Fan Fiction ❯ Biomecan X ❯ CHAPTER 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER 1

By the dawn of the 23rd century the human race had conquered the stars, sending star ships the far corners of the galaxy only to find humans really were alone. So began the process of colonization beginning with Alpha Centaury.

To aid in the colonization process a new breed of construction technology was created, huge, sleek, biomechanical human piloted robots or Biomecaneks. Roughly human in appearance they stood between twenty and forty foot high standing on two legs with up to six arms designed for the different tasks required. Of course it didn't take colonial governments to realise the military potential for the Biomecaneks and so the second generation was born, forty feet high with armour plating and armed with enlarged versions of the human rifle, a single machine could take out a city in minutes.

But once a government has a powerful new weapon they have to try it out and the first colonial war began over the mining rights to a small ore moon in the Taurus system. The ruling Earth government soon lost control of all its colonies which declared themselves independent states.

And so colonisation ceased and the once quite and almost empty galaxy was filled with warring planets and as time continued so the Biomecaneks were improved and altered. The most useful change came in the mid 24th century when a method of physically linking a pilot to a Biomecanek, allowing the pilot to remotely operate his Biomecanek at reflex speeds.

By the end of the 24th century the galaxy had split into two factions, the Terran Confederacy and the Centaurian Empire, ironically placing the two commanding worlds Earth and Alpha Centaury only six light years apart. For the most part the two sides stayed in a state of cold war, only occasional mild conflicts arising over boarder mining disputes.

However a Terran spy infiltrating the Centaurian home world discovered a new weapon in early development, designed to fuse pilot and Biomecanek together forming a single being, giving speed and manoverability that the current machines lacked. Repulsed at this idea the Terran government demanded its scientists come up with a machine capable of countering the new threat.

What they designed was revolutionary, a true artificial intelligence that could be bound into the machine and physically linked to new born child. This child and the machine would grow together becoming the perfect partnership. The new Biomecaneks would function as fast and as agile as the Centaurian machines but would have twice the intelligence in operation and the AI could process more information at once than a human brain. So the project was approved and six unborn children were selected as the future pilots and the tenth generation of Biomecaneks was created christened the BiomecanX.

In the years that followed the two sides raced to be the first to complete their projects but the Terran project had to wait for the children to mature and too soon the Centaurian project was completed. Open war was declared by the Cantaurians and the invasion began. The six children scattered through the Terren Confederacy, now in their early teens were gathered together and taken to a secret facility to complete their training and to finally meet the other consciousness they had known for so long.

***

Chapter 1

***

Five pairs of nervous young eyes stared at each other, sizing each other up. The eyes belonged to five members of Project MeX, the future pilots of the BiomecanX, children aged between thirteen and sixteen each wearing a grey jump suit with the Terran Confederacy logo on the back.


All were quite and unsure of themselves in the strange surroundings and among people they'd never met. They had all grown up knowing they were different from other children, knowing the little voice talking to them was real and not some imaginary friend and not being allowed to tell anyone, but soon they would meet that missing part of themselves and they had no idea what to expect. For although they knew they were part of a top secret government project, the rest was kept pretty much secret, even the little voice in their head refused to tell them.

At that moment the hatch at one end of the room opened and Megana Valcovanch, the ships captain ushered in a sixth child, a boy about sixteen with longish purple hair slicked back which didn't match to well with the grey jump suit. His face was ruggedly handsome though his features were not fully developed though a deep scar ran over his left eye which like its partner was a deep turquoise. Megana smiled and spoke.

"This is Barret, he's the last of you. Well now we have you all, you can have a look round the ship but stay out of the restricted areas and if anything happens, get back here. Well be at the dock in a few hours. Oh and try to get to know each other, you're gonna be trusting your lives to each other one day."

And with that she left, leaving everyone feeling more confused and nervous than before and wondering again what they'd been thrown into. Barret sighed and gave a lop sided grin at the odd mix of people he saw before him.

"Well, who wants to have a look round the rest of the ship, this room looks really dull."

The others looked at him curious how unnerved he seemed to be compared to them and it somehow made them smile, one girl even gave a small giggle. She stood up and thrust out her hand speaking nervously in a slight French accent.

"I'll go, I've only seen these things from the outside before. I'm Kasumi Saoto."

Barret shook her hand cocking his head to one side. The girl looked about fifteen, her hair a natural jet black but with two enormous blue bangs protruding forward and down either side of her face with distinctly Chinese features but the accent suggested she was probably from the Cirius colony.

