Fan Fiction ❯ Biomecan X ❯ CHAPTER 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

***

Chapter 2

***

It had been two days since the six children had arrived at the military research facility and still they had not been taken to see their supposed destiny, Reece even said he wondered if they hadn't been kidnapped for some sort of tests which had left Lotus in tears. Barret had to admit however it was odd, so far they'd been told there had been a problem in one of the labs and the area was off limits except to lop level personnel, but other than that they knew nothing. He sat on the sofa next to Kail and accepted a cigarette from the almost empty packet. Kail spoke as he passed over his lighter.

"It's odd, don't you think? This delay after they were so insistent on getting us here so fast."

Barret was silent for a minute as he watched Reece and Lotus talking quietly with Kasumi.

"Yeah, I don't like it. From what I've seen this is a military research base, I mean the security here is tight you know. Fuck knows what they've got round here. I wondered if something's got loose, or they've had a chemical leak or something."

"Hmm. If this is a military base, what are we doing here? I mean they've never been very fourth coming in telling us why we're so special. I can only assume the other night was something to do with it, but…"

"It's been bugging me too. If we're some sort of new weapon, there's a lot if issues there. I mean I can understand why they'd want Bay and myself and from the other day I'd say you've seen some combat to but the others don't make any sense."

Kail nodded.

"Yes, it is worrying, but we're here for now. I guess we've to just wait and see."

At that moment the door to the Rec room opened and a small group of people entered. Barret recognised Bay and Megana among them, but the other three were strangers. One looked like a soldier in his grey standard issue uniform, but the others appeared to be scientists. The soldier stepped forward to address them.

"Ok children, it's time you find out why you're here."

Reece let out a whoop.

"About time."

"Indeed. If you would follow me to the elevators."

The soldier, identified as Corporal Langarie by the badge on his lapel turned and led the way down a series of corridors and through several large high security blast doors to the descending only elevators to the levels below. The children were surprised to see chairs around the inside of the elevators. The Corporal sat down and indicated the others to do the same.

"It's a long journey to the bottom, you might as well get comfortable."

Barret looked up surprised.

"How high is this place?"

"Not high, deep. It's ten miles to the bottom. The facility is built into the core of a stationary asteroid."

Barret lent over to Kail.

"If we're going that far down, what ever this is, it's going to be really important, only the most top secret stuff would be on the bottom levels."

Kail grunted.

"Yes, this is not making me feel any better about this."

Kasumi came over and sat beside Barret.

"So this is it aye. We finally get to find out what's been missing. Are you excited?"

"Excited? Of course but very nervous too."

"Why?"

"Haven't you noticed where we are Kasumi? This is a military base."

"What do you mean, why would we be on a military base?"

"I don't know yet, but I think we're going to find out soon."


Barret cleared his throat, he sensed Kasumi was getting nervous and decided to change the subject.

"What were Reece and Lotus talking to you about earlier?"

Kasumi blushed.

"Oh, er, well they um, they wanted to know, well it's nothing really."

Barret gave a short laugh.

"Come on, what is it?"

"Well, Lotus said she thought you were really cool after saving her on that gantry and she wanted to know if I minded if she asked you to be her boyfriend."

Barret laughed again.

"Oh, well you might want to tell her she's a bit young for me."

"Really! I mean, ok I'll tell her gently."

"Thank you Kasumi."

"No problem."

"What did Reece want then?"

"Actually I think he's got a bit of a crush on Lotus, he was just following her round. They seem to be getting on anyway, it's a shame the other boy, Bay isn't it doesn't join in."

"Poor kid. I asked Megana about him…"

"Who?"

"Oh, her."

"She was the captain of that ship. How do you know her name?"

"She dated my step father a few years ago. I guess it's true what they say, about it being a small universe. Anyway, she said he lived on a border colony world somewhere and it was attacked. He was one of only six survivors off the entire planet. His body was badly injured and he had a lot of implants. From the outside he looks human but he's more machine underneath. He's incredibly strong and fast and a whole lot of other things but in return he lost everything. He's barely spoken since, but she said he has some big revenge thing."

"Wow, that poor kid. To loose everything like that and to be so badly injured. I guess it explains how he threw that guy like a pebble."

