ears.” Was all Robin said in response. He had drawn his own bo-staff and was standing in a battle stance similar to Slade's. The long-time rivals were completely oblivious to everything else around them; which is why neither Robin nor Slade was ready for what happened next.
 
A starbolt collided with Slade's chest and sent him sprawling backwards into the ground; he landed in the beam of light from the cracks high above. As Slade tried to recover, Starfire let out a yell and began raining additional Starbolts down on top of him. She had been standing quietly at Robin's side; but no more. After firing the first shot, she'd flown up into the air and was now hurling bolt after bolt at Slade; stopping only to fire the equally green lasers from her eyes every now and then.
 
Robin stood silently. He hadn't seen this coming; but he wasn't going to complain. Starfire was not holding back and Robin didn't want to get in the way. The pounding she was now dishing out to Slade looked like it would be enough to decimate a small army; and while Slade was much more dangerous than most small armies, his chances were still looking bad.
 
Finally Starfire stopped. She floated down and landed next to Robin with a serious-looking face and anger in her eyes. “I am truly tired of him.” She informed Robin.
 
“The feeling is mutual.” Robin grinned. He knew Slade was the master of comebacks; but getting back up after a beating like that would be hard, even for him.

“The keepsake!” Starfire gasped, suddenly remembering. She looked at Robin with hopeful eyes; but she already knew what he would say.

“It shattered. This was a trap, Starfire. I'm sorry.” Robin's eyes filled with sorrow, and his voice was a bit hoarse. These Trials had been important to Starfire; more important than most things. Robin had seen her get passionate about things before; but ever since the Trials had been mentioned, it seemed like her enthusiasm was higher than normal. Now, it was all another trap.
 
“Then it has been pointless. We cannot finish the trials without a keepsake; and the entire reason we came to Tamaran was to finish the trials! None of this matters!” Starfire fell to her knees and she finally broke down. Even after all the beatings, the fights, the traps and tricks she'd held her head up high; but now she was defeated.
 
“Yes it does!” Robin snapped back at her; angry. She looked up at him, her teary eyes full of confusion. Robin had never taken this tone with her before. He'd never yelled like that at any of his friends. It was frightening.
 
“Starfire, you listen to me. This was a trap; I know. Slade's a pain in the ass, and I realize it seams bad; but if you honestly believe that all of this has been for nothing; then you're not the Starfire I know. We've saved countless lives, you freed hundreds of slaves, we exposed a traitor in your parent's court, and Beast Boy and Raven never would have admitted their feelings for each other if we hadn't have come here. So don't say this was all for nothing. The Starfire I know - the Starfire I love - would never say that.”
 
That was enough for her. Starfire suddenly realized what Robin had known all along; the Trials were pointless. It didn't matter that the keepsake had exploded, and therefore they had failed the Trials. It didn't matter because she knew Robin loved her just as much as she loved him; and she knew they would be together. Nothing could separate them; they wouldn't let it; and they didn't need a test to learn that.

“You are right.” Starfire replied, throwing her arms around him in a hug. “And I am sorry. I thought we had to pass the trials to be in love; I was wrong.”

“I have news for you Starfire; we did pass the trials. The keepsake doesn't matter; what matters is you know how I feel about you and I know how you feel about me. Nothing else is important.”
 
Starfire leaned back and looked at him. “I love you.” She smiled, then she kissed him deeply on the mouth. Robin merely smiled, melted into the kiss, and waited for her to break away before adding his own “I love you too” to the conversation. The Trials were over; and they had been a smashing success.
 
“This isn't over yet.”
 
