Fan Fiction ❯ Fate of the Fires ❯ Flight of the Ranger ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fate of the Fires

Part VII: Flight of the Ranger

Lady Mars

Disclaimer: I don't own Keep Away. The rest has all ready been stated enough.

* * *

Aragorn shifted his weight on his horse. Ever since the attack, the people of Rivendell, himself included, had been on edge. Elrond had been pondering how to prevent future attacks and on how to receive companionship or comradely from the elusive being that was Rogue. The man had not been seen since the orcs had attacked, so things were being assumed. Everyone assumed he was part of the orcan army for a brief moment, but cast the thought aside rather quickly. No orcan army member would attack one of their own. The man was a pure enigma; no one could get a hold of him for very long. Arwen stared at her husband; he'd been acting oddly lately and wasn't even phased when the Hobbits had thundered past him a few moments earlier. She eased her horse up next to her husband.

"Are you going to stare at that same spot the entire day?" she asked. He turned towards her.

"No, I just was…" he started.

"Thinking about Rogue again?"

"Yes. I wish I could get near him just long enough to…"

"To what? Kill him? Get him to think right? Or to capture him to torture him for the rest of your natural life?"

'None, but I do like the idea of the last one." He smiled at her.

"Dear lord, what have I done?" Aragorn chuckled at her. "I've created a monster!" Frodo approached the pair, quietly. Aragorn turned towards the Hobbit.

"What can I do for you, Frodo?" Aragorn asked.

"Can you explain that?" Frodo replied, pointing off behind Aragorn. Aragorn look ahead to where the others sat on their horses staring in the direction Frodo pointed. He and Arwen turned around to see a plume of birds arising from the forest in a black cloud.

"I have no idea…" Out of the forest that the birds arose from rode a horse; its rider was turned to see behind him, shouting something. The rider turned back around and shouted at the Fellowship.

"MOVE!" He bellowed. The crew backed away as fast as possible and the rider tore past. Aragorn stared at him as he rode on. 'Rogue,' he thought. A brief moment later, six ringwraiths tore out of the forest behind the elf. Tailing them, a distance back, were the fifteen devil-hounds. The three some tore down the grassy plain.

"I'd hate to be him right now," Aragorn mumbled.

* * *

Rogue pressed his horse on harder. 'If they get a hold of me,' he thought. 'I am so dead.' He and his horse had re-entered a forestial area and he had to dodge the flying branches.

"Arod, faster," he barked. The horse bolted foreword. The ringwraiths lunged towards him again; the dogs hot on their heels. Rogue turned the horse back around a tree and ran back in the direction in which they came. The wraiths and dogs got tangled up in the turn, giving the ranger an opportunity to escape. He re-entered the plain, never letting up on his horse. When one of the wraiths made a move, Devil lunged at him. The dog latched his teeth onto the ankle of the horse, sending the horse and wraith toppling. The arrow the wraith was about to launch shifted, slashing Rogue across the wrist. The elf hissed in pain, but pressed on. He slowly drew the horse to stop in front of the fellowship again. The wraith immerged at the other end of the plain, stopping too. The dogs bolted to their master, snapping at the horses as they passed. Rogue sat on his horse, breathing heavily, muttering something.

"Sickness spilling through your eyes,

Craving everything that you thought was alive,

Stab me in my heart again

Drag me through your wasted life,

Are you forever dead?

Do like I told you, stay away from me!

Never misunderstand me, keep away from me!" The wraiths shifted, watching the man. "Twisting everything around that you say

Smack me in my mouth 200 times every other day

Rag me, I don't hear you anymore,

Not yet, find out what it means to me.

I don't know who you are

Dragging on so lonely, aren't you tired baby?

Breathing life into your lungs,

Are you immune to me?

Do like I told you, stay away from me!

Never misunderstand me, keep away from me!" He launched a flaming arrow at them, scattering them. When they regrouped, the ranger had disappeared along with the Fellowship.

* * *

Rogue sat on a boulder, thinking. Devil sat next to him, licking the blood away from the wound on his right wrist. 'This isn't good,' he thought. 'Another perpetual scar and one more entity closer to getting me. I CAN NOT let this happen again!'

* * *