Fan Fiction ❯ Blue Rose ❯ Filiet Et Me Convasque Be Leten ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 2

"Filiet Et Me, Convosque Be Leten" (Friend of mine become my light.)

(Ok Ok I have gotten a few comments about how Elrond was married before to Celebrian, Galadriel and Celeborn's daughter. I already knew this… and if you cared to read the details of the conversation between him and his sons in the last chapter you would see where I am going with this. Plus, this is fan fiction and I am sure we all know what that means. Well anywho… enough of my slight ranting… heh heh.. on with Chapter 2!!)

"She sure can be demanding." Elrohir sighed as they rode.

"Are you still going on about that?" Elladan, Elrohir's twin brother asked. They rode side by side, ahead of them was their father, the Elf Lord Elrond. They had all taken a trip to see Galadrial, the mother of their own. After the Lady Celebrian had gone to the west, the three of them (usually four, but Arwen, their younger sister, was a little busy these days) would travel to Lothlorien every ten years to visit her mother and father.

"It's just the fact that she IS our grandmother, and she should act like it!" Elrohir exclaimed.

"She is also the Lady of the Wood." Elrond said to his son, "and acting as such comes first."

"Yes, but father, she acts as though she is the only one hurt by the lose of our mother." Elrohir raised his tone slightly.

"And she has every right to think such things!" Elladan said. "None of us here knows what it is like to loose a child, but I am sure that we could imagine such a heartbreak. And besides, will not all of our kind be going to the West at one point?" There was silence at these words. Elladan looked at his father. :My Lord, why do we not take the way home that we are most used to? This road is longer, as you well know, by at least a day's ride."

"I made a promise." Elrond looked ahead of them. "And I intend on keeping it."

Elrohir leaned towards his brother to whisper, "I'll bet you my new bow that it has to do with the Lady Fernala."

"That is a wager that I will not partake upon. For it is quite obvious that she may be the very center of the promise." Elladan smiled towards their father.

"This road is just too long!" Elrohir complained.

"Well the town will be in sight after the bend up the road. Through the town and just over the river will we find the Lady Fernala and the Winding River." Elladan smiled.

"A good meal, a hot bath, and a nice rest on soft beds."

"And a bedtime milk and honey tea from a very lovely lady!" both laughed.

They blinked when they saw that their father had stopped at the bend and didn't look to happy with what he was looking at.

"Father? What is it?" Elrohir rode up beside him and gasped. Elladan only looked on silently, for there before them was the small town and the river. They could see it all clearly from the hill they were standing on. But on the other side of the river, where the Winding River should have been, was a large black spot, smoke rising from it. Two figures could be seen walking in and around the large spot.

"What do you think happened?" Elladan asked the others.

Elrond did not give or wait for an answer. He prodded his horse and it took off at a gallop. The twins were right behind him. They rode with great speed through the town, dodging every man who got in their way, and raced over the bridge. When they reached the burnt down inn, Elrond didn't waist time by completely stopping his horse before dismounting. He rushed quickly over to the old innkeeper who was walking around the debris and ashes, looking for pieces of his life. His wife was over, sitting on a rock, crying.

"Where is she?" Elrond demanded as he approached the man. "What happened here?"

"They took her." The old man said.

"Who took her?" Elrond was in a hurry to find and help her.

"They wanted her," he said, "but I told them no… they tried to take her forcefully. She cut off her pursuer's left ear with that dagger of hers. That got the rest of them angry… They bunched up and overtook her. They took her and burnt down the inn…"

"Who?!? Who took her old man!?!" Elrond was in hysterics. He grabbed tightly to the man's shirt.

"Rangers!"

Elrond let go at this. "Rangers? But they would never do something such as this…"

"Father," Elrohir called. "Perhaps they were thieves and murderers disguised as Rangers!"

Elrond thought about this for a moment then nodded. "We will find Fernala and take her to Rivendel. She will be safe there." He turned to retrieve his horse.

"She was so excited." The innkeeper said as he followed Elrond. "She was counting the days. Waiting for your safe return to her."

Elrond turned to look at the man. "She did, did she?"

"Yes my Lord. She wouldn't stop daydreaming about it."

Elrond smiled as he mounted his horse. "Which way did they take her?"

