Fan Fiction ❯ Bar Fight Blues ❯ it's Alright to fight! ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Capt. Vyk Arcannix and his crew aboard the Starburst have landed on Florus V to reload and refuel after the strange events after their harrowing escape from prison.

The Bar Fight:


"Hey Trace!" Vyk Arcannix yelled as he stepped out of his cabin, freshly clothed after the long and uneventful space-trip, the first of its kind in a long, long time. "What happened to Shay, Gordo, and Chibi?" Vyk had honestly forgot how boring space travel could be with all the action that had gone down in the past few weeks.
"I think Sasha had some "business" to attend to in town, umm and Gordo...Chibi well they disappeared not long after we landed, I dunno why though.
"Oh well, me and Tek are going to go out and get a drink, so watch the ship until we get back." Vyk said. He needed a drink, something real strong to drive away the boredom. Now was as good a time as any, who knew when the next time he could get loaded would come up. He smiled at the thought of a nice strong drink as he slipped his trusty blaster into its holster.
"Sure, no problem captain, it'll be nice to get a little privacy to go along with the peace and quiet." Trace answered with a grin, walking outside and sitting on a metal folding chair he had found in the Starburst's cargo hold earlier.
"Yo Tek, lets get going!" Vyk called back into the depths of his ship. That drink kept sounding better and better, Vyk was beginning to get impatient.
"Huff, huff, w-wait up Vyk. I'm coming, hold... huh, huh...hold on" came the wheezing mechanic's voice from the inside of the hold, his boots pounding heavily on the metal floor. "All right, I'm ready lets go" he continued slowly catching his breath. The pair walked down the ramp and began the half-mile road to the nearest bar, um town. The planet they had landed on was surprisingly peaceful. Which was an well-accepted break from the tumultuous month since their escape from prison. Florus V as the green orb was known was covered with huge forests and great seemingly never-ending plains. According to the travel guides Trace had downloaded the planet not single important event had happened on Florus V since it's discovery thousands of years ago. It's only use was that it was the perfect vacation spot, considering it doesn't have any major exports. Vyk was beginning to enjoy the planet so much that he even considered coming back once this whole damn crystal mess was over with. After what seemed to be an eternity of walking Vyk and Tek finally neared the small city.
"Vyk, are you sure you want to go into this bar" Tek muttered, nervously looking up at the sign that advertised: "Mosley's Cantina."
"Of course" Vyk answered, a grin etched on his face. "The best bars are always the worst looking ones, heh, heh. Tek looked around again when he noticed a group of women standing outside the bar; he suddenly developed a nosebleed.
"OHHHH YEAH, WOMEN" Tek yelled as he began to drool.
"Hold it, Tek come back!" Vyk watched as his friend raced towards the girls and immediately gave chase. He thought back to the rumors and stories he had heard about Bonus's problems as well as how he got his unfortunate nickname: "Boner."
"Hey baby how would you like to have a little fun." Tek said with a not-to-subtle wink.
"Um, excuse me, but who are you?" the women asked as she turned to look at the red-faced mechanic.
"I'm the one who's going to..."
"Whoa wait a minute speedy, uh we're sorry ladies but my friend isn't feeling like himself today." Vyk grabbed Tek, quickly dragged him into the bar, and sat his stuttering partner on a stool. This wasn't the first time this had happened, one look at a pretty girl and Tek just went nuts, personally Vyk believed it was due to some kind of hormonal imbalance.
"Listen closely Bonus, I'm gonna hit you if you try a stunt like that again."
"Sorry Vyk, I can't help myself, but don't worry it won't happen again." Yeah sure, it won't happen again, like I can believe that. Horny freak. Vyk laughed to himself, guy with mechanic skills like his has to come with a downside of some sort and naturally I get the guy with balls of fire. Why couldn't he have been insane or without legs, hell even if he was secretly gay it might be better than having to pull him off any hot girl that walks in front of him. On second thought maybe him being gay would be a bad thing. Vyk peered over the bar and motioned to the greasy bearded bartender. The 'tender strolled over, placed the glass he was cleaning down and leaned on the bar.
