Fan Fiction ❯ Broken Eternity ❯ When Evertyhing Goes Wrong ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5: When Everything Goes Wrong

"I do not like this."

"Yes it is to quiet and the trees speak of danger."

The two elves were speaking quietly but everyone in the group heard them. Throughout the day the horses had been growing restless and the forest felt oppressive. No birds sang in the trees and it was eerily quiet.

Estel did not like this at all and felt his horse shifted nervously under him. He knew something bad was going to happen at any second but couldn't tell what.

A branch snapped nearby and everyone in the group froze. Suddenly arrows rained down around them and a horse screamed in agony. Orcs burst through the clearing and attacked.

"Its an ambush!"

One of the elves cried and soon everything was thrown in chaos.

Grabbing his sword, Estel began to slash at the Orcs with one hand and control his horse with the other. Luckily for him it was an elfish trained mount or else it would have fled in terror. He could see his brothers fighting a small group of Orcs nearby and they were making short work of them. Looking around he could see that the other elves were holding their own but no sign of Legolas. One of the Orc's swords sliced into his side and he let out a curse. Snarling in anger, he quickly beheaded the Orc and panted in pain. Now he understood why his arm's master told him not to get distracted in battle and what happened if you did.

"Estel!"

Glancing up he saw Legolas standing in the trees shooting arrow after arrow into the Orcs. Every one of them hit and he could see a few Orcs lay dead nearby. Their eyes met for a moment and then returned to battle. He was relieved to see that the prince was still alive and well. Ignoring the pain in his side for now he continued to slash at the enemy and kill them.

Legolas watched his friend return to battle and let out a sigh of relief. He was extremely glad that Estel was not to badly injured by the Orc. When this was over he had to remember to have a talk with that mortal about paying better attention in battle. It was still strange how the Orcs had come out of nowhere and attacked them. Something was suspicious about this and he didn't like it. For one they should have heard them coming and two the Orcs were too dumb to plan a strategy like this. Sighing softly he decided to figure this out later since more Orcs were appearing. Holding his bow steady he shot another Orc and watched it fall over dead.

~

What felt like hours later, Estel gazed around and realized that he was far away from the main battle. Swiftly dealing a killing blow to the Orc, he turned his horse around and froze. The two beings he did not want to see stood a few feet away and he did not like their expressions.

Lossëdil smiled coldly. "Hello again little mortal we came to see if you were alright."

The words were said with false concern and it sent a chill down Estel's spine. Of all the times he had to face them and it had to be now. He could feel the blood leaking down his side from his injury and wondered if it was poisoned. Other aches in his body burned fiercely and he wished that they would just leave him alone.

"As you can see I am fine. Shouldn't you two be helping the others battle the Orcs?"

"They are doing fine with out us and now to finish an important matter."

Ambardil was regarding him with a strange expression and before Estel could blink his world went red. Agony ripped through his mind and it hurt to breath. He felt his grip loosen on the reins and his horse neigh. The next thing he knew, he was lay on the ground stunned and confused.

The two brothers watched the mortal fall off his horse and crash on to the ground.

Lossëdil slid off his mount and walked over to check if the mortal was all right. Kneeling down he checked Estel's neck and felt his rapid pulse.

"He is still alive I take it?"

Turning around he watched his brother lower his bow and ride over to him.

"Yes he is, the fall just stunned him."

Ambardil smirked and slid off his horse. Leaning over he reached down and dragged the boy to his feet. Moving his head closer he gazed into pain filled grey eyes and laughed.

"Well mortal there is no one here to protect you now."

Estel was in horrible agony from his wounds and it was hard to understand what the elf was saying. He truly did not understand any of this or why they tried to kill him.

Lossëdil saw the confusion in the mortal's eyes and smiled. "I can tell you are curious as to why we hate you or even want you dead am I right?"

He watched the boy nod slowly and hiss in pain. A feeling of satisfaction welled up inside of him and let out a laugh.

"Its because all mortals should die because of what they did to our sister!"

Estel was confused and didn't understand. "What do you mean?"

Ambardil smiled grimly. "Our little sister was ambushed by men and beaten to death on her return home. She had nothing of value and was killed for no reason."

Shock showed on the mortal's face and sorrow as well. Estel felt saddened that his own kind had done this to an elf but it was wrong to blame the whole race. Seeing the looks of hatred on their faces he somehow knew that they wouldn't listen to him at all.

Ambardil released him and took a few steps back. His brother walked over to the horses and stood next to them. Estel watched as Ambardil pulled out his sword and smiled at him.

"I suggest that you pull out your sword and defend yourself. Or do you want to die so quickly?"

Estel did not want to fight the elf but could see no way out of this. They wanted him dead and unless he fought he sure would be. Letting out a tired sigh he pulled out his sword and watched him wearily. Ambardil charged towards him and attacked. Their sword clashed together and came apart with a loud shriek. Estel brought his sword up in a defensive position and felt the elf's slam into it. It was agony ignoring the arrow wound and more so to fight with a sword. Pain ripped through his mind and it was getting harder to concentrate. He could see the triumph in other elf's eyes and knew he couldn't last much longer. They broke apart he knew the final swing would decided everything.

"Stop this at once!"

The shout startled the two opponents and then it was over. Estel gazed down in shock at their swords before looking up at Ambardil. The other elf was just as shocked and all was quiet in the clearing. Grey eyes met brown and for the first time they were clear of rage. He watched as the elf smiled at him and then fell to the ground.

"Ambardil!"

Lossëdil scream echoed throughout the forest, as the he ran and fell to his knees next to his brother. He tried to frantically stop the bleeding but couldn't. His brother was going to die and there was nothing he could do.

Ambardil brown eyes opened slowly and gazed up at his brother. He knew his wound was fatal and that he was going to die. A part of him should have hated the mortal for this but he didn't. All he felt was a sense of relief and he was so tired. Looking up at his little brother, he could see the tears and pain. There were so many things he wanted to say but he didn't have enough time to say them.

Taking a pain filled breath Ambardil spoke quietly, "I love you my brother."

Lossëdil watched as his brother smile at him and the light faded out of his brown eyes. Something inside of him snapped and the tears fell in earnest. Letting out a cry he fell across his brother's chest and began to weep.

Estel watched the two brothers and saw Ambardil take his final breath. He knew that the other elf was dead and that he had killed him. Closing his eyes he let his sword go and heard it clatter to the ground. Guilt and anguish weighed heavily on his soul.

"Estel how could you?"

Snapping his eyes open at the angry voice he saw Legolas. The blond elf was regarding him with hatred and confusion.

"How could you kill my cousin?"

The words hurt and all though he knew that he should explain but he couldn't. He could see that the prince would not listen to him or want to for that matter.

"I will make you pay for this mortal."

Estel knew that the elf was serious and let out a sigh. Everything was starting to blur in a pain filled haze but he fought it. He would not show his weakness to someone who wouldn't even hear his side of the story. The longer he gazed into those blue eyes the more certain he knew that whatever friendship they had was over.

~