Fan Fiction ❯ Broken Eternity ❯ Friendly Bonding ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4: Friendly Bonding

Legolas let out a contented sigh as the wind blew back his long golden hair. The day was glorious and he along with the sons' of Elrond had decided to go hunting. They were low on supplies and need more before beginning the trip back to Mirkwood. He felt the branch shift slightly and looked over at Estel. The mortal was leaning against the tree and was slightly pale. It was kind of amusing to see the boy trying to valiantly not look down at the ground and remember how high up he was.

"I take it you that you don't like being in a tree during the day either?"

Estel looked over at the elf and rolled his eyes. "Of course not. I don't like being in a tree whether its day or night. It's a bit unnerving to be so high and not being able to feel solid ground."

Legolas let out a delighted laugh and Estel mock glared at him.

"If men were meant to be in trees then they would have wings to fly or claws to climb."

An image of Estel being either of theses entered Legolas's head and he laughed out loud.

"You would make a funny looking bird or squirrel my friend."

Letting out a huff Estel shook a finger at his friend and then joined in his laughter.

"Even though as a youth I swear our little brother thought he could fly." Elrohir commented mockingly.

The two friends turned and gazed over at the twins. They both had mischievous looks in their eyes and Estel felt a sense of dread. He knew that look never boded well for anyone in the area and it was worse for him.

"And what do you mean by that comment?" Blue eyes gleamed with curiosity.

Legolas had the same looks as the twins and Estel groaned softly. Elrohir grinned and watched his little brother squirm. It was so hard not to laugh at the deadly glares he was receiving from gray eyes or the laughter in blue eyes. He felt his twin pat him on the shoulder and glanced at him.

"Now now Elrohir don't embarrass our brother like that it is very rude."

Elladan saw the relief shining in Estel's eyes and grinned.

"If your going to tell the story then do it right. He was trying to be a squirrel and climb a tree not fly like a bird."

The twins laughed at their brothers red face and Estel smiled grimly.

"But if I remember it was you two who dared me to climb the tree and as a result I fell. I remember father was most upset and you two had to clean the stables for a month."

Legolas began to laugh again at the twin's sheepish expressions and Estel's look of triumph. It was very amusing hearing the brother's bicker with each other and heartwarming as well. They were good companions to go hunting with and he was extremely glad that he had invited them to come on the patrol. The twins were marvelous trackers and were very experienced. Bring Estel in the mix and they made hunting easy. They seemed to be able to read any marking left on the ground by any animal and easily identify what it is. The only thing they weren't good at was archery but then again the brothers still hit the target decently. Watching the brother's bicker some more, he just shook his head and grinned.

~

Lossëdil paced the campgrounds and growled angrily. Legolas had taken the sons' of Elrond on the hunt but not his cousins. It irritated and enraged him that Legolas had excluded them. He could see that the mortal and elf were slowly bonding. It disgusted him and he wanted to kill the boy. How dare the mortal even think to befriend their cousin or think that he even had the right?

Ambardil watched his brother pace and shook his head. "Patience brother everything will be alright. And you must calm down or others will be suspicious as to what is wrong with you."

He watched as Lossëdil stopped and looked around. The other elves in the group were chatting a few feet away but were watching them. If his brother didn't stop his infernal pacing then everything would be ruined.

Lossëdil grumbled and sat down next to his brother. He waited until the other elves stopped watching them and leaned closer to Ambardil.

"I will calm down for now brother but we must finish this soon. I do not like how there is a bond forming between them and soon it will be to strong to break."

Ambardil nodded in agreement. He knew that Legolas had few friends but those he had stayed that way for life. If they didn't do something soon then it would be to late and he refused for that to happen. The boy had to die and atone for the sins done to his sister by his race. It didn't matter to him that he was raised by elves, he was still a man and needed to pay.

"Soon my brother soon but for now we wait for the right moment."

~

Estel knelt on the ground and gazed across the clearing. He could see the young buck grazing on the grass and all was still. They had been quietly tracking the herd of deer for a few hours and finally come across them. He knew that the twins and Legolas were in the trees but was unsure of where. Raising his bow carefully he took aim and fired. Arrows flew from the trees as well and hit their targets. The other deer's took off in fright and all was quiet for a second.

"My arrow hit first!"

Elrohir landed in the soft grass next to Estel and grinned.

"No mine did."

Elladan swung down from the tree and mock glared at his twin. Legolas came down next and smirked at the brothers.

"You are both wrong. I hit the deer first and you three shoot like Orcs."

Estel rolled his eyes and looked up at the trees. Those three had been acting like this ever since Legolas had boasted that he was the best archer in Mirkwood. The gauntlet had been thrown and of course and the twins thought of this as a challenge. Of course he had been roped in as well since he was there brother and Imladris honor was at stake. Sometimes he wondered why in Ilúvatar name had he been blessed with two such fun loving and pesky twins.

"Estel who do you think shot first?"

Legolas was looking at him and so were the twins. He gulped at their expectant and let out an irritated huff. No matter what he said either side was going to say something else.

"I did."

Estel almost fell over in laughter at their surprised looks. They hadn't thought he would say himself and it was funny. He saw their looks turn to outrage and then the bickering began again. Ignoring them he headed over to the deer and began the long task of preparing the meat. He could hear the others doing the same thing as well as continuing their argument. Sometimes he wondered if being an only child would have been much better and peaceful. Thinking it over though it would have been a lot more boring and life would not have been as much fun.

~

It took a few hours to finally finish with the deer's and head back to camp. The other elves had been happy to see them return and hear the accounts of their hunt.

Estel yawned as he sat near the fire and basked in the heat. It had been a lot of fun hunting with his brothers and the prince. Satisfaction filled his soul and he knew that his friendship with Legolas was going well. The prince had opened up a lot when just being around him and the twins.

"What are you so happy about little brother?"

Elladan was regarding him sleepily and Elrohir as well.

Estel smiled at them warmly. "Just thinking that today was a great day to spend with my brothers and our friend."

Elladan laid down next to his twin. "Yes it was nice to be around our old friend again."

"And to spend time with him and you too little brother." Elrohir winked at him and stretched out on the blanket.

Chuckling quietly, Estel lay down as well and gazed up at the trees. He let out a tired yawn and decided to get some sleep. Tomorrow they would begin their trip back to Mirkwood and he couldn't wait to see his father again.

~

Notes: Decided that I need a nice and happy chapter with Estel, Legolas, and the twins. Hmm had to add the evil cousins in there some were so it wouldn't be to happy. Hopefully I'll have chapter 5 up quick as soon as I finish editing and such. Well hope everyone enjoys this chapter.