Fan Fiction ❯ Broken Eternity ❯ The Truth Can Hurt ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8: The Truth Can Hurt

Legolas leaned against the window and gazed out into the night. The stars shown overhead and the moon glowed. It was peaceful outside and yet it did not help the turmoil in the prince. Sinking his hands into his hair, he closed his aching and tired eyes. It was several hours since he had heard Estel's and the twins' stories. Everything they had told him, had shaken him to his very core and sorrow filled his soul. Legolas knew that Ambardil and Lossëdil grieved the death of their sister, but to take out there grief on Estel was too much. He wondered how many other innocents had died or suffered at there hands. The cousins he thought he once knew had changed so much and became complete strangers. It was heartbreaking to discover and sad at the same time. Legolas had already informed his father and wondered what he would do. The king had first looked shocked and then very angry. Whatever punishment his cousin faced would not be swift and perhaps even be put in the dungeons for life. The worse part about the whole situation was he still hadn't apologized to Estel. After learning about the treachery of his cousins, he had quickly escaped from the mortal's room. He had seen the sad look in Estel's eyes but could not stay because of the turmoil in his heart. Now he knew that he would have to go and face the mortal and express his deepest apologizes. Hopefully Estel would accept it but he wasn't too confident about it. The only thing he could do was pray to Ilúvatar and hope everything would work out all right.

~~

A fire crackled in the corner but all else was quiet in the study. Thranduil regarded his nephew over his desk for a moment before gazing out the window.

"You do know that you and your brother have been accused of a grievous crime?"

He waited patiently but Lossëdil would not look at him or speak. It had been like this for days or so the healers told him. The elf had simply descended into grief and was not aware of anything. It was only a matter of time before he died of grief and perhaps that was the best. Standing up he walked around his desk and stopped in front of his nephew. Leaning down he grasped Lossëdil chin and forced the elf to look at him. Dead and grief stricken brown eyes looked at him. The king wondered if the other elf even heard him or understood. Letting out a sigh he motioned for the guards to come and take the elf away. He watched the guards take Lossëdil away and noticed Lord Elrond outside. Motioning for the other elf to enter he leaned against his desk and gazed at the ground.

"It didn't go well I take it?" Elrond asked.

Thranduil ran a hand through his hair in frustration. "No it didn't. My nephew is consumed by grief and the healers think he will die soon."

Elrond sat down in one of the chairs and gazed at the king. He was sad that his friend had to go through something like this and was unsure of what to say.

"What do you plan to do?"

Thranduil let out a half laugh. "I am unsure. How do you punish someone for a crime when they are not even aware of you or anything else? For now I have no choice but to leave him in the hands of the healers."

Elrond wanted to protest this but wisely kept silent. He was angry that his youngest had been injured and that the elf that did it was not getting punished. But he did understand why Thranduil was not acting yet and could not until the other elf was better. He could see the stress and anguish in the king's eyes.

"Perhaps that is what is best for now."

Standing up he bowed to the king and exited the room. He briefly wondered how he was going to tell his sons of the king's verdict. It wasn't going to be pleasant and the twins were going to be extremely angry. But what worried him the most was how Estel was going to handle it and would it affect his recovery?

~~

Lossëdil lay in the healers' rooms and didn't say a word. He had just arrived back from the meeting with the king and had ignored the old fool. Everyone thought he was dying of grief and it was true. He knew that his heart was broken and that his soul wanted to flee this realm. A crazed grin appeared on his face and he laughed. But before he did all that he had a little score to settle with that mortal Estel. Until then he could find no rest and would not die. The mortal haunted his every waking moment and he needed to avenge his brother's death. A plan was forming in his mind and soon very soon he would act. Letting out a mad chuckle, he gazed up at the ceiling and grinned.

~~

"I am sorry Estel."

The mortal gazed at the sheets for a moment and then looked up at his father.

"It is alright father."

Estel knew that was a lie but he wanted to reassure him. Elrond looked extremely worried and a bit angry. He knew his father was not pleased by Thranduil judgment, but there was nothing he could do about it. It wasn't his realm or even one of his subjects. Looking over at the twins, he had to hide a smile at there expressions. Both of the wore looks of extreme outrage and looked like they wanted to kill something. His brothers were sometimes overprotective of him but that was nothing new. It had been like this as far as he could remember and he had a feeling it would always be like this.

Elrohir huffed softly. "Well I hope Lossëdil doesn't die of grief and has to suffer for what he did to out brother."

Elladan looked at his twin and then at his father. "Yes hopefully the king will throw him in the dudgeons and toss away the key."

"It would be better to tie him up and give him to the Orcs as a present." Elrohir grinned wickedly.

Estel almost laughed out loud at his father's expression and ducked his head. Elrond had a rather perplexed expression and he looked like he wanted to either laugh or reprimand his sons. He rarely ever saw that look on his father's face and it was interesting when it happened.

"What do you think Estel?"

Raising his head he gazed at his brothers and cocked his head. "Think what Elrohir?"

The twins sighed in irritation and then looked at him again. Elrohir glanced at their father and then smiled mischievously.

"Should we tar and feather Lossëdil or truss him up and feed him to the spiders?"

Elrond glared at his sons for a moment and then rolled his eyes. The twins broke out into laughter and Estel as well. He knew his brothers had done this in order to make everyone feel better and it had worked. It had broken the tension that had been in the room ever since they had found out about the king's judgment. And it was a relief to let go of the tension and feel everyone relax again. He knew that Lossëdil would pay for his crimes eventually and he would just have to be patient.

The one thing that bothered him still was Legolas and if they were even still friends. He had not come and visited him since he had learned the truth. It worried him a bit that this might affect friendship and there was nothing he could do. The only thing he could do was hope that the prince would still want to be friends and everything would work out. If it didn't then he would feel regret and sadness, but he would move on. Gazing at his father and the twins, he smiled warmly. After all he still had his family and there love and support. And that was one of the most important things to him in the world.

~~