Robin and Starfire's happiness was shattered once again by Slade's voice. They turned to their right to find their archenemy struggling to rise. His body was covered in burns and bruises; his suit was torn and tattered and blood was pooling around him. Judging from the way he was pushing himself into a sitting stance with only his right arm, while the left one remained limp at his side, it looked like the left had been broken. His mask was shattered as well; not a trace of it left and finally the titans looked into the true face of Slade Wilson. The face of an mercenary who's white beard was now stained with the deep red blood that flowed out of his mouth. Some teeth were missing, others broken from Starfire's attack. His nose looked as if it too had been broken during the assault. Of course, one of his eyes was covered with a patch while the other looked unblinkingly at the Titans.
 
“Even as you celebrate; Trigon is outside killing your friends.” The unmasked Slade hissed weakly. “And of course, Trigon doesn't plan on forgetting us. He is going to kill Raven; and then he is going to devour the entire planet and kill everyone else on Tamaran. There is no happy ending in store for you, Robin. There never was.”
 
“You know Slade, you're the strongest villain I've ever fought; but you do have one big weakness.” Robin replied. “You spend all your time making plans, always looking towards the end. You cannot live your life waiting on the end; you have to think about the here and the now. You spend so much time looking ahead towards your ultimate goal that you fail to notice the smaller things going on right around you; and that's why you lose.”
 
Slade let out a weak chuckle. “Maybe you're right. It's been a pleasure fighting you Robin; and it will be a pleasure dying with you.”
 
“Sorry Slade, but you're going to die alone.” Robin replied coldly. He turned away from Slade and towards Starfire. “Starfire, you can get out of here a lot faster than I can; go on ahead and warn the others. I'll catch up.”
 
Starfire nodded. The two looked at one another for a moment; and then they kissed. It was over quicker than either of them would have liked; but it was a real kiss. She smiled at him and then she turned and sped out of the room, flying as fast as she could. It made sense that she not wait for Robin this time; she would be needed on the battlefield as soon as possible. What she did not expect was Robin's true reason for asking her to leave.
 
“Not following her?” Slade asked weakly.
 
“No. I just don't want her to see what I'm about to do.” Robin replied. He flicked a bird-a-rang from his belt, but kept his back turned from Slade. “She's never seen me kill anyone before; I want to keep it that way.”
 
Slade laughed once again. “So you don't feel like leaving me here to bleed to death?”
 
“I want to make you don't come back this time. There's only way to do that.” Robin spat coldly. “I don't like it; but I don't have a choice.”
 
Robin turned around and threw the bird-a-rang without another word. It hit Slade in the forehead and the master of manipulation fell backwards, dead.
 
Robin did not say another word; he turned and ran towards the entrance, determined to find his friends and help in what could be the final battle with Trigon; and what would be their final battle ever if they failed.
 
---- ---- ---- ----
 
While Robin and Starfire had been descending deeper into the caves, the other titans had been confronted by Trigon. After making his appearance, the demon lord wasted no time in starting the battle. Raven, Beast Boy and Cyborg had all assumed a battle stance - Raven stood in the middle and took on the role of `leader', as she often did when Robin was absent, Beast Boy stood at her right with Cyborg on her left. They did not stay that way for long; however.
 
Trigon hurled a fist full of flames at the Titans and they had to scramble to avoid it. Raven disappeared into the ground and re-rose up a few feet back; Beast Boy transformed himself into a crow and flew as high as he could to avoid the searing blast of heat, while Cyborg was forced to jump and roll across the ground to the left. Cyborg had the closets call, nearly singed by Trigon's flame; but he also had the quickest response time. As soon as he had rolled away from danger, he aimed his arm-cannon and fired a shot with a mighty cry of “Booyah!”
 
Cyborg's blast connected with Trigon's chest and exploded on contact; the blue lights burst through and sent the demon sprawling backwards a few steps. However, it was far from enough; Trigon recovered with all haste and retaliated with his eye-lasers. Cyborg had to roll aside once again to avoid the beams; but he was not as graceful this time. One of the beams scraped across his back, burning metal and flesh alike and causing the half-man to scream out in anguish.
 