"Yes. Actually I think he might know more about what's going on here, I can't see why he'd agree to go anyway, it's not like anyone could make him."

"I suppose we should just be friendly to him and hope he opens up."

Barret shrugged and Kasumi yawned.

"Oh, I'm so tired. I didn't sleep to well last night."

"Well, it's gonna be another hour and a half or there about before we reach the bottom, so you can get in forty winks if you want."

"Yeah, that's a good idea. Wake me when we get there."

With that, she snuggled back in the chair, which she found surprisingly comfy and drifted off to sleep. Barret turned back to Kail who had a pack of cards in his hand.

"You know poker."

"Of course."

Kail began to deal when Bay came over.

"I heard you talking to Kasumi. I don't need your pity."

"I know that but everyone needs a friend sometimes."

"Huh."

"You want to play."

Kail offered a card to Bay, who shrugged and took it.

"It's not revenge I want, just the satisfaction that I didn't suffer for nothing.

Barret nodded.

"I understand."

"Good. What's the game."

"Poker."

Barret frowned, he wasn't sure if a small smile had just flickered across Bay's face or not but he felt he was beginning to open up. He sighed, he saw so much of himself in the boy, or maybe it was the other way around.

*

It had been half an hour since they'd begun to play poker and Barret was in no doubt that if Bay had smiled, it was because of the card game as he was now a hundred credits up on both Kail and himself. He wondered if the kid couldn't see through the backs of the cards or something but what ever it was they boy could play poker like a priest takes a sermon.

Had it not been for the hard knock to the head it caused him, the explosion might have been a welcome interruption.

The elevator shook violently for several moments to the sounds of crashing and creaking metal. The next thing they knew the elevator was dropping rapidly and for a few seconds Barret wondered if the breaks had given out till a sharp deceleration knocked him to the floor again. When he hauled himself to his feet he realised they'd stopped though the elevator was leaning to an unhealthy angle to the left, the doors two had been wrenched to a funny angle and light was streaming into the now darkened elevator through a gap at the bottom. Another violent jolt seemed to shock peoples minds into gear as Megana began shouting for the others to get out. Barret knew the breaks wouldn't hold them for long and was glad to see Bay and the Colonel prising the doors apart. He noticed Kasumi lying still on the floor and rushed to her side his fingers desperately checking for a pulse, but he found it strong and breathed a sigh of relief as she opened her eyes.

"What happened?"

"Don't know but we don't have time, we've got to get out of here before it goes."

As he said the words he felt the elevator begin to drop slowly, grabbing Kasumis hand he hauled her to her feet and out the doors just in time as the breaks gave way and the lift dropped almost five miles to its doom taking Kasumis shoe with it. Barret looked up from the floor and Kail.

"Everyone get out?"

"Yeah, but we still got problems."


He indicated the Colonel over his shoulder. Barret stood up helping Kasumi up too.

"What do you mean?"

The colonel came over.

"He means we're stuck on a two mile square floor with only two exits one of which just collapsed and we're surrounded by killing machines."

"What do you mean, what's happened?"

"We put off the introduction because we'd had some problems down here with a new piece of technology that escaped."

"Escaped?"

"It was an artificial intelligent weapon, a droid with self replicating ability. We recaptured it but it seems one of its drones was missed. I'm guessing it's got loose again. The problem is it's learnt how we caught it, that explosion was it sealing off the lower floors until it had built up a big enough force to fight out. I doubt the stairs are clear either."

"This is your weapon right, why can't you control it?"

"It's intelligent, could we make you fight if you didn't want to?" This thing is a little more dangerous though."

Kail snorted at this.

"Don't bet on it. So how do we get out of here?"

"This thing has no morals or cares it will kill without prejudice."

"Yeah, but how do we get out."

"Well although the upper floors are cut off, the lower floors are probably still accessible. The lowest level has a launch tube but it's sealed from the inside so the rescue teams can't get in that way. If we can get to it we can get out and let the clean up teams in."

"Can't we wait till the clean up teams get through to us?"

Lotus asked timidly from behind.

"No, we'd be dead before then. These things will be hunting us they need biological components for replication. To them we're spare parts."

"Shit, nice one the military. We got any weapons against them."

