Fan Fiction ❯ Fate of the Fires ❯ Dreams of Fire ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fate of the Fires

Lady Mars

Part II: Dreams of Fire

Disclaimer: * Authouress enter wearing Aragorn's cape and Elrond's headband. * I don't claim ownership to Desert Rose or LotR, I'm just here to make everyone's lives more amusing.

* * *

Aragorn stood on one of the balconies, watching the world go by. His vision of the perfect life was falling apart in his hands and there wasn't anything he could do about it.

"I hate to think our elvish friend has perished so soon," Gandalf said, coming up next to him. Aragorn turned to look at the wizard. It had been a while since they had heard from each other, but this was not the news they had needed nor wanted to hear.

"I know," the king replied. "He can't be dead after all that we have been through. A simple fire couldn't kill him." Gandalf returned the King's worried gaze. This hadn't been the best of days for any member of the Fellowship, but the news didn't especially sit well with the wizard.

"It is possible he survived the blaze." It seemed logical to the wizard; he was elven after all.

"But then where is he?" The king made a good point. If the elf had survived, why hadn't he come back to see Elrond to sort the issues out?

"That I do not know. I have heard rumours going around that there is a new ranger afoot." This startled the king.

"A new ranger?"

"Yes, goes by the name Rogue."

"Rogue?" This seemed to be an awfully strange name to choose for a ranger.

"Yes. A rather elusive fellow he is. No one has ever seen his face. He mentions nothing about his past and always travels with a white dog."

"White? Like the…"

"Yes, very much so. But nobody has ever gotten close enough to it to see if it is one."

"That presents a problem."

"The real problem is the man's elusiveness. I have seen him once or twice, but he disappears before I can get to him."

"You believe he'd be of help finding Legolas?" The wizard nodded.

"Yes, a ranger like him would know, surely, if the prince was dead of alive."

"Yes, he would. But how do we get to him. Rangers are supposed to be elusive." The king had made the point the wizard knew he would.

"We'll just have to out smart him." This made sense; the only way to get to a ranger was to be witty and cunning.

"And how, exactly, do you expect to do that?" This would be a daunting task indeed.

"Do what?" Frodo asked, approaching the pair. The hobbit had been wandering around, trying to find one of the elder members to converse with.

"Out smart a ranger," Gandalf replied.

"That'll be quite a task," Frodo replied.

"Get Arwen to do it," Aragorn mumbled. He seemed to loose all of his enthusiasm in an instant.

"What?" Gandalf asked.

"Get Arwen to do it, SHE can sneak up on ANY ranger."

"Maybe I shall ask for her help. There is only one problem with that idea though."

"What?"

"We don't know where he is."

"Pippin saw what looked like a ranger this morning," Frodo added.

"Where?" Aragorn asked.

"Around the town," the hobbit replied.

"So he is in the area, the problem will be getting her to him." Aragorn was about to reply, but Elrond ran in. "What is it."

"Orcs," the lord replied. "On the eastern front."

* * *

Aragorn lightly fingered his sword, awaiting the orcs. This quick change of events had the Ranger on edge.

"Where are they?" he asked Gandalf. They couldn't see anything that resembled an orc.

"I don't know," he replied. "I haven't seen hide nor hair of an orc all day." The pair, along with hundreds of elves, one dwarve, and the four hobbits, stood waiting for the hideous beasts' arrival.

"It's quiet," Gandalf mumbled. "Far to quiet for my liking." Aragorn nodded his agreement. The air was thick, but there was no sign of the foul beings. Out of the blue, the first few orcs tore onto the battlefield and were promptly shot down by the elves. But that was to be short lived. After the first few trickled onto the scene, the rest of the flood rolled down. The group was rapidly overwhelmed and was going down fast.

"This isn't fairing as well as I had hoped!" Gimili shouted.

"I have to agree!" Merry shouted back. The orcs were gaining ground fast. This was until he showed up.

"May death come upon you!" a strange voice shouted. The orcs stopped and turned to the annoyance. He sat on a chocolate brown horse, his blonde hair held up within a braid, wrapped into a bun on the back of his head. Around him stood fourteen white wolves. The last stood in front of his horse. "All those who cross me shall meet death." The orcs made no move to flee. "You wish to stay? Fine, it shall be your destruction." The man shut his eyes and started an incantation.

"I dream of rain

I dream of gardens in the desert sand

I wake in pain

I dream of love as time runs through my hand

I dream of fire

Those dreams are tied to a horse that will never tire

And in the flames

Her shadows play in the shape of a man's desire

This desert rose

Each of her veils, a secret promise

This desert flower

No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this" The orcs had now lost all ability to move.

"And as she turns

This way she moves in the logic of all my dreams

This fire burns

I realize that nothing's as it seems

I dream of rain

I dream of gardens in the desert sand

I wake in pain

I dream of love as time runs through my hand

I dream of rain

I lift my gaze to empty skies above

I close my eyes, this rare perfume

Is the sweet intoxication of her love." His sword ignited. The blaze produced was astonishing. It burned with great force, but didn't harm its bearer.

"I dream of rain

I dream of gardens in the desert sand

I wake in pain

I dream of love as time runs through my hand

Sweet desert rose

Each of her veils, a secret promise

This desert flower

No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this

Sweet desert rose

This memory of Eden haunts us all

This desert flower, this rare perfume

Is the sweet intoxication of the fall." He lifted the weapon and swung, sending the blaze flying. The troop ducked to avoid the blaze, but it never neared them. The anguished cries of dying orc echoed through the land. When the last orc was dead, Aragorn looked up to have another glance at their savior, but he was gone.

* * *