Fan Fiction ❯ Flaming Phoenix ❯ Memories ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4
 
Memories
 
“I've been asking around. Seems that Pyra has been giving the local pick-pockets a good working over. Most of the ones I could find freaked out just from hearing her name.” Cyborg chuckled. “That's our Phoenix, memory or no.”
 
“What good does that do?” Terra asked sarcastically.
 
“We can set something up.” Robin said quietly as he tried to think of a plan. “No pickpocket manages to pawn off what ever they snatched. If we could set something up, maybe we could lure her out.”
 
“One of us could pretend to be the victim, and the other be the pick-pocket. That way, we'll have a better chance of finding her.” Raven offered.
 
“That brings up a question. How do we keep her from running away?” Beast Boy wondered.
 
“I can take care of that.” Robin assured the group. “We just need a spot.”
 
“Well, this `Big Ernie's Pawn Shop' would be a good place to try. That's where they all get attacked, right before they cash in.” Cyborg finished.
 
“Okay, then that settles this, we do it tomorrow.” Robin finalized.
 
Pyra was lying on top of a cloud in smoke form when she heard the words which always sent her into action. “HELP! HE STOLE MY PURSE!”
 
Down below, a young, blonde, teenaged girl (Terra) was trying to chase down a boy about the same age who was wearing a black ski mask, even though it was nearly seventy degrees, and holding a pink handbag (Robin). Eventually, or so it appeared to bystanders, the chase was given up, but one particular cloud of smoke kept a close distance between it and the thief.
 
Panting, Robin sauntered into the alley where Big Ernie's was located. Just as he was about to turn the doorknob, he felt a chill run down his back. Turning, he saw Pyra. Her eyes were flaming and she looked about ready to kill.
 
“I guess you goons haven't learned your lesson yet, huh? I'll just be sure to make you the ultimate example.” Pyra reached inside her cloak and drew her sword. “Now tell me, when you make a chicken salad . . . do you use crispy or tender fried chicken?”
 
Eyes wide, Robin barely had time to duck before the crystal blade met cement block. “You can't be serious!” He yelped as his escape was blocked by a ring of fire. This wasn't part of the plan.
 
“I'm as serious as salt. You aren't going to make it out of this alley!” She screamed as she made another slashing attempt. This time the edge of the blade caught onto the side of the ski mask's side seam and ripped it. The mask fell off, leaving Robin's face in plain view just as another blow was on its way down.
 
“Phoenix, stop! I know what happened to you! You drank a potion that was supposed to keep you from remembering me and the other Titans. Just stop and let me help you.” Robin pleaded as Pyra halted in mid-strike.
 
“No!” Now it was Pyra's turn to be frightened. “Why don't you leave me alone? Get away from me!” She turned to run, but this time Robin stopped her with a liquid nitrogen disk thrown at her feet.
 
Pyra lost her balance and fell forwards to the ground. She tired to thaw the substance holding her, but the flames didn't work. “Phoenix, please . . . just let me help you. I know that you're hurting . . . all of us are. You're hurting because you're trying to remember, but can't. We're hurting because we saw and remember everything, and can't forget.” Breathing a sigh of relief, Robin noticed that the dangerous and emotionally unstable Pyra was shifting into the calmer Amber.
 
“Why? Why do you want to help me? What makes me so special?” Amber whimpered as Robin knelt down next to her.
 
“Because I love you, Phoenix. No amount of magic potion could make me forget how I feel about you. I promise, if you come with me, we'll find a way to bring your memory back.” Robin broke the ice holding Amber's feet. “You don't have to worry any more. As long as you're with me, I promise you'll be safe.”
 
Leaning on Robin's shoulder, the haze which had held back everything Phoenix knew dissolved. “Huh? Robin!” She hugged Robin as tight as she could. “Thank you so much for not giving up on me!”
 
“Wha? Phoenix . . . you remember me?” Robin caught onto Phoenix's pure joy and hugged her back. “Don't ever leave me again, okay?”
 
“I'm sorry, I didn't know. When I drank Athena's potion, she said that it would only repress the memories of the Olympus battle. I never thought that I'd forget about you too . . . if I had, I would've found another alternative.” Phoenix sobbed.
 
“Hey, no crying. You're back, and that's the important thing.” Robin smiled as the other Titans surrounded them. “Let's go home. After all, it is your birthday.”