"Nice to meet you. Anyone else coming?"

After a tense moment of shifting in their seats all but one of them stood and nodded. A boy of fourteen with short spiky red hair held up his hand in the traditional Orion greeting before introducing himself.

"I am Reece Palatin of Orion Theata."

The girl next to him with a green dye job, no older than thirteen smiled revealing two pointed fangs.

"Lotus May Blossum. Daughter of King Bamboo Blossum and Queen Lilly Blossum, and Crown Princess of Polaris."

The others gave her an open mouthed stare as she spoke, almost too quickly to catch. She grinned.

"Just Lotus is fine."

Everyone gave a sigh of relief as another boy of sixteen introduced himself with a bow and a strong German accent.

"I am Kail Gabarar Solis, supreme martial arts champion of Ursa Minor."

Barret looked impressed, they boy looked strong and capable of defending himself, a shock of untidy grey hair matching his jump suit.

"Champion, we'll have to have a match sometime."

"You practice an art?"

"May father is founder of Genki Saki martial arts, I'm always looking for people to test it against.

"I have never heard of this art, I look forward to seeing it."

Kail bowed again. The group then looked at the remaining person still seated on the bench. He was a boy of fourteen, a cap pulled low over his face, but a few patches of dark brown hair sticking out from under the edges and the others noted the air of loneliness that seemed to surround him. Barret approached the boy.

"So, who are you then?"

The boy looked up meeting Barrets gaze with completely black eyes that seemed to suck in even the light making his face appear even darker under the brim of the hat.

"My name, is Bay Vax and I would appreciate being left alone."

"Oh. Cool eyes."

"Their implants, my eyes were badly damaged in an attack on my world many years ago and I don't like talking about it."

"Fair enough, sorry. Sure you won't join us for a look round?"

"Thanks, no."

And with that the boy curled up again. Barret looked sadly at him, wondering what had made him so lonely. He turned back to the others.

"So shall we go?"

*

For an hour the group searched the ship but all they found were crew quarters and a recreational and restaurant area and they soon found themselves back outside the passenger room if somewhat more at ease with each other than when they'd left. Kail looked disappointed.

"Not a lot here is there, I was hoping to see more of the ship."

"Well, maybe we can get into the restricted zones."

Kail looked at Barret curious.

"How, the doors are card operated, I saw em on the way in."

Barret pointed up to a ventilation duct in the ceiling. Kail nodded and smiled before putting his foot in Barrets cupped hands and hoisting himself up to push the vent aside. Kasumi put her hand on Barrets shoulder.

"Maybe we shouldn't what if we get in trouble, we haven't got to the space dock yet. Besides it might be dangerous."

Lotus poked her head between them.

"So what, they need us, it's not like they can send us home."

Kail shrugged and lifted himself through the vent before dropping a hand for Lotus then Reece who after a moment's hesitation let himself be pulled up into the shaft. Kasumi shook her head a bit.

"I don't think we should."

"Ok, you don't have to, you can wait in the room there. I can wait with you if you're still feeling nervous about this."

She bit her lip and looked at the vent and Kails arm still dangling to help her up. His voice came down to her.

"You coming or not?"

Kasumi looked at Barret who looked a little sad at her and tightened her fist.

"Fine, I'll go, but under protest."

With that she jumped for the vent and gripping the edge flip up feet first into the vent. Barret frowned confused. Well she's good at climbing he thought. Before jumping for the vent and climbing through with Kails help.

The group crawled through a series of vents before finally finding an opening on the restricted side of the ship. Barret was the first out and looked round while the others climbed out. What he saw took his breath away. Almost half a mile of dimly lit dark metal gantries stretching away from him, intersecting over now and then, running at all angles both above and below the one they stood on. Barret looked down and whistled as he saw the ground hidden in darkness and off in the distance, a vague blue glow, the whole place seemed to vibrate with a dull monotonous throb. Kail joined him at the gantries edge.

"Long way down. I wonder where we are?"

"Engine deck, I expect the stellar coils are down their, the blue things probably the plasma core."

Reece and Kasumi joined them to star over the edge. Reece turned to Barret.

"You know a lot about this ship?"

"It's a standard design and I've had a lot of free time to read over the years."

"How come?"

"It's a long story. Where's Lotus?"

They turned to see her hugged to the floor in the centre of the gantry. Kasumi helped her to her feet.

"Don't like heights aye? It's ok I used to be like that, it's perfectly safe."

