Fan Fiction ❯ Fate of the Fires ❯ The End and the Beginning ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fate of the Fires

Lady Mars

Prologue: The End and the Beginning

Disclaimer: I don't own the Lord of the Rings characters, I just like to screw with them.

* * *

The cloaked man stood looking across the barren area that was once the great Elvin town of Mirkwood. His face was drawn and warn from journeys of days past. He sighed, gazing at the lumbering canine at his side. The white wolf served as a reminder of his constant naiveté of his life up to this point. The hound was kicking up the ashous dirt around him. He seemed intent on finding whatever it was he was looking for, even if that meant burring his master in the process. The man turned back to the town, or what was left of it. If he hadn't been off doing what his heart desired him to do, this horrid situation might have been prevented. He ran his callused fingers over the small blue stone he held. 'Or you could have been here and ended up living the same fate as them.' The man continued to watch the fires die down. The beast at his side had stopped digging and sat wagging his tail joyfully at his master. The man stooped down, shifting his deep green cloak out of the way, to meet the beast face to face. He scratched the soft white fur of the dog's face, trying to clam his warring emotions. He gently ran his fingers over the flame tipped ears as he stared into the beast's green eyes. He stopped his proceedings and rose, taking one final look at the remnants of the city. He slowly mounted his faithful horse, slowly becoming aware of the approaching strangers. He whistled for his dog who made no move to advance from his spot.

"Devil," the man hissed; the hound didn't move. "Devil!" Still no motion. "DEVIL!" The dog turned its head and realized that his master wanted to leave. He arose and trotted up next to the horse. The man urged his horse foreword and the pair went along their way through the forest. The man didn't notice, but the dog was carrying a small flame shaped pendant and chain in its mouth. The pendant glittered in the late day sun, casting a red orange shadow on the dog's white fur. The pair trotted along, not noticing anything as they went. When they reached the outer edge of the forest, they passed a small group of elves. The collection passed without a word, assuming he was a ranger who knew nothing of the occurring events. 'River elves?' he thought. 'Elrond must have sent them to clean up. Poor fools.' The pair continued on. 'I can't believe I let something like this happen. But it shant happen again; not if I can do anything about it.' He gave his horse a quick nudge and tore off into the night, faithful companion running at his side.

* * *