Trigon moved in for the kill; but as he often did, he ignored the bigger picture. Suddenly, much to his dismay, beams of black light wrapped around his body and began pulling him backwards. Raven had reappeared behind him and wasted no time in binding her father with her own demon energies; and while Trigon was stronger, she was dedicated.
 
“This won't hold me for long.” Trigon taunted.
 
“Long enough!” Beast Boy called out. He and Raven were attacking together; although Beast Boy's choice of weaponry was questionable. While he had still been in crow-form he had taken to flying in the air above Trigon; with the demon now bound, he transformed from tiny-green-crow into large-green-elephant. Elephants, of course, cannot fly; and so Beast Boy fell.
 
He landed on Trigon and the impact caused the demon's knees to buckle. If Trigon had seen the attack coming he could have grown larger, of course, and caused the entire thing to fail - but luckily he had not seen the attack as it came and he wound up smashed beneath Beast Boy. Beast Boy wasted no time in reverting to his regular form and jumping away from Trigon's body. Trigon's legs had bent back too far and the demon wound up flat on his back, still tied by Raven's energy and now filled with a blend of anger and pain.
 
“You're dead! You're all dead!” Trigon bellowed in his thunderous voice. A moment later, he pushed his arms out and snapped Raven's mental bindings. He then began to push himself back up. His legs were broken, of course; but he could float and fly just like his daughter so he really did not need them at all.
 
Cyborg was hurt; but not out. As he saw Trigon rise into the air, he aimed his arm-cannon and fired a blast. It hit Trigon in the back and exploded; and it was not the other thing. A wave of starbolts also collided with Trigon's side at nearly the exact same time, the combination sent the demon reeling off to the left, and forward and he wound up slamming into the ground once again.

Starfire had appeared at the entrance to the cavern, and she had not wasted a second in joining the attack. The others didn't waste time with questions, instead they all pounced. Trigon was rising in the air once again and he was met with a ferocious resistance from the Titans. Starfire hurled another round of Starbolts, Cyborg blasted away with his cannon, and Raven fired a thick beam of black light right at her father's face. The combination was enough to create a massive explosion that dropped Trigon back to the ground; this time the demon screamed in fury.
 
“Enough of these games—”
 
Trigon had sprinted back into the air, his anger having finally reached its limit. As he did, however, an explosive disc collided with the side of his head and exploded in a shower of red-hot flames. Robin had arrived and the team was complete.

Trigon was once again on the ground. Raven and Beast Boy had found their footing and stood to the north of him; each ready to attack the moment her rose. Starfire was west of the demon with her fists charging her next assault, Robin stood to the east with explosive discs tucked between his fingers, and Cyborg, finally up off the ground, was south of the demon with his arm-cannon aimed and ready. The Titans had formed a circle around their final foe; and it seemed like Trigon would go down now.
 
“I'm getting tired of this.” Trigon grunted as he floated up into the air. His body was tattered and bruised, and his legs dangled beneath him limp and lifeless. It had been many hundreds of years since he had last received a beating like this; and he was not happy about it. Slade was dead, Trigon now knew. The plan with the keepsake had failed. They had wasted time and energy once again. Now it was just Trigon. He was the last remaining villain; the final foe. It was time to do things his way.
 
“We're all getting tired of this; so do us a favor dad, next time we beat you down, stay down.” Raven responded boldly. Any fear she once had in the presence of her father was gone. They had been at war for years and she was still here - and today she was stronger than ever before. Her friends were all alive and well and the five teen heroes were each ready to fight to the end. There would be only one winner of this battle.
 
“I have a better idea.” Trigon grinned wickedly. “I'm hungry.”
 
Raven had stood without fear against her father - but no longer. The fear had suddenly returned, and it had doubled. Trigon was dangerous in that way; he was like a stick that refused to break. They had pushed him and bent him close to the breaking point; but he remained intact and now he had only one chance to remain that way. The truth was, they could beat him now. If they continued to pound on him like this, it would collapse Trigon's body and give Raven a chance to do battle with his soul-self; but Trigon was not dumb enough to allow that to happen. Instead, he had fallen back on his usual plan B.