Lotus let herself be led slowly down the gantry after the others as they began to look round trying to avoid the occasional crew member they spotted. It had been about half an hour and they were beginning to think they should return to the passenger hold before arrival when there was a large explosion and the ship rocked violently, Lotus screamed as she staggered towards the edge and tripped over. Barret was only just quick enough to grab her wrist and pull her up as the ship stopped shaking. He put her down on the deck where she began crying while Kasumi tried to comfort her.

"What was that? It felt like we were hit by something."

Kail looked from Reece to Barret. A sudden green glow behind them caught their attention and they turned to see several large men in battle armour materialise on the gantry, each bearing the logo of the Centaurian Empire on their arms.

"So the confederacy is employing children now."

The speaker advanced on Barret a menacing look in his eye, which suddenly found a boot smack squarely into it. The man staggered and fell shocked.

"Why that little, fuck the orders, kill them."

The two men standing raised their weapons as Kail and Barret charged, luckily the heavy battle armour slowed their movements and the two teenagers were able to deliver a powerful attack sending the two enemy troops cart wheeling over the gantry side. A click sound brought their minds back to the third man on the floor who'd stood and had his rifle pointed at them.

"Good bye kiii…"

The mans words were cut short as he was lifted off his feet and hurled over the side of the gantry to his death. The two stared at Bay who's face was a mask of pure hate and anger.

"How…"

Reece began.

"My eyes weren't the only part of my body damaged. He gripped the gantry rail in one hand and crushed a small segment out of shape."

Barret and Kasumi helped Lotus to her feet and looked at the others.

"Come on, we've got to get back before the ship docks, I'm sure security can take care of what ever is going on.

*

The ship sat docked in stations main port awaiting repairs, the children had been sent to their quarters pending an investigation and Megana Valcovanch stood at the base commanders desk having her head bitten off.

"You let these children wander unguarded round a military class transport, what did you expect. Have you read the history on them, I don't know what our government is thinking using these kids, one has spent the last few years going in and out of a young offenders institutes for multiple criminal offences, two of which he escaped from, repeatedly. He's still on probation. Another is half cyborg, he has enough strength to punch a hole in that ship himself without the damn Cantaurians firing at it. If any of those children had been killed in the attack I'd have been shot by high command."

"With due respect sir, they took out three Centaurian marines on their own."

"I know, destroying six Stellar coils in the process."

"If they hadn't stopped them they could have destroyed the ship from their."

"Indeed but what does it say about them if they killed those men."

"They said the ones Barret and Solis killed were an accident, the weight of the armour pulled them over the edge."

"And the other one."

"They refused to comment, though considering what that poor boys been through, it doesn't surprise me he's that angry."

"Well I don't need a loose cannon on this program going off on some personal vendetta."

"No sir. Can I go now sir?"

"No, you may not. Since your ship will be out of commission for a few weeks, I'm reassigning you to the MeX project, since you did such a good job on the way over you can stay and baby sit those kids for a little longer and I want no more trouble from any of them, understood. Or maybe I might reassign the position of Captain to someone else."

"Yes sir."

"You may leave now."

"Sir."

Megana turned and marched out of the commanders office and breathed a sigh, in consideration it could have been worse. After all she had nearly cost the whole project though the Centaurian attack craft had had something to do with it. On the down side she now had to spend the next few weeks babysitting a bunch of troublesome children through the first steps of training. She rubbed her temples and sighed again. She decided she needed a shower and clean up so headed for her quarters. Then she needed to have a talk with someone.

*

Kasumi heard a knock on her door.

"Come in?"

The door slid slowly sideways meaning it was being opened manually, she felt confused till Barrets head poked through.

"Hello, you ok?"

"How did you get out? Wasn't your door locked?"

"So was this one."

"Point taken. Don't you think this is risky, in trouble and breaking out already."

"I'm used to it by now. Besides, I just wanted to make sure everyone was ok, it was my fault we got into this."

"I thought it was Kails idea?"

"I pointed out the vent. I'd planned to go before he said anything."

"Oh. So you want to come in properly?"

"Thanks."

He grabbed an empty picture frame from a table and jammed the door open before coming over and sitting in the chair opposite Kasumi. She felt hot and uncomfortable for a moment as she looked at him. He was risking further trouble to make sure everyone was ok, even though he barely knew them. There was something she couldn't figure out about him.

"So tell me something about yourself then? Where'd you learn all this stuff, you said you had a lot of free time before."

"Yeah, I don't like to talk about it. It's just stuff I picked up over the years, it's just useful that's all."

"Are you trying to be all mysterious?"