"What'll ya have, buddy" he asked, measuring up the pair.
"One of your strongest (for me) and one of your weakest (for him).
"Sure, whatever." He turned and took the order of a lizard-man sitting on the other end of the bar. A few minutes of idle chitchat later the bartender returned with two mugs in his hand.
"Here ya go Mac."
"Thanks" Vyk said not even bothering to look at the greasy man. He lifted the mug to his lips, took a slug of the steaming liquid and shuddered as it slid down his throat, warming from the inside out. He peered over his shoulder and scanned the cantina's occupants with an expert's eye. The room was filled with various beings, about fifty or so, some species even Vyk couldn't identify. A huge hairy beast that reminded him of Gordo, sat surrounded by thick smoke with an equally fierce looking cat-women in one of the corners. Some slimy thing that had more tentacles than Vyk could count sipped something red through what appeared to be a proboscis. Three tough looking human sat at the table directly behind Vyk and Tek.
"Hey Vyk!" Tek exclaimed after tasting his drink, his face clearly revealed that something was wrong.
"What do you want now?" he cocked his head to look at his friend's worried face.
"I have to use the bathroom, that concoction did something to my stomach." Tek grinned sheepishly at Vyk who didn't seem too happy at Tek's request.
"Why the hell are you telling me, just go!" The mechanic jumped out of his seat and ran to the back, soon disappearing through a door. Vyk turned back to his drink not noticing the tree toughs behind him getting up and slowly approaching him. One of them, a man with a buzz cut leaned in next to Vyk.
"Excuse me," he began, "But ain't yous duh guy that escaped from tha maximum security prison on Magnus? Another of the thugs pulled up and sat on the stool next to Vyk, unknowingly spilling Vyk's liquor on the floor.
"Hey ya Harrigan he sure does."
"Huh, I'm surprised, considerin' the size of th' bounty on your head that you showed your face in public."
"I don't know if you noticed or not, but you spilled my drink on the floor" Vyk said calmly, again not bothering to turn his head.
"Ha, uh oh, Sullivan you spilled this poor guy's beer." The man named Harrigan said with a sarcastic grin, but his smile quickly turned into a sneer. "And what exactly are you gonna do about it, eh buddy?"
"Well since you asked...' Faster than any of the three could see Vyk drew his gun elbowing the man to his right in the face, cleanly knocking him out. Before the other two could react he aimed his gun and blasted the thug behind him in the chest, sending him flying into the table they were sitting at. Vyk spun around and pointed his gun at the final man with the intention of ending the fight with another bullet. Unfortunately his bad luck flared up and, before he could get a shot off he slipped on his spilled drink and fell flat on his back with a thud. Oh shit, he thought as he found himself staring at the cantina's dirty ceiling. The remaining attacker strutted over and starred down at Vyk laughing as he pulled on a set of brass knuckles. Vyk's arm whipped up and fired a single blast at the chuckling man, barely missing his head.
"Ha, Ha, Ha, ya missed me!" he stated loudly. Now the fallen captain started to smile
"Did I?" he laughed.
"What?" Vyk rolled out of the way as the thug turned his attention to the ceiling only to find the bar's huge light fixture crashing down on him knock him cold. Tek rushed out the bathroom as he heard the noise, but all he saw was Vyk getting up and brushing himself off.
"You know what Tek I think I'm ready to go." Vyk called to his stunned partner.
"What happened hear?" Tek asked surveying the damage that surrounded Vyk.
"Oh nothing, just a little trouble with, c'mon let's get out of here." He answered walking out the door, as Tek stood silently still trying to figure out what happened during the two minutes he was gone.

What you (hopefully) just read was a later chapter in a much longer story line. It does stand somewhat by itself. The beginning of the story will be uploaded soon. (Starburst: The Crystal Chronicles. It's a sample of things to come really.