If you can't beat `em, eat the planet.
 
Trigon bolted into the sky. He was flying now and though Robin threw another round of discs, Cyborg fired his cannon and Starfire launched more starbolts; Raven knew it didn't matter. The attacks, even if they hit him, would not be enough to destroy his body in time. Trigon was growing too; as he flew he slowly began to return to his true size. It would still be a while before he reached the atmosphere and left Tamaran's orbit; they still had time before he was the full-grown Trigon the Terrible - but what could they do? What weapon did they have in their arsenal that could completely destroy his body in time to stop him?
 
“Damn!” Robin cursed. Raven looked towards him when he did. He had apparently reached for another explosive disc and instead found a small, black cylinder. It was smooth and had a red button on the top - it was a detonator for a bomb. Raven knew she had seen that same detonator before, but it took her a moment to place it. She realized quickly that it was the detonator Robin had taken from Shady's severed hand after they had stopped his suicide attempt on the spaceship. The detonator that controlled the matter-destruction bomb Shady had built into the engine of the spaceship.
 
Suddenly Raven's eyes widened. They still had Shady's detonator. That detonator controlled a bomb that completely eradicated all matter; which was exactly what she needed to destroy her father's body in time. Galfore had informed the Titans long ago that he was going to disarm the bomb; but had he? Had Galfore disarmed it, or in all the confusion since their arrival on Tamaran had it slipped his mind? Was the perfect weapon to use against her father sitting back at the palace hanger just waiting for her; or was this another hopeless long shot?

Well, since it was their only chance to survive she may as well find out.

Raven quickly grabbed the detonator from Robin's hand; and he stared at her with a quizzical look. She shook her head. “No time to explain; everyone hold on. I've got a plan.”
 
Before any of her friends could inquire, she had transformed into her soul-self's form - the form of a giant black raven - and absorbed them as she had many times in the past. Raven then took flight; flying as fast as she could towards the Royal Hanger, and hopefully, towards the weapon that would destroy her father permanently.
 
It didn't take her long - which was good, since time was of the essence - and soon her projected soul-self flew in the window and the five titans wound up standing in the midst of the hanger. It was the royal hanger, and filled with many of the King's ships. Including the one they had come to Tamaran on way back in the beginning of things. Several mechanics, and guards, turned around and prepared for battle upon seeing the intruders but Raven was quick to push Starfire out to the front of the group; and each of them bowed in recognition of their princess.
 
“Listen, this ship, we need to borrow it.” Raven quickly explained to one of the engineers - he was a tall Tamaranian wearing a mechanics uniform, except it was trimmed with gold rather than the traditional silver so she had figured him for the boss.
 
“Ah, you may want another. There is a bomb on this ship, and Lord Galfore has not gotten around to disarming it yet.” The Chief Mechanic replied. Raven grinned.

“That's exactly why I need it. Come on!” Raven began floating towards the ship; but Cyborg stepped in her way.

“Rae; that guy just said there was a bomb on the ship. I know we're in a rush, but would you please fill the rest of us in?”
 
“If you trust me, you get to drive.” Raven responded.

Cyborg did not say another word; instead, he turned and hurried up the ramp and onto the familiar ship. Raven turned to the others with a expression on her face that conveyed a clear message of `trust me', and then she followed him up the ramp. Beast Boy shrugged, he was hopelessly lost but if Raven was going through with this, so was he; and he too boarded the ship. Robin and Starfire didn't say a word as they brought up the rear - they had nothing to lose and everything to gain, so why not?
 
The mechanics looked skeptical, but Starfire was Princess; and the King had ordered that the other titans be treated like royalty while here, so really they had no choice. The chief engineer quickly gave the signal for the hanger doors to open and inside the cockpit, Cyborg, with a huge grin on his face, started the ship and took off. He did not really know how to fly it; but he had picked up enough watching the Tamaranian soldiers drive the tank earlier that he was able to figure it out; the controls were surprisingly similar.
 
