Fan Fiction ❯ Flaming Phoenix ❯ Pyra ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2
 
Pyra
 
The clerk didn't know what happened, and probably never will. A cloud of smoke rushed through the boutique where she was working, sweeping up a few small items, but nothing expensive was taken.
 
“Here we are in Hop City, where yet another `phantom robbery' has taken place. Authorities are baffled as of how these crimes are performed, but we have been assured that headway is being made.” A young blonde reporter spoke into her microphone with the enthusiasm which marked a rookie who had just received her first assignment. “There is also talk of involving the Teen Titans chapter from Jump City in the investigation, which leads me to wonder if this may be the first step to them returning to their former glory.”
 
From her hiding place in a back alley, Pyra (the girl) just smirked. Several times, there had been `supernatural detectives' trying to solve the mystery, but they were all pathetic. Nobody ever seemed to be able to figure out that she was the smoke.
 
Slam! Everyone jumped as Robin stormed out of the upper room of the Tower and let the door rush shut at full speed.
 
“Does anyone know what set him off?” Cyborg wondered.
 
“He just looked at the calendar.” Raven offered.
 
Terra took a look and her face darkened as well. “The day after tomorrow is Phoenix's sixteenth birthday, which means it's been a little over a year since she joined the Titans.”
 
“No wonder he's so upset.” Beast Boy mumbled.
 
The phone rang, interrupting everyone's pity fest. After a moment, Cyborg got up to answer it. “Hello, Cyborg speaking. No, Robin isn't in right now. Okay . . . I'll be sure to let him know.”
 
“What was that about?” Terra asked.
 
“Hop City mayor says he needs our help with some strange robberies. There was a lot of background noise, but I'm pretty sure that he said something about `smoke'.” Cyborg shrugged.
 
“We might as well go. I wouldn't want to have that Icy B. Cool guy writing more junk about us.” Robin ordered as he re-entered the room, and paused before finishing. “Let's do this one for Phoenix.”