Fan Fiction ❯ Fate of the Fires ❯ The Invasion of Rivendell ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fate of the Fires

Part VII: The Invasion of Rivendell

Lady Mars

Disclaimer: See the first few chapters and I don't own Desert Rose either.

* * *

Elrond smiled as he looked over the town of Rivendell. It had been peaceful the last few weeks; the orcs had returned to their hiding places to lick their wounds and retaliate. The elvin sprits had been lifted and they were all celebrating. For the last few days there had been people singing and feasts, but Elrond had planned the best for the up coming night. There was still something bothering the lord: Rogue. When the orcs had left, so went the ranger with them. 'What is that man up to?' he thought. 'Why did he flee with the enemy? There must be answer.' Aragorn stepped up next to him.

"Are you pondering what seems to be the common topic among everyone these days?" he asked.

"Yes and it is getting me nowhere, fast," he replied.

"It will all fall in to right sometime," Aragorn replied. "But until then, it shouldn't concern us too much."

"Who are you and what have you done with my son in law?" Aragorn laughed.

"I have done nothing with him. I have just put aside those plaguing thoughts until a later time." Elrond shook his head.

"Why are you really here?"

"I have been sent to tell you that the 'fire-callers' are here."

"They are?"

"Yes, and they wish to see you."

"Send them in then." Aragorn whistled to a servant, who in turn opened the door and let the guests enter. One was clearly elvin. She had long, rusty hair, three hoop earrings, wore a long ruby dress with purple tips on the sleeves and the bottom. Her brown boots made no noise as she entered the hall. Her blue cloak swayed in the wind and her twin swords shifted as she walked. Beside her walked a cloaked figure, whom left much to their identity. A white dog plodded alongside the cloaked one; his red and orange tipped ears shifting back and forth as if he was listening for impending danger.

"Lord Elrond," the woman said. "I am Adhil, the last of the true Astadian fire enchanters. This is my accomplice, Taur'ohtar, he has been taught by myself and his hound, Devil. I appreciate your generosity of allowing us to perform here."

"Of course," Elrond replied. Aragorn's mind reeled. 'The man must be a ranger with that name. (MN- Eddie: If you want to know what it means, go look it up.) But could it be him?' "Shall we be off?"

"We shall." Aragorn watched as Elrond lead the trio out of the room. 'I don't like the looks of him.'

* * *

Adhil slowly stepped onto the solid wooden floor, drawing the audience's attention to her.

"Good evening ladies, gentlemen, and everyone else of the sort. I am Adhil, the last remaining member of the original clan of the Astadian fire enchanters. I have come to you here tonight with my assistant to demonstrate our, or more properly HIS, special abilities. Being a fire enchanter gives us the ability to call upon the power of the fire with our bare hands. It is said that one day the very survival of Middle Earth shall be in the hands of a gifted fire caller. As far as we have seen, nothing of the sort has come to play. The sacred fire charms give the gifted one the ability to call upon the "fire demon" to eradicate the presented foe. The fate of the fires, as they are called, lies in the hands of every fire caller that has or ever will live. No one has ever seen the fire demon and I sincerely hope no one ever does. But that is beyond the point. I now leave the performance in the hands of my comrade and hope you enjoy yourselves. Thank you." She stepped off to the side, allowing her comrade to take to the floor. He extended his hands out to either side and began his incantation.

"I dream of rain

I dream of gardens in the desert sand

I wake in pain

I dream of love as time runs through my hand

I dream of fire

Those dreams are tied to a horse that will never tire

And in the flames

Her shadows play in the shape of a man's desire

This desert rose

Each of her veils, a secret promise

This desert flower

No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this"

The two torches at opposite ends of the room ignited, along with his cloak. The man disappeared into a puff of smoke and was revealed as a blonde elf adorned in red armor. He continued to light random objects as the incantation continued.

"And as she turns

This way she moves in the logic of all my dreams

This fire burns

I realize that nothing's as it seems

I dream of rain

I dream of gardens in the desert sand

I wake in pain

I dream of love as time runs through my hand

I dream of rain

I lift my gaze to empty skies above

I close my eyes, this rare perfume

Is the sweet intoxication of her love."

He stopped moving abruptly, as if he had heard something. He pulled out his bow and two arrows, igniting the tips. He locked the flaming objects onto his bow and shot them out into the forest. He pulled two more out and prepared for something else, finishing the incantation.

"I dream of rain

I dream of gardens in the desert sand

I wake in pain

I dream of love as time runs through my hand

Sweet desert rose

Each of her veils, a secret promise

This desert flower

No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this

Sweet desert rose

This memory of Edenhaunts us all

This desert flower, this rare perfume

Is the sweet intoxication of the fall."

Two flaming orcs ran out of the forest, falling to the man's next to arrows. This sent the guests into a frenzy as the rest of the orcan army charged from the surrounding area. Swords and arrows connected with many an orcan body until the army dissipated back into the woods. Aragorn turned to thank the man for the early warning, but he and Adhil were gone.

* * *

Adhil sat on her horse, awaiting her partner's arrival. He emerged out of the forest, coated in sweat, and mounted his horse.

"I knew we shouldn't have come," she mumbled.

"If we hadn't," the man replied. "Another city would have fallen."

* * *