Now the five titans had reunited in the pilot's room of the ship and they had taken to the skies. Cyborg was in the pilot's seat, Raven sat as co-pilot. Beast Boy was crowded between the seats, with Robin standing behind Cyborg and Starfire behind Raven.
 
“Cyborg, I want you to find my dad and crash the ship into his chest.” Raven explained at last.
 
“Say WHAT!?” Cyborg nearly fainted. Flying a strange alien ship was one thing - crashing into Trigon the Terrible was another.
 
“Just do it. I'll transport us back to the ground just before impact, and then we'll see if this is all worth it or not.” Raven replied.
 
“I don't know Rae -”

“Trust her dude.” Beast Boy cut Cyborg off in the middle of his objection. “I don't like this either; but Raven's got a plan. Let's just trust her.”
 
Cyborg turned to Robin, who nodded his head and said, “Let's trust her.” Cyborg sighed, but he did what as they advised. He pulled the throttle back and the ship jetted forward as fast as it could move. While everything had happened at a very fast pace, they were still running out of time. Trigon was nearing Tamaran's atmosphere and once he left the planet, he would grow to his full size and it would be too late. This was their one last chance; the last play. The Titans would either win, defeat Trigon and save the lives of everyone on Tamaran or they would all be eaten. There was no third outcome this time.
 
They could see Trigon now. Cyborg cranked the ship up to top speed and everything that happened after that was a blur. Trigon must have sensed Raven approached, because he stopped flying and turned around; but not in time. The ship impaled him in his chest at full speed; as it did Raven used her soul-self to transport the Titans to the ground below; just as she had used it to get them in the hanger. Trigon let out a scream of pain, since he now had a spaceship stuck in his chest, but he stood his ground floating in mid air.

The giant red demon looked down at the ground where the black raven had landed. He looked at his daughter and her friends and he wondered what they were doing. Did they think he'd be stopped by this? Sure, it hurt; but it could not kill Trigon. He was immortal. He could not die unless his entire body was destroyed - and even then, he could be reborn with his soul-self. They were only postponing the inevitable.
 
“You really are getting on my nerves, Raven.” Trigon roared down in his thunderous voice. “You lost! Don't you realize that? I'm Trigon the Terrible, and you stood up to me like so many before you - and now you will die just like all of them!”
 
Far below on the ground, Raven was standing tall. Beast Boy and Cyborg stood to her right, Robin and Starfire on her left. None of them knew what she had planned and they looked at her expectantly. It was easy to trust that she had a plan; it was harder to think it was working. They had expected the spaceship to be it - and they were all disappointed by what was happening now. Raven, however, had a large smile on her face.
 
“Sorry dad, it's your turn to die.” Raven replied quietly. Then she lifted up her hand, which contained the detonator for the matter-bomb. Robin spotted the detonator and suddenly he put two and two together to make four.
 
“Raven, you're a genius!” He whispered.

Raven did not reply; instead, she stood firm, staring at her father. Then she let her thumb fall onto the small red button.
 
Less than a second later, the bomb went off.
 
There was a humming sound, and then an explosion engulfed Trigon the Terrible from the inside out. The only thing people could see was a large ball of blue light that he burst forth through Trigon's chest and began to grow and consume everything around it. The ball continued to grow and fan out in all directions, and as it did, the very fabric of the world was unraveled; like a black hole in reverse. Finally, the ball of bright blue stopped growing and it began to fade away.
 
The light from the blast had been so bright; each of the Titans was forced to cover their eyes. Robin blocked his face with one arm, Cyborg did the same. Starfire used both hands, while Raven had lowered her hood and merely closed hers. Beast Boy hadn't been as quick and had actually see the whole thing - it had been so bright he was now blinking rapidly trying to restore his sight.
 
