Fan Fiction ❯ Earth Saviour Pegasus - Call to Service ❯ Talent Spotting ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

EARTH SAVIOUR PEGASUS

Call to Service

Episode 1: Talent Spotting

Three years have passed since the events leading to the destruction of Neotropolis. The students involved have since graduated from the Ferel Plains Mech Academy and are now productive members of society. Too bad society is in complete turmoil. Facing a crisis that will end the world and a possible war sparking between Earth and Mars, it would seem that this is an incredibly depressing time to live in. I think it's time to begin, don't you?

(Cue theme music, something along the lines of 'You Get to Burning')

High above the streets of Lithium City loomed the dark, menacing tower, headquarters of 'Zeus Enterprises'. Tall and silver, the building left other companies cowering beneath it. A shady looking place which housed all manner of sneaky dealings and international cover-ups. Although none of which were ever proven, the rumours still remained. Every citizen in Lithium had their own story to tell regarding the happenings behind the closed doors of 'Zeus Enterprises'. The city itself was newly crowned the largest in the world after the tragedy of Neotropolis three years ago. Dank and heavily industrious, Lithium was ugly compared to the former beauty that was the city of Neotropolis.

The smoke rose from the tray like a serpent, snaking up into the air to form a part of the expanding fog hovering over the grand oak table. The thick, black curtains were drawn tight rendering any light from the windows at the far end of the room useless. Two expensive looking lamps, placed at opposite ends of the table were the only light emitting objects in the deadly silent Boardroom. Several suits were sat facing eachother, each baring a sombre expression on their aging faces. The tension was unberable. Finally someone spoke.

"Are we sure that this is our only choice? Are there any alternatives, Mr. Whipstaff?" President Conners said looking through the folder of diagrams and assorted information before him.

"Yes sir, this would seem like our only hope, Earth's only hope sir." The sickly looking Whipstaff answered, pushing his black framed glasses up with one finger.

"And the chance of success?" The President asked, turing his back on the table, his hands held behind him. The President was quite a short man but rather large in circumferance compared to the other officials on the board. He still looked quite youthful for his sixty-three years of life but recent events were beginning to take their toll around his eyes and age was beginning to catch up with him.

"It's still only 6% sir." Whipstaff answered gloomily, looking down at the overflowing ashtray in the table's centre.

"So we're expected to send a group of inexperienced individuals off into space in a space craft that has yet to be tested in actual combat in hopes of finding a rare substance who's exact location is still unknown with only a 6% chance of success?"

"Yes, that is correct sir." Whipstaff smiled unenthusiastically.

The President sighed deeply and drifted off into thought, his back still turned away from the remaining officials.

Mr. Carlton Whipstaff, while only fourty-six years old held a great deal of experience beneath his belt in both politics and mechanics. In his youth, the thin, black-haired man posed as a formidible presence in government affairs but as he grew older, Whipstaff's attention became drawn more towards his scientific endevours. After capturing the position of president at the 'Omni-Glide' corporation, Whipstaff soon began a project to create two of Earth's greatest vessels. These were the Pegasus and the Griffin. Not long after their completion, 'Omni-Glide' merged with 'Zeus Enterpises' and the Pegasus and Griffin were intergrated into the 'Zeus' military forces. This was three years ago, shortly before the events of Neotropolis and neither the Pegasus nor the Griffin have been used in actual missions, only test flights. The successful creation of these new ships brought unwanted hostility from several jealous rival companies. The most serious of competition lied in the hands of 'RA Industries', the very same company who's involvement in the creation of the infamous 'Black Mechs' three years ago left the world in its current apocalyptic situation. They attepted to create their own advanced space-vessel after the discoverery of Substance 103A. They attempted to make amends, but their Anubis model failed to meet the final deadline so the leaders of Earth decided to go ahead with the usage of 'Zeus'es' Pegasus even though they promised 'RA' a futher six months to complete their project. It seemed that Earth no longer trusted 'RA' and this left them feeling once again extremely bitter towards 'Zeus'. The Anubis was still in production and not long off being finished. Should they complete their vessel in the next few months, 'Zeus' may have a 'space-race' on their hands. Either way, as long as Substance 103A is retrieved to neutralise the effects of Evanite 56 then it didn't matter who got there first.

President Conners sighed again then turned towards the tall man in a white labcoat sat on the left-hand side of the table.

"This Substance 103A, are you sure that it really does what you say, Dr. Maxwell?"

"Exactly what it says on the tin. It neutralises Evanite 56's toxins making the air as sweet and fresh as the day God created it." The man said with a cheesy grin across his face. It occured to the President that Dr. Maxwell wasn't like most scientists. Sometimes he seemed too happy and optimistic for his own good.