"Huh, no. I, er, just. Well I'm trying to make a new start and think about the past doesn't make it easier."

"I see. Looks like there are plenty of secrets in this group. You, Bay and I'm sure Reece is hiding something, he's so discrete and unnoticeable about everything."

"Mm. So what do you think tomorrows gonna be like?"

"What do you mean?"

"Haven't you noticed, the little voice is loader, they're close by."

"What are?"

"What ever it is that speaks to us, that little missing bit in all of us."

Kasumi was quite for a minute.

"Oh yeah, I'd kind of tuned it out, it's excited it can feel I'm close. I wonder what it is."

"Well, my guess is their machines. I know they won't answer that question, but there's something artificial about it, I can't say what."

Kasumi gasped suddenly. Barret sat up looking worried.

"What is it?"

"I, I felt it, I felt something touch its skin. At least I think that's what it was. It felt like someone rubbed against me, but it was like an extension of my body.

"I…"

Barret suddenly gasped too.

"Ah, I felt it too. Wow, it's weird, hey I can see something too."

"What? How?"

"Just kind of tune your eyes inwards at the little voice, it's like becoming someone else."

"Yeah, hey it looks like the inside of a hanger. Do you reckon we can move? Oh what happened?"

The two suddenly found the visions disappear and the quite little voice return.

"I guess they turned us off. This makes it even more interesting. I feel tempted to go see if I can have a look."

"Don't Barret, you can wait till tomorrow can't you. I think you might overstep the mark trying to look now."

"Yeah, maybe you're right. Listen, I gotta go, there's a guard comes round once an hour and I gotta be in my quarters."

He turned to go when Kasumi stopped him.

"Barret, I saw what happened on the gantry today, when you saved Lotus."

"What do you mean?"

"You almost fell yourself, of your boot hadn't caught you would have gone over the edge."

"Yeah, but Lotus would have been safe."

"But what about you?"

Barret shrugged.

"Who knows, life's an adventure but death that's where the real adventures got to begin."

With that he did his lop sided grin and left sliding the picture frame from the door casing and letting it slide shut before racing back to his own quarters.

In the quite Kasumi sat and wondered. The boy was a mystery, that she desperately wanted to unravel, in more ways then one. She found herself blushing as thoughts she'd rarely had ran through her mind. Had he caught his boot on purpose, he had the skill or did he really have such a loose attitude on death. Maybe it was a bit of both, she didn't know but she was determined to find out more about him.

*

Barret stood on the cliff top and surveyed the hydroponics bay below, a light wind blowing through his hair. He heard the person approach.

"Hello Megana."

"Kaleb."

"No one calls be that now."

"No, you never like that name."

"I was surprised when you turned up yesterday. I never expected to see you again."

"It was a surprise for me too. How's your father."

"Fine, you broke his heart leaving."

"Like she broke yours?"

"What's that got to do with anything?"

"Sorry, but I was thinking, Kasumi looks a lot like her doesn't she."

"Yes."

"She isn't her though."

"I know."

"What happened to you Ka, Barret?"

"When Rain died, she took my heart with her, I stopped caring."

"It wasn't your fault you know."

"Wasn't it? I doubt that sometimes. I should have been their protecting her."

"From a battle cruiser? Come on, if you'd been there youd'a been killed to, there was nothing anyone could have done."

"At least we'd have been together."

"And you will be again but not yet, you're still so young. Live a little."

"I did and look what happened."

"Well now you can make a fresh start. Just try to keep your nose clean okay."

"I'm trying, but I can't…"

"Promise, I know. If you ever want to talk about things, I'll be around. I'm here till the ships repaired."

"Thanks, and sorry about that."

"Hey you probably saved the lives of everyone aboard."

"Actually, I think they were after us. One of them said something about orders, I think to capture us."

"I'd better tell the commander that. See you round Barret."

"Later."

Megana looked sadly at Barret, sixteen and already he'd lost the will to live. She only knew sketchy details of his past but enough to put two and two together. She reflected on the rarity for someone to find a true love at only fourteen and then to have them snatched away by fate. She looked back at him as she wandered down the hill.


"Poor kid. I hope this Kasumi girl doesn't open up his old wounds again. Then again maybe it would help. I guess we'll have to wait and see."

On top of the hill Barret looked down at the two hundred foot drop and thought again about jumping. He shook his head, Megana was right it wasn't time, fate would decide that as it had decided for Rain, but he wouldn't let it decide for any of the others. He turned and followed Megana down the hill towards the base restaurant where no doubt the others were having dinner.