Fan Fiction ❯ Endless Power ❯ Psychic Training ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5

Psychic Training

Neo and Agatha sat side to side, both deep in concentration.

"Focus your mind," said Lisa, their instructor. "Focus your mind on the objects in front of you."

Neo tried to bring his mind to the pen in front of him. It seemed useless. Then suddenly, he felt a tickling sensation followed by a brief image of the pen in midair. Accidentally opening his eyes in excitement, he lost control again and the pen fell onto the ground with a dull thud.

"You must concentrate Neo!" exclaimed Lisa.

"I'm sorry, I'll try again," said Neo hastily, "Just got a bit excited, that's all."

"No, I'm sure that's quite enough for you two. Both of you deserve a nice rest. Time is not critical at this point. At least not yet," replied Lisa.

Neo looked at Lisa. She was very old. He estimated her to be at least 70. However, she was also the wisest person he knew within the boundaries of the camp. Only yesterday, Lisa had sat down patiently with him and Agatha and introduced herself as their new instructor in the psychic arts. She had become interested with the arts herself when she was 35. For the next half of her life, she taught herself many psychic abilities, though she had not been born a psychic. Progress was extremely slow, but Lisa didn't give up. When she reached her prime around her 60's, she had accepted an offer at the training facility in Sector 3 to be a psychic instructor. And that's how it was, she had explained. Though she had trained for the better part of her lifetime, she had told them that they would pick up the skills a lot faster than she had.

"I can only show you the door," she had said, "but you have to walk through it."

So there he was, looking her in the eye and recalling the words she had said yesterday, though it seemed like it a decade ago. Neo looked away quickly. Then he got up slowly and exited the room. Agatha was waiting for him in the corridor.

"You're very confused," she said suddenly.

"Huh?" gasped Neo, noticing how her brilliant blue eyes had suddenly gone white. "How much of my mind can you read?"

"Quite a lot," she stumbled embarrassingly. "I'm sorry Neo, if I'm bothering you or anything…"

"No, I'm quite alright with it," said Neo quickly, cutting her off.

"It's just hard being around with another psychic. I really can't describe the feeling, but you just feel like that they're looking at your mind without you realizing it," explained Agatha.

Neo nodded. She was quite right of course, but the victim here was him. HE was the one that was defenseless. HIS mind was the one that was being looked at.

"I'm going to bed," Neo said suddenly.

"What?" objected Agatha, a little shocked at this.

"I'm going to bed," Neo repeated, this time with more force.

"But it's not even three yet!" complained Agatha.

"I'm tired," Neo insisted as he shot off towards the dorms.

"What I really need," he thought, "is some thinking time."

"Why am I here?" he asked himself out loud, as he mindlessly tossed the rubber ball into the air and caught it again. "Is this why I was made? Is this my destiny? To save the human world?"

He lay there for a long time, thinking things over. Then he made his decision. Neo hopped down from the bunk and tossed the ball into the air as he made for the door. His hands paused on knob. Behind him, the ball hovered in the air. Then he left and closed the door behind him as the ball fell to the ground with a dull thud.