"And the location of the Substance?" The President enquired.

"By some miracle of God the substace was discovered on a comet passing through our solar system. Our scanners last tracked it moving just beyond the 34.95FG coordinates. The nearest civilisation to the comet is the B33 colony. It's advised that the Pegasus stops to refuel there because it's one Hell of a trek from there on. The ship's scanners should give a better idea where the comet is heading once it reaches B33." Maxwell informed handing another sheet of information towards the President. Conners scanned the page and sat back down in his seat. His attention drifted towards the crew information.

"Captain Michelle Misaru. Misaru? Why does that name sound familiar? Is she related to the Famous Admiral Jacob Misaru? The same Admiral Misaru who won the famous battle against the Martian fleet in 2177?

"Yes sir, the one and the same. We tried to coax Admiral Misaru to join the Pegasus crew but he firmly refused and wants to stay in retirement. His daughter will be acting as the ship's captain." The firmly built Steven Brooks announced. Fourty-four year old Brooks was the chief of 'Zeus Enterprises' human resources department. His job was to scout for possible crew members and to recruit them through whatever means legally possible.

"She seems awfully young to be a captain, twenty-one years old it says here. Attractive young lady though." The President smiled.

"The Pegasus is composed of all the latest advancements in technology, these youths have grown up using this new technology which makes them more capable than any mature officers we have at our

current disposal. Also she scored better in the simulations than most of our existing Captains." Brooks added, leaning over and taking a quick glance at the young captain's photo. The President snapped back to his senses and scanned over the remaining crew information.

"I see you've included two pilots from the Neotropolis incident. Their experience should prove useful on this mission. The rest of the crew seem to be comprised from members of small military organisations and regular civilians. Is this wise Mr. Brooks?"

"Certainly Sir. The sheer importance of this mission's success means that were need to recruit the very best, military or not. The Earth is at risk so I doubt it matters what service background each crew member has." Brooks stopped and stubbed his cigerette out in the centre ashtray. He continued.

"We have also recruited Admiral John Hastings, a close friend of your's I believe Mr.President. He will be watching over the crew with sharp eyes. Mistakes will not be tolerated. Everything should be fine."

The President arched his hands beneath his chin before turning to face Whipstaff again.

"Is the Pegasus likely to encounter any resistance along the way?" President Conners enquired.

"Unfortunately yes. 'RA' still has its grudge towards us and will undoubtedly try to hinder the Pegasus to give themselves extra time to complete their Anubis. They may even attempt to destroy the Pegasus completely. They are desparate to retrieve Substance 103A in order to clear their tarnished name. Also there are several Martian extremists who may want to sabotage the mission. They still wish to be completely free from Earth. What better way to do it than to let every Earth civilian die of poisoning." Whipstaff's face once again showed deep concern.

"But the mech pilots should provide sufficient protection against these foes correct?"

Whipstaff nodded his head. A moment of silence decended on the room for a few moments.

The President once again sighed deeply, he wasn't happy with the arrangements but there was no other alternative. He rose to his feet and smiled falsely.

"Mr. Brooks, assemble the crew. Mr. Whipstaff, ready the Pegasus. The ship will set off in four weeks. I want everything to be ready by then. This meeting is over." He said. Instantly everyone began to leave the table. The President walked to the doorway, turned back to face the men as they were collecting their documents and spoke.

"Gentlemen, lets go save the world!"

And so four weeks passed. The crew began to arrive and the Pegasus was readied for its long perilous journey. Filled with antisipation and excitement the crew were welcomed aboard the ship with a goodluck party filled with music, dancing, food and drink surrounded by the beautiful decor of the ship's cafeteria. Strictly formal clothes of course.

Red, yellow, blue and green. Little paper chains hung from the ceiling accompanied by brightly coloured ballons bunched together in threes decorated the dining room. Tables and chairs were cleared out of the way and stacked against the far wall to make room for the dancefloor and a small stage had be errected in the corner where the live band were playing a mixture of modern music mixed with a selection of old classical music from the 20th and 21st century. The lights were dimmed just to give the room that little extra something. A punch bowl and a selection of different beers and wines were borrowed from the ship's bar and a particularly large buffet table was organised. It was perfect for a farewell party.

The dancefloor was beginning to fill up with the new crew members enjoying themselves. Everyone was dressed in their Sunday best and looking particularly fetching in their tuxedos and ball gowns. Everyone was happy and having a good time enjoying eachother's company, everyone except one solitary young woman standing alone at the edge of the room leaning against the wall, a glass of white wine clasped between her gentle fingers. Her shimmering cream coloured dress clung to her slender, elegant body, her long purple hair flowed to her waist with perfection. Her full green eyes sparkled like gems in the light. It was surprising that a woman of such calibur was left unattended and alone, simply watching everyone else. But beyond her beauty rested a heavy burden, a huge weight of resposibility rested on her shoulders. Every single soul on this very ship relied upon her actions, her orders. She was their Captain.