Slowly the titans uncovered their eyes (and Beast Boy's vision returned) and they all looked up at the sky. What they saw was horrible.
 
Trigon was gone; but his soul remained. Just as Raven's soul-self took on the form of a giant black raven, Trigon's soul-self had its own form; what it was, was a question. Trigon's soul-self was . . . horrible. A monstrous creature, completely black just like Raven's raven, with terrible features. It did not really look like anything the Titans had ever seen before; so describing it is impossible. Yet they all agreed that Trigon's soul-self was the single most frightening thing they had ever seen.
 
Raven alone was smiling. She'd done it. She collapsed his body. She had killed her father. Yet as long as his soul-self remained, he could come back. She still had to finish her plan - she had to confront the grotesque obscenity that floated in the sky; and she had to destroy it.
 
“Rae, what the hell is that thing?” Beast Boy asked in a shaky voice.
 
“My father's soul; I have to face it, now, before he can find a new body to possess.” She replied quietly.
 
“We're going to fight that?” Beast Boy responded, shock and horror in his voice.
 
I'm going to fight that.” Raven corrected him. “Sorry Gar, you can't help me this time.”
 
“Why not?” Beast Boy demanded at once. “We're your friends; we want to help.”
 
“And I wish you could.” Raven replied softly. “But you can't help me unless you're a demon, which you aren't. I'm sorry.”
 
Raven, for the third time since the battle had begun, transformed into her own soul-self. The giant black raven flew up into the skies and away from her four friends, who were forced to do no more than watch, pray and wait. None of the titans spoke; because none of them knew what to say. All they could do was hope.
 
The giant black raven flew upwards until it reached Trigon's soul-self. Then the raven reverted into Raven and she looked at her father's essence.
 
“You failed, Trigon.” She whispered. Then she lifted her hands out in front of her and began to concentrate. She would only get one chance at this. She would have to focus everything she had into one attack; and pray that she was strong enough to vanquish him. Trigon could not attack her, not while he was bodiless. Unfortunately, for Raven there was one thing he could do. She had not expected him to try it; but he did try.
 
Raven was chanting her mantra when she felt it. Trigon's soul-self was trying to invade her mind - he was trying to possess her. To take over Raven's body and turn her into the new Trigon the Terrible; the next destroyer of worlds. She should have guessed he would try something like that; but she had overlooked it. It didn't matter, it only added to her need to hurry.
 
You are mine Raven. I gave you life. Now I need you. Trigon voice was going off in her mind, she could feel his presence inside her.
 
“This is over. You're dead dad, and you're not coming back.” She replied as she struggled to concentrate; to absorb her energies for the attack she had to make soon.
 
You have already failed. You never stood a chance from the beginning. I think I'll enjoy being you, Raven. I know I'll enjoy slaughtering your friends and destroying your planet from inside your body. Yes, that sounds like fun.
 
Azarath Metreon Zinthos!” Raven cried out. She opened her eyes to find that Trigon's soul-self was on top of her, trying to pierce and invade her mind and body. The black light flashed from her hands and it consumed them both; the father and the daughter.
 
Below on the ground, the Titans watched helplessly. The moment Trigon had attacked his soul to Raven they had all gone nuts. Starfire was having to hold Beast Boy (who was now a large bird) back to keep him from flying up to the scene; although in reality she was tempted to let him go and to join him in the flight. Cyborg was staring with a horrified look plastered on his face, wondering what this meant. He didn't know who was winning, or how to find out. Robin stood silently watching. His eyes were hopeful; but his face also expressed doubts. Truthfully, he had no clue what was happening - he only knew he knew had to trust his friend.
 
Then the light cleared away. Trigon's soul-self was gone; and Raven was floating in mid air. She felt . . . different. Her father was gone; she could not feel his presence at all; which meant his soul-self was gone. Without his soul-self, Trigon could never return. He was dead; and he would stay that way. Still, something didn't feel quite right with her. Raven felt different inside - but she couldn't describe it.