The old man pointed towards the forest, "That way, I heard them at dinner, speaking of a cave in the Misty Mountains."

"Right." Elrond turned to his sons. "You may go home if you wish, or travel with me. What do you choose?"

"To go with you father." Elladan said.

"Don't think that we're going to let you save her without us!" Elrohir smirked.

Elrond blinked at this before his attention was once again called back to the innkeeper.

"Here…" the innkeeper handed him something long, wrapped in a blue, silk cloth. "I at least saved this from the fire."

Elrond took the object and un-wrapped it. He found in his hands was the very same dagger that Fernala had used.

"I had never seen her with it before the day you three showed up."

"That is because I gave it to her." Elrond turned to his sons as he put the dagger into a satchel. "Let's go!" And with that, the three rode off at a fast run, into the woods.

***************

(Flashback to the night of the first meeting)

"Rivendel sounds very lovely, I wish I could see it." Fernala said as she sat on the floor before the hearth. She had her knees pulled up to her chest and her arms wrapped around them. She was smiling at Elrond who was still in the chair.

"Perhaps one day you will." Elrond said before drinking from the cup of tea she had brought to him. "My sons have become quiet."

"I brought tea to them as well. They are really sweat boys." She smiled.

"You like them then?"

"Why would I not? They are your sons are they not?"

Elrond considered her for a moment, then smiled. "And how should I feel about you saying this?"

This caused Fernala to blush. She sat up and looked into the fire. "So far, from what I have seen and how you have acted around and treated me, you seem to be a rather kind Lord. But I am sure you have heard that many times in the past."

"You must not have met many kind Lords then?"

"That I have not. And with time each has passed on, only to live again in their progeny. But you, a good and kind Lord, will live a long time. As you already have." She turned to smile at him, but blinked when she saw him leave his seat to sit on the ground to face her. He took her hand into his and held it gently. "You are a kind girl. Wise and kind. Never change Fernala. Even though you are part Elf, you have been raised by men."

"I know, and as I grew I knew that I was different, so I acted how I felt, never like the men around me. Hate, greed, jealousy. I hate all of these things. Although, man is not evil all of the time. They have their `Elvish' qualities as well. They care for each other in times of need. And are capable of love." She smiled at him. "Why do you hide your heart?"

Elrond blinked at the sudden change of topic. "What do you mean my Lady?"

"You hide your emotions. Even in watching me all evening, I knew you were feeling something, but neither your face, nor your eyes gave any emotions away. It was all stone except for the few smiles."

"As I have told you, my Lady has gone to the West, and I feel that I am not ready to let her rest. I have no reason to really let go of her until our meeting again when we all will travel there."

Fernala took the hand that was holding hers and held it to her heart. "Let me be the reason, a frown does not suit you my Lord. I wish only to see you smile."

Elrond looked the girl over and smiled at her kindly, "Do you really wish to be my reason?"

Fernala nodded to him. "And I know you are traveling, so I will not ask to go with you. I just wish that I didn't have to be alone while you and your sons are gone. I've been alone all of my life, and with the three of you here, am happy for the first time."

Elrond studied her face for a moment, then smiled once before getting up off of the floor. Fernala followed suit and stood in wait for him to say something. She watched as Elrond made his way over to a leather travel bag that was on the bed. He reached inside and pulled out a beautiful eleven-inch dagger. He stood their looking at it for a moment before turning to go back to her. "This, I have put a lot of time into making. I started making it a few days after Celebrian left for the West. I hoped that it would keep my mind off of her. It worked until I was finished with it. Now you will fill in that void." With that Elrond took her hand and placed the dagger in it. "This dagger, I give to you so that it will protect you when I cannot." He leaned forward to kiss her forehead. Fernala did not allow him to do so, but tilted her head upward just as his lips were about to touch her brow. Her lips met his for only a quick moment before he quickly moved away from her, looking at her as if she had done something rather unthinkable. "W… why did you do that?" He stammered.

"To show you my gratitude my Lord, for you see, I have nothing to give to you in return." She tilted her head before getting closer to him. "Was I wrong in doing so?"

"N..No…" Elrond blinked down at her.

Fernala smiled as she had to stand on her toes to reach up and kiss him again. Elrond was a little hesitant, but gave in and gently werapped his arms around the girl.

