Fan Fiction ❯ first draft ❯ Prologue

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Prologue

"Master, have you called me?" asked a young boy as he entered a dark room. The room was completely black except for a small glow of candle light at the far end of the room. In the middle of all the candles sat an old man writing away on some papers.

"Yes my boy," said the old man, not even looking up from his writing. "I have a job for you. I need you to travel to the Blight Swamp and find a man there by the name of Jodah.

"The Blight Swamp?" the young boy asked in a frightened voice.

"Of course. I need him here within the week. The fate of our kingdom, unfortunately, will solely rest upon his shoulders." The old man stopped his writing and stared into the candle in front of him. "To bad he doesn't know that."

"But Master, what can a mage accomplish that you, Master of all Wizards in York?"

"A normal mage wouldn't be able to do anything, but Jodah isn't normal. He has a power that is unlike any mage or wizard," stated the old man as he sat back into his chair.

"If you wish my Master," the boy said as he bowed in honor of his master. He quickly turned and headed out the door.

After a few minutes of thinking, the wizard got up and walked to the window facing the front gates. He looked down just in time to see the small boy ride out of the castle towards the Blight Swamp. "I pray that you hurry, my boy. Without Jodah's help, I fear, this world will be a bleak one.

Suddenly in a flash of bright light, the old man watched as his study vanished and a village to replace it. As he looked around all the buildings were completely covered in fire. As he made his way threw the village, he saw the corpses of all that lived here before the fire. As he approached the front gate of the village, he saw a boy on the verge of being a man. He knew he didn't know the boy but he knew the glowing mark on his forehead. It was the letter Z. As the wizard took in all the details of the mark he noticed two more things behind the boy. The first was a sword made of rock stuck in the ground. The second thing he saw was the King of Duke standing with a bloody sword in one hand and the head of the boy in the other.

As quick as he was taken away, he found himself again back inside his study again. "Jodah, I pray you come quick."