It did not matter. She was so tired. Raven closed her eyes and went to sleep; as she did so she felt wonderful, since she had finally defeated her father. She had put an end to all the murder, all the rape, all the terror and horror that was commonplace with Trigon the Terrible. She could sleep well knowing that.
 
Unfortunately, she was still several hundred feet in the air at the time; and she could not continue flying while she was asleep.

So she fell.
 
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
 
Raven opened her eyes saw a familiar ceiling. She tried to sit up, but found it impossible. Her entire body ached; from head to toe. It wasn't as bad in some places, but she couldn't move yet. The last thing she remembered was falling asleep after killing her father; and obviously something had happened since then. She was in a bed; a warm, soft bed. And she was covered with blankets. The strange thing was she recognized the bed and the blankets just like she recognized the ceiling.
 
“Good morning Rae.”
 
Beast Boy's voice reached her ears, and Raven felt herself smile.
 
“Skip the good mornings, start the explaining.” Raven responded playfully. This caused her to pause. She was playful? That was strange. She was very rarely playful - and especially not when she was confused and in pain.
 
“I figured you'd say that.” Beast Boy responded. “Well, first of all I caught you. I kinda freaked out when I saw you fall and Starfire couldn't hold me back anymore - not that she wanted too really, she was flying to try to catch you too. Anyway, I caught you as a eagle and sort of carried you back to ground; but you wouldn't wake up.”
 
Raven smiled. She had not hit the ground; that was good to know.
 
“To be honest, I was a little broken up after that; because you wouldn't wake up and all, so I was a little out of it while we all went back to the palace. Cy had to carry me. Starfire carried you; and Robin just did the whole silent leader thing and tried to keep us all sane. The healers said you were in a coma or something, brought on by extreme physical and mental strain. They said you were perfectly fine; but they had no clue when . . . or if . . . you'd wake up.”

Raven could feel Beast Boy's pain in his voice. Being an empath as well did not help and she quickly did her best to comfort him. “Hey, I'm awake now.”
 
“Yeah, I know; it's just . . . I was scared Raven.” His voice was cracking.

“Finish the story; then have your breakdown.” Raven replied, she still sounded a bit playful; which was a strange thing.
 
“Yes ma'am.” Beast Boy responded; and now he sounded playful himself. “Anyway, Robin decided it was best we go home; since we'd be away for so long, and he thought you might wake up sooner if you were in a familiar environment so --”

Ding. Raven knew she recognized this bed. It was her bed; and she was in her room. In Titan's Tower, On Earth, They were home.
 
“So we went home?” Raven finished for him.
 
“Yeah. Hope you don't mind me being in your room.” Beast Boy replied sheepishly.
 
“You've got that big goofy grin on your face, don't you?” Raven asked him. She still couldn't see him, since she had not yet tried to turn to the side. In response, she felt the edge of the bed sink down as his weight was added to it, and a moment later Beast Boy's face - completely with the exact grin Raven had been imagining - appeared above her.
 
“Hiya Rae.” Beast Boy smirked.
 
“You don't use mouthwash, do you?” Raven responded, which caused Beast Boy to sit up and check his breath. Raven snickered to herself; and that's when she realized something else.

She was playful; and that meant her emotions were running wild inside her head. Usually that was a dangerous thing; but right now the only thing she felt was happiness. This was proof that the thing she had always waited for had finally happened. It was all real. Trigon the Terrible really was dead and gone - that was the only explanation for her uncontrollable emotions being so free to express themselves.
 
“Beast Boy, you're breath is fine; now finish telling me what I missed.”
 
