Fan Fiction ❯ Destroyed By Doom's Day ❯ Two Halves: One Mark ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: I'd had some readers ask me about pronunciations of names, so I just want to help everyone out by spelling them out the way you would read them. I'll post any new, hard pronunciations at the beginning of every chapter. Thanks to all the reviewers out there! I'm glad you enjoy my story!

Martakenza Sutherburg: Mart-uh-ken-zuh Suh-therr-berg

Lethra Sutherburg: Leth-ruh Suh-therr-berg

Rasinarr Sutherburg: Ray-zin-are Suh-therr-berg

Cornaroy: Corn-uh-roy

Chapter 3: Two Halves: One Mark

Lethra's internal instinct had been beating against her body all night, and it had finally had enough power to wake her up. Its attempts were rewarded. Once Lethra's brain had returned from sub consciousness, her ears began to ring from the waves that passed into them. They throbbed in sync with her pulse and the scream, and she snapped her eyes open at once at the piercing sound. The sound was unceasing; you couldn't even tell when the source of the screaming would take another breath.

Lethra tore off her sheet she used to keep warm, and the greeting cold bit into her warm flesh, but her motherly instincts overpowered her displeasure. She ran like lightning into the main room where the MFL was in a low burn. The screaming had become louder, and as soon as Lethra stepped closer to the crumpled figure quaking on the floor, a warm, yet, bone-chilling liquid met her unclothed feet. She stepped back from the unnerving texture of the fluid and stared at its dark color. It was a dark crimson, yet it was too watery to actually be blood. Lethra looked up to see a broken glass cup by the figures left shoulder, so she took a breath and stepped into the water-blood and it froze her toes, yet still had that warmth of life. She crouched next the still screaming figure and laid a soft hand upon its back and began to tenderly rub up and down upon it.

The screaming resided instantly. And in its place was a quiet whimpering.

"Kenza, dear, are you alright? Did you cut yourself getting a glass of water? Here, give me your hand." Lethra cooed softly, grasping one of her son's large wrists and peeling it away from his chest.

She gasped.

Not only was his hand covered in blood, but so was his entire arms and torso as he rolled over onto his back. His other bloodied arm was clawing at his chest, exactly over his heart, where his shirt had been torn, with an unceasing river of blood flowing from it. Kenza could barely manage to open his eyes to a slit to gaze at his mother's face.

"Oh my god, Kenza, is it your mark?!" Lethra cried out, afraid of her son's blood loss. Almost as if it heard her words, his mark began to pulsate underneath the dark river above it. Lethra's eyes widened. Whenever a mark began to pulsate, it meant that it had a build-up of power. What kind of power? No one really knew, but over time, a power within the mark would build up, and need to be released. It was extremely painful to release that power, but if it was contained ultimately, would cause the mark to bleed and cause utmost pain until it was released. The showing of the released was a spectacular show of electromagnetic waves upon different levels of frequency. The highest amounts of power were shown in the blues and purples and violets, unless the amount of power was deadly. Releasing the power within the mark could injure and even destroy the beholder or anyone around it. That level of power was displayed as a dark violet, then turning to deepest black, landing at last in a blinding, yet precious white. It was quite a way to die, even if it was incredibly sorrowful.

Lethra unceremoniously pulled Kenza to his feet and shoved him down the hall to the outside door. She flung it open, having Kenza lean against her in his lack of strength and in befuddlement. She pushed against her whimpering son as he tripped out into the night of their `backyard.' All that consisted of it was a lot of uncontrolled grass with walls upon three sides, with a cracked basin used as a `fountain' in the upper left corner. The last side-to the right-was just a cut-off from the forest that lead into the great beyond. No one has gone through that forest in years. Everyone was afraid of it, but that was alright, since no one would come bother you if you wanted to be alone. And tonight would be one of those nights. For once Kenza was pushed out into the cold air, he was already half unconscious, though he still kept control over his mark from releasing, and he just fell into the wet grass, from the storm that had finally passed. He laid there panting, his eyes half lidded.

"My god Kenza just let it out! It will pass soon enough! Stop resisting and do it!" Lethra screamed her son, whom still just panted there, doing nothing.

"B-but… I might… hurt… someone…" Kenza hoarsely coughed.