"There's a security office half a mile to the west, there'll be a few EMP rifles in there but don't go playing the hero here kid."

"Look, it's quite clear we're here cos we're some sort of weapon. Most of us have at least rudimentary combat skill and there's no one else round here. You can't take these things on alone we're the best backup you've got at the moment. Besides if you think I'm going to stand around and not do anything your mistaken. I've never done that in my life."

"Me neither."

Kail said clenching his fists. Bay looked up at the group.

"We'll all fight, no one's dying today."

The Colonel grunted and turned down a corridor.

"Fine, follow me and stay quiet we've got to get to the office first."

Reece suddenly spoke, panic in his voice.

"I think we should run."

"Don't be stupid they'll pick up our position."

"I think they already have."

The colonel and the others turned to see a metallic cat like creature round the corner its eyes an evil red, two huge fangs glinting even in the florescent light of the corridor.

"Ok run, end of the corridor and turn left."

No one hesitated as they began running the closed doors each side flying by too fast to read the signs on them.

Bay was the first one to realise the Colonel wasn't with them.

"Barret, the Colonel."

Barret looked round.

"Shit that moron. He must know what he's doing. I doubt he'd give up his life for us like that."

"I can…"

"No, we stick together. We need you more till we can get those rifles, for all you know he's probably augmented too."

"Fine, but how do we find our way out."

"The techies will know."

Barret was cut short as he almost ran in to Kail who'd stopped ahead of him. He was about to shout a string of abuse when he saw another metallic creature ahead. This one was more human but still looked as deadly. It began to advance slowly an enormous blade protruding above its forearm. The scientists cowered against the wall as Megana tried to comfort Lotus who looked petrified. Barret, Kail and Bay stood forward in front of the others. Kasumi called from behind them.

"Be careful."

"Err thanks."


The humanoid rushed them swinging wildly downwards with its razor sharp blade aimed to slice them all in half. Barret and Kail instinctively leaped backwards, Kail falling over Kasumi but Bay stood his ground and at the last moment grasped the blade in both hands by the dull back edge and twisted the creature round but clearly struggling. Seeing his chance Barret leapt forward again in a flying kick fashion planting his foot at the base of the creatures spine. He felt a sharp snap as his foot punctured through the thin fleshy membrane that covered the metal components and separated the artificial spinal column from its hips and at the same moment Bay wrenched the torso upwards by the bladed arm and hurled it down the corridor with as much force as he could muster embedding the broken machine in a small crater in one wall, Barret collapsed in a heap over the creatures legs which still desperately tried to move for a second before falling still. Barret laughed despite the uncomfortable position he was in.

"I guess I hit a weak spot."

"Maybe. You're one lucky bastered."

Barret turned to see the Colonel leaning against the wall, wires protruding from his right shoulder where his arm had been, deep gashes across his face and body.

"I suggest we get a move on before another one arrives. It won't have the same weakness."

The others nodded and the colonel helped Barret to his feet.

"Come on the security office is just down here a bit."

And once again they were running deciding the machines could find them whether they made a lot of noise or not. As it happened they reached the office without meeting another of the creatures but it only made them feel more uneasy.

There were five rifles left but each only had a few shots in the cells. Barret tossed one to Kail.

"Better than nothing aye."

"One shot should disable most of them so don't waste your rounds. Rifles are numbered, I've got number one. I'll fire first till I'm out of rounds then the who ever had number 2 fires and so on. Only if the current shooter can not fire should anyone else use theirs. Understood?"


Barret, Kail, Bay and Megana who had the other rifles acknowledged the colonel.

"Ok then, we'd better move out. An time we wait gives them a chance to get stronger."

Kasumi put a hand on Lotus shoulder who looked about ready to collapse.

"It's ok, we'll be out of here soon, just hang in there ok?"

She nodded and smiled.

"I'm not used to all this. At home my servants would take care of things."

"Personally I think you're taking this remarkable well for someone whose life style is so unlike this."

"My father said he'd disown me if I shamed the family name. That is why I am here, I must not let out name be damaged. Honour is what keeps my family as rulers of Polaris."

"You're more resilient than you look Lotus. Once we're out of here we'll have to talk more."

Lotus smiled again.