“Huh? Well, that's about it really. I mean, the tower was all spotlessly clean when we got back, so we figured something weird had happened while we were gone. Cyborg checked the security tapes and there was this whole thing with Doug and a bunch of supervillians, but to be honest I was more concerned about you and didn't pay much attention to it when Robin explained everything. Since then I've pretty much been waiting for you to wake up. The town has been pretty quiet - Johnny Rancid went on a crime spree a couple days ago, but Robin and Starfire took care of him on their own. It's been twelve days since you beat Trigon, by the way.”
 
Beast Boy finished the explanation, and Raven closed her eyes. Twelve days. She had been out for that long? She still had a few unanswered questions though, and she may as well ask them while she had the chance.
 
“Why can't I move?” Raven asked.
 
“The healers said you're body received an extreme shock during the battle with your dad. You're fine, no broken bones or stuff; but they said it might take a couple days after you wake up for your body to fully recover from everything. Though they did say you would recover fully - if you woke up, which you did so -”

“I get the point.” Raven cut him off. “The bottom line is we won, right?”
 
Beast Boy's face appeared above her own once again. “Looks that way.”
 
Raven smiled up at him. “Good.”
 
“Can I kiss you now?” Beast Boy asked.
 
“No.” Raven replied.
 
Beast Boy's eyes went wide and he opened his mouth in shock. He had not expected that answer at all. He was hoping for an `I wish you would', or a `of course', hell he would have settled for a `if you have too' - but a flat out `no'? It was shocking.
 
“Beast Boy, relax, I'm joking. Of course you can kiss me.”
 
Beast Boy felt relief spread through his body and decided not to chance it. He bent his face down and kissed Raven. It was probably the deepest kiss the two had shared yet; not to mention the longest. They were both hesitant to break it; and it did not end until Robin's voice filled the room.

“Be careful Raven, you know Beast Boy's still underage.”
 
Beast Boy jumped up out of shock and had to transform into a insect so that he wouldn't hurt Raven when he fell back down. Raven scowled; remembering all too well the jokes she and Beast Boy had made when they caught Robin and Starfire kissing in the hospital on Tamaran.
 
“You've been waiting to say that, haven't you?” She asked in an annoyed voice.
 
“Yeah, pretty much.” Robin replied. “How you feeling?”
 
“Lousy. I was feeling better; but my privacy suddenly vanished. This is still my room. People should knock before entering my room. We've been over this before.”
 
“Yeah, especially when we're making out dude!” Beast Boy added as he became his human form again - he was now sitting on the edge of the bed.
 
“You two shouldn't complain as much. I could have brought Star with me; then you'd have to deal with my sarcasm and her . . . excitement.” Robin pointed out.
 
“Where is Star, anyway?” Beast Boy asked. He had not seen her around earlier when he had raided the refrigerator; then again, he had hardly left Raven's side for twelve days.
 
“She and Cyborg took Bruce back to Gotham.” Robin explained. “He was telling stories about me when I was young, so Star wanted to hear them. Cyborg said he was going along to make sure Star didn't bug Bruce; but I think he just wants a chance to see the Batmobile.”
 
“Dude, he'll steal that car.” Beast Boy warned.
“I'd steal that car.” Robin confessed, with a grin.
 
“If you two want to talk about cars; get out of my room.” Raven responded.

The three of them laughed; and they had become accustomed to doing. To them, it was over. They had gone to Tamaran; and they had come home. They had destroyed Slade Wilson and Trigon the Terrible - and neither of them would be coming back. They had survived it all; and now it was time to move on to the next stage of their lives.
 
The Teen Titans believed it was the ending.
 
It was not the ending. Not even close.
 
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
 
A/N: See, no cliffie! I was nice for a chance. ^^
Chapter Twenty-One of Anything, Anytime, Anywhere For You is coming soon. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, and there's much planning to do - so it might be a few days; but it will be worth the wait! Why? Because Chapter Twenty-One will introduce the new villains, it'll have some fun with our heroes, and perhaps a little surprise.
 
Now I shall get down on my hands and knees and beg you for reviews, as I usually do. XD

See you soon folks!
 
~Golden-Sama (Brandon)