"Kenza! Stop being an ass! There is no one out here to hurt! Now let that damn power out before you kill yourself for my sake darling!" Lethra cried out at her son, tears streaming down her face. That was most like her son. And Rasinarr. Always thinking about others before themselves. A pity them seemed to have gotten too much of that trait from the gene pool.

"Ok…. Mom… close… door…" Kenza coughed again, falling deeper into unconsciousness and losing control of the raging power within in his chest, pounding and clawing and scratching to get out. Lethra's eyes widened as she knew that if he didn't listen to her son that she could possibly be caught in the blast and get injured or die. Kenza didn't need that. Ever.

She ducked behind the door and slammed it closed. The woman ran into her room, crouched in a little ball behind a heavy trunk in which she kept her closest possessions. Lethra began to cry. This was as painful for her as it was for Kenza. It was heart-tearing to watch her son go through this and not be able to do anything about it. And the problem was that Kenza's D-Gift (which was one of undetermined psychic abilities) seemed to heighten his surges of power through his mark. That seemed to be the D-Curse that came with his gift.

Kenza, on the other hand, had completely lost consciousness, and with that, lost control of containing his mark. The power flipped him over onto his back, as he began to shake uncontrollably, as though he were having a seizure. Light yellow light filtered through his eyes and mouth, and he opened his mouth wide into a silent scream. The river of blood had stopped, and now his mark glowed a brilliant red and blue. The color seeped from the mark around to his whole body, while all designs somehow relating to the mark began to creep their way across his body, singing off his clothes and converting them into pure energy, which helped the glowing of the mark work faster.

A sudden wind picked up from nowhere, and twirled around the boy in a fast fury. His hair was blown up, as his body was lifted off of the ground in a gold aura. He straightened, and the energy within him knocked him back from unconsciousness, but he still had no control whatsoever was happening to his body. Red light shone through his eyes and mouth, as he tried to clench his teeth closed, from the terrible pain surrounding his body. The power forced it open again, as it did with forcing his body spread-eagled in the air. The red aura around his grew in size, and Kenza knew the worst part was about to come. His head was snapped back, his face staring upward at the sky. The red covering his body brightened, as did his mark; the entire thing turning a deep crimson red. The pain from the mark subsided for a moment, and Kenza tried tensing himself for the utmost pain that was about to consume him.

A minute passed.

A sudden blast of light erupted from Kenza's mark, causing him to scream out in a deathly pain, the eruption blasting the power upwards into the sky. He couldn't ever remember feeling this much in pain.

He wanted to die.

Suddenly, he saw off in the distance, a column of power, exactly like his, except it was a deep dark blue, seemingly answering his call of power. He saw the two columns of light slowly bend towards each other, and connect. He was afraid. This had never happened to before. The pain had reached an unbearable level, and Kenza was silently screaming to his mark to kill him. Dying would be much better than enduring this type of ache. The connected arch suddenly began to emit waves of light and emotion. How it emitted waves of emotion, Kenza couldn't tell, but when the waves hit him, he felt an odd feeling in his heart. He couldn't describe it, but it gave him hope that he would make it through this. You could even say it gave him strength to bear against the pain. He felt the warmth in his heart relax him against the horrible hurt, but he fell into a sort of cocoon of this feeling, a safe haven, knowing that everything would be alright.

At once after he fell into that envelopment, the blue of the column began to grow along the red of his column, inching its way in a gentle speed. It attained out to him, and he watched in fear as it seemed to gently reach out to his chest, where his mark was still glowing angrily. He felt a soft cold where it caressed his skin, but the cold was comforting from the hurting heat that was building within him. It attached itself to his chest and he felt a sucking sensation from his mark. He looked down to see that the blue of his mark slowly melted out of his body, being covered instead, in the same red as his column was.

The blue slowly began to reside, and the red began to take over the column. It reached over and began to reach over to the other side of the arch, to wherever the blue had come from. It stayed for a second, and a suddenly power was felt from Kenza's mark. He somehow sensed that he felt… more whole… somehow. The red began to fall back into its proper place of making up half the arch, as the blue became visible again. Once they were in their original positions, a sudden blast of power erupted from the very top of the arch, cracking into the sky like lightning, turning the sky into a light silver color as the crescent moon instigated to glow and set light to the night. A soft purple snow, sparkling with radiance started to fall lightly to the earth, covering all in that warm feeling Kenza had felt before.