"Ok. Kasumi did you ask Barret if…"

"Um, well I think you're still a bit young to be getting involved with him. Give it a few years."

Lotus looked disappointed.

"Hey don't worry, they'll be lots of time for that later. Come on, we've got to go we don't want to get left behind."

*

By the time they'd reached the stairwell they were down to the last rifle. Despite the colonels advice they had been surprised several times by sudden attacks and several had fired instinctively. They were all bruised and scared, their base issued jump suits beginning to look the worse for wear and Kail had a deep gash down his leg which had slowed their progress a little. As they all retreated through the door Megana fired the last shots from her rifle before throwing it at the six remaining droids that were advancing on them. Bay slammed the door shut and pulled a piece of fallen masonry in front of it. Looking round they saw the stairs to the upper levels had indeed been collapsed and rubble littered the stairs for several floors.

"Common that won't hold em for long, trust me."

Bay shouted slipping between some of the fallen concrete that partially blocked the stairs down on their level. The others followed quickly.

The stairs were steep and treacherous but it only sped them up as they almost fell down the flights one by one. However by the seventeenth even the Colonel was looking exhausted and Barret could swear there was steam coming from Bays mouth. Bay noticed the funny look.

"It's a cooling mechanism for my internal mechanics. If you think it's funny…"

"Not funny. I was just concerned, I thought maybe something had got damaged in one of the fights."

Bay looked confused and he felt it too. After all the time he'd spent alone, he'd started to forget people could really care.

"Thanks."

"No problem."

Barret looked back up the narrow gap between the flights of the stairs. Nothing appeared to be following.

"Why'd they stop?"

"Maybe they can't handle steps yet, give them a minute."

Barret looked down between the stairs. The drop was so far he couldn't see the bottom.

"How far is it to the bottom?"

"Four miles at least."

"There must be a faster way to get down these."


There was a crash sound from behind. They turned to see Kasumi holding a large sign she'd had Bay pull from the wall.

"You guys know how to skateboard?"

The others all gave her a confused expression, and Megana shook her head violently. The two scientists who had remained quietly at the back also looked worried at this. The colonel took a step toward her.

"What are you thinking?"

"It's a trick a friend of mine showed me. You take the wheels off a board and stick you feet to the board. Then you use a glove or a bit of cloth on your hand to grip the rail and let yourself slide. As long as you let your feet go out behind you on the corners it's not to difficult. If you go to fast you just grip the rail tighter."

Barret shook his head.

"No way. I never figured you for a skater chick."

"I dabbled. What does everyone think?"

Barret smiled.

"Hell yeah."

"No, it won't work."

They all looked at the Colonel, both Megana and the scientists looked relieved.

"Colonel there's no faster way down. If we run it's gonna take hours, they'llv caught up by then."

"Where do we get the boards and how do we stick to them."

Kasumi waved the sign in her hand which Bay had since bent the edges up on.

"We grab the floor number signs from the next few floors. As far as sticking, we just melt the rubber on our shoes with Kails lighter."

The Colonel shook his head. Barret looked annoyed.

"It's our only way, we have to try at least."

"What about Kail."

"My leg is fine. I'll be less pain than anymore stares."

He said throwing his lighter to Kasumi with a wink.

*

It took ten minutes for the `stair boards' to be gathers and readied but once attached to their feet the Colonel had to admit it might work. Barret had decided he and Reece should both go at the back as they had more experience than all but Kasumi, the others would go in the middle with Kasumi at the front as she could show them how to take the corners. She looked back at the others as they wrapped a strip of their jumpsuits round their hands.

"Just remember, it's all in gripping the rail and leaning into the corners. Oh, and lean on the back of the board more than the front or you'll go had over heals."

With that she did a small hop and began coasting down the stairs slowly picking up speed. They waited for her to round the first corner before starting so they could watcher swing her legs out behind her letting the boards edge slide across the floor before levelling out for the descent. With a quiet Yahoo Kail slid forward and began his descent followed by Bay Megana the two scientists who Barrets had discover were named Phoil and Gram while he helped them attach their boards.

The Colonel followed them unsteadily at first but seemingly getting the hang of it after the third of fourth corner. Barret had been worried about the Colonels missing arm causing him to loose balance or grip but it didn't seem to. Barret had to admit the old man impressed him at how well he adapted to situations and how tolerant he'd been of a bunch of youngsters invading hi field of expertise so to speak. He shrugged and after letting Reece begin his slide tilted the board over the first step and let himself go.