**********

"Father!" Elrohir's voice broke into Elrond's thoughts. "From the heat that was still being given from the ashes, it might take us a day and a halfs steady ride to reach the Lady Fernala!"

"Then we ride through the night!"Elrond said to his sons. Both agreed as they encouraged their beasts to speed up.

They rode through the night until early dawn when they first caught site of smoke coming from the trees about two miles from them. Theyslowed their rides down and snuck upon the camp. The smoke was coming from a hearth of ashes from a fire that had burned all night long. There were six of the bandits and each was asleep near the hearth, their horses tied to trees. They looked around franticlly for any sign of th LadyFernala. She too had been tied to a tree and had been gagged. She slept as well, leaning on the tree and by the look of her she had been up for a good portion of the night, waiting for her captures to go to sleep.

Elrond turned to his sons, "Elladan, find and untie the fastest horse they have. Elrohir, keep an eye on the men. If any awaken, alert us with your horn. I will free the Lady Fernala."

"Right." Both elves whispered before taking off. Elrond made his way over to the tree that Fernala was tied to and undid the ropes that bound her.

Through his efforts, Fernala had awoken and started to squeal slightly, until she realized who he was. Elrond helped her up and right as he took off her gag, was rather surprised to have her kissing him once again. He would have given anything to let her keep doing so, but he knew better than to do so. He slowly pushed her away and smiled at her. Just as she was about to say something, they heard the sound of Elrohir's horn. The sound was cut short as they started hearing metal upon metal. Elrond pulled out his sword. "Get to the horses! Elladan will be there!" And with that Elrond went to help his other son. Fernala ran to where she could see the fabulous white beasts as well as one of the thieves own. Standing before them was Elladan, shooting off arrow after arrow, trying to help his father and brother. Fernala looked at the mad fight and found it odd that they were only fighting five men. She looked in the satchels until she found her dagger and stood close to Elladan who turned to smile at her. She gave a weak smile back before seeing the sixth man running right at Elladan from behind, sword raised. Fernala quickly unsheathed the dagger and threw it. The blade went right into the man's chest, striking his heart. He fell to the ground, dead.

Elladan quickly turned to see the man fall, then turned back to Fernala and smiled. "Pretty good for a first time!" He then went back to shooting at the other men. He shot three of them, only wounding them, and left the other two to his brother and father. Elladan went and retrieved the dagger for Fernala. He cleaned it off before handing it to her. "You're pretty good at throwing that. We might want to try having you use throwing darts." He smiled as he lifted her onto the grey speckled horse.

"Only if you promise to teach me good sit."

"Only if you call me Elladan." He smiled again just as his father and brother made their way over.

"Are you alright my Lady?" Elrohir asked when he first arrived.

"I'll say she is! She scared the devil out of me!" Elladan smiled.

"Oh?" Elrond looked between the two.

"That's right! I turned to smile at her and she pulled out that dagger and threw just as fast as lightening, just as one of those thieves was about to attack me with a sword!" Elladan pointed at the dead man on the ground. Both elves looked at the body before looking back at the now blushing Fernala.

"Well let us get out of here before they decide to regroup. The only one killed is that one." Elrohir smiled. The elves mounted their horses and made haste to the main road.

"We should make it back to the town before nightfall." Elrond pointed out. They had been riding all morning and Elrond made sure to keep close to Fernala.

"Why are we going back father? It will take us even longer to get home then!" Elladan complained.

Elrohir turned to his brother. "Are we to let her family think that she was killed or something equally horrid?!?" he barked. They both blinked when they heard Fernala's bell like giggling. They turned to look at her.

"Thank you all for being so kind to me." She smiled.

"We don't intend on stopping there either." Elrond smirked.

"Oh?" Fernala blinked at him.

"No. Actually, I intend to have a few of our craftsmen come and help to rebuild the Winding River."

"Really?!?" Fernala's face brightened up.

Elrond gave a nod and chuckled at the girl

"My Lady, if you could, maybe if you sang, the time will go by quickly and we will be there in no time!" Elladan smiled.

"If you wish it of me, then I shall." She smiled once more before she began singing a joyous song.

(A/N- Alright!!! One more chapter to go!! Woot! Anywho… The next one is really just a follow-up on what happens a year from these past two chapters… hope you all enjoy! And review!)