"Is everything ok Captain Misaru?" The tall bearded man asked as he approached her. Compared to the rest of the crew, this man looked alot older. Infact he was most likely to be at least four decades their senior. But depite his age he still had a full head of thick blond hair and a full blond beard to boot, although several patches of grey were beginning to show, he was still looking well for his age. He too had the burden of responsibility on his shoulders.

"Oh please just call me Michelle, Admiral. I don't want to be known just for my title, I want to be everyones friend too." Captain Michelle Misaru smiled sweetly. The Admiral smiled back.

"And fine friend you'd make too. Why don't you go enjoy yourself? We're not setting off for a few days yet. Go, have a good time." Admiral Hastings comforted, patting Michelle softly on the shoulder. She smiled again.

"I just want to stand here and watch for a while."

"Suit yourself, my dear. Remember, you are allowed to have fun you know. If you don't mind I'm going to go spend time with my wife over there. Who knows when I'll see her next. See you later, my dear." The Admiral waved as he crossed the room to join another crowd of people, presumably his family. Michelle took a sip from her glass and screwed her face up in disgust.

"This wine is awful! What did they put in it? Cat pee?" She groaned, wiping her tongue with a paper napkin, trying to remove the taste of feline urine from her mouth. She quickly scanned the room to see if anyone was watching her. Once she was satisfied that she was going unmonitored she crept over to a nearby table and poured the contents of her glass into an unattended handbag. She made a fast escape to the opposite side of the room just to cover her tracks.

"I hope no one saw that." She muttered to herself. "Now then, back to business." She began to scan the room, partly to make sure everyone was behaving themselves, partly to check if there were any cute guys around. That's when she noticed it. Everyone had begun to pair up but her. People were gathered with their loved ones, others had attatched to their fellow crew members and were dancing to the increasingly depressing number of slow songs being played by the band. She was alone, she didn't usually mind, she had gotten used to it by now. But for some reason tonight wasn't like it usually was, this time her loneliness was starting to get to her. This mission wasn't just her break as a captain, to Michelle it was a fresh start, a time for things to be different. She didn't want to be alone anymore, she wanted to be in someone's arms, even just for a moment. But her new start was turning out to be another disappointment. A small tear began to well up in her eye as the music began to play a slow, meaningful song. The type of song that should accompany a pair of star-crossed lovers as they danced lovingly in eachother's warm embrace.

"I should've known better." She sighed. "It always ends up this way."

That's when she felt it, a small tapping on her shoulder. She looked up and instantly stared right into his heavenly deep blue eyes. His soft brown hair shining in the light, his voice full of kindness and feeling.

"May I have this dance?" He asked, taking Michelle's hand. She stood completly mesmarised for a moment, lost in his soulful eyes. To her, he was an angel.

"M...me?" She stammered, pointing to herself. She looked around her just to be certain that he was talking to her and her alone. "Of...of course."

He lead her gently by the hand into the centre of the room and took her in his arms. They both began to majestically dance around the floor. Michelle rested her head against his shoulder, she could hear his heart beating beneath his shirt. As they danced, time seemed to slow until it had almost completely stopped altogether. The floor began to clear until they were the only ones left. They lights were fixed on them alone. Everyone stopped and watched in awe as Michelle and the man romantically moved about the floor. Michelle closed her eyes, her prince had come for her. He had come to save her from the darkness of the tower prison that held her. She was happy, this was her fairytale, her happily ever after. She wished it could have lasted for eternity but soon the music began to fade out until it finally came to an end. She opened her eyes and stared again into his. The spectators clapped and cheered, overwhelmed with the connection the two had made. He looked back into her emeralde green eyes and whispered softly.

"Thankyou." He turned and began to head away from the party.

"Wait! You didn't tell me your name! Stop! I want to see you again! Who are you?" Michelle called hastilly, but he had disappeared through the crowd and out of the doors. She was alone once again, standing by herself in the middle of the dancefloor. People began to resume dancing and enjoying themselves, but still she stood thinking to herself.

"Who is he?" She sighed.

And so the party is underway. It would seem that our Captain has found her new love interest to ponder over during those long sleepless nights. But who is this mysterious stranger and what significance does he have to the plot...if there is one. Find out in the next episode of Earth Saviour Pegasus: 'Into the Wee Small Hours'. Oh and there will be some fiesty new additions to the cast too.

(Cue ending theme, something similar to 'Being Myself')