Fan Fiction ❯ Destroyed By Doom's Day ❯ The Highers ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note: All of the story line, plots, characters and ideas are mine. I will not tolerate any stealing, copying, or any of that crap, ok? Good.

Chapter 1: The Highers

Dark, black clouds churned and broiled in the near distance, foreshadowing a storm that near evening. The sun was already setting, glazing the sky with a blood red coat, disappearing with the nearing storm clouds. Many of the people who vaguely survived in this world ran to cover in their "homes" and any other places that could be used as shelter. This particular storm looked like it had a high acidity rate. That meant Acid Rain. And the Acid Rain of this time could burn flesh and cause disease. Many people had been wiped out from Acid Rain. No one wanted to contribute to that growing number.

But there were other, more serious problems taking place within the ruins what had once been a great city in what had once been the country of the United States of America. A young woman was backing up into what remained of a wall-which crumbled when she touched it-as her eyes welled up with overflowing tears of fear. A band of muggers surrounded her, smiling maliciously and looking at her in her a way no man should.

"Oh we are going to have fun with you, Missy…" The obvious boss snickered in a gruff voice, smiling broadly. He ran his tongue along the length of his teeth. The woman sobbed even harder at the disgusting act.

"Please… just go away… I'll give you my food capsules… I'll give you my potions! But please, just go away!" The woman pleased in a shrill voice.

"Oh we'll take more than that…" A blonde man said viciously, taking a step forward, eyeing the woman in a horrible way. The woman shrieked and swung her purse wildly, hitting the man in the jaw. The man was more shocked by her frantic movements and the fact she even had a purse than by the small pain that emerged from his face. The other four men growled and advanced, taking revenge for the fruitless attack from the woman. She screeched again and tried to pull away from their grasps, backing farther into the brittle wall behind her.

"Give it up, Lady! You have no chance to escape!" A mugger chuckled harshly, ducking another feeble purse-attack from the right while grabbing and squeezing her left wrist hard. The woman screamed in despair.

"IS THAT SO?!" A young, but bold voice called out. The muggers looked up from their activities to see a young boy standing on a level part of a wall opposite them, a cloak billowing out behind the boy from the wind. His feet were planted firmly on the ground of the wall, spaced out equal to his shoulders, while his hands were planted on his hips. Lights glowed from both his eyes; the only visible detail of his silhouette. The muggers blinked as they looked up at him.

"How very cliché of you boy…" The mugger boss growled, smiling while licking his tongue along his blade. "I hate clichés. GET HIM!!!"

The boy smiled. His plan had worked to get the muggers' attention.

"RUN LADY RUN!!!" The boy shouted at the woman. She gave the boy a look of horror and bolted away shrieking.

"Hey!" The blonde mugger yelled, starting after the woman.

"Oh no you don't!" The boy screamed, jumping up into the air, with his cloak flowing behind him, and suddenly disappeared into thin air. The boy reappeared in front of the blonde man a few paces down the street remains and while still being in mid-air, kicked the man across the face with a hard boot, knocking him out. The boy landed and stood facing the men.

"Hey! He knocked out Buzz!" One chubby man shouted.

"Let's get `em!" Another shouted.

"ATTACK!!!" The boss screamed, pointing at the boy. The four muggers lunged at the boy in unison, but the boy kicked the first one in the stomach, knocking him into another man. He punched another mugger in the face, but was smashed in the head from behind. He fell to the ground, but spun his leg around and knocked the man who hit him to the earth. The first mugger the boy hit grabbed the kid's left arm and flung him over his head into the ruined wall behind them, making it crumble to pieces on his body. Chunks of rocks fell over him, a few cutting his face and arms.

The muggers laughed as they got up. The boy looked at the man who had thrown him. A large gash was above the boy's right eye, and a cut was on his lip and cheek. The boy stared at the mugger, especially his eyes. The man's grey eyes were dead in his head. No soul or heart was behind them; no light or life glowing from the depths of the humanity within him. The boy was angered by the heartlessness of these people, especially in these horrid times. He lunged-kicking off of the ground with his feet, flipping in mid-air so he was now feet-first-at the dead-eyed mugger and the heel of his boot smashed into the guy's face, rattling his brain and pounding him into unconsciousness.

The boy landed and was instantly captured into a double-arm lock. The mugger squeezed his arms together and the boy felt as though his chest would be ripped apart. The boy smashed his boot on the man's toes and was released. But one of the mugger's partners grabbed one f his arms.

"Grab his other arm!" He shouted to the mugger with the throbbing toes. The guy did as he was told. Now the boy was unable to get free, knowing that he wouldn't be able to use the foot-stomping technique again.

The boss of the gang walked up to the boy and punched him across the face, and then in the stomach. The wind was knocked out of the boy, but he swung his leg up and kicked the boss in the jaw. The boy then spun to kick the man holding him on the left in the chest. He then used both arms to fling the other guy holding him over his head into the man he just kicked, knocking them both out.

The boss jumped out behind the boy, spun him around and smacked him across the jaw. Stars winked in and out of the boy's vision as he battled with the last mugger one-on-one. Throwing random punches and kicks at each other, they battled it out for a few more minutes until the mugger connected a chain of punches and knocked the boy to the ground, but the boy back flipped away easily. He then did a series of spins in mid-air much like those of an acrobat and started front flipping back to the boss. He did a final front flip, doing so with pushing off the ground with his hands extremely hard, and flew to the boss's shocked face. Blood squirted from the man's nose and mouth as he was pushed back and tripped over a piece of rubble. The boss was knocked out as he hit his head on a sharp rock. The boy panted, looking around the array of unconscious muggers in triumph.

There was a good chance these men had food capsules, or potions. Food capsules were small, pill-like cylinders, that, when broken open, can produce a certain amount of food. They can be used up to 3 times, and then dissipate. The capsules were invented by scientists before Doom's Day had come. The capsules were still being made by scientists who were descendants of those who survived and were educated in certain fields of their ancestors. These new scientists had built buildings spread out across the world where they would isolate themselves with the government and military from the "feeble public." They did continue to produce food capsules, but only just enough. It was all par t of their plan, so the rumors say. They also say that this group of people who believe themselves to be better then everyone else was a power-hungry group who had been the ones to destroy the world long ago. Supposedly, they the same type of group had met before Doom's Day arrived, and planned to destroy the Earth-but not themselves-and to take it over as soon as the people "needed" them the most so they would be able to control the world. But the plan backfired, because they had destroyed themselves along with the world; their technology had not survived. The group had called themselves "The Highers," for they believed themselves to be better and a higher class than everyone else.

But unknown to the public, the descendants of the originators of The Highers had reunited and were planning on going through with the dream their ancestors had started before them long ago.

~Chapter 1 End~