Fan Fiction ❯ Father of the Heartless ❯ Bars ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wow! I've actually had six visits! I didn't think anyone would even click on this story…

To commemorate this historic event, I've updated!

To tell the truth, I rather like Ansem in fan fiction. He has potential. But…well…read on. And before anyone goes "oh, great, another terrific magician who saves the day!", don't. Criss' magic does not have a lot of bearing on this story. (She's actually an original character in a novel I'm writing, but I had to flesh out the setting, hence this fan fic.)

I don't own Kingdom Hearts or Riku. I do own Cleo, Criss, the world of Yan-Shu, and this plotline do not steal it. Thank you and have a pleasant day.

Chapter 2: Bars

The nights on Yan-Shu had always been long. Since the darkness fell, night had taken on a new meaning. When the Heartless came, everything changed. Once, Yan-Shu had been a peaceful place, full of light and happiness. Children always played in the streets, long into the night. Then, night had been their ally, their cloak against whatever trivial danger preyed upon them.

But no longer.

Criss studied the face of the boy she had saved from certain death. So curved and feline-like, she was shocked to find him terrified of cats. Though, he fervently denied this. His hair had been silver. The color of royalty, silver was. It had to be dyed immediately. In the corner, his bright clothes sat, folded neatly away under a black cloak. Should any of Yan's footmen barge in, which they were apt to do, all they would see is the darkness that Criss had plunged them into again once Riku had fallen asleep.

She didn't need much light to see, just as Cleo didn't. Yan-Shu's famous magic long ago allowed her the abilities she longed for. Most people were shocked to see her calico hair, but Yan approved of it, thank heavens. He liked cats, a lot, for some strange reason. Criss was sure she, as a lowly village girl without much money, would have been devoured long ago if she didn't share that with Yan.

The night wore on outside, but Criss didn't sleep. She never slept so early in the night. In her blood ran the blood of Ages, a powerful but dormant magic that unfortunately made her a bit of an insomniac. Riku stirred. The quilt on which he lay was folded over several times, but it probably wasn't all too comforting for an outsider like him.

Criss laid her head down next to Cleo, who purred in her sleep. Of all things, why did Yan love cats so much? Why did he have to share that one love with Criss? Why did he hate men so much, as he was one himself? No one, not even Shu herself, most likely, knew. Yan was pompous, but he kept his secrets well.

Sitting up, Criss called a glass of water to her. This night would prove sleepless, too. She sighed, sipping at her water. Cleo growled, her cranberry eyes open again. She bounded over to Riku. Nestled in his arms, unbeknownst to him, she gave one final purr and fell fast asleep. Criss smiled. The boy would have a pleasant surprise when morning broke at last.

***

Hazy yellow eyes pierced the darkness, half-lidded and groggy. What happened? Where was he? He ran a hand through his silver-white hair. Stopped short. What? Bars?! He shot his gaze toward every corner of the darkness. He was in a cage! How had he ended up in a cage?!

"So you're awake at last," said a voice from the darkness. "Excellent."

"Who are you?"

"Just an old…friend, you might say," said the voice. "Ansem, you don't look so good. Perhaps you'd better lie DOWN!" The cage jolted from nowhere, throwing Ansem to his knees. In the darkness, a face pressed closer. "Don't you remember me, Ansem? Your old colleague?"

Ansem gasped. "Yan! What are you doing? Why have I been caged?" He grabbed the bars, shaking them roughly. Tried to call the Heartless, but they didn't come.

Yan clicked his tongue in mock pity. "You can't do it anymore, old friend. The Heartless obey only one on this world. Me."

"Why?"

"Don't you know?" Yan grinned, his sharp teeth glistening. "I'm their father. And I'm hungry, Ansem. I'm always hungry."

He opened the cage, a sharp knife in hand.

Ansem's eyes widened, for the first time in a long while, in fear.

There are places in the universe where no one can hear you scream. One is space.

Another is Yan's lair.

Nonetheless, Ansem screamed.

***

I actually rather like Ansem, but I needed to defeat any purpose in your minds to think that Ansem and Yan were allies. Sorry to any Ansem fans like me!