Lethra had been watching from her window, and she was amazed at what was happening. She stepped out into the brightened night, and was astounded that the grass had become dry and… warm. The sparkling snow hit her and she felt that heat grow in her heart. At once she knew what this feeling was.

It was love.

And she smiled, but began to cry as she watched her son slowly be lowered to the ground, an expression of disbelief upon his face as he saw the arch split at the center and the red fall back to him, as the blue fell back to wherever it came from. For some reason, he felt as though a part of him had left, and it he wanted it to come back to him. His sleepwear returned to his body as he felt his feet touch the warm ground, sparkling with a light layer of that warm purple snow.

"Wha-what just happened?" Kenza whispered in a barely audible voice. Lethra suddenly knew what had happened. Rasinarr had told her about this when they had met an old hag right after Kenza was born. He old woman had prophesized that Kenza's mark was different from others. She had told the new parents that Kenza's mark was only half of the original mark. The other half was out in the world somewhere, waiting to be reunited with its other half. If the other half were close enough when either needed to be released, that it would create the arch and display of light shown just now. The feeling that was how the two halves would meet would fall down in the right form-which had ended up being warm snow-and be shared with everyone in that area. The hag had also blinked her one eye and stared into the eyes of both Lethra and Rasinarr, and coughed with a toothy smiled that the two halves of this certain mark would play with fate and change destiny of the earth. At first, Lethra was afraid of having her son take such a role with the world, but as she watched him grow, she knew that the fates had chosen the right person for the job. She felt a swelling of pride for her son develop in her mind. Kenza fell to his knees and looked up at his mother in a questioning stare, breaking her out of her memory.

"It was your other half, son." She whispered, looking up into the sky. She thought about the feeling her son would meet his other half. It had been love. Kenza would meet his other half through love. She didn't know what type of love he would have through this ordeal, for there were many types of love. She had a found a book that had survived through Doom's Day and it had told her of these certain types of love. Saying it was developed by the "Greeks," whoever they were, it had listed about 4 different types. She couldn't remember them at the moment… but the word `eros' fell into her head, telling her that was the love most people thought of when they heard the word. Eros, meaning `romantic love' was what most people believed they lived through when in love.

"My… other half?" Kenza asked, confused. What was his mother talking about? Lethra cursed herself inwardly for letting it slip, for the hag told her not to tell him. She looked down at him, knowing she had to tell him now.

"Here, come inside Darling, and I will tell you." Lethra spoke, helping her confused son up off of the dry, still sparkling grass. She helped him back to his room and pulled his sheet up over him after he crawled into bed. He looked up at her in excitement.

"Your mark, Kenza, is only half of what its true form should be. The power was diverted somehow where you were born, and was given to another being. You and the other being were in a close enough area when you released your mark power, and so the arch and connection was made." Lethra explained, though refusing to reveal everything she knew.

"So, that blue was coming from my other half?" Kenza asked, eyes wide. Lethra nodded. "So we should go find him!" He cried, sitting up.

"No." Lethra sighed, shaking her head back and forth. "You are meant to meet in the way you felt when you connected with that other being." Lethra told. "So you cannot just go looking for them."

"Oh…but… what was that feeling?" Kenza looked up at his mom in confusion.

"Love."

"…"

Kenza dropped into silence as his mother began to sing once again. He felt his eyes droop from the soothing song and he realized he was very tired from the ordeal. He would probably be sleeping from 2 days from this, but that was ok, for the sleep was dreamless, and he didn't want to think about it. He had received an eerie feeling from it.

His eyes closed and he fell into a soft slumber. Lethra stood up and walked into the main room where the broken glass was. The water-blood had disappeared. Lethra knew that it had turned into pure energy for Kenza's mark. She carefully picked up the glass with a cloth and swept the area clean from reassurance. She turned off the MFL and walked back to the back door and outside. The sparkling purple snow was beginning to fade, and as she picked up a handful of the sparkles, she felt another emotion in her heart other than love. She couldn't quite get the hold on what emotion it was until she was back in her bed and laid the sparkling snow on Rasinarr's side of the bed for some internal reason unknown to her. And suddenly it came to her as she left her hand rest in the mass of purple sparkles upon Rasinarr's pillow.

It was hope.