Kasumi was a good three or four flights ahead of the others but both Kail and Bay seemed to be gaining and even Megana, Phoil and Gram seemed to be holding pace though they were not pulling off anyone the tricks Kasumi displayed everyone once in a while. In face only Reece and Barret had

attempted one, a quick spin to slide backwards for a moment before turning round to take the corner as it was a way to forget the desire to overtake the slower ones. Barret was just considering trying a rail grind he'd seen Kasumi do when a load crashing broke out above them indicating the machines were on their tails again. Peering up between the stairs, they could see several of the machines coming down the stairs at high speed.

"Ok guys, trainings over. You're gonna have to push yourselves now or we're all gonna die."

It took a second but Barret saw the Colonels pace increase indicating the others in front had done the same. Barret crouched back a little lower and let his hand almost totally off the rail bar his palm cupped behind the rail to allow him to corner. He caught Reece in no time and instructed him to do the same but this only meant they were both tail gating the Colonel urging him to do the same. He called back to them.

"I could go faster, but these two can't."

Barret was silent for a moment then made up his mind.

"In a moment, Reece and I are going to overtake so we can give Phoil and Gram a hand. You'll have to take your hand off the rail for a second so we can get past. Reece once we're past, grab Phoil, then let me past so I can get Gram, get him to let got he rail and you steer for him. After that, it's just a matter of going as fast as you can manage."

"Ok Barret, we're on your territory now. Do your stuff to get those guys down, we'll need them to open the launch doors, from here on I'm expendable so if I seem to be in trouble, don't come back for me."

"I though a soldier never left a man behind, the last thing I want is your death on my conscious, if you're too slow I'll tow you."

"Too slow! Ok, I think it's time I showed you how fast I learn. Next corner I'll lift my arm, Reece be ready, the corner after you go Barret."

Both boys nodded.

"Ok ready."

The three let their feet slide out slightly as the edge of the `board' cut across the stairs in the tight ark of the corner before letting them lye flat again, then the Colonel raised his arm and Reece slipped through before it quickly gripped the rail again. The following corner he let Barret through as did Reece. The next minute he realised the other two were already pulling away from him with alarming speed, he wondered if they were even gripping the rails at all. The Colonel raised his hand from the rail and let himself go, almost immediately he felt the speed increase and for a second thought he would crash but he let his fingers curl behind the rail in time and found himself flung round the corner.

*

For what seemed like hours they speed downwards always with the sound of crashing concrete behind them as the mechanical beast tore after them, though it did at least seem to grow further and further behind them with each flight of stairs they descended. In fact their journey took little more than twenty minutes though their hands were becoming sore when Kasumi finally spotted the floor down the well between the flights of stairs. She indicated to the others as she gripped the rail slightly more with each of the last flights she descended.

The moment she coasted off the last step she skidded to a halt and wrestled her shoes from the board, breaking the melted rubber sealant that had faithfully held it attached. The rest arrived soon after and followed Kasumis example. Barret ripped the board from his feet and stared back up the stairs as the Colonel fell from the last step. The machines had fallen behind but were still coming and it would only take them a few minutes to arrive and it sounded like a few more had joined the chase. He looked round to see the Colonel ushering the others through a large steel door.

"Hurry Barret, this door should hold them off long enough but we have to be fast."

Barret hurried thought the door.

"Long enough for what."

"It's time for you to meet the other part of the project. If we leave them down here they'll be destroyed, but the launch pad isn't ready for them, so we're gonna have to fight those things."

"Fight them, with what? What exactly is the other part of this project?"

The Colonel nodded Phoil and Gram who'd stopped either side of an enormous set of metal doors. They pressed their hands to a white panel on the door frame and with a loud creak they split and opened. The colonel stepped in front of the group.

"This is the final part, of Project MeX, the machines you were especially created to pilot. The BiomecanX."

The doors opened and the children got their first look at the six enormous machines standing ready, sleek, cool, beautiful and deadly. Phoil spoke.

"It is time to unite pilot with mech. Our work is complete."