Fan Fiction ❯ Fate of the Fires ❯ The Fellowship Reforms ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Fate of the Fires

Lady Mars

Part I: The Fellowship Reforms

Disclaimer: I don't own LotR; never have, never will. So don't sue me over it.

* * *

Aragorn pushed his horse as hard as it would go through the streets of Rivendell.

'I wonder what Elrond wants to see me for,' he thought. He wouldn't have sent an urgent message if it hadn't been an emergency. But what could be so dire that he needs to see me this quickly?' He slowed the horse down as he arrived at the place grounds. He dismounted, leaving his steed in the care of one of the servants, and headed into the palace with a sense of urgency in his step. He prowled through the halls of the grand place, searching for the elven lord who had sent for him.

"Ah, Aragorn," a voice called. Aragorn spun around to see Gandalf approaching. He halted as the wizard approached.

"So I was not the only one summoned?" he questioned, growing more confused.

"No," the old wizard replied, leading Aragorn into Elrond's library. "The lord has summoned the fellowship back here." Around the vast table sat Elrond, Frodo to his left, Sam to his right, Merry to Frodo's right, Pippin to Sam's left, and Gimili next to Pippin. Aragorn sat next to the dwarf and Gandalf sat next to Merry.

"I am glad to see all of you arrived safely," Elrond stated. "There is much afoul in this land and it must be settled. There is much we must discuss."

"But shouldn't we wait for Legolas?" Frodo asked.

"He is a part of the goings on," Elrond replied. The fellowship members exchanged confused glances. 'What has happened to our archer friend?' Aragorn thought. "Ever since the destruction of the ring, the orcs have been terrorizing elven towns and angering majority of their dwellers. They most recently burnt down the town of Mirkwood." The others looked shocked.

"But didn't Legolas say that was where he was…" Sam mumbled.

"Yes. But his death has neither been confirmed nor denied." The others exchanged glances again.

"Confirmed nor denied?" Gimli bellowed. "What do you mean by this?" Elrond sighed, choosing his words slowly.

"No one has seen the prince's body, nor have they seen the prince himself," he replied cautiously. "The clean up crew I sent confirms seeing someone lurking among the rubble, but they know not who it is." He silenced as the others took in the grievous news.

"Do you think it could be him?" Aragorn asked, breaking the tense silence.

"It could be," Elrond replied. "But as I said before, he could have perished with the rest of his family."

"The rest of it?" Pippin blurted, worried.

"Yes," Gorfindel replied. The fellowship turned to see the blonde elven lord standing at the end of the table. "They all perish under orcan hands, not of the blaze itself. It also seems that someone had been through and given them the proper elven blessing."

"It wasn't a member of my crew?" Elrond asked.

"No. It had been done before they arrived at the site."

"And the relics?"
"They were missing too. They must have been retrieved before we arrived." Elrond sighed, turning back to the fellowship.

"The orcs search for the one who holds the relics of the fire. Adhil created the ring, neckband, and pendant for the protection of her original kingdom. After their creation, she was cast out for witchcraft charges and she set out for other places. She came upon Mirkwood and plead her case to Thranduil. He, in turn, took her in and she gave the items to him as a gift for his kindness. The power can only be controlled by a chosen one of the house of Thranduil. No one knows which of the family members it is, which at this time does us little or no good with the entire house destroyed."

"But you said Legolas' death wasn't confirmed," Aragorn spat.

"Yes, I am aware of that," Elrond growled, growing angered at his son-in-law. "But for the time being, we must assume the worst. I shall believe so until the prince is brought to me kicking and screaming. And I suggest that you do the same." The two stared at each other for a moment before Elrond began again. "The orcs want the bearer and the tokens to use of their own ministrations. They have six wraiths constantly hunting them, but they cannot catch them."

"Six?" Aragorn asked.

"Yes, one for each knot on the ring. The wraiths themselves are far fiercer than the ones under Saroun's ministrations. The fear nothing accept the flames of the fire bearer. Their only other hindrance on this quest is the fifteen devil-wolves that guard the bearer."

"Devil wolves?" Gandalf questioned. "As in the devil wolves of Elandili?"

"The same. Each one of the hounds is around three to four feet in height, two hundred pounds in weight and will fight anyone and anything to the death to protect their master. They are ferocious fighters with teeth sharp enough to sever a limb. They were trained Uvuorite herself."

"Uvuorite?" Frodo asked. "The half-elf beast trainer?" Elrond nodded.

"She trained the beasts especially for Adhil's protection. Adhil then passed it down to the Greenleaf family."

"And they couldn't have protected them?" Merry asked.

"They should have," Elrond replied. "But fifteen against an army are weighted odds. Plus, they are to protect the bearer first and foremost."

"And what does all this have to do with us?" Gimili asked.

"We must find the bearer, for I believe the orcs are being commanded by something far beyond our power. We need the relics to prevent this evil from spreading."

* * *